Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Be right back

he tried to engage in attempted immotional blackmail of his daughter by threatening to keep talking to the media until she spoke to him, among other stuff.
    he is in no way innocent in this whole thing and no more deserves sympathy, in fact he deserves less.
    he knows what he needs to do if he wants a relationship with his daughter, yet he won't do it, as running to the media to try and gain sympathy is more important.
    if he was on good terms with his daughter, i reccan he wouldn't be getting half of the sympathy he does.

How come Harry has never met Thomas Markle? They were going out for a couple of years before they got married and it was only around the time of the wedding her dad appeared in the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

after listening or reading what Thomas Markle has to say, his speaking up, I actually think we know now most definetely where her character comes from. she's like him.

if he's so keen on seeing is grandchildren (and his daughter?) as he states, I'm pretty sure that interview made him never, ever to see his grandchildren or daughter again. And he knows it, means he doesn't care at all. I would like to know how much monney he got for this interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ms. Newbie18

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    They have no right to complain about Thomas markle giving interviews. Aren't they all for people getting to speak "their truth " and tell the world about private family matters? Or does that only apply to themselves?

Exactly. They blank her father when he speaks out for himself after her friends go after him in the press. they try to annihilate anyone who speaks out about them. No one else is aloud their truth.

he tried to engage in attempted immotional blackmail of his daughter by threatening to keep talking to the media until she spoke to him, among other stuff.
    he is in no way innocent in this whole thing and no more deserves sympathy, in fact he deserves less.
    he knows what he needs to do if he wants a relationship with his daughter, yet he won't do it, as running to the media to try and gain sympathy is more important.
    if he was on good terms with his daughter, i reccan he wouldn't be getting half of the sympathy he does.

He was left with no choice but to use the media as a tool to contact his daughter after she cut contact with him while he was on hospital recovering from a heart attack. He had all receipts to show he tried and tried to contact her without success.

Very easy for her to pick up a phone and say let's work this out. It was her friends to went to the press about her father in the 1st place. Its tit for tat at this stage.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

He was left with no choice but to use the media as a tool to contact his daughter after she cut contact with him while he was on hospital recovering from a heart attack. He had all receipts to show he tried and tried to contact her without success.

Very easy for her to pick up a phone and say let's work this out. It was her friends to went to the press about her father in the 1st place. Its tit for tat at this stage.

I feel it was a convenient excuse to cut him out and that as a father figure he probably didn't fit in with her vision of her life as a duchess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I think so too. A shot across the bows, so to speak. She won't start replying to all their old rubbish, but may well let the other side of things be known, when they 'leak' their version of something.

Can you imagine the atmosphere if /when they arrive for the unveiling of Diana's statue. Frosty! :D

Just caught a clip of an English journalist talking about the dropping of the 'never complain, never explain' approach, and this was pretty much what she said. The queen won't be responding to frivolous stuff but for example with the baby's name, and whether she was consulted or told, she let her version of events be known.

Also, as has already been seen, they will walk themselves into loads of stuff, where their claims can be easily exposed as lies, the wedding taking place three days before, being just one example.

As said upthread, I occasionally wonder will he wake up one day and wonder wtf has he done. And he has been insulting to both Charles and William, so I don't think that will do him any favours when either of them becomes king.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I can't see this marriage lasting.
    Megan reminds me of Diana, attempting to manipulate the media to her advantage all the time especially after the separation and divorce. Harry will surely regret being so quick to condemn his family.
    I bet William is thanking his lucky stars he found a wife who sticks to the rules of the Royal family, you know what you're signing up for when you marry into the Firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

lazygal wrote: »
    Megan reminds me of Diana, attempting to manipulate the media to her advantage all the time especially after the separation and divorce. Harry will surely regret being so quick to condemn his family.
    I bet William is thanking his lucky stars he found a wife who sticks to the rules of the Royal family, you know what you're signing up for when you marry into the Firm.

Well seeing as three of the queens children’s marriages ended in divorce and other members of the family have gotten divorced that’s hardly a massive jump to make.

Meghan is like Diana ? Maybe it’s hindsight but Diana is a saintly figure more or less in many people’s eyes.

Well whatever happens, whether they remain married or get divorced, Harry has done some serious damage to his relationships with his family and I can’t see them being repaired easily or quickly.

If Diana hadn't died so young I feel the narrative around her would be very different. She twice said she was stepping back from public life and didn't follow through on that. She was well able to use the media to present herself in a certain light.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Neyite wrote: »
    I feel it was a convenient excuse to cut him out and that as a father figure he probably didn't fit in with her vision of her life as a duchess.

