Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

My fav Royal! She would have made a stellar Queen

That would be one seriously paired back, no nonsense Monarchy. I dont think she'd want it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

My fav Royal! She would have made a stellar Queen

I love the idea of her yelling “Not bloody likely” at her would-be kidnappers! :pac:

She did once call Irish people pigs though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I love the idea of her yelling “Not bloody likely” at her would-be kidnappers! :pac:

She did once call Irish people pigs though. :(

I think that was Margaret!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

And I wonder how big a story this even is in the US. It's such a vast and varied nation. I think it will always be a bigger story in the UK.

I think for the moment he is possibly a bit of a novelty in America. A real live royal. And spilling the beans on life inside the palace.

In the U.K. some people are probably annoyed particularly because of the timing of his revelations, with his grandfather's death, and because many of them would have great respect for the queen.

Obviously I am just guessing :D ...none of them have confided in me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Does everything related to these 2 have to be extreme drama? Who doesn't answer their phone in the middle of the night when they were well aware there is a family member about to pass away?
    Prince Harry got a phone call recently with some tragic news, but he never answered the phone and cops ended up at his door.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... back on April 9, someone from the U.S. Embassy began calling Harry just before 3 AM to inform him his grandfather, Prince Philip, had died.

It's unclear if Harry's ringer was turned off or whether he and Meghan were just sound sleepers, but no one answered. After repeated attempts, the Embassy rep called the Santa Barbara Sheriff's Dept. and asked if an officer could go to Harry's Montecito estate to inform him the Embassy was urgently trying to reach him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Does everything related to these 2 have to be extreme drama? Who doesn't answer their phone in the middle of the night when they were well aware there is a family member about to pass away?

Yeah that’s weird. The more than one phone call close together in the middle of the night is a sure sign something bad is happening to someone close to you. It’s the one thing I hope I never get directly(I remember my parents getting them years ago) but given it was reported that there was a plane on stand by for Harry, you think the phone calls at night just might add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah that’s weird. The more than one phone call close together in the middle of the night is a sure sign something bad is happening to someone close to you. It’s the one thing I hope I never get directly(I remember my parents getting them years ago) but given it was reported that there was a plane on stand by for Harry, you think the phone calls at night just might add up.

Exactly. They obviously couldn't announce it until he had been informed. Probably why it didn't happen until 12pm uk time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

He probably couldn’t hear the phone ring with your one wailing next to him in the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

I think that was Margaret!

Oh yeah, I always get that wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Interesting that one of his family didn't ring to tell him ...

• Advertisement

Interesting that one of his family didn't ring to tell him ...

They most likely were ringing! And when they didn’t get an answer, did the only other thing possible. Contact the Embassy. The thing about a plane being at the ready, he flew home on a scheduled flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 BrokenWingz

They most likely were ringing! And when they didn’t get an answer, did the only other thing possible. Contact the Embassy. The thing about a plane being at the ready, he flew home on a scheduled flight.

I can just imagine the petulant little prince refusing to answer a call from his father because “he wasn’t answering my calls so I won’t take his”. Or Megsy told him not to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

These comments about not answering calls in the middle of the night... do most people not turn on DND all night?
    I know I do. Especially with a young child, trying to get proper sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

D rog wrote: »
    These comments about not answering calls in the middle of the night... do most people not turn on DND all night?
    I know I do. Especially with a young child, trying to get proper sleep.

Even if you knew an elderly relative was dying and you had to travel home for the funeral?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Even if you knew an elderly relative was dying and you had to travel home for the funeral?

If I wasn't already there in the vicinity of where they were, or with them, then I probably wouldn't take DND off, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I very much doubt that Meghan or Harry have to worry about Archie waking at night. Harry really has shown himself to be a solid gold twit.

I very much doubt that Meghan or Harry have to worry about Archie waking at night. Harry really has shown himself to be a solid gold twit.

Exactly. They've got 'people' to settle the crying baby. Or do people genuinely believe that those who can afford to live in a $14m mansion do that kind of thing themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Deeec

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Exactly. They've got 'people' to settle the crying baby. Or do people genuinely believe that those who can afford to live in a $14m mansion do that kind of thing themselves?

