Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

so the RF could have decided to not invite them and nothing would happen but yet they invited them.

It was a master move from RF. And a big mistake from H&M to take part in it.

They challenged monarchy, so they wanted to put themselves on an equal foot with it. And they should have kept it that way in their further dealings. The problem is that they miscalculated. They didn't manage to become relevant on their own, because they don't have much talent. Their own abilities wouldn't secure them the lifestyle and position they craved for. Royal connection was/is their main value.

Yet, if they tried to live by their own means, they would keep their dignity, even if their life would become more modest. And they would stay equal in their dignity earned in that way. And I think the world would respect and support that.

But that unfortunate interview exposed them as ugly human beings. They resorted to lies, libel and black mail in their fight. It might have been a grain of truth in it. Yet they didn't believe it would be enough to justify their revenge. So they trashed everything. Even their wedding because their "real one" was 3 days before. They laughed in everyone's face. And I simply don't like to be treated that way. After watching it I have no choice but to keep a side, which is kinder to me.

Yet I have a soft spot for underdogs. In March 2020 the Queen with her dying husband was the one, while H&M with all their A-lister friends and splashing money on fancy mansion and making multimillion deals were in a completely different position.

Now attending this jubilee they put themselves in a much lower place and with all that booing, which even cathedral bells weren't able to silence I am starting to feel sorry for them.

I think they realised, what they did to themselves with their visit, so they jetted off before the end and published picture of their daughter to keep their fight going. But there will be no winners here. Both sides will lose.

I wonder what will happen next? These four presented themselves great together. I somehow don't see enough strength of Charles and Camila on their own to save monarchy. Will it end up as diarchy?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yeah such a master move alright given they got what they wanted, attend the jubbly, see the queen with the children and be in the back ground.

they wanted to step back from royal duties and that is what they did, and charles plans to really slim down the lot once he becomes king meaning there wouldn't be any duties for H&M to perform anyway even had they stayed so this is good practice for them.

the world doesn't give a crap about the 2 of them no matter what, the opera interview has long been forgotten by most people, only a small few people are still discussing them while a few in the uk who read particular publications and who are outraged over everything are getting outraged over them still because they are being told to. but the rest of the world has long moved on.

no matter what they did, once they decided to leave there were going to be issues, from the cult fans to the tabloids there was going to be serious outrage and throwing the toys out of the pram over them, that was a given seeing as the tabloids new money making machine was over.

there was more truth to what they said then not, the wedding for example is very easy to explain, it was likely a blessing or a practice session and it meant more to them and felt more like a wedding then the real thing, sure they said what they did in the interview for the benefit of the audience (it was aimed at the american audience ultimately) but it was blatently obvious what they were saying and what they meant.

they did nothing to themselves, they got to attend the jubbly, they were in the back ground like they wanted and as i said it's practice for when charles slims the lot down anyway, a few cultists booing them is unfortunate but lets face it that was always going to happen and they are still happy having not to put up with them apart from the odd occasion.

whatever money or mantions or whatever they have or don't have (who really cares) it is still a much better outcome for them then staying as part of the institution and putting up with the crap from the tabloid trash factories.

Post edited by end of the road on

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I was actually always wondering about it. I never could find the full interview anywhere. Why is that? Does this Oprah have the legal rights on it?

I believe that Oprah does own the rights. She realised that the interview didn’t harm just Harry and Megan, but Oprahs reputation also, especially when the lies were exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

hmm, still weird fmpov. She's so experienced, she must have anticipated what havoc this interview will cause. And I also believe there were no surprises revealed for Oprah, it was all meticiously agreed upon beforehand with H&M, Oprah and her team, what will be said (and what not..). So I more believe it's more do to with legal aspects or something. Maybe to prevent the RF to sue big time if it's open on the internet they could. don't know...whatever...nobody probably exactly knows other than these people directly involved..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

I wouldn't read anything into that. I don't watch Oprah but in the past 10 years she has done two major interviews with worldwide attention that I can remember.

One was Lance Armstrong in 2013 the other Harry and Meghan. You cant find either of these online to watch apart from YouTube clips.

By all accounts Oprah did an excellent job targeting the salient facts in the LA interview and pinned him down on the details. There was a fear beforehand that he would use this 'soft interviewer' to whitewash his cheating. She showed she had done her homework and she can be proud of that interview. So why not make that one available on streaming? Maybe that's just how she rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I think that CBS bosses hid it. For any thinking person any case about libel would be won without any other proof needed, only taking contradicting quotes from it. They so tripped themselves in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

I think Oprah was supportive of giving them the platform to speak out, to speak their truth but she, and her fellow power broker peers, although initially tentatively supportive as there was racism alleged and were cautious given who and what was being accused.

See Michelle Obamas "I just hope there is forgiveness" non-commital type response.

