Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

that doesn't matter though, she attended knowing there was a likely hood of her being pictured.

it doesn't matter the reasons, it doesn't matter whether it was low key or not, she attended knowing that fact.

they would both have been better off staying away, but they didn't so fair is fair.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Bear in mind too that when they did their Oprah interview the whole BLM thing was at it's height so the alleged racism really played into that. Never mind that the pair of them couldn't get their stories straight on that one though.

I think that they only ended up in America because the Canadians were irate when they found out that they were paying for their security and there was a huge petition to stop that. They ended up in some celebrities empty house after that, think it was on the market at the time so great publicity for that guy. The cynic in me thinks that there was a deal done to bury the inquiry in exchange for something on dim and dimmers part.

Once the Queen dies the gloves are off and apparently William won't be following the don't complain and don't explain example of the Queen. Charles and William want Andrew out of the picture and off Windsor Castle estate and I'd say if Harry or herself kick off then they'll be stripped of their remaining titles, I'd say they'd be happy to strip them of those altogether. All in all, how many Americans even know who they are?

none of this is really the big thing you are trying to make it out to be, they had been planning to leave for a while from what we know but were working on the details over a time period.

william is not as influential as many, or maybe he even thinks, something tells me.

the reality is, the palace comes out of the bullying allegations a hell of a lot worse then M&H, because they will either have allowed bullying to happen, or they will have allowed allegations to gain traction which are untrue.

look, i am sure some did find meghan a bit difficult to deal with, a modern royal who understands the RF needs to hugely modernise if it is to remain relevant, and therefore does things a modern way. vs traditional staff wanting to continue the long past their sell by date ways of doing things which are incompatible with meghan and harry and the RF + the modernisation agenda they wanted to bring about.

realistically the evidence for the bullying allegations isn't really there, and them not being vocal about the release of the report on the issue doesn't mean much really, as the chances are they know that no matter how much they would want it released it won't be, because as i said the palace will be painted in the worse light whatever the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Agreed. The initial move to Canada seemed like a knee jerk reaction, a hasty decision to leave quickly. In all, I don't think this was a case of two disgruntled full time Royals, with an otherwise healthy relationship with the Royal family, wilfully deciding to step back and come to an agreement about how this life situation could be formally arranged i.e. where they, a couple with a young child, would live, what protection they would get, how it would be funded, what their limited roles would be living outside of the UK, that it wasn't two sides seeking to come to a mutual and workable agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Wonder how she got to Uvalde, must have been on a tandem with her camera person as she is so upset my climate change.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I like this theory. Is it possible then that their abrupt trip to Canada was also an attempt at leverage that backfired?

That they didn't like being told off and discreetly suspended from duties so they feck off to Canada in an attempt to show the firm that how indispensable they are. However that move ultimately had the opposite effect in that it immediately resolved any ongoing bullying and that it was actually assisting the plans Charles has for slimming down the monarchy.

I don't see Charles or William stripping them of their titles. I think it's up to the government anyway to do that, not them. And no serving royal is going to open up that can of worms and plant the notion that politicians can take royal titles off anyone. Especially in the next decade or so. Charles is far less popular than the Queen. And even less so is his wife who many people will never see as anything other than some sort of Evil Queen ruining the life of the People's Princess. No, if they have any cop on they'll keep their mouths shut about removing titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It is her 'job' as a senior Royal to represent the Monarchy, and therefore, the State, when called to do so. Whether or not any of us think she's out of touch is besides the point. She is the wife of a future Monarch and mother to another and this makes her a very senior Royal.

From what others have posted here, she attended the Sarah Everard vigil in an entirely private and unofficial capacity and was there to pay her respects quietly and without publicity, which, to me, seems like someone who is very much in touch and genuinely moved to take action by simply being present, just like all the other women there.

Megan did not quietly and unobtrusively attend a vigil. She has NO official capacity to fulfil by attending the scene of a tragedy. She has no personal connection to the people or place where it occurred. She represents no-one. Wanting to pay respects and extend condolences and offering what support one can, I totally understand. Bringing a camera crew is blatant exploitation of an horrific event and is frankly disgusting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

it was actually assisting the plans Charles has for slimming down the monarchy.

😉

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

😂 Brilliant!

