Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Two things I found odd.

1. Why Harry was not present for most of the interview?
    2. Why did it start at the wedding when their story started a couple of years earlier? I would have thought in an Oprah interview there might be some discussion of the good times - how they met, those first dates, first kiss etc. But then any discussion of the positives might harm the victim narrative I suppose.
    It's a PR piece by Team Meghan fronted by Winfrey the queen of US PR for celebs to push their brand for cash and prizes. Nothing more, nothing less. No mention of the things you noted, nor and this was a glaring omission, no mention of her screwed up family either, who are a complete trainwreck it seems and piled on the dumb throughout and will no doubt continue to do so for a few greasy quid for their tills. If Winfrey was the class of interviewer American media seems to think she is - and she most certainly isn't, she made her name with salacious "interviews" with slack jawed weirdos and celebs and snakeoil salesmen - she'd have brought that up. If it were an actual interview and not the usual dumbed down for the mainstream puff piece. They know they can do all that with some impunity as the queen of England, nor any of her family is going to sit down and do their own rebuttal. They're well practised at keeping quiet, though Andrew's self induced hatchet job was a clanger indeed. I suppose when one of them is being accused of having sex with underage teenagers they felt it was worth the risk.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

She could have gotten help from any source but that's not the point here. It is that she was not allowed to go for help because it would look bad for the Royals. She had to ask for permission to do anything before she could do it herself and she was denied permission. That's my understanding of it. Diana got no help either, so they do not look out for family and not a good trait in the Royals. Then you have Charles who would not reply to his son's phone calls, a really awful way to treat a son who was obviously desperate for help. Look how he treated Diana, his wife. A crying shame and in my opinion Charles should not be king.

“I’m not feeling well, I need a GP visit” - and then speak to the GP about it, who would not be able to breach her privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

gozunda wrote: »
    Yes. Lol. Just because we're in Ireland doesn't mean we don't know what "gammon" means btw.

It's a slur directed at mainly WHITE Middle age men and yes as a phrase its has been called out as racist.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/what-does-gammon-mean

Fairly ironic to go on about implied racism and then apply terms like that to others

Borrowed this - looks better here I reckon
    :rolleyes:

An image search of "gammon meme" brings up nothing but middle aged white men too. I honestly would respect these people far more if they were honest, instead of pretending that it doesn't have a racial connotation

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I remain neutral about Harry and Meghan as people. I don't know enough about them as people to form an opinion either way. I neither love them nor loathe them.

However, royalty as a concept or as an institution has no place in a modern society. It is horribly outdated.

I don't understand why it remains. I would have thought that it would have been debated at a national level during my lifetime but it hasn't happened yet.

I have to agree its from a bygone era

I wonder when the Queen is gone will they struggle to keep the whole thing going ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Icsics

These 2 are ‘building their brand’ & they used the race card to do it, playing to the American audience. You’d have to wonder what content they’ll come up with for Netflix & Spotify, more woke drivel probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Am I the only one who doesn't find Meghan that good looking?

She reminds me of Matt Lucas to look at at times, especially her dead, hollow eyes.

Besides, personality is an important trait in defining attractiveness, and she comes across as cold and self-centred.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

TomTomTim wrote: »
    An image search of "gammon meme" brings up nothing but middle aged white men too. I honestly would respect these people far more if they were honest, instead of pretending that it doesn't have a racial connotation

These poor middle aged white men, when will their suffering end?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

She reminds me of Matt Lucas to look at at times, especially her dead, hollow eyes.

Besides, personality is an important trait in defining attractiveness, and she comes across as cold and self-centred.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder, She is a good looking girl ,

But she is also the spitting image of Phil Coutinho ,
    Google Megan - Couthino some very funny face swaps

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

I'm sure she'll be heart broken when she finds out your opinion of her.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

“I’m not feeling well, I need a GP visit” - and then speak to the GP about it, who would not be able to breach her privacy.

Is it really plausible though, that being married to a man who's the patron of a few mental health charities, that he wouldn't have a number in his phone for a very discreet, excellent MH professional for his pregnant suicidal wife? Especially when he was well able to strongly advocate for her over a sodding tiara by having a massive tantrum at his grandmother's closest friend?

I'm not doubting she struggled - the press and pressure had to have been insane. But Harry surely had a contact that could be counted on to do discreet house calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

These poor middle aged white men, when will their suffering end?

