Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    He said he was completely cut off financially and had to resort to living off the millions his mother left him. Turns out he also got millions off his father to help him on the way to "financial independence " and it still wasn't good enough. What a pair of spoilt brats. They are almost 40, honestly it's embarrassing.

And yes, the financial statements of a company are automatically more reliable than a pair of proven liars.

in general, yes financial statements from a company should be more reliable then someone proven to have lied, however as both m&h aren't proven liers but proven unclarifiers, and the institution they left is extremely powerful and has such a privilaged place and must survive at any and all costs, then your final statement i would argue couldn't really apply.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

in general, yes financial statements from a company should be more reliable then someone proven to have lied, however as both m&h aren't proven liers but proven unclarifiers, and the institution they left is extremely powerful and has such a privilaged place and survive at any and all costs, then your final statement i would argue couldn't really apply.

Proven unclarifiers? Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

It’s vanishingly unlikely that Harry would ever have been put in any real danger in the army (at that time third in line to the throne) so I’m sure he did indeed enjoy his spell in it. Even he was dragged from the army like you say, that’s no excuse for expecting Doddy to continue bankrolling him. His complaining about it to Oprah did not play well and that’s because a nearing middle age man complaining about such a thing is incredibly undignified. Plus he has an inheritance that he could live off for the rest of his life if he wanted to and was smart so really, the biggest choice he had there was which violin from his tiniest violin collection should he choose to play.

That's just it, they walked away with what any average person would consider a lottery win and were on Oprah talking like they were dropped penniless at the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

in general, yes financial statements from a company should be more reliable then someone proven to have lied, however as both m&h aren't proven liers but proven unclarifiers, and the institution they left is extremely powerful and has such a privilaged place and must survive at any and all costs, then your final statement i would argue couldn't really apply.
    Are you suggesting that the palace aides employed by this "extremely powerful institution" will rustle up some fake documents and statements of financial accounts?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    That's just it, they walked away with what any average person would consider a lottery win and were on Oprah talking like they were dropped penniless at the train station.

Left standing forlornly outside the palace gates with only the expensive clothes on their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Left standing forlornly outside the palace gates with only the expensive clothes on their backs.

Archie holding out a tin cup asking passers-by "Please sir, can I have some more?"

To thine own self be true

Not only that, but a gold-plated 'or get your palace back' guarantee from the queen in their back pocket, if they didn't like the big bad world outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

MoonUnit75 wrote: »

And then bought a 15 million mansion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Multipass wrote: »
    And then bought a 15 million mansion.

It has only nine bedrooms... :D bit like my own house really... :D

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/inside-meghan-and-harry-s-new-14-7m-nine-bed-16-bath-california-home-1.4329424

They have bitten the hand that feeds (or fed :pac:) them, extremely hard, IMHO...

They could have slummed it out :p in jolly old Frogmore Cottage, in a relatively publicity free lifestyle had they wanted to. Obviously, not what they wanted. Shucks.

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Proven unclarifiers? Lol.

Recollections obviously do vary!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Be right back

Well Harry is on his way back to London for the unveiling of his mother's statue. Poor lad, hope he will be able to cope with being back there. Trauma!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I wonder will anyone invite him around for a candlelight supper, a la Mrs Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances...

I'm not up to speed with the requirements about quarantine between the two countries, but no doubt if he has to self isolate, there will be another tearful interview with Oprah, about how he was shunned...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Well Harry is on his way back to London for the unveiling of his mother's statue. Poor lad, hope he will be able to cope with being back there. Trauma!!

The brother should bring him on a mad bender afterwards. A bit of debauched drinking and whoring should sort his head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Be right back

Wombatman wrote: »
    The brother should bring him on a mad bender afterwards. A bit of debauched drinking and whoring should sort his head out.

I reckon he'll be lucky if William gives him the time of day! He'll have to have the session on his own!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It’s vanishingly unlikely that Harry would ever have been put in any real danger in the army (at that time third in line to the throne) so I’m sure he did indeed enjoy his spell in it. Even he was dragged from the army like you say, that’s no excuse for expecting Doddy to continue bankrolling him. His complaining about it to Oprah did not play well and that’s because a nearing middle age man complaining about such a thing is incredibly undignified. Plus he has an inheritance that he could live off for the rest of his life if he wanted to and was smart so really, the biggest choice he had there was which violin from his tiniest violin collection should he choose to play.