Then they, and anyone with a modicum of common sense, all quickly sussed subsequently that Meghan was doing a Jussie Mollett on them and us all and they've floundered ever since being unable to manifest themselves via such power brokers e.g. they don't get invited to big time events (Oscars, Met Gala etc) stateside. Reputation is everything in such circles and Oprahs took a dent through it and so she subsequently buried it. The streaming deals were also all done before that ridiculous career crashing interview as well i.e. while they still enjoyed popular appeal and potential.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

And got a video out of it too! Netflix must be raging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

Interesting a US publication calling her on her BS.

The article is free to read if you register.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Vanity Fair said, “She was spotted placing a bouquet of white flowers near a makeshift memorial,” not bothering to rewrite the press copy. Was spotted? In real time during the outing, aggressive publicists at Archewell were shopping and circulating copy and photos to media, getting instant pickup by Yahoo News, People, Elle, and other outlets worldwide....

....Uninvited, Meghan Markle had hopped on a private plane in Santa Barbara “as a mother.” Flying with staff, bodyguard and camera crew to a private airfield near Uvalde, she was whisked into a black van, amply photographed and home before dark, job done, it’s a wrap.

------

That's just a snippet from that article. Horrific really. I think that, if this is truly the case, then she's gone too far.

It's one thing to be hungry for publicity and to monetise your image/fame whatever way you want. No problem with that. But it's quite another thing to capitalise on the mass murder of children to promote your manufactured persona of Diana 2.0. Like, seriously, how does that thought process work? Sitting in front of the news and instead of being heartbroken for the families of the victims of this slaying and hugging your own children extra tight that day counting your blessings, you think, hey - this is a great opportunity for me to look good.

How do you get to be that mercenary?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ya truly stupid move. Even her most ardent followers can't fail to recognise that this was very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Harry now wants to visit the Ukraine frontline as a private citizen for netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

It seemed fairly obvious from the photographs that I saw, that she was there with her own camera crew. She was chatting away with them and seemed to be looking for the best angle shots. Hell, she even got there before Biden. Issuing a statement that she was there as a private citizen was bizarre, of course she's a private citizen, she's nobody over there.

I really do think that she has delusions of a career in politics. It's hard to fathom how a guy who grew up surrounded by advisors and a woman who keeps hiring PR people just keep on getting it so wrong. They're tone deaf and out of touch with reality. The sooner they get the divorce out of the way and she's back on the talk show circuit blaming the divorce on him allegedly being violent or crazy or whatever the better. He's served his purpose for her, she's got a couple of kids to latch on to the monarchy, she's got her title and she's probably got a lot of dirt.

The reception they got from the public and the almost zero coverage they got from the Palace and his family left no doubt that they're gone and nobody cares. They got no content for Netflix and they're only worth what they can deliver. All he can do now his hold out for granny to die and then release his pity party biography probably slagging off everyone in the family. The Queen with Prince Charles, Camilla, William and Kate with their children left no doubt about the future of the monarchy. The people on the balcony were the future, the rest are bit players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's hard to fathom how a guy who grew up surrounded by advisors and a woman who keeps hiring PR people just keep on getting it so wrong. They're tone deaf and out of touch with reality. 

I think its fairly obvious at this stage that they just won't listen to advice. They fire staff who try to tell them they need to change their approach or they end up quitting when they realise this. This explains the high staff turnover. Seems like they only want to be surrounded by yes people and truly think that everyone is wrong and they are right.

they seem happy so there is unlikely to be a divorce for a long time yet thankfully, and even if there is one, he thankfully won't return to the UK and to royal duties as he doesn't want to be part of the RF anymore and in fairness long term even if he stayed he wasn't going to be anyway because as has been mentioned before charles has always planned to slim it down to the bare liniage when he became king.

the reception H&M got from a few daily mail readers hardly represents a reception from the public as a whole, given as you mention nobody cares which is what they actually want hence why they left in the first place.

actually there is likely going to be doubt about the future of the monarchy as realistically the queen is what is keeping up the current support, william and kate aren't popular dispite all attempts by the hangers on and royal cultists to try and pretend they are and charles is liked but he hasn't got what the queen has.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I admire your dedication. I'm not sure if you believe the stuff that you say about them, I don't think anyone else does, or whether it's just your hatred of the royal family that keeps you defending them. Either way, it doesn't really matter. When it all goes tits up I'm sure you'll be here with the same old same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

And what's your take on Meghan's trip to Uvalde so soon after the terrible shootings EOTR.

• Advertisement

no worse then kate attending the likes of the sarah everard vijil or i think she attended the recent grenfell one as well.

it would be better if they both stayed away but if 1 can attend 1 vijil so can the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Hardly comparable. One is the future Queen and is representing the RF and attending in that capacity. Particularly in the case of Grenfell, it is only right and proper that a senior royal show up and express condolences and sympathy. The other is, what now exactly?

