Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

It was tactless on Diana’s anniversary. It seems that the publishers used it as a cynical marketing ploy…

How are the Americans not seeing through them?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

They do appear to strategically pick their moments - or rather their PR team do. Crass though.

I remember being woken up by a friend who was working in a pub and heard the news as it broke. He came straight to my house to tell me. (he was English so probably why it was more of a shocker for him than it would be for a typical Irish person). Funnily enough I was working my notice somewhere and the manager was really horrible to me, and he got more horrible when I told him I was leaving. So I'd just had a week from hell and due to finish the Saturday evening of the funeral. He was such a fcuker to me that when he sent me on lunch that day, I went to the pub and didn't ever go back.

I've often felt that her death changed how British people showed their emotions from that point on. They really did gnash and wail something awful and a big departure from the traditional stoic British stiff upper lip perception. It felt like competitive grieving was going on, of who could cry the most over her. And the abuse the RF got for not walking around Bond street roaring their snotty heads off along with the people was just...weird. Two young boys, lost their mother suddenly and the demand for them all to display their grief in a certain way was really distasteful I thought. It would have been far better had the family stayed in Balmoral with the boys away from the insanity that was London for as long as they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 BrokenWingz

I think many people are, I don’t know many Americans who have much time for these wanna-be “celebrities”.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,343 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont remember the details, but an opinion guy not being allowed have opinions on an opinion show would not be a good look so good decision

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I wonder how many of the complaints were about attempts to silence Piers rather than what he actually said?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had forgotten what exactly he said and it seems this is it. From the Irish Times:

After a clip aired of Markle discussing her issues with mental health and suicidal thoughts and royal official’s knowledge of them, Morgan said during the ITV programme: “I’m sorry, I don’t believe a word she says. I wouldn’t believe her if she read me a weather report.” His comments were criticised by the British mental-health charity Mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,343 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I think what annoys me most about Meghan is that she's made me agree with Piers.

I will never forgive her for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Fair play to him for saying what he thinks. I totally agree with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Well now. Omid says a lot.

"Pipe down Lickspittle" LOL glorious stuff!

Its quite telling that Omid’s tweet about Ofcom only has 392 likes, 105 retweet’s and 368 comments.

For such a “power couple” I thought the reactions to their mouthpieces tweets would be in the tens of thousands 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A classic case of mass hysteria . I am surprised that no thesis was ever done about the reason behind it .Old men and young teens wailing and sobbing and people huddled together like it was a world wide disaster . It was a strange phenomenon to watch and it spread like wildfire

I found it very strange. I can understand sadness at someone's death, but crying openly in public about someone they'd never met, who probably wouldn't want to meet them, I just didn't get. I couldn't understand if my feelings were due to being Irish, or due to having a critical thinking brain.

Omid just can't help himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Laurenf35

Hi

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

And England has always taken pride in, and had the reputation of the 'stiff upper lip' which made it all the more extraordinary as a spectacle. People were not just crying quietly, they were weeping and wailing on the streets, about a woman they most likely never even met.

Of course it was very sad that she died so young, and in such a manner, but it was a very strange time indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Without H&M Omid Scobie would disappear in to irrelevance. I think he may be going off on his own with some of the stuff he's saying to keep himself in the celebrity spotlight.

Also he only seems to be relevant to the UK press. I don't think anyone in the States would give him any time.

Accurate?!

• Advertisement

I would genuinely like to see the pro-Harry and Meghan crew’s defence of Meghan lying dead in a car crash scene in the biopic about their life. It was apparently endorsed by them

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A new TV movie based on their book, Finding freedom. Riveting!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Talk about tasteless - trying to draw parallels between Meghan and Diana. For a couple who bang on about how much Harry's mother was exploited by the media, they're doing a pretty good job of exploiting her memory themselves - or at least endorsing those who are doing so.

Sorry about the Daily Mail link, but it has the unsavoury details: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9954621/Meghan-Markle-lies-dying-underneath-overturned-car-start-controversial-new-TV-film.html

"Harry & Meghan: Escaping the Palace, the third made-for-TV movie from US cable channel Lifetime, will dramatise the Sussexes' 'controversial conscious uncoupling from the crown, after the birth of their son Archie', according to its synopsis. Today it was revealed the movie will open with a dream sequence which sees Meghan, 40, involved in a car accident - just days after the 24th anniversary of Princess Diana's death in Paris. As her overturned car is surrounded by photographers, a desperate Prince Harry, 36, pushes his way through the mob before pulling the door open. A seriously injured Meghan then pleads with him to help her - but the ordeal is just a nightmare and Harry wakes up and is comforted to see his wife and their son Archie."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i will happily do the honours.

it's a scene in a film.

honestly, people here are more outraged over these 2 then the english, mad stuff altogether.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Plenty of people I know in England wouldn't give these two the time of day now!

can't imagine hazza and megsy care tbh, they did what they needed to do and got out to live their lives, and seem to be quite happy.

^^ They don't seem happy to me, quite negative in their outlook and slating of the Royal family and the press.

Might be just a bad angle.

Pity they couldn't just get on with it then, without sticking the boot into his family!

I find the happiest people I know are the ones who live their life without holding grudges 😊

• Advertisement

its the institution they are sticking the boot into more then his family.

to be honest no issue in the rf as an institution being exposed as not being the fairy tale that some seem to think it is .

Advertisement