Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It reminds me of religious iconography. Isn't it St Anthony who is always depicted with children? Horrible, syrupy thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Sardonicat wrote: »
    It reminds me of religious iconography. Isn't it St Anthony who is always depicted with children? Horrible, syrupy thing.

Yeah I agree it looks wrong. A statue of Diana on her own maybe holding a bouquet of flowers seeing as she’s in a garden of her favourite flowers would have been better I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Yep, not like it was the perfect excuse to get him out of the country pronto.

She's not close to *any* of her extended family.

I had an uncle I didn't know/wasn't in touch with. I certainly didn't require consoling when he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’ve seen a minute clip of them arriving and unveiling the statue and it seemed less tense then it had been which is good. The statue didn’t look that much like their late mother but I’ve seen worse likenesses of famous people.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Another news report said that he had suffered from Parkinsons so it could genuinely have been an inability to travel due to ill health.

But also equally likely that he wasn't invited.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Yep, not like it was the perfect excuse to get him out of the country pronto.

She's not close to *any* of her extended family.

I had an uncle I didn't know/wasn't in touch with. I certainly didn't require consoling when he died.

Meghan loves the sympathy. She craves it.

She seems like such a cold hearted woman.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I’ve seen a minute clip of them arriving and unveiling the statue and it seemed less tense then it had been which is good. The statue didn’t look that much like their late mother but I’ve seen worse likenesses of famous people.

I thought they put up a good front but Harry was notably nervous and William seemed more composed. I saw a few clips where Harry was making awkward quips and was doing that thing where you don’t quite know where to put your hands. Kind of understandable that he would be nervous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

https://www.ktvn.com/clip/15230918/watch-princes-william-harry-unveil-princess-diana-statue

I think this is so telling. William is ignoring Harry as best as he can and just always walking ahead of him, having that frowning face all the time. Harry all smiley and chatty...:mad:
    After the unveiling, William is kind of throwing that cord in front of Harry's feet. Harry still looking towards William, but William just stepping away looking at the statue.

Also, that woman, probably an aunt and sister of Diana, is coming up to them but standing very closely to William, leaving Harry stand on his own.
    Completely understandable and expected behaviour.

tara73 wrote: »
    https://www.ktvn.com/clip/15230918/watch-princes-william-harry-unveil-princess-diana-statue

I think this is so telling. William is ignoring Harry as best as he can and just always walking ahead of him, having that frowning face all the time. Harry all smiley and chatty...:mad:
    After the unveiling, William is kind of throwing that cord in front of Harry's feet. Harry still looking towards William, but William just stepping away looking at the statue.

Also, that woman, probably an aunt and sister of Diana, is coming up to them but standing very closely to William, leaving Harry stand on his own.

Yeah I thought that was telling that Diana’s sister came over stood between them just as they had unveiled the statue as they were kind of standing awkwardly unsure what to do. It was a deliberate move I’d say, to ease the awkwardness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It all seems a bit awkward like Harry doesn't really know what to do with himself and trying to act overly cheery to cover it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I thought they put up a good front but Harry was notably nervous and William seemed more composed. I saw a few clips where Harry was making awkward quips and was doing that thing where you don’t quite know where to put your hands. Kind of understandable that he would be nervous though.

I didn't see any clips, but was reading about the unveiling, on a U.K. website, some said that Harry was trying to be chatty and laughing, but William remained serious. From the photos I saw, I agree, they put up a good front.

In fairness, it was a serious occasion, commemorating their mother on what would have been her sixtieth birthday. And I think it would be difficult for William to fake camaraderie, and jollity with Harry. He must be very deeply hurt, and indeed angry about the things that have been said, about him, and the rest of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

I don't know if it is true or not, but I read that the statue has one black child with shoes on, and two white children with no shoes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

There’s another hand (and I think body) behind the girl !

It looks like E.T. pointing at something.

I don't know if it is true or not, but I read that the statue has one black child with shoes on, and two white children with no shoes on.