When she attended the Sarah Everard vigil, she was photographed on someone's phone and they attended the 5th anniversary of the Grenfall fire. Mm went to the massacre vigil even before Biden and was possibly filmed by Netflix.

She attended the Sarah Everard vigil with just one discreet security officer, bringing a simple bunch of flowers from her own garden. She was photographed on the mobile phone of a member of the public. She paid her respects for a few minutes and left. No fuss. No entourage.

She attended the anniversary of the Grenfall fire in her official capacity as a senior member of the Royal Family alongside her husband.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's also worth pointing out that the location Sarah was abducted from was very local to Kate's home. So when it's local to you, it hits home as it's likely you or friends often walk that route.

As it was said, DoC didn't bring a camera crew, her own press, or indeed, have her PR team aggressively market it to high end publications. If she did, I'd be the first in line to call her all sorts for the crassness of it. And she didn't go to the site of the murder. She went to a vigil in a public park for a murdered woman. And turning up to a memorial service 5 years after the tragedy (Grenfell) is also a very different gesture to turning up to a crime scene.

Anyone turning famous up at that school shooting would get a serious side eye from me. Matthew McConaghty gets a pass because he was born there. He's one of their own. But he's the only one for that reason. Even the politicians who hand-wring over Ulvade and offer their condolences then support gun laws in my opinion can get fcuked.

It's also worth pointing out that the royal family have traditionally visited sites of tragedies - the Queen visited the site of the Aberfan landslide a week after it happened to pay her respects to the families in 1966 so it's hardly a new PR thing. And it's a handy diplomatic ploy for the government to send a royal particularly if the government may have any culpability in the tragedy. 'Someone' shows up as a state representative but it's someone neutral so the general public have nobody to verbally abuse about it.

Masterful. That's called their bluff.

If Meghan and Harry are confident that they didn't mistreat staff, they would of course be insisting that this be made public to clear their good names. But if they don't, they pretty much confirm that they do have something to hide. And we can all draw our own conclusions, rightly or wrongly from that.

Also worth pointing out that Grenfell tower is in Kensington, near where they live also.

Agreed. There has always been tacit confirmation that the bullying happened. Earlier on there was spokespeople PR contrasting between a clashing of work cultures i.e. Meghan was the demanding boss who clashed with work shy Brits who didn't measure up. In addition their lawyer Jenny Afia was on the BBC defining what bullying is. If you’re explaining then you’re losing. My feeling is that Meghan (Duchess Difficult) was a nightmare to deal with, that she created a toxic work environment, that there were no policies in place to deal with clear cut bullying conducted by a principal in the family as there would be no expectation that they would ever behave in such a way, at least not on a serial basis (people quitting with regularity). In the end, Megxit was akin to them both in the drawn out process of getting sacked after the serial bullying continued. Their request for half in/half out was them trying to compromise in a way that would dilute the impact they were having i.e. let us go away on paid and expensed sabbatical and when it all blows over then we can perhaps come back intermittently and we swear we will be on our very best behaviour? They got a year away, were pretty much quiet during the height of Covid and when it was clear that they weren’t going to get to live the life of riley on Charles’ dime then they quit, went to Oprah and the rest is “shooting themselves in the foot” history.

Based on following this for years this is what I think happened. In October 2018 Knauf sends an email to Simon Case, Williams private secretary, about concerns of Meghan bullying two staff out of the job, was currently bullying another, who always needed to have someone in her sights, wonders what the play will be as there is no duty of care policy for "principals".

In November 2018, Harry and Meghan leave Notts Cottage and Kensington Palace and their offices are announced to be leaving KP and will merge with the Royal Household under the Queen in Buckingham Palace. I think William was done with them and they were effectively assigned to the Palace as a kind of final warning under the watch of the big boss. June 2019 and they split from the Royal Foundation officially. This is William officially and publicly confirming he was done with them.

November 2019 and it's the South Africa tour along with the public manipulating "not ok" cringe interview and a couple of lawsuits filed with the press by Harry. Future official engagements for the Sussexes are then put on hold i.e. they are not assigned to any future assignments beyond those already in place/planned. To me this was them getting informally suspended while the Palace tried to figure out what to do with them. They went to Canada but bluntly, they were put in the naughty corner to think about their conduct while the rest of them tried to figure out how "principals" get disciplined or indeed sacked. January 2020 they spring the Megxit manifesto in an attempt to manipulate the family and the public. This was either them knowing they were going to be demoted anyway or were getting the sack as working Royals. Ever since it's been a big bag fumble by them.

• Advertisement

not really, kate is, due to her capacity now out of touch with the people she is sympathising with, and she is not queen yet nor isn't going to be for a long time yet, assuming the monarchy even survives long enough.

she does not live the life these people live so ultimately will not represent many of them even in a royal capacity.

Advertisement