Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

It's a bit bad form, they couldn't go to Prince Philips memorial because of security issues, but they can pop in a couple of weeks later, on their way to the Netherlands? Where, their own security are not given permission to carry firearms.

Why no security concerns anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,148 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It was an unannounced visit.

They will receive police protection in Holland.

They will. They would.have received police protection in the UK too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,148 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I assume they would if it came to it, but there has been no solid assurances of such especially if they deviated from pre approved royal detail.

The threat against him in particular has to be taken as credible in the UK.

I think the court case that concluded this week should be a stark reminder of the level of fundamental nutter that still dwells over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I think the visit could be a summons from the queen & charles as you cant just rock up to the queen and say Hi granny. I would say also Netflix insisted they go there even if they didnt go inside just for the optics on camera, as without the royal sheen they are essentially nobody. The snub form the Dutch royal family was very telling & unexpected.

Having looked at the footage now they seem ot be playing to the camera crew lots of loving looks and she has stepped back a bit allowing harry to have this invictus moment . They should respect this jubilee year for the queen and keep a low profile for the next few month s and also not attend the jubilee as they will create a circus taking the attention off the queen and its her year if she even makes it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

They shouldn't worry about the book coming out as Harry s credibility is gone and everyone expects a load of lies about Kate & Camilla as megan hates them so its will be another whinge fest and a pay check. Megan is a very insecure girl and trying to fit in to the English aristocracy in the UK is hard for English commoners, never mind Compton ones !

Her constant handling of Harry is proof of this, her need to grab hold of him is her in built inadequacy showing through. You can gain great height in the US if you have money but in the UK its all about the class system and she will never really be allowed into that ever and the now they are reviled and not trusted by anyone even the Hollywood celebs are all backing off as they cant keep their mouths shut. Discretion is the better part of valor always.

'Compton ' ?

🙄🙄 not much wonder she complains of racism.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think London Bridge is falling all right. You often see it, couples who are lifelong joined at the hip, one doesn't be long following the other in the end. I think she'll be stubborn enough to hold on until the Jubilee but after that I can't see her lasting much longer.

Everyone knows that their meetings with the Queen are probably numbered in single digits and they would be idiots if they didn't try to get a meeting with Queen and their kids and get it on camera. This trip was an ice-breaker without the cameras in tow. They need to strengthen the reminder that they are still 'family'. As evidenced by the Dutch royal family's lack of invite to them, they need to reinforce that while they are not working royals, they are still royals. Might as well start with the one that they didn't overtly trash in the Oprah interview. Especially if time is of the essence to mend fences -they learned that from Philip's passing.

They know that if the Queen received them, then other aristocrats who are on the fence will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

More scandal ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I wonder has she got cancer. There was a piece in the Telegraph yesterday which basically said the upcoming shindig on the balcony is likely to be the last major family gathering with her as monarch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

She has looked increasingly frail recently, but it could simply be a natural decline at her age. If it were cancer I think she'd have succumbed by now, and ethically there's only so much treatment you can expect someone of that age to endure, queen or not.

She's nearly 96, so realistically the end is nigh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Harry talking about the queen...

'I’m just making sure that she’s, you know, protected and got the right people around her,” he explained to Hoda. “You know, home — home for me, now, is, you know, for the time being, in the states.'

https://www.today.com/news/news/prince-harry-queen-protected-today-show-rcna25037

What a loving, devoted grandson. So loving and devoted that he couldn’t attend his grandfather’s memorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Or criticise his family on TV at a time when his Grandfather was dying.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

And what a load of deluded nonsense anyway. He flies in briefly 'to make sure she is protected' like the returning hero - in his own mind.

The (overgrown) boy in the bubble more like.

Especially when he can't get himself protected and resorts to legal action! 😂

Still, it gives the right impression to their American audience.

Yes, an unfortunate choice of words on his part, I thought 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

It's done for PR with the goal of insinuating that Harry retains some influence within the operations of the British Royal family whereas the reality is that he doesn't. He puts it across casually but once again he wasn't pressed for details by the interviewer i.e. he is protecting the Queen from who exactly? Protecting her from what exactly? It's another general game of Guess Who being played and Harry wants to convey the idea that he is both the hero and the victim at the same time i.e. he got out but still wants to help his family. My guess is that it's also a dig at either his father and brother or indeed both of them for not protecting his granny. He is playing on the idea of them all being collectively trapped as per the Oprah interview and living in a controlled bubble where the palace suits hold the true power and influence and the Royal family are posited as puppets within this structure. (e.g. when a meeting at Sandringham was agreed upon with his Granny but then it was cancelled at short notice because the so called snakes in the grass used their influence to stop any meeting). It was from this system that Harry and his family escaped from and now that he has found freedom so to speak that he feels that he has the capacity to be valuable to not only the current but also the future monarchs (if they'll allow him) as someone no longer beholden to the institution. He is someone who can tell them how things really are. My intuition feels that it's all a gambit for Harry to retain some semblance of a relationship going forward with his family as retaining his connection to them is actually needed as it's that which gives him any kind of influence as it stands.

