Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I imagine people looking back possibly even at footage of themselves, sobbing and wailing, and wondering what the hell they were thinking. Especially as there is such a thing about having a 'stiff upper lip' in England.

It was absolutely ridiculous. Literally days before she died, there was massive consternation in all publications at yet another Muslim boyfriend she had taken up with, how she was jetting off on yet another holiday and lots of speculation as to whether the future king might have step-siblings, and even more concerning to the masses, if that step-sibling might be not white and not Church of England. With Dodi, it was pointedly noted that his father, despite owning Harrods and living in England for decades was turned down several times for citizenship. ie some sort of murky past somewhere.

Then they were demanding a state funeral for her. They basically had her canonised. The public demanded that the Royal Family leave Balmoral (along with Charles and they boys) to come and witness their competitive grieving in London. They frothed over the boys in the funeral cortège, but the family would have been attacked if they tried to shield the boys from such a public moment. It was obscene really.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I thought it was funny that a paper reported she was considering "interrupting her maternity leave to attend" That really tickled me.

Plenty of women I know 'interrupted their maternity leave' to attend school concerts, hold fundraiser events for their local clubs, throw parties for their kids/ other halves, go to weddings and funerals etc. I even know women who interrupted their maternity leave to go into the office once or twice for critical meetings.

They really think that unveiling a statue of his mother and commemorating it is work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Neyite wrote: »
    I thought it was funny that a paper reported she was considering "interrupting her maternity leave to attend" That really tickled me.

Plenty of women I know 'interrupted their maternity leave' to attend school concerts, hold fundraiser events for their local clubs, throw parties for their kids/ other halves, go to weddings and funerals etc. I even know women who interrupted their maternity leave to go into the office once or twice for critical meetings.

They really think that unveiling a statue of his mother and commemorating it is work?

Will they be expecting to get paid for appearing?! :pac:

Or because they are so benevolent they will compassionately forego they're fees and intend to give it to some charity :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm picturing everyone else drawing straws to see who will sit next to them. 'Not me, no, not me...' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

How could she be expected to cope if Harry got his mug in the papers and name in the headlines and she didn't?

The horror!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wait so family relations have gotten worse not better since all the interviews. I must say I’m shocked and stunned over this revelation, I really am. I mean imagine if a family member of the posters in this thread did what Harry and Meghan did on RTÉ and basically aired all the dirty Landry in public and made accusations with no evidence to back them up, them personally I wouldn’t exactly be all sunshine and rainbows towards that family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

How could she be expected to cope if Harry got his mug in the papers and name in the headlines and she didn't?

The horror!

It's a goal for the exercise video she'll be releasing for the baby weight loss :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Be right back

I would be very surprised if she did go. I think she will have a last minute issue so she won't be able to travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

She probably will go because it’s about Diana. She always seems to want to be compared with Diana even though she never knew anything about Diana or even googled Harry:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I would be very surprised if she did go. I think she will have a last minute issue so she won't be able to travel!

To be fair I wouldn't. How old is baby? Two weeks? July 1st is another 2 weeks away. You would have had to render me unconscious to separate me from my babies until they were at least 3 months old, and 4 weeks is too young to travel imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I was thinking the same thing.
    At the last minute, she won't travel, staying home instead with the childer :D

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Wait so family relations have gotten worse not better since all the interviews. I must say I’m shocked and stunned over this revelation, I really am. I mean imagine if a family member of the posters in this thread did what Harry and Meghan did on RTÉ and basically aired all the dirty Landry in public and made accusations with no evidence to back them up, them personally I wouldn’t exactly be all sunshine and rainbows towards that family member.

Exactly. Same here, shocked and stunned :D I mean who doesn't want family stuff, be it true or false being discussed on tv.

I was thinking at the time of the funeral, how uneasy everyone must feel, around Harry. I wonder did they make sure to not be alone with him, fearing that whatever was (or indeed was not) said, would be blathered out to Oprah afterwards... :rolleyes:

Lillyfae wrote: »
    To be fair I wouldn't. How old is baby? Two weeks? July 1st is another 2 weeks away. You would have had to render me unconscious to separate me from my babies until they were at least 3 months old, and 4 weeks is too young to travel imo.

