Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's telling that Meghan fell out with her family and friends, and now Harry has atter he married her. He seemed to be close to his brother and sister in law before she came along.

$750,000 thirty years ago was a decent sum to spend on education/promotion. Looks like he spent it all on his kids.
    “He gave Tom Jr. money to start a flower shop, bought a car for his daughter Yvonne, and paid Meghan's tuition at a Catholic school with his winnings.

"If Meg marries Harry she’ll have won the lottery of life but dad winning the lottery helped us all," Tom Jr. told the Mail. "That money allowed Meg to go to the best schools and get the best training."”

Sounds like her father is “an inconvenient truth”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

valoren wrote: »
    She fell in love with the man and not the “Prince” and had just wanted to know if he was “kind”. That always struck me as false and insincere.

Hard agree here. Nobody asks if your blind date is 'kind'. You'd ask are they handsome, are they smart, are they funny, are they sound. Kind would be implied in the latter.

'Kind' sounds so insipid and arseholy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

lazygal wrote: »
    It's telling that Meghan fell out with her family and friends, and now Harry has atter he married her. He seemed to be close to his brother and sister in law before she came along.

That was so obvious in the programme that I mentioned upthread. You can see the change in Harry. He was relaxed and happy looking along with William, Kate and Charles, in the early stages of the relationship with Meghan. And then later, he looks sour and uneasy.

That was so obvious in the programme that I mentioned upthread. You can see the change in Harry. He was relaxed and happy looking along with William, Kate and Charles, in the early stages of the relationship with Meghan. And then later, he looks sour and uneasy.

He looks very unhappy these days, despite having supposedly broken away from a toxic family.

• Advertisement

Hard agree here. Nobody asks if your blind date is 'kind'. You'd ask are they handsome, are they smart, are they funny, are they sound. Kind would be implied in the latter.

'Kind' sounds so insipid and arseholy.

Kind is what I looked for when we were seeking someone to be a child minder for our kids.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

And it's not as if his name was John Smith, and it would be hard to find out anything about him online :D

Wowsers. A whole new World. We’re saved.

“Meghan Markle reveals VERY lofty ideas for her new children's book The Bench claiming it could help 'model a new world' and shows 'another side of masculinity' ”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9696425/Meghan-Markle-says-childrens-book-Bench-shows-masculinity.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

She is beyond delusional

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

“Meghan Markle reveals VERY lofty ideas for her new children's book The Bench claiming it could help 'model a new world' and shows 'another side of masculinity' ”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9696425/Meghan-Markle-says-childrens-book-Bench-shows-masculinity.html

the sheer fkn hubris :D , can you imagine some male celeb putting out a book about reinventing femininity , the guy would be run out of town

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

silverharp wrote: »
    the sheer fkn hubris :D , can you imagine some male celeb putting out a book about reinventing femininity , the guy would be run out of town

You’re right. It would be. It’s no better from her, mind.

When you see the dysfunctional families they both come from it’s even more delusional. Two people less qualified to lecture to the rest of us about how to parent would be hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

She's an author now.

My wife and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon. We were in the on-board jewellery shop one day and one of the staff asked if I would be interested in modelling some Men's watches they wanted to advertise later that afternoon. There would be a mocked up runway in the ships' main thoroughfare and there would be some discount vouchers given to volunteers. I agreed for the laugh. Like a true professional I, pardon the pun, showed up on time. They gave me a specific watch, I walked down the runway, stopped and showed the watch to the gathered crowd as instructed, I walked back and handed the watch back to one of the staff. James Joyce was an author. Toni Morrison was an author. If Meghan is an Author then I'll happily have it be known that I am a Male model.

If Meghan is an Author then I'll happily have it be known that I am a Male model.

When I was 4 I modelled in Clerys Tearooms and was on the front page of the next days Press (now defunct daily paper).

Do I get to claim to be a print model? Cos by Meghan's reckoning I am.

I wrote for the TCD student newspaper in college, going to add 'journalist' to my CV immediately.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

volchitsa wrote: »
    You’re right. It would be. It’s no better from her, mind.

When you see the dysfunctional families they both come from it’s even more delusional. Two people less qualified to lecture to the rest of us about how to parent would be hard to come by.

Well, they are only two years in. They've not even hit the proper toddler stage yet. :D.

volchitsa wrote: »
    They remind me of a few lifestyle/parenting bloggers I started following when I had very young kids. They'd have these perfect colour co-ordinated 'nurseries' and perfectly folded stacks of baby clothes and dish out parenting advice and theories even though they hadn't even had the baby yet.

I found parenting far easier than I expected, and granted I haven't hit the teen years yet, but I do roll my eyes at people who assume they have some Great Wisdom to impart just because they happen to be in the public eye.

One comment on that article summed it up succinctly, 'stop preaching and start practising'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

She's an author now.

My wife and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon. We were in the on-board jewellery shop one day and one of the staff asked if I would be interested in modelling some Men's watches they wanted to advertise later that afternoon. There would be a mocked up runway in the ships' main thoroughfare and there would be some discount vouchers given to volunteers. I agreed for the laugh. Like a true professional I, pardon the pun, showed up on time. They gave me a specific watch, I walked down the runway, stopped and showed the watch to the gathered crowd as instructed, I walked back and handed the watch back to one of the staff. James Joyce was an author. Toni Morrison was an author. If Meghan is an Author then I'll happily have it be known that I am a Male model.

Well Meghan is modeling "a whole new world"..... so I don't remember Joyce doing that.

Markle>Joyce :pac:

Shes not delusional, shes peddling bull**** and shes quite good at it. Some fools will follow her and think shes a trend setter/visionary...... I believe shes more of a fancy Del Trotter.