I read this elsewhere so I don't have the specifics but he apparently was asked in a Dutch tv interview about comments he made in relation to Ukraine.

'E.g. what did he mean by "we need to do more"? And he said 'uhhh... we need to Do More, we need to Step Up, we need to Use Less Words And More Action, repeating all the empty buzzphrases with zero specifics. And the interviewer kept pressing him, what did he mean by "do more" and who is it addressed to? And he said uhhhh... everyone?'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

going by normal family dynamic not just royal, i would find it hard to believe a runaway mouthpiece can jet in and make sure of anything! ...i'm sure charles and will have it all sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

Interesting to see that he is doubling down on his anti RF narrative and shows no sign of regret, contrition, reflection on how his past comments have genuinely hurt his family.. Another interview spilling the beans hours after his visit with the queen, getting the digs in. Its clear he is holding Charles responsible for his monther's unhappiness and is doing everything through that lens. He shows no awareness that Charles was himself a vicitim of the institution or any capacity to be empathetic towards him, or any happiness for him that he is finally married to the person he should have married originally. Its all about Harry and how he can get his hands on everything he sees as being owed to him, Charles' money, police protection, adoration, status.

Interesting that the Invictus Games are an annual event, it seems too often to do an event like that. I cant see how it will generate that much interest and sponsorship every year, (for Harry, the vets dont seem to be getting any of the coverage) especially as Harry's cache will wane as the years go on and he is more and more distanced from the RF and might even have his title removed if Charles cuts it back to the bone, and the Warrior Games in the USA will hoover up all the potential sponsors that side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

The Queen survived almost 96 years without his protection. What on Earth makes him think, she needs it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

quote: and got the right people around her...

yes Harry, you are definetely not one of them she needs around her. what a pathetic twat with no end. I really wonder how she manages to talk to him or how she behaves being in a one to one with him. I can't even imagine how or about what they talk after all he's done and said publicly. But then she's probably advised on this also from her close circle of professionals. she's trained all her life to behave in a composed manner, even with her next to kin and she definetely had a lot of training all this decades with her own kids🤣 that nothing really surprises her anymore. I admire that woman and if I would have a few wishes it would be one of them to talk to her and get some wise words from her...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

was just asking myself this too. what a deluded whaffle? what kind of protection is he talking about? she's 96 years of age and there was never any incident she was attacked or something. it seems it's him projecting his own fears of security or trauma with his mother and now with his own family on his grandmother. god, I think this guy needs help asap😂

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well there was the time someone tried to shoot at her and the gun either wasn’t loaded or missed. I can’t remember which it was and she was on a horse and seemed to handle it well. There was the lad who broke into buck house and depending on who you believe there was a conversation and she was fine.

And also you can strip away the royal stuff and bring it back to ordinary family dynamics and the family member who suddenly decides to have an interest in an elderly relative when they don’t see them from one end of the year to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

'She's done her bit with my brother and now she's helping me'

Imagine being so insecure that when speaking about his mother, dead for a quarter of a century, helping her children find a family that even in that scenario, which he concocted himself, he still plays second fiddle to his brother who the spirit of Diana sorted out first.

Post edited by valoren on

As pp said, his baloney about protecting the queen is probably an attempt to sound relevant.

I wonder will it ever dawn on him that they lost a lot of 'value' once they announced they were stepping down and then proceeded to badmouth his family with some poisonous accusations. If they had stayed on good terms, they could still peddle the royal connection to some degree anyway.

I don't mean that they could make Netflix documentaries featuring them - that was never going to happen - but they could have retained some cachet at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Harry: 'Yeah, certainly. From my wife's point of view. For the two of us, this is a life she signed up for and we were committed to doing this together as a couple forever. Because of the circumstances, we've now moved that life of service to the States and we'll continue doing what we were doing before. So in that regard nothing's has changed for us. It is just a little bit more complicated to have to sort of restart.'

I copied this from the daily mail article, he talks about life of service again … he actually is bonkers. He sees themselves as great white knights educating us poor under emotionally developed cretins about how to feel things .. he brings naval gazing to a whole new low.

Prince Harry says he feels very 'welcome' in America

https://mol.im/a/10736027

Advertisement