Even his stint in the army had moments where his privilege got him where he wanted.

Now, I'll be honest that I've limited understanding of army life but my basic grasp is you go wherever your commanding officers tell you to go. In 2007 he wanted to go to Iraq with the rest of his unit but his CO's rightly felt that it would put an heir (4th in line at that point) at undue risk and possibly more importantly, his regiment would have an especially big target looming over them, putting them at more risk than other regiments in the war zone.

In 2012 he finally got his way - again the MOD felt it was far too risky for him and his team if he went but he pestered granny to lean on the MOD and let him go. He used his heavy hitting connections to get his CO's overruled. You can't say in one breath you are no different and not given any special treatment in your regiment and get Granny who happens to be head of the armed forces for the entire country to pull strings and put you somewhere generals wanted you the hell away from...

The amount of MI5, MI6 and CIA resources that would have been in play to keep him safe, the amount of logistics and plans the MOD would have had to work out, coordinating the media blackout so Harry could go play soldiers and pretend he's a real boy must have been staggering.

He is a prince of the realm. He isn't ordinary. That's the whole point. If he was ordinary, he never would have had all that money. He wouldn't have had Daddy getting him into prestigious schools despite his poor grades being dragged out of him by the finest private tutors. He never would have got a look in at Sandhurst or Eton. If he was ordinary he'd have gone to a local comp where the teachers would have given up on the non-academic joker at the back of the class and would have probably dropped out to hang around the city centre in a tracksuit selling weed. And Meghan wouldn't have looked at him sideways.

Who he was born as has literally made him the man he is today. There's nothing of note that he's achieved that didn't come about through his family status or his unearned wealth. That's true of most of the royals to be fair, but he's the only one going around moaning that his salary got stopped when he quit a job.

They could have slummed it out in jolly old Frogmore Cottage, in a relatively publicity free lifestyle had they wanted to.
    could they? some how i doubt it.

could they? some how i doubt it.

of course they could, many royals live very quiet, out of the limelight lives while still living in the UK.

bubblypop wrote: »
    of course they could, many royals live very quiet, out of the limelight lives while still living in the UK.

yes but those are generally minor royals.
    harry and meghan were senior members who stepped down, and there is some bitterness about that from certain elements of the media as we know.
    so i am not so sure they would have been able to simply step down and go live quietly at frogmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Fact is Meghan wants....craves the spotlight, so a publicity free lifestyle wont suit her.

She has notions of being the next Kim Kardashian and shes going the right way about it, albeit at the expense of her husbands family connections.

• Advertisement

yes but those are generally minor royals.
    harry and meghan were senior members who stepped down, and there is some bitterness about that from certain elements of the media as we know.
    so i am not so sure they would have been able to simply step down and go live quietly at frogmore.

I think that the bitterness stems from the lies told by Harry and Meghan in that awful interview with Oprah, especially when his grandfather was lying on his death bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I reckon he'll be lucky if William gives him the time of day! He'll have to have the session on his own!!

The debauched booze and lechery is more Andrew's specialty ;)

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Fact is Meghan wants....craves the spotlight, so a publicity free lifestyle wont suit her.

She has notions of being the next Kim Kardashian and shes going the right way about it, albeit at the expense of her husbands family connections.

I thought that was probably the most honest part of their interview, where Meghan said palace advisors told her she was 'over-saturated' and she felt she was 'everywhere but nowhere' or words to that effect. That seems plausible that the palace were refusing to run Meghan's positive press releases and she got revenge by saying the same people ignored the 'psychological pain' she said the unflattering stories caused her.

beakerjoe wrote: »

We all know how KKs career started!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Harry would do well to hit a few pubs around Mayfair, get steaming drunk, make a fool of himself and just let his hair down.
    This Father Earth lifestyle must be a bit boring by now.
    Naked billiards anyone?