• Advertisement

the deal with their royal highnesses seems fine and is not under any threat from what i can gather.

these layofs are due to a downturn in subscriptions to the service i believe.

Er, Their Royal Highnesses aren’t. They lost the right to use HRH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Astonishing to see someone who finds the very concept of a monarchy so offensive use titles like that, nevermind the fact that Haz and Megain were stripped of them.

yeah and?

i don't care really, the fans of the RF can worry about proper titles and when they should and shouldn't be used.

as far as i am concerned calling the 2 of them HRH the odd time isn't a problem given it belon

The thing is that they've stepped down and are free to speak about whatever they want to talk about. They are free to use their titles doing so but not the HRH style as they'd be clamped down on immediately if they did. The use of mongrammed letter heading and the use of the Duchess title can give Americans, who for the most part could understandably care less about the BRF, the impression that Meghan is speaking out as a royal which is no longer the case. The monogram and the Duchess title use is very deliberate. Ideally she wouldn't be doing this anyway because of what they've said about it all i.e. titles aren't important, they're racist etc. but I guess when the royals been greyrocking them for the bones of two and a half years then taunting for some crumb of attention as you circle the drain is why there is also that incessant use of the titles in my opinion i.e. come after me and then you'll fall into the trap of "see, they're still trying to silence me, I will not be silenced". I think the senior royals know what she is at and where the line is for them to make a formal statement to define them both as ex-Royals who explicitly no longer represent them.

An analogy would be the social media policies we sign at work which allude to our use of such platforms must not be linked to our employer i.e. you're free to say what you want but no one reading must think that your opinions are representative of the employer. The same idea would apply to ex-working royals weighing in on charged and sensitive topics which working royals avoid for a reason. Using The Duchess of Sussex can make indifferent people think they speak for the Royals and thats no longer the case obviously. Given that the US is not part of the commonwealth then I guess the play as such is to say nothing and allow the drain circiling to continue. If they were living in, for example, Canada opining on Canadian issues then I'm sure cease and desist contact would be conducted. Beyond threads like this, other corners of the internet and social media (including those petty Daily Mail "articles") no one actually cares about these two. They are absolutely irrelevant beyond all that.

Post edited by valoren on

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

I think the knee jerk trip to Canada over Christmas was them getting out of the UK so they wouldn't have to deal with the family over Christmas, and re-group after negotiations had fallen apart. Somewhere that was "her turf". They had been negotiating their half-in/half-out strategy for months (they broke away from the Cambridge's offices and charity in June and had already set up Travlyst and SussexRoyal) and they realised they would not be able to bend "the institution" to their will and so they physically removed themselves to plan and regroup. They post on SussexRoyal to get their narrative out first (which mentions keeping their protection, doing some duties on behalf of the queen and becoming financially independent) and they get slapped down again. Daddy's final payment is due end of Q1 and royal protection officers are being recalled.

Harry feels that royal priviledges are his birthright, same as Andrew. Neither of them understand that there is a quid pro quo, and keeping the British public onside is a big part of that. Had stayed In, they could have had things pretty much they way they wanted, quietly taking commercial roles inline with other family members, making money on the side the way royals do, in exchange for turning up at a few boring events and bowing to the Cambridges now and again.

But that was never going to be a runner for Meghan, she wants to persue her own agenda, her way. She is not interested in cutting a ribbon at a town hall in Milton Keynes on a wet Tuesday because she doesnt value the loyaly of the UK public, she has no history with the UK so it doesnt mean anything. Her sights are set on adulation from the US 'movers and shakers'. Her first problem is that she needs the royal family name to get anyone to pay attention to her because her other problem is that she doesnt really have any talent.

On another note, the daily mail is reporting Prince Charles allegedly accepted close to 1M in cash in a bag from a middle eastern Sheik of dubious character, the one Harry has said he distanced himself from. It was deposited to his foundation, between 2011 and 2015. Its recent, not during a time when international banking is not what it is today, and whats wrong with a cheque? If this is true, it is a massive mis calculation by Charles' staff. Are the RF so hard up to get donations that they would risk the optics of this coming out, both in the manner of the donation and the source? Its unfortunate but if Charles is deemed guilty of this then his moral compass is deemed to be off, and its easier for people to believe Harrys accusations of whatever is coming in the book. The RF should skip Charles and head straight to William, but that will never happen.