The irony of this being said in a thread about supposedly oppressed multimillionaire royal. My point had nothing to do with victimization either, you've simply added that variable, as posters like yourself always do. I was simply backing up another posters point.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes, you are probaly the only one, or in a tiny minority. She doesn't have dead hollow eyes, unless you are DM drone.

The stupid angles of sh1t people are pulling in their extreme reaching for negatives is pathetic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't understand why it remains. I would have thought that it would have been debated at a national level during my lifetime but it hasn't happened yet.
    I'd say one reason, in Britain at least; their queen is the last symbol of a fading empire and self confidence. This is a woman born in the 1920's, who was present during WW2 through hardship and victory, queen during the devolution of their once huge empire, through Suez, countless prime ministers including Churchill, the cold war, the IMF needing to come in during the 1970's through all the ups and downs of Britain over damn near a century. She's their last touchstone, a living relic of a past that has slowly crumbled throughout her reign, but her being a focus took some of that sting away and gave some succour that it was all still grand. And she's pretty much never put a foot wrong herself. Always kept that old stylee regal distance and "mystery" and she is still well respected there and abroad.

And tbh I get why. The vast majority of their kings and queens were distant, or outright bloody fools and inbred nutbags. Cromwell had the right idea. Though he wasn't long in the ground when they wheeled in another line of inbred Dutch eejits. How the French revolution didn't inspire the English peasantry to kick off there has always surprised me, as they didn't exactly live great lives either. Arguably their best monarchs and who would have stood an actual chance of getting democratically elected are both women with the same name. Charles and Camilla will be a extremly pale replacement and if they skip him and go straight to the current generation who seem nice enough people, it won't be close to the same as it was. There won't be that history, that past glory.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Penn wrote: »
    Charles will one day be King which would make Archie a grandchild, so by that metric he would then be in line for security. But even outside of that, given the regular abuse being aimed at Meghan I don't think it would have been unreasonable to simply extend the security to her and Archie.

How many of these rules or traditions would have been written at a time when it was unlikely that a sitting monarch would have great-grandchildren anyway?

When Archie was born, Harry had security. It seems unlikely that Archie, his infant son, wouldn’t benefit from that. Then Harry and Meghan distanced themselves from the Royal family and their duties. Yeah, of course the security was no longer available to them. So Archie would have had security until they left.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Neyite wrote: »
    Is it really plausible though, that being married to a man who's the patron of a few mental health charities, that he wouldn't have a number in his phone for a very discreet, excellent MH professional for his pregnant suicidal wife? Especially when he was well able to strongly advocate for her over a sodding tiara by having a massive tantrum at his grandmother's closest friend?

I'm not doubting she struggled - the press and pressure had to have been insane. But Harry surely had a contact that could be counted on to do discreet house calls.

You think post natal depression can be negated with a house call? Or any sort of depression for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I wonder when the Queen is gone will they struggle to keep the whole thing going ,

I suspect that neither William nor Harry (well, especially not Harry) have any real interest. William has accepted his fate.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Harry "I was never allowed to ride a bike as a royal" Windsor

This isn't a bike either nor is this or this

No bike for meee

Maybe they were telling the truth about never googling themselves or each other because 2 mins on a slow broadband connection and I found those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Who says journalism is dead? This lad Freyne knows the craic

erquugfdjzl61.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

I found the interview nauseating to be honest. I used to like Harry but he just seems to be comfortable to be the sidekick and doormat.
    Its just my opinion but this was Meghan's plan all along.

Apart from the thoughts of suicide which is horrible to hear and must have been terrible to go through.
    Being denied support? William & Harry launched a Heads Together Campaign and openly discussed their mental health way before he met Meghan. You'd think Harry could have provided confidential support?
    The insinuation that Archie was denied title of Prince due to a possible race issue? The Queen's grandchildren from Anne & Edward don't have titles of Prince and Princess. Only Charles & Andrew.
    Meghan said she didn't know who Harry or the Royal Family was and didn't google him. Give me a break! She worked for years in Toronto, Canada, part of the Commonwealth and they get plenty of coverage there.
    Harry said in their engagement interview that he warned her of the media coverage. She is not that dense or naïve.

Plus a photo of herself and a pal sitting in front of Buckingham Palace as teenagers

Apart from the suicide bit, everything else smelled BS and most can be contradicted.

This was all part of a well orchestrated plan to become America's Princess. Oprah admitted on TV, that when it aired Meghan texted her to ask 'How's it going?'