Never a truer word. He didn’t fit her new aesthetic. She was never going to integrate him into her new family life, that much is clear from the fact she never even introduced Harry to him in all the time they were dating. Him making a tit of himself was just a convenient excuse for her to cut him out

• Advertisement

He was left with no choice but to use the media as a tool .

sorry, but I think this is the wrong approach. he could have decided, a mature decision, not to use the media, but to accept his daughter wants nothing to do with him. he could have hoped it will change if he leaves her alone and proves he has only good things in mind.

with 'using the media' he did just that, exposed her, and will now probably never see her or the grandchildren. As explained in my post earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Never a truer word. He didn’t fit her new aesthetic. She was never going to integrate him into her new family life, that much is clear from the fact she never even introduced Harry to him in all the time they were dating. Him making a tit of himself was just a convenient excuse for her to cut him out

Just like her first husband. He didn't fit in with her new social circle of friends in Canada and he got sent the wedding and engagement rings in the post to let him know he was being dumped.

tara73 wrote: »
    sorry, but I think this is the wrong approach. he could have decided, a mature decision, not to use the media, but to accept his daughter wants nothing to do with him. he could have hoped it will change if he leaves her alone and proves he has only good things in mind.

with 'using the media' he did just that, exposed her, and will now probably never see her or the grandchildren. As explained in my post earlier.

Any parent would want to set the record straight when their child was trying to makeout like they had no family, where mistreated or neglected. Most especially if you had been there for your child and this has been noted by them. I would do it..he used the tool his daughter recognised and favoured I.e. the media.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Just like her first husband. He didn't fit in with her new social circle of friends in Canada and he got sent the wedding and engagement rings in the post to let him know he was being dumped.

Everyone handles breakups differently. You make rash decisions that you may regret. Lose friends normally your OH. Sending your wedding rings back to your seemingly clueless husband is cold. However, it would not cause me to cut off a lifelong friend. Yet all Megs old friends are no longer part of her life but still in contact with her ex husband. She must have pulled some very sh*ty moves for that to have happened.

Everyone handles breakups differently. You make rash decisions that you may regret. Lose friends normally your OH. Sending your wedding rings back to your seemingly clueless husband is cold. However, it would not cause me to cut off a lifelong friend. Yet all Megs old friends are no longer part of her life but still in contact with her ex husband. She must have pulled some very sh*ty moves for that to have happened.

I think everyone knows a Megan. They end up having a fallout with almost everyone over the years. It's always the other person's fault too, or they make out like the other person was full of drama and they had to move on from them. You realise after a while the common denominator is them and you'll eventually be the person they had to cut ties with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Grandpa Markle telling it as he sees it.

“I’m not an axe murder. I made one dumb mistake and I’ve been punished for it. This show they’ve been on, they talk about compassion, there’s no compassion for me, no compassion for my family, and no compassion for the world.

'If I had done something terribly wrong, that would be fine, but I haven't.'

With his ailing health continuing to deteriorate, Thomas said he fears he will never get to meet Archie, 2, or baby Lilibet, who was born on June 4.
    'I have things to say. Oprah Winfrey, for one, I think is playing Harry and Meghan,' he said.

'I think she is using them to build her network and build her new shows and I think she’s taken advantage of a very weakened man and has got him to say things that you just shouldn’t be saying on television.”
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9681517/Thomas-Markle-claims-Meghan-Harry-treating-like-axe-murderer-60-Minutes-interview.html

Im telling you right now, but you dont get to the top of the American entertainment scene without playing dirty. Oprah is using them and Ive no doubt that Meghan is happy to be used if its to further her own "brand".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

By chance I saw a bit of a programme last night about Harry and Meghan, three troubled years, or something like that. He actually looked really happy in the early stages, and the change in him was noticeable as time went on.

There were clips of them, with Charles, William and Kate and so on, and he did look relaxed and at ease with them too. She looks as though she is (literally) acting a part, a lot of the time.

It's a shame really the way things have gone.

lazygal wrote: »

Diana had her struggles but I don't believe for a minute the "naive young woman" rubbish. Certainly when she first married she may well have been but later on she was a skilled manipulator.

I think Kate appears to be doing well in her role and is willing to go along with whats required of her. I imagine it comes at a great personal cost for her though. I feel she must hold an awful lot of herself back and is quite stifled. Nor would I say its all fairytale romance at home with William.

Diana had her struggles but I don't believe for a minute the "naive young woman" rubbish. Certainly when she first married she may well have been but later on she was a skilled manipulator.

I think Kate appears to be doing well in her role and is willing to go along with whats required of her. I imagine it comes at a great personal cost for her though. I feel she must hold an awful lot of herself back and is quite stifled. Nor would I say its all fairytale romance at home with William.

