Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Is that not like campaigning against fake tan?

Addle wrote: »
    Is that not like campaigning against fake tan?

I think that the difference is that fake tan is temporary and a topical application whereas the whitening creams alter the skins makeup by reducing the melatonin in the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Products that decrease melanin production are very controversial because it reinforces the message that white skin in the most attractive. There's also the issue that melanin offers some protection from UV radiation.

False tan just causes a chemical reaction to make the surface of the skin look darker, but is temporary as the skin cells flake off.

Those who shout "racist!" shouldn't sign lucrative deals with a company that supplies products to make other skin ethnicities appear whiter. Those who preach about compassion and keep rescue hens should probably not sign deals with companies that persist with animal testing either.

"Pimp My Title" seems to be raison d'etre, maybe MTV will give them their own show?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

If he's not careful, he is going to end up alone estranged from his birth family and kids. She will divorce him citing his mental health issues and won't leave the kids near him because of said issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

regarding this skin colour / being black 'thing'. I already posted my view on this in the wedding thread two years ago and got kind of attacked for it, but I still stand to it and think it's an important aspect now her twisted and manipulative nature and incredibility gets visible more and more:

it's all about 'being black' for Meghan, but then if you wouldn't know she has some black grandparent or whatever, the last thing one would assume she has ancesters from Africa. Just from her looks, she could be from anywhere in Europe to South America or Middle East.

Ok, that completely pale skin colour could be natural as nearest relatives are mainly white (although I doubt it is), but her natural hair is afro-curly. But I've never ever seen her with her natural hair style, except in childhood photos. Instead always meticuliously straight hair. Not sure if it isn't a wig.

Obviously being partly black is a very important thing for her, but then she's never, ever portraying that in her looks. The opposite, hiding it.

Fmpov that's very hypocritical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

tara73 wrote: »
    regarding this skin colour / being black 'thing'. I already posted my view on this in the wedding thread two years ago and got kind of attacked for it, but I still stand to it and think it's an important aspect now her twisted and manipulative nature and incredibility gets visible more and more:

it's all about 'being black' for Meghan, but then if you wouldn't know she has some black grandparent or whatever, the last thing one would assume she has ancesters from Africa. Just from her looks, she could be from anywhere in Europe to South America or Middle East.

Ok, that completely pale skin colour could be natural as nearest relatives are mainly white (although I doubt it is), but her natural hair is afro-curly. But I've never ever seen her with her natural hair style, except in childhood photos. Instead always meticuliously straight hair. Not sure if it isn't a wig.

Obviously being partly black is a very important thing for her, but then she's never, ever portraying that in her looks. The opposite, hiding it.

Fmpov that's very hypocritical.

Meghan's mother is African American! It's not some way back black ancestor but her entire maternal line. So yeah, she is dual heritage and identifies as black, which she is perfectly entitled to do. Plenty of dual heritage people have naturally paler skin than others, even amongst siblings, just like there is no standard white or black skin tone.How do you know what her natural hair is afro curly if you've never seen it?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Meghan's mother is African American! It's not some way back black ancestor but her entire maternal line. So yeah, she is dual heritage and identifies as black, which she is perfectly entitled to do. Plenty of dual heritage people have naturally paler skin than others, even amongst siblings, just like there is no standard white or black skin tone.How do you know what her natural hair is afro curly if you've never seen it?

ah, expected that.

Just this: You don't get my point.

And if you respond that strongly, I would suggest you also read the post you respond to strongly:). There's written: I've seen photos from childhodd from her with her natural afro-curly hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

How are they going to balance this skin whitening issue, a lot of squirming to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

How are they going to balance this skin whitening issue, a lot of squirming to follow.

They won’t have to because they are Harry and Meghan and it’s someone else’s fault. I mean that’s what they’ve done so far so why change a winning(at least in their eyes) formula. It’s everyone else’s fault and if there’s any questioning of what they do or say, it’s some form of racism directed at them. Someone’s race or creed or gender IMO does not exclude them for legitimate criticism of decisions they make or comments they make in public.

Or it seems that those criticisms only hold for “the other side” and while I consider myself liberal on most things, I must say I find how some liberals act completely counter productive because they’ve a holier than thou vibe off them. Personal responsibility may as well be in a natural history museum with the dodo and others.

Anyway sorry that’s not really the point of the thread but it ties into the narrative of Harry and Meghan kind of.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'm starting to think that Harry is having some sort of a breakdown or mental health crisis. This behaviour is not normal at all. Really bizarre.

I think so too. In fact, I found his portion of the Oprah interview far more interesting than Meghan’s. Her interview was as expected to me for the most part but I found his to be surprising and revealing in many ways. He seemed deeply uncomfortable at some of the things Meghan discussed with Oprah (for example, her bringing up the conversations about Archie’s skin colour) and I was surprised that he was so frank about his issues with his father and brother. Not a happy bunny at all. I dare say, he seems a bit lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

he seems a bit lost.

Agree. Lost and isolated.