I think they had notions of a glittering life in Hollywood. She thought she'd be a somebody, he thought he'd finally be out of his brother's shadow and then COVID happened, which for them, was just as well as she's a nobody and he's a has been. Looking at the pair of them at his polo events is like a bad parody of Pretty Woman, except she's no Julia Roberts and he's no Richard Gere. They're a pair of narcissists and no marriage can sustain 2 giant egos.

The Oprah interview was a massive own goal. Nobody trusts them now. How could you trust someone who makes a career out of badmouthing their family for money? I remember his outrage during that interview at having to live on the 14 million pounds that his mother left him. Outraged that the British taxpayer wasn't footing the bill for his and his family's private security. He is a guy who has spent his life having people do things for him.

Even that recent article where he talked about struggling to work from home with the 2 kids there. Duh, the guy has a nanny for the kids and live in staff. What the hell? It's not like either of them is struggling to change nappies and feed the kids while working to a deadline at home. The more they talk the deeper the hole they dig themselves into.

ultimately they aren't a pair of narcissists as the narcissist claimsm have been destroyed and they don't fit the correct definition.

as for nobody trusting them, that is not true, the RF and much of the british public don't but realistically that's now irrelevant to them.

the fact is, there is a lot more truth to what they say about the RF then not.

of course it won't happen because being king is charles's birth right and unless he abdocates, skipping to william who has nothing about him to sustain the monarchy would be a bad move on their part, obviously if charles did abdocated then so be it but it's unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

why is it only possible to quote a whole post and not parts of it like it was before..?? annoying. anyway..

just regarding the remark 'she has no talent as an actress', I would put that up for debate. Not because I think she definetely has, but because I think we all know at this stage it's not the biggest talent which makes one a Hollywood starlet but how you bow down and let yourself be manipulated and abused by the more or less Harvey Weinstein types in HW. She doesn't need or want that because she's a grade A manipulator herself. She was able to secure herself one of the most wanted man for many women, she doesn't need the Hollywood creeps. Again, not defending her overall behaviour, but if you could see one positive and strong attitude in her it's not backing down to the mens' world.

It's hilarious reading your posts. You are so desperate to defend these two parasites. Again, as I've said before, I can't tell if it's your pathological hatred of the Royal family that's driving you or your honest belief in these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

I get your point and I totally have respect for anyone who didnt play the game with the Harvey W's of this world at a cost to their career. I wasnt actually talking about her talent as an actress before she met Harry, I meant the past 2 years have shown us that she doesnt have any real talent in the sphere that she is trying to move in now, post marraige, such as producing interesting content for either spotify or netflix, or running archwell as a serious charity, or writing children's books or any of the other dozens of things they both have tried. They are not wowing anyone with their attempts at any of it, its all so very Meh..and they jump from one thing to the next with no staying power. They are not even getting invited to the big ticket events in the US. And so she has to rely on her married title in order to do even the little thst she has done to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

yes, I kind of apologize, I read your post again after I posted mine and noticed myself you didn't actually mentioned specificially her lacking talent as an actress but just in general missing talent. I think it was brought up here many times before that she was an actress with no talent and in relation to that you writing 'having no talent' I assumed you meant her talent in acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

So Harry has tension with the Queen‘s aides, his brother, his father, his step mother. They're all wrong but he is right. Common denominator springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Old phrase comes to mind. "If you only meet A**holes." 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

realistically there is no common donominator here given the specifics involved in the various issues

william i suspect is not this cute cuddly individual that the far right press want to paint him as, the same press who hated him when they thought harry was the next big thing and their big money maker.

the queens' aids will no doubt be the issue in relation to that tension between harry and them.

50 50 between charles and harry, they just need to talk and understand where each is coming from, charles did try his best but he brought his children up the way he was brought up which was not an ideal upbringing dispite no doubt the queen and philip doing their best within the institution and all that required.

• Advertisement

Am I reading it right? That Harry offered to pay for his security but only told the palace who didn't tell the Home Office about this offer? An offer they say would have been rejected anyway on principle had they been informed?

The Big I Am posturing is tedious. Someone needs to spell it out for him that he is a nobody in the scheme of things and how he's the only rank and filer moaning about his security woes.

Advertisement