I think Kate knew what she was getting into and played the long game with William. No other woman from a more aristocratic background had any interest in being in the Firm and I think he realised he was lucky she was willing and able to take him on as well as everything that comes with her marriage and role. They seem relatively happy and secure or else their pr does a great job presenting them as such and seem savvy enough to enjoy the privilege and keep quiet about the myriad downsides. Some people want a marriage like theirs, where both parties have defined roles and are working towards a greater project. I see one couple I know where the woman knew she'd be a stay at home housewife and have babies and facilitate her husband's Big Important Job. It seems to work for them even though from my perspective looking in I can see all the downsides of such a relationship.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The Queen endorsing corrections is a clever move. No doubt the shadow of a racism allegation, the nickname nicking, and the accusations that her parenting is the cause of many of his issues is a step too far.

The two of them are known for their...eh...inconsistencies, whereas the palace rarely comment but when they do, it's a carefully worded statement issued by a senior, experienced courtier and will stand up to scrutiny and fact checking. Now all that needs to be said from now on is "Senior royal courtier says that didn't happen". Nothing else necessary.

I wonder will Harry's lawyers who were all set to sue the BBC slink away quietly now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Even leaving aside the fallout of breakups.
    A piece of advice that always served me well was imparted by grandad when I was a kid.

You get an idea of someone from the company they keep but, to really know someone?
    You need to know their old friends, and if they don't have old friends?
    You need to ask why.

The Queen endorsing corrections is a clever move. No doubt the shadow of a racism allegation, the nickname nicking, and the accusations that her parenting is the cause of many of his issues is a step too far.

The two of them are known for their...eh...inconsistencies, whereas the palace rarely comment but when they do, it's a carefully worded statement issued by a senior, experienced courtier and will stand up to scrutiny and fact checking. Now all that needs to be said from now on is "Senior royal courtier says that didn't happen". Nothing else necessary.

I wonder will Harry's lawyers who were all set to sue the BBC slink away quietly now?

I think they are regrouping rather than slinking away. Their PR machine is in overdrive reporting they are doing everything they can to keep the peace. This gives the time to come up a new game plan.

It was interesting on the programme I watched, the various contributors alluded to the fact that the queen/ royal family wouldn't comment or retaliate to the various claims.
    That was then, of course. :D

Harry (in particular, given that this was the mantra he was reared with) Meghan and their various associates must surely see what a sea change it is, that the royal gloves are coming off, so to speak. I'm sure it will be done cleverly and in a dignified way but I think they can take it as read, that no more of their tripe will be entertained and allowed to stand as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Buckingham palace are playing senior hurling in this regard and know how this works and Harry should know the state of play but seems to have forgotten and it’s not going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Be right back

I don't think she was the Queen's vision of a duchess either!!

I doubt she ever intended for him to attend the wedding, seeing as he had never even met Harry.

I am surprised this story did not get more attention - I seen it mentioned/linked on SM site this am:

https://www.thesun.ie/fabulous/7125032/prince-harry-meghan-markle-compassion-project-profit/

Someone has also done some digging and found a corporation which registered some US IP rights back in 2019 for the name Lili, which is apparently linked/owned by H&M.. Show intent from long before she was even pregnant with their 2nd child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Someone has also done some digging and found a corporation which registered some US IP rights back in 2019 for the name Lili, which is apparently linked/owned by H&M.. Show intent from long before she was even pregnant with their 2nd child.

Bonkers if true! Is there a source for that??

I am surprised this story did not get more attention - I seen it mentioned/linked on SM site this am:

https://www.thesun.ie/fabulous/7125032/prince-harry-meghan-markle-compassion-project-profit/

the sun...of all tabloids...
    and I can not find a word in that link that says they registered the rights of the name Lili, I just found that Harry insists he DID tell the Queen about their choice of the name.
    Maybe I overread it, can you point it out from the article?

I actually can't imagine it's even possible to get the rights to a more or less common female first name all over the world.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Bonkers if true! Is there a source for that??

Women and health reported Meghan was going to launch a lifestyle brand ala GP with her goop. After this someone did some snooping and found the domain registered shopLiliwell dot com was registered in Feb 2020 then found the US Trade Mark applications from 2019.

Though they are not registered directly to H & M the link is through the company Clevr Blends which the media reported Meghan is now investor in as is Oprah.....

I think all this was uncovered and posted to Twitter.

• Advertisement

You won't ever find their names being directly down as the Proprietors of the domains or the TMs. It will all be done through companies and corporations they are linked to. This is pretty standard.

Advertisement