Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

They essentially said they loathe the monarchy institution and now they've named their child after the head of it!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

It's lovely news. Just embarrassing really about the names. Bit late now after their criticism of the Royal Family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

at this stage, I think Harry lost all qualms which could be left to use and misuse his family to keep himself in the papers.

Just born but I pity this poor children with this parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They essentially said they loathe the monarchy institution and now they've named their child after the head of it!

No they didn't, that's just your interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lilibet.... sounds like a betting firm.

Awful spelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Born two days ago - impressive security.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Do they qualify for a council house now that they have two kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Lilibet.... sounds like a betting firm.

Awful spelling.

How would you spell it ? Its how the Queen was known when young

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

bubblypop wrote: »
    Bit late to lick ass now I think!!!

It's absolutely mind boggling that they picked the queen's nickname after trashing the monarchy.

I know the Queen has an input into names but maybe that's only for Willians children as I doubt she approved this one.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    How would you spell it ? Its how the Queen was known when young

Lily Beth surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

Lily Beth surely.

The way that have spelt it is definitely the way the nickname was spelt for the Queen as I've seen documentary about it.

But then bearing in mind it's a made up nickname Lily Beth would be an actual properly spelt name.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Lily Beth surely.

The Queen spelled it Lilibet short for Elizabeth .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The Queen spelled it Lilibet short for Elizabeth .

Still reads like a betting firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well good that the baby arrived safely but maybe not the middle name as I think Charlotte has Diana as a middle name, but the first name is a bit on the nose isn’t it ? Or is it just me. I mean for the majority of this year they’ve done nothing but rail against the royal family but now they name their daughter after the queen(kind of) ? Pick what you want lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I was sure they'd go with something like Rosa, or Harriot, or something like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Leonita

They really do not have any shame. Naming the child after HM and Diana really is an insult to the 2 women after all the hatred of the monarchy they have been spouting.

Now that she has given birth will the palace be finally able to do something to shut them up?

I honestly thought Harriet would feature somewhere in the names. That would match the makey upey "Harrys son" they have for the boy. I did suspect Lilibet would be a strong contender too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I don't know the story, but nicknames are usually created from kid telling certain words in a funny way when learning speaking, so it was very likely how the Queen introduced herself as a child and it stayed as a nickname. It sounds like this.

But to give it as a proper name to a child doesn't sound right. Because what you honour in this way: her grandmother or granny misspelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,475 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lily is 8th in line

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Leonita

I highly doubt the queen was even consulted on the name going by the history of these 2. She would hardly approve a name like Lily for the 8th in line? Imagine Queen Lily if she ever did manage to get on the throne? Highly unlikely from what I read online. From what I read the further from the throne the new baby is the parents have more of a say in what they choose to name their baby. Also I'm open to correction on this but isn't it the first 10 in line have to get her approval even before getting engaged to their relative spouses let alone marry them.
    I read all of this around the time Eugenie or whichever of randy Andys daughters had baby August.

My sister, Elizabeth was called Liverbit by my brothers. My parents decided to call her Lisa. It was easier for my tongue tied brothers to say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Leonita wrote: »
    They really do not have any shame. Naming the child after HM and Diana really is an insult to the 2 women after all the hatred of the monarchy they have been spouting.

Now that she has given birth will the palace be finally able to do something to shut them up?

I honestly thought Harriet would feature somewhere in the names. That would match the makey upey "Harrys son" they have for the boy. I did suspect Lilibet would be a strong contender too.

No shame? Lol. They've said nothing but nice things about The Queen. Diana hadn't the nicest things to say about the firm either, should she have shut up too?

The spiteful venom directed at these two, whilst moaning about how they've denigrated the bloody monarchy, is like something out of the 1950's.

Best of luck to them and the new addition to their family. Lovely news.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It was a nice tribute but it kind of feels like too little too late - they've caused the Queen a hell of a lot of angst especially around when her husband was dying. So the name feels a bit cynical I'm afraid.

Still, I'm glad the baby arrived safely and hopefully mother and baby are doing well. It would be lovely if the Queen could meet her namesake later on this summer, but I don't think Meghan will set foot in the UK for the foreseeable. There's quite a lot of the UK public who are republican but still have respect for the queen and obviously royalists that they've pissed off with their interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,673 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No shame? Lol. They've said nothing but nice things about The Queen.

Ah, aren’t they just the sweetest!

Lizzy is sound. Best granny ever...

The RF? Fook them!!!

Why did they wait 2 days to announce the arrival?

Why did they wait 2 days to announce the arrival?

To be edgy, different, weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

walshb wrote: »
    To be edgy, different, weird!

Didn't want paps outside the hospital probably.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

While I don't like Lily as a name, seems to have been around a bit, I can see how shortening it from the Queens nickname is nice.
    Honouring Harry's mother is another nice touch.

I never get the hatred these two people seem to bring out in the media and others.
    Other than speaking their minds, they haven't done much else to endenger such inexplicable hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

While I don't like Lily as a name, seems to have been around a bit, I can see how shortening it from the Queens nickname is nice.

I never get the hatred these two people seem to bring out in the media and others.
    Other than speaking their minds, they haven't done much else to endenger such inexplicable hatred.

I don't get how they can accuse the royal family of all sorts of things while Prince Philip was so ill in hospital and then turn around and call their daughter after the Queen. Which is it?

If things were so tough for them while they were part of the family, then why call their daughter this name which can remind them daily of the Royal family? Is their daughter ever to going to meet her namesake?

Not sure I can take this post seriously..

Speaking their minds? So that’s all it was when they were off throwing bombs at their family..

Who asked them to speak their minds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

walshb wrote: »
    Not sure I can take this post seriously..

Speaking their minds? So that’s all it was when they were off throwing bombs at their family..

Who asked them to speak their minds?

What's it to you if they had an opinion on the Royal family? You appear to have plenty of opinions yourself.

Bizarre to see the Royal family being defended to staunchly on an Irish site tbh. What have they ever done for us to warrant such devotion? I honestly don't get it!

Advertisement