Completely agree. There is no doubt that they love Archie but I doubt they are hands on parents all the time like the rest of us.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Line of succession here. https://www.royal.uk/succession

The line of Succession

SOVEREIGN

1. The Prince of Wales
    2. The Duke of Cambridge
    3. Prince George of Cambridge
    4. Princess Charlotte of Cambridge
    5. Prince Louis of Cambridge
    6. The Duke of Sussex
    7. Master Archie Mountbatten-Windsor
    8. The Duke of York
    9. Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi
    10. Princess Eugenie, Mrs. Jack Brooksbank
    11. Master August Brooksbank
    12. The Earl of Wessex
    13. Viscount Severn
    14. The Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor
    15. The Princess Royal
    16. Mr. Peter Phillips
    17. Miss Savannah Phillips
    18. Miss Isla Phillips
    19. Mrs. Michael Tindall
    20. Miss Mia Tindall
    21. Miss Lena Tindall
    22. Master Lucas Tindall

It occurred to me that when the Queen changed the order of succession in 2015 it ensured that any children of William, male and female would take precedence over Harry. It was seen at the time to be correcting a sexist order of succession so that female children didn't get bumped down the line but it was also probably seen to be no harm for Harry to be bumped down the line a place or two given the various shenanigans he got up to - there comes a point where they couldn't pass it off as youthful indulgence any more - for example, partying in Croatia in 2011 and then even worse behaviour in Vegas the following year. I mean he was 27-28 then. They might have feared he was heading for a lifetime of being a playboy prince.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Neyite wrote: »
    It occurred to me that when the Queen changed the order of succession in 2015 it ensured that any children of William, male and female would take precedence over Harry. It was seen at the time to be correcting a sexist order of succession so that female children didn't get bumped down the line but it was also probably seen to be no harm for Harry to be bumped down the line a place or two given the various shenanigans he got up to - there comes a point where they couldn't pass it off as youthful indulgence any more - for example, partying in Croatia in 2011 and then even worse behaviour in Vegas the following year. I mean he was 27-28 then. They might have feared he was heading for a lifetime of being a playboy prince.

William's kids would always have had precedence over Harry.
    Once William had a kid, that child would inherit male or female.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I thought the rules were specifically changed so if it was a girl it would still be ahead of Harry?

lazygal wrote: »
    I thought the rules were specifically changed so if it was a girl it would still be ahead of Harry?

No, they were changed so that if it was girl first she would be ahead of a son of William who was born later. In the event William had a son (George) first. If William only had daughter's they would still have been ahead of Harry in the sucession.

The change means that Charlotte is ahead of Louis in the succession.
    Whereas Anne is behind her two younger brothers.

I think it also made it so that all of William's children get a Prince/Princess title on birth. Previously only William's first born son would have gotten a Prince title until Charles takes the throne. If they hadn't done that and Charlotte had been born first, Charlotte would have been Lady Charlotte & the heir to the throne but George, her younger brother would have been Prince George.

If Harry took precedence over William's female kids, then the queen wouldn't have inherited the throne, her father's brothers or their sons would have.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

So irrespective of the gender, under the pre-2015 male primogeniture it would have been:

Queen, Charles, William, George, Louis, Charlotte, Harry?

Now it's
    Queen, Charles, William, George, Charlotte, Louis, Harry, so either way Harry would have stayed in the same order?

Didn't know that. I got it wrong then.

Neyite wrote: »
    So irrespective of the gender, under the pre-2015 male primogeniture it would have been:

Queen, Charles, William, George, Louis, Charlotte, Harry?

Now it's
    Queen, Charles, William, George, Charlotte, Louis, Harry, so either way Harry would have stayed in the same order?

Didn't know that. I got it wrong then.

Yes, you can see it in the list it's:
    Andrew - Beatrice - Eugenie - August - Edward
    not
    Andrew - Edward - James

But Harry's still first up for Regent if anything were to happen that would leave the throne vacant before George reaches his majority. I presume he would pass it on to whomever is next up for that thankless task as he seems to want to settle in America

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

But Harry's still first up for Regent if anything were to happen that would leave the throne vacant before George reaches his majority. I presume he would pass it on to whomever is next up for that thankless task as he seems to want to settle in America

Andrew!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well one of the conditions is you need to reside in the UK and Harry may be taking himself out of the hunt by his decision to move to America. It’s Prince Andrew next which is some double for very different reasons, so princess Beatrice would be next.

Well one of the conditions is you need to reside in the UK and Harry may be taking himself out of the hunt by his decision to move to America. It’s Prince Andrew next which is some double for very different reasons, so princess Beatrice would be next.

Could you imagine Andrew?! The only person that would be happy with that would be the ghost of Georgre iv. Finally, a Regent less popular than he was.

I remember when she was born, some crazy psychic type lady on TV in England, she said that Beatrice had amazing things ahead and would be Queen!!
    Something to do with her birthday 8-8-88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Here he is with good things to say about his dad and also a taste of the paparazzi interest in Catherine.

Advertisement