I wrote for the TCD student newspaper in college, going to add 'journalist' to my CV immediately.

I just remembered that I wrote a piece for the local annual newsletter about 10 years ago. Would that entitle me to call myself a journalist?

I was telling my OH about Meghan's 'book' the other day and he asked had any other royal tried it before- I recalled Fergie created Budgie The Helicopter? Only as a kid I really liked Budgie. It was a fun cartoon.

Pity Meg's book is so utterly, utterly shíte.

• Advertisement

I remember those books. They were a fun project for her and didn't have any pretensions of changing lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I remember those books. They were a fun project for her and didn't have any pretensions of changing lives.

It was a booked aimed at kids.

Meghans books are aimed at woke parents, not the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Well Meghan is modeling "a whole new world"..... so I don't remember Joyce doing that.

Markle>Joyce :pac:

Shes not delusional, shes peddling bull**** and shes quite good at it. Some fools will follow her and think shes a trend setter/visionary...... I believe shes more of a fancy Del Trotter.

:( as a huge only fools fan that’s a harsh comparison. Del trotter wasn’t perfect but when push came to shove the trotter family had each other’s back which seems like is more than can be said for Meghan and Harry who have decided “**** it” and because their kids didn’t get the HRH automatically(they could be earl and lady but that’s not Prince and princess so no good it seems) amongst other things, and then made some statements that I as an Irish citizen, could show was completely incorrect or at best economical with the facts is a poor reflection on them. They as members of that family should be more clued in that anyone else.

And on my biggest issue with their original interview, was their allegation of racism which didn’t match up in terms of timeframe or frequency of the alleged remarks which you’d think given what was alleged would be in lock step. If they felt that strongly about the racism, they should have named the person and let that person deal with the fall out. I’ve said it before but racism in any form is horrific and with that seriousness IMO imparts an very high standard of proof on the accuser. Vague and second hand information just doesn’t cut it I’m sorry.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I just remembered that I wrote a piece for the local annual newsletter about 10 years ago. Would that entitle me to call myself a journalist?

Yes.
    I scripted, choreographed and starred in the 5th year mandatory talent show in the 90s. The audience went wild we were deliberately awful as a protest against the mandatory part.

I guess that makes me a playwright, director, actor and dancer. I'm off to update the CV...

Neyite wrote: »
    Yes.
    I scripted, choreographed and starred in the 5th year mandatory talent show in the 90s. The audience went wild we were deliberately awful as a protest against the mandatory part.

I guess that makes me a playwright, director, actor and dancer. I'm off to update the CV...

We never knew that we were so talented!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Anyone remember a BBC production called "The Experiment" which ran along the same lines as the prisoner/guard type dynamic of the infamous Stanford one? I was thinking before that the social psychology of this was Meghan joining the Royal family and becoming a "guard" so to speak i.e. a Principal with authority over the staffers, the bullying boss. Looking back on how Meghan suggested that she was effectively imprisoned in the institution of the Monarchy then it's got me thinking that the roles could well have been reversed i.e. that the guards by analogy were the palace staff, the courtiers, the assistants who worked within a dynamic and framework which was a decades old machine working in support of a very long serving Monarch. They took her keys, her passport, her social life, they took it all, they all but shaved my head kind of dynamic.

A working Royal means a Royal that works in support of the Queen. It's as simple as that. The staff et al are in service of the Queen, even her own family. Meghan, in marrying into this dynamic, thus became the prisoner to the established system. Obviously she might have been an unhappy one who subsequently rebelled against the protocol and the dynamic and perhaps people trying to do, and protect, their own jobs came into conflict with her leading to allegations of bullying. Paradoxically it would be akin to say someone like a Personal Assistant called Marlene from Bow telling Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Sussex what to do e.g. going over what the itinerary for the day would be. That would irk anyone coming from a lifestyle of coming and going where and when they please.  I can imagine that this reversal of perceived authority inflamed Meghan, a controlling type. They all serve the Queen as mentioned and anything or anyone disrupting that will inevitably lead to conflict and acrimony perhaps. The social psychology of it all is interesting and it clearly looks like she was right to step away from that dynamic. She just wasn't a proper fit, wouldn't identify herself as someone working in service of her husband’s Gran like Kate had done. I can imagine the reports of William suggesting Harry slow things down could well have been done for Meghan’s sake. He always seemed like the more level headed of the two. William may well have envisaged what the dynamic could do to someone coming in from an independent and self-sufficient lifestyle. He likely saw where this was all going to inevitably go. It must have been like watching a slow motion car crash for him. The media tour criticizing this supposed prison is the telling part. There’s getting out and thriving in regaining some independence and there’s getting out and going on the offensive. That Meghan has gone on the attack perhaps gives an insight into the combative, confrontational nature within the Palace which set in train the ultimate decision to leave i.e. taking how combative she was in March then it follows that she must have been combative in private as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Neyite wrote: »
    Yes.

And an activist!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Sure, why not? Coleen Rooney called herself a journalist on an official form around a decade ago because of her Closer column where she discussed her purchases that week and where she was going on her holliers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

it happens quite frequently in ireland and is always tragic. usually over land.

cousins never getting to know each other.

william i'm sure will reach out and make an effort to ensure that doesn't happen.

but poison will always be poison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

it happens quite frequently in ireland and is always tragic. usually over land.

cousins never getting to know each other.

william i'm sure will reach out and make an effort to ensure that doesn't happen.

but poison will always be poison.

I’m sure William will try but if he’s trying and it’s like talking to the wall, then at some point he’ll have to say leave it off and just concentrate of what his future role will be.

Advertisement