Ok so, I need to focus on my life and get out more :)

I'm usually not a fan of Piers Morgan but he had the measure of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Who says journalism is dead? This lad Freyne knows the craic

erquugfdjzl61.jpg
    Outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

You weren’t there Oprah. The facilities on the island were a disgraccccce.

Keane.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I dare say that the royal family has faced greater crises than this in the past and have pulled through.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 clairevoyant

cnocbui wrote: »
    You think post natal depression can be negated with a house call? Or any sort of depression for that matter.

I'm sure not - but it sure as hell cant be negated by bashing your husband's family to Oprah Winfrey and the world

cnocbui wrote: »

She never said she had PND or depression. She said she had issues with her mental health- so could be any kind of diagnosis. PND or in her case Pre-natal depression is directly related to a hormonal imbalance caused by pregnancy or childbirth. She was fairly clear in her interview that the mental health issues stemmed from external factors such as the media and lack of support within the family and not related to her pregnancy.

In any case I can't believe that Harry couldn't make a phone call and arrange some discreet help for his pregnant suicidal wife regardless of what the person who supposedly blocked the request said. It's clear he's fiercely protective of his wife on all fronts so why didn't he find the number of a therapist for her? He had to have loads from his patronage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Ande1975 wrote: »
    I found the interview nauseating to be honest. I used to like Harry but he just seems to be comfortable to be the sidekick and doormat.
    Its just my opinion but this was Meghan's plan all along.

Apart from the thoughts of suicide which is horrible to hear and must have been terrible to go through.
    Being denied support? William & Harry launched a Heads Together Campaign and openly discussed their mental health way before he met Meghan. You'd think Harry could have provided confidential support?
    The insinuation that Archie was denied title of Prince due to a possible race issue? The Queen's grandchildren from Anne & Edward don't have titles of Prince and Princess. Only Charles & Andrew.
    Meghan said she didn't know who Harry or the Royal Family was and didn't google him. Give me a break! She worked for years in Toronto, Canada, part of the Commonwealth and they get plenty of coverage there.

Plus a photo of herself and a pal sitting in front of Buckingham Palace.

Apart from the suicide bit, everything else smelled BS and most can be contradicted.

This was all part of a well orchestrated plan. Oprah admitted on TV, that when it aired Meghan texted her to ask 'How's it going?'

Ok so, I need to focus on my life and get out more :)

She made a cameo in a funny Jimmy Kimmel skit from years ago on YT called 'I'm f**king Ben Affleck'

You think it was her plan all along?

So what, she arranged for Mam to divorce Charles, have a massive breakup with the RF, been cast aside by same, die in a car crash being chased by the media, how it have a major impact on Harry, have no one helo him deal with it.

All to get to the point that she might meet up with Harry at some point, get him to marry her, get her into the family, just so she could flounce off, with nothing, and tear down monarchy that up until a few years ago she had nothing to do with.

You honestly think that is what she did?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I suspect that neither William nor Harry (well, especially not Harry) have any real interest. William has accepted his fate.
    If there is support for the dismantling of the British Monarchy by the British people then I don't see why it wouldn't be discussed openly at a national level. Surely the decision should lay with the British people rather than with the royal family themselves.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You think it was her plan all along?

So what, she arranged for Mam to divorce Charles, have a massive breakup with the RF, been cast aside by same, die in a car crash being chased by the media, how it have a major impact on Harry, have no one helo him deal with it.

All to get to the point that she might meet up with Harry at some point, get him to marry her, get her into the family, just so she could flounce off, with nothing, and tear down monarchy that up until a few years ago she had nothing to do with.

You honestly think that is what she did?

Ah c'mon :rolleyes:
    Her plan was to nab Harry! Everything else was a bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ande1975 wrote: »

I think this reddit comment sums up Piers Morgan:

This is the guy that doesn't believe she was suicidal from the relentless daily attacks from the countries most popular papers. Yet this tiny bit of criticism was so distressing he had to walk off his own show. Bullies are always like this. If they had to experience what the give out, they will crumble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

randd1 wrote: »
    Outstanding.

Apparently all his stuff is

I've finally found an Irish journalist to follow. It's been awhile

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think this reddit comment sums up Piers Morgan:

This is the guy that doesn't believe she was suicidal from the relentless daily attacks from the countries most popular papers. Yet this tiny bit of criticism was so distressing he had to walk off his own show. Bullies are always like this. If they had to experience what the give out, they will crumble

As I said I am not a fan but he does have the measure of her.
    I never said I didn't believe she was suicidal but I agree with everything else he has said.

Advertisement