Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So the statue unveiling is tomorrow isn’t it ? Be interesting to see the body language between the two. I take it’s only the two lads and no other members of the family, because if there are others than people will start reading into who’s there and who isn’t there. If I had a say in it(and Ive got a better chance of getting the ride off Angelina Jolie) that’s what I’d suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So the statue unveiling is tomorrow isn’t it ? Be interesting to see the body language between the two. I take it’s only the two lads and no other members of the family, because if there are others than people will start reading into who’s there and who isn’t there. If I had a say in it(and Ive got a better chance of getting the ride off Angelina Jolie) that’s what I’d suggest.

god, how awkward is that. I actually feel cringy just thinking of it, the two next to each other..how it must be for them..:eek: But with Harry so brainwashed he's in that cloud thinking he's the great guy on the right track and William the 'poor, unlightened' person.

next to the european soccer cup it must be that event for the british media/tabloids at the minute.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1456824/Diana-statue-unveiling-live-Prince-Harry-news-William-pictures-Princess-Diana-statue-time

that article gives a bit more good insight to the unveiling. happening in about two hours..

Brothers put aside the rifts between them for that event. Still awkward situation..

Kate and the Queen not present...that's a statement I would say.
    Interesting, article also says Kate already visited the statue with the three kids. Makes sense, one easily (me, at least...:o) forget Diana is the Granny they never knew. Quite sad actually. Kids don't care at the moment, but the older you get, the more you wish to have known the unknown grandparents. At least that's with me also..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

What are the odds that the statue will be Diana sitting on a "Bench" looking at the Garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Be right back

valoren wrote: »
    What are the odds that the statue will be Diana sitting on a "Bench" looking at the Garden?

Rumours flying around that it could be and that's where Meghan got her idea for the book.

Spotted this on Instagram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Rumours flying around that it could be and that's where Meghan got her idea for the book.

In fairness, they're not releasing pictures of their child and rightly so.
    He could have been caught off guard and an awkward moment ensued.
    "Face like thunder" is just that mother's interpretation.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

State of whoever wrote that comment. (The Instagram one, not the boards poster).

The Daily Mail-esque outrage is strong with this person.

I find it rich that she said that "you'd think he was asked to throw her under a bus" when her reaction is a kin to Harry telling her son to piss off.

The self entitlement of some people is unreal.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It could easily have been a child primed by an adult to ask - the amount of money the first picture of her would command by the press is probably mental money. If he gets his phone out to show a kid there's any number of paparazzi who have long lenses well able to zoom in on that picture. I think that they've every right to keep the children private. I did wonder was it to get lucrative exclusives themselves but it appears not which is great. I suspect it's more Harry driving that though given his own childhood experiences.

I don't think that pictures of kids should be expected though. But maybe I'm showing my age there - I was well into adulthood before camera phones (or even digital cameras) became commonplace. Social media didn't exist (thank god!) back then either. The worst your ma could do is drag out the family photo album to show visitors you running around in your pelt with only a pair of wellies on. And that single photo could go mysteriously missing when you were around 9 or so and that would be the end of it. *whistles innocently* These days photos go around the world and stay out there forever.

I know plenty of people who aren't famous but don't put their kids on social media - and to them it's simply that the kids are their own persons and deserving of their own privacy until they are old enough to decide for themselves.

So yeah, I'm critical of H&M for a lot of stuff, but keeping their kids private is one of the few things I give them credit for.

Neyite wrote: »
    It could easily have been a child primed by an adult to ask - the amount of money the first picture of her would command by the press is probably mental money. If he gets his phone out to show a kid there's any number of paparazzi who have long lenses well able to zoom in on that picture. I think that they've every right to keep the children private. I did wonder was it to get lucrative exclusives themselves but it appears not which is great. I suspect it's more Harry driving that though given his own childhood experiences.

I don't think that pictures of kids should be expected though. But maybe I'm showing my age there - I was well into adulthood before camera phones (or even digital cameras) became commonplace. Social media didn't exist (thank god!) back then either. The worst your ma could do is drag out the family photo album to show visitors you running around in your pelt with only a pair of wellies on. And that single photo could go mysteriously missing when you were around 9 or so and that would be the end of it. *whistles innocently* These days photos go around the world and stay out there forever.