I think that he was always a bit needy. William and Kate were his supporters. Charles did his best, but like a lot of men of his generation, wasn’t very hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Still blaming his dad & grandparents for his issues. Well guess what, Har. Most people's upbringing left some scars. Turning your families "failings" into a public spectacle is trashy in the extreme. The world is not your psychiatrists couch. You're making an absolute show of yourself. Have some bloody decorum. Learn to forgive and man up. Hopeful your brother will be there for you when your LA hangers melt away and the spotlight (which you are apparently anxious to avoid) fades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Publicly admitting he still has anger issues and it was Meagain who told him to go to therapy.

Just shows how dumb / naive he is in that he has now given her the ammunition she needs for future divorce filing when he's no longer of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I think so too. In fact, I found his portion of the Oprah interview far more interesting than Meghan’s. Her interview was as expected to me for the most part but I found his to be surprising and revealing in many ways. He seemed deeply uncomfortable at some of the things Meghan discussed with Oprah (for example, her bringing up the conversations about Archie’s skin colour) and I was surprised that he was so frank about his issues with his father and brother. Not a happy bunny at all. I dare say, he seems a bit lost.

One thing that struck me as odd was that he mentioned their dogs several times. And I say this as a huge dog lover, but usually a toddler takes over your life completely for a few years and that’s all you talk about. Maybe it’s different when you have lots of nannies and staff, maybe he has a lot more free time to spend with the dogs. I just remember thinking something was a little off with that, and wondering was he a bit detached - like his father?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ms. Newbie18

Multipass wrote: »

One thing that struck me as odd was that he mentioned their dogs several times. And I say this as a huge dog lover, but usually a toddler takes over your life completely for a few years and that’s all you talk about. Maybe it’s different when you have lots of nannies and staff, maybe he has a lot more free time to spend with the dogs. I just remember thinking something was a little off with that, and wondering was he a bit detached - like his father?

Could the dog be therapy dog? That would explain why he mentioned it so much. I have not listened to the podcast myself.

Quoted from DM:

'Soon he will not be wanted on either side of the pond': Prince Harry sparks furious backlash in the US after calling the First Amendment 'bonkers' despite admitting he doesn't 'understand it'

For someone who left the RF because they wanted the right to say what they wished, you think this would be an easy one for him to grasp.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9585197/Prince-Harry-calls-Amendment-bonkers.html

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

This will be interesting. I've said from the start it was only a matter of time before they align their brand with a company that causes them embarrassment. I imagine the Daily Mail will continue to dig into every company they associate with.

They cannot promote racial equality and associate with companies that produce skin-damaging beauty products for BAME people to use in order to lighten their skin. The whole purpose of skin lightening is because of the perception that paler is "better". It's as problematic as BAME women being told to westernise their hair to be 'more professional in the workplace' or for Asian people wanting surgery to get eyelid surgery. It undermines any efforts towards changing attitudes towards people of colour. Embarrassing for a black woman and her newly woke husband. She especially will have to distance herself from it. But she's good at that.
    • Harry and Meghan faced calls to scrap their deal with P&G because one of its biggest suppliers of palm oil – FGV Holdings – has been accused of exploiting and abusing workers in Malaysia;
    • P&G was also lambasted for its role in the destruction of large swathes of virgin forest in Canada to make loo roll. It is claimed the company buys an estimated 490,000 tons of wood pulp a year from Canada's boreal forest;
    • A study by a major US environmental organisation found that suppliers of wood pulp from the forest were cutting down the habitat of the woodland caribou, an 'at-risk' species of reindeer.
    This is the problem with big brands. So many have so subsidiaries and their subsidiaries have subsidiaries and one of them is bound to have a factory or farm in a developing country that say, has a local legal loophole to employ child labour or exploitative conditions. Or one that is harming the local environment with pollutants, or by stripping habitats for raw materials.

Where H&M are at the moment are basically influencers. And that work fine for the likes of the Kardashians where $$ is the bottom line and they don't pretend to or GAF about orangutans or rainforests. At least there's consistency there with that lot. H&M are equally all about the endorsements and the big money but they'll be hard pressed to find a fully ethical company that actually needs them to promote them.

Being global humanitarians telling us to save the planet isn't compatible with the big brand endorsement they need for the income. They will have been told this of course - the royals have known this for a long time, but as always, they know better than all the experts out there. I've no issue with them flogging brands and endorsements - they are no longer working royals so let them off. Just don't turn around and lecture us on the planet and racial issues when you are taking money off a company that creates a product to continue to promote the idea 'white is better'.

So it will be interesting to see which goes first - their thirst for money, or their principles. I know which one I'm betting on.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/10/16/p-g-invents-way-to-lighten-skin.html

I think this is their way out.