Shur, wouldn’t Oprah loan them her jet? Easypeasy.

I'm picturing everyone else drawing straws to see who will sit next to them. 'Not me, no, not me...' :D

My money's on them being sat between Andrew and Princess Michael of Kent. On rickety chairs with lumps in the cushions.

I would say they've no intention of her arriving in the UK with him, but they suggested it to gauge their currently popularity levels from the public response it would get.

Neyite wrote: »
    My money's on them being sat between Andrew and Princess Michael of Kent. On rickety chairs with lumps in the cushions.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

She probably will go because it’s about Diana. She always seems to want to be compared with Diana even though she never knew anything about Diana or even googled Harry:pac:

She'll probably wear something very similar to something Diana once wore.

Entirely coincidentally, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

She'll probably wear something very similar to something Diana once wore.

Entirely coincidentally, of course.

Which will then lead to all those dreadful photographers taking pictures for all those horrible newspapers and websites again. Just the exact same thing that always happened to Diana. Then Harry will have to do another interview about how the same thing is happening to Meghan. Poor girl just can’t get a break:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I am sure, she will go. It is one of the last chances for her to be relevant on a global level. She won't miss it.

I wander how they felt watching G7 summit and Kate cooperating with Jill Biden and RF meeting World's leaders. I think they eventually must have felt how much they fell down in a social status ranking with all their own doings.

JoChervil wrote: »
    I am sure, she will go. It is one of the last chances for her to be relevant on a global level. She won't miss it.

I wander how they felt watching G7 summit and Kate cooperating with Jill Biden and RF meeting World's leaders. I think they eventually must have felt how much they fell down in a social status ranking with all their own doings.

That's a very good point. If they think she won't get booed the moment she gets off the plane she could very well attend. The original plan for them to rub shoulders with A-listers at glamorous events was scuppered by the pandemic driving them all back inside their mansions. I think H&M need a few glitzy events to attend to stay marketable and would always need the occasional royal occasion.

Just a pity she's on maternity leave and won't be able to attend any for several months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

volchitsa wrote: »
    Meh. These are people who travel a lot. She popped to New York for a baby shower IIRC. It beggars belief that in all the time they were in a serious relationship there was no opportunity for him to meet her father. It's obvious that she didn't want it to happen. For whatever reason.

these things can happen, life is a funny old thing, i wouldn't worry about it.
    given his behaviour harry is probably better off having not met him, he might have began selling stories on harry to the media as well as his daughter.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

given his behaviour harry is probably better off having not met him, he might have began selling stories on harry to the media as well as his daughter.

You mean rather than Harry selling stories about his family? You know, the racist, lousy parents/grandparents who he lovingly named his child after?

Oh, Dear. She’s not coming now. “ A source close to the Sussexes is understood to have dismissed reports Meghan Markle was planning to travel to London for the unveiling of the new Princess Diana statue.

Radar Online published a report claiming the Duchess of Sussex, 39, wanted to fly to the UK to support her husband at the family event on July 1.

It quoted a source who said Meghan wanted to be by Harry's side as he faced his family for the first time since the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral and subsequent interviews in which he accused the family of passing on 'genetic pain'. ”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9691889/Meghan-Markle-support-Prince-Harry-unveiling-Princess-Dianas-statue.html

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Which will then lead to all those dreadful photographers taking pictures for all those horrible newspapers and websites again. Just the exact same thing that always happened to Diana. Then Harry will have to do another interview about how the same thing is happening to Meghan. Poor girl just can’t get a break:D

Oh and poor Harry will be so triggered by the camera clicks and the very fact he’s in London. Not all camera clicks though, funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

But in the nearly two years prior to the wedding which I’ll agree it wasn’t a good move to have photos taken of himself but that was a very small period of time but what good reason was there for Harry to not meet his future father in law ? That’s the part I don’t get, and I see he’s been talking again to 60 minutes in Australia which won’t help one bit, but I’m not in favour of any of this being done through the media and should be resolved if it can be in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    But in the nearly two years prior to the wedding which I’ll agree it wasn’t a good move to have photos taken of himself but that was a very small period of time but what good reason was there for Harry to not meet his future father in law ? That’s the part I don’t get, and I see he’s been talking again to 60 minutes in Australia which won’t help one bit, but I’m not in favour of any of this being done through the media and should be resolved if it can be in private.