I know plenty of people who aren't famous but don't put their kids on social media - and to them it's simply that the kids are their own persons and deserving of their own privacy until they are old enough to decide for themselves.

So yeah, I'm critical of H&M for a lot of stuff, but keeping their kids private is one of the few things I give them credit for.

Spot on, Im not their biggest fans lately, but I wouldnt be putting any blame on this alleged "incident".

• Advertisement

valoren wrote: »

Statue is of her standing with two kids! I was wrong too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I agree their kids are entitled to their privacy and it's this woman's opinion but perhaps he could have laughed it off or something!

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Why does she want it toppled?

Because it doesn’t look a bit like Diana!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Because it doesn’t look a bit like Diana!

I was thinking Arnold Schwarzenegger when he was young :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

*Puke*
    St Diana, Saviour of Little Children.

I agree their kids are entitled to their privacy and it's this woman's opinion but perhaps he could have laughed it off or something!

Mayeb he did and this idiot on Instragam is just a crank.

I wanted it to be of her shaking someone’s hand.

Her photo with an AIDS sufferer is iconic and done so much to remove the stigma around HIV & AIDS.

But the statute is nice. If I didn’t look at the head, I’d know it was Diana from the outfit and figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Statue should have been of Diana in body armour, waving a metal detector.

There’s another hand (and I think body) behind the girl !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The statue is awful! I don’t get the relevance of the two random children. I thought it was William and Harry as boys at first, which would have been more fitting

beakerjoe wrote: »

Mayeb he did and this idiot on Instragam is just a crank.

She does come across as being very precious alright!

The statue is awful! I don’t get the relevance of the two random children. I thought it was William and Harry as boys at first, which would have been more fitting
    She is surrounded by three children who represent the "universality and generational impact" of her work.

From Kensington Palace.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It just feels off, doesn't it? That level of outrage from the mother is off the scale. I don't think kids would even think to ask him to see a picture, unless primed by a very cheeky parent who is manipulative enough to think that he wouldn't say no to a kid. You get the feeling that had he shown them a picture of his newborn that she'd have been front and centre on Sky news and all the tabloids tomorrow complete with photofit of the baby describing her worldwide scoop. Equally, you get the feeling that if he politely said "oh, sorry, can't do that, we don't share photos of our children" she'd have ran to the press with a spin on that too.

As much of a twat I think Harry can be, he didn't actually say anything that you could get so mortally offended the way she did, did he? His face changed and he moved on. She needs to calm down. Celebs are trained shut down and move on without comment when they are asked something intrusive aren't they?

To quote herself, who TF does she think she is to say that about someone who's made it clear for years now, that he keeps his kids image private.

somehow creepy with that hand (third child??) coming from behind...why's that at all ??
    also my first thought was why's there a girl because the first thing your mind expect is Harry and William with her. But it obviously would have been a bit presumptuous from the two to set themselves a statue.
    But I think deep inside they wished for it, to show them all three together, so the two kids really stand for William and Harry. Just my opinion.

Neyite wrote: »
    It just feels off, doesn't it? That level of outrage from the mother is off the scale. I don't think kids would even think to ask him to see a picture, unless primed by a very cheeky parent who is manipulative enough to think that he wouldn't say no to a kid. You get the feeling that had he shown them a picture of his newborn that she'd have been front and centre on Sky news and all the tabloids tomorrow complete with photofit of the baby describing her worldwide scoop. Equally, you get the feeling that if he politely said "oh, sorry, can't do that, we don't share photos of our children" she'd have ran to the press with a spin on that too.

As much of a twat I think Harry can be, he didn't actually say anything that you could get so mortally offended the way she did, did he? His face changed and he moved on. She needs to calm down. Celebs are trained shut down and move on without comment when they are asked something intrusive aren't they?

To quote herself, who TF does she think she is to say that about someone who's made it clear for years now, that he keeps his kids image private.

Sure the whole incident is alleged by an anonymous self entitled mother. Probably didnt even happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I don’t like the statue. I don’t think it looks much like Diana. At first I thought the two children were William and Harry when they were young but that would have been odd. Three random children is even more odd though. Must be an emotional day for William and Harry. I think it’s a pity Diana’s grandchildren were not present for the unveiling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The three children are visible in one of the images here.

https://www.rte.ie/news/uk/2021/0701/1232512-diana-statue/

Advertisement