No, it wasn't invented at all to lighten the skin of healthy people, it's for people with health issues of the skin, old people with dark spots for example...:rolleyes:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/10/16/p-g-invents-way-to-lighten-skin.html

No, it wasn't invented at all to lighten the skin of healthy people, it's for people with health issues of the skin, old people with dark spots for example...:rolleyes:

Such BS. I went to Asia for the 1st time over ten years ago and could not believe the amount of these skin whiting products everywhere. The street vendors sold them the local food shops, and every salon carried them. Nothing got to do with sun damaged skin..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Asian chemists have entire aisles of skin lightening creams, the same way that Boots have entire aisles of suntan lotion, fake tan, bronzers and applicators.

There's no way it's aimed at the ageing demographic for their liver spots. It's aimed at people already feeling like they are or have been discriminated at by their skin colour and that by changing their skin colour, feel it will improve an aspect of their life - maybe make them more desirable, or employable. There's no whitewash for this, pardon the pun. Or to use another old marketing phrase, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

I'd say the Queen is not amused. I mean the Queen of US TV of course ;)

Neyite wrote: »
    Asian chemists have entire aisles of skin lightening creams, the same way that Boots have entire aisles of suntan lotion, fake tan, bronzers and applicators.

There's no way it's aimed at the ageing demographic for their liver spots. It's aimed at people already feeling like they are or have been discriminated at by their skin colour and that by changing their skin colour, feel it will improve an aspect of their life - maybe make them more desirable, or employable. There's no whitewash for this, pardon the pun. Or to use another old marketing phrase, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

my last sentence in my last post was sarcastic, hence the roll eye smiley...

H&M are attacked to have joined a deal with P&G who sells skin lightening products. P&G stated, as in the link I posted, that it is just for people with skin problems. That's what H&M could use to proof they didn't sign a deal with a company who sells unethical products.

That aside, my opinion doesn't differ from yours!

Jesus, do I have to explain every post I do, although it's very obvious how it's meant..!!:confused::rolleyes:

Neyite wrote: »

I (thankfully) didnt have cause to go near the chemists while I was there but if the local spar was selling them i can only imagine what the chemists was like.

I was pretty shocked tbh. I had naively thought that all that white skin is best thinking had moved on years ago in Asia and Africa. Sadly not :(

The aides must have gotten the go ahead from senior royals to discuss this? Meghan appears to be very quiet in the whole thing recently.

Masters of strategy, those courtiers. They will not be saying or doing anything without the Queen's tacit approval. This is coming from the top without appearing to come from the top. Along with all the other contradictory statements it's letting their own words hoist them by their own petard.

Harry criticizing the First Amendment is a bad move. For liberals they could have won over a large chunk of conservatives because he's ex military, a decorated veteran etc so could have won over people that wouldn't have otherwise given them the time of day. Now he and Meghan aren't fans of people saying whatever they like about them. Taking an active role in ensuring Piers Morgan getting fired with a personal complaint is pretty much them proving they aren't fans of the First Amendment. But going on record criticism it when you are a guest in the country, is rather stupid.

my last sentence in my last post was sarcastic, hence the roll eye smiley...

H&M are attacked to have joined a deal with P&G who sells skin lightening products. P&G stated, as in the link I posted, that it is just for people with skin problems. That's what H&M could use to proof they didn't sign a deal with a company who sells unethical products.

That aside, my opinion doesn't differ from yours!

Jesus, do I have to explain every post I do, although it's very obvious how it's meant..!!:confused::rolleyes:

I wasn't actually disagreeing with you there, just adding what I knew of my own experiences being in Asia. I know you were of the same mind as me that their spin about it being for aging people was BS.

I don't understand the big deal with skin whitening products, the Asians want whiter skin. So we just assume it's because they are somehow brainwashed into thinking white = better?
    Maybe they just want whiter skin, the way we want darker skin?
    I've been to Asia & seen the products everywhere, they wouldn't be there is there was no market for them. I've been rubbed and so has my hair, people have taken photos of me cos of my paleness, It is just different.
    Self tanning products wouldn't be for sale everywhere here if there wasn't a market for them.
    Same with hair dye, everyone wants what they don't have or the opposite of themselves.
    It's not always about race.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I don't understand the big deal with skin whitening products, the Asians want whiter skin. So we just assume it's because they are somehow brainwashed into thinking white = better?
    Maybe they just want whiter skin, the way we want darker skin?
    I've been to Asia & seen the products everywhere, they wouldn't be there is there was no market for them. I've been rubbed and so has my hair, people have taken photos of me cos of my paleness, It is just different.
    Self tanning products wouldn't be for sale everywhere here if there wasn't a market for them.
    Same with hair dye, everyone wants what they don't have or the opposite of themselves.
    It's not always about race.

You are of course correct not everything is about race. And in some instances the usage of skin whiting agents does predate colonialism. Paler skin-tone was a show of wealth (blue blood) the poor work outside and thus had darker skin.

In saying that colonialism did make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Treat people with dignity!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Very hard to believe he's happily married. Since he met Markle he has two looks, either completely lost or angry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

hamburgham wrote: »
    Very hard to believe he's happily married. Since he met Markle he has two looks, either completely lost or angry.

Or constipated imo.

To thine own self be true

Advertisement