That’s correct. Though, I don’t get the significance of the 3 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Dreadful statue

Whatever materials they used for the statue is what makes it look awful. Is it bronze? Whatever it is it’s very harsh looking and it would have benefited from something softer and lighter. It’s awful looking tbh. Not taking away from the skill it takes to craft something like that, I can barely make a flower out of play dough but Diana looks like a man in it with dribble coming out of her mouth. I read elsewhere that Harry and William couldn’t come to an agreement on it and were back and forth for years differing over how it should look so maybe that’s why it turned out like a hames

• Registered Users Posts: 17,062 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I think the statue is very like her, even the posture, but it's very drab and flat looking. The facial expression is too neutral.

The 3 children add nothing to it and just look weird.

Whatever materials they used for the statue is what makes it look awful. Is it bronze? Whatever it is it’s very harsh looking and it would have benefited from something softer and lighter. It’s awful looking tbh. Not taking away from the skill it takes to craft something like that, I can barely make a flower out of play dough but Diana looks like a man in it with dribble coming out of her mouth. I read elsewhere that Harry and William couldn’t come to an agreement on it and were back and forth for years differing over how it should look so maybe that’s why it turned out like a hames

that's what I think too. dress is much like what she was wearing but her upper body is too wide, makes her look like a man or something.

also the material is very rough looking. maybe it's better in reality than on a photo, but don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

That’s correct. Though, I don’t get the significance of the 3 children.

I don't get the significance of the missing shoes.

I don't get the significance of the missing shoes.

I don’t get the significance of the statue after all this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Dreadful statue

Comments in the Daily Telegraph are hilarious. One likens the head and stare to Myra Hindley. Lots seeing a resemblance to Claire Baldwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Be right back

I don’t get the significance of the statue after all this time!

I think she has that garden called after her and isn't there a foundation too?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

that's what I think too. dress is much like what she was wearing but her upper body is too wide, makes her look like a man or something.

also the material is very rough looking. maybe it's better in reality than on a photo, but don't think so.

I agree. I read somewhere that the sculptor is more used to sculpting male statues. So, maybe he was the wrong choice (says I knowledgeably :D).

It doesn't capture her elegance, imo, and I have seen comparisons of the features to everyone from Clare Balding to Theresa May. And the children, just no.

https://hyperallergic.com/660933/newly-unveiled-princess-diana-sculpture-prompts-criticism/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I agree. I read somewhere that the sculptor is more used to sculpting male statues. So, maybe he was the wrong choice (says I knowledgeably :D).

It doesn't capture her elegance, imo, and I have seen comparisons of the features to everyone from Clare Balding to Theresa May. And the children, just no.

https://hyperallergic.com/660933/newly-unveiled-princess-diana-sculpture-prompts-criticism/

Yes just not a good sculpture IMO.

Here's a sculptor (sculptress?) who does female figures which IMO are stunning:
    https://www.galeries-bartoux.com/en/artists/luo-li-rong/

Like this for instance:
    Melodieinterieure-luolirong-203x98x112cm--255x255.jpg Or this: luo-li-rong_automnal_87cm-255x255.jpg

Imagine what someone like that could have done with the Diana contract?

had a look at a pic of the statue again. proportions are way off. head is too big too. all in all she's like some giant..

interesting, at first I couldn't make out what it is, why the instant feeling it's somehow creepy, but with all the other comments here it's getting more and more clear. the proportions are off... not with the children, but with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

The more bronze statues I see, the more I realise how crap they are. Well, ones that are supposed to be a likeness anyway. They are rarely flattering to those they honour.

had a look at a pic of the statue again. proportions are way off. head is too big too. all in all she's like some giant..

interesting, at first I couldn't make out what it is, why the instant feeling it's somehow creepy, but with all the other comments here it's getting more and more clear. the proportions are off... not with the children, but with her.

Her bust is way too big compared to the photo it was inspired by- her face has a vacant look and her jaw too square

• Advertisement

And her arms are really long!

Advertisement