To thine own self be true

I think that the bitterness stems from the lies told by Harry and Meghan in that awful interview with Oprah, especially when his grandfather was lying on his death bed.

realistically that's not what they are bitter about as no actual lies were told in the interview, certainly they should have clarified some stuff but everything else considered a lie is either not or it is stuff that can be easily explained away but is being spewed up into something else to push particular narratives.
    not to mention that it's unlikely those elements of the media care about lies, whatever about prince phillip, so they wouldn't be bitter at meghan and harry for any of that if they were even guilty of actually lieing rather then simply failing to clarify certain things, unless it was simply a way to express fake outrage.
    the real reason those media outlets are bitter is their next big thing in terms of royalty, the golden gooses, flipped to another country, meaning they were now sort of out of reach of those publications and the mountains of stories they were hoping to be able to write.
    granted they still have some fodder to write, but realistically apart from the target audience, something tells me a lot of people just see it as trashy publications engaging in fo/fake outrage over nothing.

realistically that's not what they are bitter about as no actual lies were told in the interview, certainly they should have clarified some stuff but everything else considered a lie is either not or it is stuff that can be easily explained away but is being spewed up into something else to push particular narratives.
    not to mention that it's unlikely those elements of the media care about lies, whatever about prince phillip, so they wouldn't be bitter at meghan and harry for any of that if they were even guilty of actually lieing rather then simply failing to clarify certain things, unless it was simply a way to express fake outrage.
    the real reason those media outlets are bitter is their next big thing in terms of royalty, the golden gooses, flipped to another country, meaning they were now sort of out of reach of those publications and the mountains of stories they were hoping to be able to write.
    granted they still have some fodder to write, but realistically apart from the target audience, something tells me a lot of people just see it as trashy publications engaging in fo/fake outrage over nothing.

Just some of the lies for you.

Lie No 1. Meghan and Harry's 'secret' wedding
    Lie No 2. Archie was refused a royal title because of his skin colour
    Lie No 3. Archie was denied 24/7 protection because he wasn't a prince
    Lie No 4. Concerns over Archie's skin colour
    Lie No 5. Meghan had her passport taken away
    Lie No 6. Meghan was 'silenced' by the Palace
    Lie No 7. The Royal Family refused to help Meghan with her mental health
    Lie No 8. Meghan 'never looked Harry up online'
    Lie No 9. Meghan 'hadn't seen sister for almost 20 years'
    Lie No 10. TV and media careers weren't ever part of their plan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm struggling to think of what wasn't a lie in that interview.

Just some of the lies for you.

Lie No 1. Meghan and Harry's 'secret' wedding
    Lie No 2. Archie was refused a royal title because of his skin colour
    Lie No 3. Archie was denied 24/7 protection because he wasn't a prince
    Lie No 4. Concerns over Archie's skin colour
    Lie No 5. Meghan had her passport taken away
    Lie No 6. Meghan was 'silenced' by the Palace
    Lie No 7. The Royal Family refused to help Meghan with her mental health
    Lie No 8. Meghan 'never looked Harry up online'
    Lie No 9. Meghan 'hadn't seen sister for almost 20 years'
    Lie No 10. TV and media careers weren't ever part of their plan

1 is not a lie but rather a failure to clarify that it was how they felt and that they had either a private serimony/blessing or a practice session.
    2 was a statement of what she felt which to be fair was quite clear that it was nothing more then that.
    3 from what i remember may have been similar to 2 but i didn't pay much attention to that specific point, likely not specifically a lie anyway.
    4 is definitely not a lie, someone obviously did say something about the child's skin color, with harry being aware of only 1 incident but meghan subjected to more.
    5 6 and 7 cannot be said either way to be lies or not.
    8 is much a do about nothing, maybe she looked him up and maybe she didn't but it's a non-issue either way.
    9 unaware of details, don't particularly care anyway tbh.
    10 not a lie as such, looking at one's options doesn't automatically mean that they were after such, so it's possible that media careers weren't part of the plan originally but they just gave a look anyway.
    so yeah, no real lies there from what i can see.

• Advertisement

1 is not a lie but rather a failure to clarify that it was how they felt and that they had either a private serimony/blessing or a practice session.
    2 was a statement of what she felt which to be fair was quite clear that it was nothing more then that.
    3 from what i remember may have been similar to 2 but i didn't pay much attention to that specific point, likely not specifically a lie anyway.
    4 is definitely not a lie, someone obviously did say something about the child's skin color, with harry being aware of only 1 incident but meghan subjected to more.
    5 6 and 7 cannot be said either way to be lies or not.
    8 is much a do about nothing, maybe she looked him up and maybe she didn't but it's a non-issue either way.
    9 unaware of details, don't particularly care anyway tbh.
    10 not a lie as such, looking at one's options doesn't automatically mean that they were after such, so it's possible that media careers weren't part of the plan originally but they just gave a look anyway.
    so yeah, no real lies there from what i can see.

🤥🤑😳

Advertisement