For whatever reason, Meghan didn’t want that meeting to happen. I have always thought that Meghan love bombed Harry. The story goes that she didn’t know much about him, didn’t Google him etc. She fell in love with the man and not the “Prince” and had just wanted to know if he was “kind”. That always struck me as false and insincere. Who doesn’t Google someone they’re being set up with or dating to suss out if they're a potential balmpot? Meghan has also stated that she paid her own way through college, worked jobs to do so. She’s an independent woman, right? The intended impression would be that she is self-sufficient and has worked her way up in life through graft and making sacrifices and now she's "ready to hit the ground running" for Harry as a working Royal.

Thomas Markle has said that he paid her full tuition. That's his truth I guess. If Harry was introduced to him and this conversation piece happened to crop up then there would be an obvious disparity between their versions. It might torpedo the independent woman narrative if it transpired that he'd spent the bulk of his lottery winnings providing for his daughter, trying to have her "make it". Harry might conclude that Meghan was telling him a lie and their relationship might suffer. Falsus in uno...etc.

If you can control your narrative by neatly avoiding introductions you can also control the impression the person you are grooming has towards the person they’ve never even met e.g. He says he paid my tuition? Harry, my father is a liar, he's broke and just wants money.

It could be controlled at least until she was married, entitled and quids in. That is perhaps one of the reasons why Harry hasn’t met his father in law who could have spilled the beans about how spoiled and financially supported Meghan was.

valoren wrote: »
    For whatever reason, Meghan didn’t want that meeting to happen. I have always thought that Meghan love bombed Harry. The story goes that she didn’t know much about him, didn’t Google him etc. She fell in love with the man and not the “Prince” and had just wanted to know if he was “kind”. That always struck me as false and insincere. Who doesn’t Google someone they’re being set up with or dating to suss out if they're a potential balmpot? Meghan has also stated that she paid her own way through college, worked jobs to do so. She’s an independent woman, right? The intended impression would be that she is self-sufficient and has worked her way up in life through graft and making sacrifices and now she's "ready to hit the ground running" for Harry as a working Royal.

Thomas Markle has said that he paid her full tuition. That's his truth I guess. If Harry was introduced to him and this conversation piece happened to crop up then there would be an obvious disparity between their versions. It might torpedo the independent woman narrative if it transpired that he'd spent the bulk of his lottery winnings providing for his daughter, trying to have her "make it". Harry might conclude that Meghan was telling him a lie and their relationship might suffer. Falsus in uno...etc.

If you can control your narrative by neatly avoiding introductions you can also control the impression the person you are grooming has towards the person they’ve never even met. At least until you're married, entitled and quids in. That is perhaps one of the reasons why Harry hasn’t met his father in law who could have spilled the beans about how spoiled and financially supported Meghan was.

$750,000 thirty years ago was a decent sum to spend on education/promotion. Looks like he spent it all on his kids.
    “He gave Tom Jr. money to start a flower shop, bought a car for his daughter Yvonne, and paid Meghan's tuition at a Catholic school with his winnings.

"If Meg marries Harry she’ll have won the lottery of life but dad winning the lottery helped us all," Tom Jr. told the Mail. "That money allowed Meg to go to the best schools and get the best training."”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is Harry actually planning to show his face at the Diana ceremony?

I cant imagine anyone wants him there, except Andrew as Harry will draw more ire and attention than he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is Harry actually planning to show his face at the Diana ceremony?

I cant imagine anyone wants him there, except Andrew as Harry will draw more ire and attention than he will.
    Other than William and Harry, I doubt the royal family will be there? It’ll be her family, not her ex’s surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

$750,000 thirty years ago was a decent sum to spend on education/promotion.

that's some good money, didn't know he won the lottery (if it's true, who can believe anything with this lot..)
    also, he doesn't look that broke, just watched the whole '60minutes Australia' interview, he's shown there in a nice little house directly up on a cliff with the amazing view over the Pacific Ocean. Yes, it's in Mexico, but still, it's close to the american border, and in that location, it can't be that cheap.
    who said he's broke, Meghan?

Advertisement