Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

I can see both sides but don't think this interview will solve their problems/issues, only create more.

After watching it, I have doubts about:
    - Meghan didn't know much about the royal family. I could understand that if she was an American who had never been in the UK but we've all seen photos of her (in her teens) and a friend sitting on a fence near Buckingham Palace. Also that she didn't know much about Harry and never looked him up online, yeah right.
    - Meghan didn't know how to curtsy; so an educated actress didn't know how to curtsy ??? I'm sure she had an idea but the way she explained how Fergie had to show her was a bit far-fetched.
    - Meghan's mother didn't know Diana gave an interview until a couple of months ago?
    - If Meghan needed help with her mental health, you mean to tell me that NO ONE in the firm was able to get a private, royal doctor in to see her? I can see that they wouldn't drop her in town to a group meeting but we're to believe that no private doctor was summonsed? Why didn't Harry call one himself?
    - When Meghan became part of the firm she's said no one advised her of anything. Again really hard to believe. She had a team of people working in her royal office and not one of them was an advisor? Were they all going into this blindly? Really can't believe this.

The only things I do think are possibly true are:
    - that Meghan didn't realise the extent of what she was giving up and the rules she had to live by going forward as part of the royal family, and she didn't like/accept it. It probably became too much and very overbearing for her. This was especially obvious when she said she wanted to have lunch with friends and that she hadn't been out for weeks/months.
    - that someone may have said something about the skin colour of the baby; don't we all have that awkward old aunt or cringe-worthy relation who has no filter and blurts out things; yes, it's not PC but it does happen. Given all that's happened in the US over the last year and BLM, I think this was especially hurtful and a dig at the royal family again.
    - I do think that Harry should not have had security removed; he was born into the royal family and with everything that is going on, I do feel that a decision to remove security from them in Canada was wrong.

I also think it's ridiculous that they had to do part of the interview with their chickens but I think that's Meghan trying to show them as real/down to earth people yet she's signing deals for $100mm with Netflix or whoever. I don't think it's a 50/50 relationship (even though they probably think it is themselves); she's wearing the trousers and making the decisions. Hope she doesn't have any plans to visit the in-laws anytime soon. I feel bad for Archie as he'll miss out on growing up with his cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

I cannot look inside somebody’s head. If they say something, I take it at face value.

I simply want the evidence behind the accusations leveraged at other people.

Expressing oneself and one’s own feelings is one thing. Challenging the good-standing of another person publicly is something entirely different.

The claims that need to be addressed and assessed are:
    1. A racist comment made by a member of the royal family
    2. Did the Archbishop act behind the back of the head of the Church of England
    3. Was their child deprived of birthrights because of racist-attitudes
    4. Did Charles cut off his son
    5. Did Thomas Markel initiate the bad blood

The rest of the interview is not for me to comment on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

BettyS wrote: »
    Charles came out today and said that it was simply untrue that he cut them off financially? He was deeply hurt by the allegations

It is all well making claims. But now the evidence is key

I don't think Charles said anything. Rightfully so, best to say nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

faceman wrote: »
    I know someone who is dead 15 years because they were suicidal and they were told to snap out of it and stop putting it on. Those were words used by people who knew her. Whats your excuse?

I never told anybody to snap out of it

I don’t buy the sincerity of her suicidal claim last night..

Big deal..

Not everyone who throws a serious claim like that around in the manner and forums she did means it’s genuine...

Is it now such a crime to not buy everything t everyone says about their mental health? We have to believe it without question?

It’s likely the very reason she said it. Knew well that it’s a no go area, as well as guaranteed to get sympathy and column inches..

There was no subtlety about her mental health angle last night..

She bypassed sadness, the blues, melancholy. Straight to suicide....

To me this was where I didn’t buy it..

She went straight for the big sensational angle..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I cannot look inside somebody’s head. If they say something, I take it at face value.

I simply want the evidence behind the accusations leveraged at other people.

Expressing oneself and one’s own feelings is one thing. Challenging the good-standing of another person publicly is something entirely different.

The claims that need to be addressed and assessed are:
    1. A racist comment made by a member of the royal family
    2. Did the Archbishop act behind the back of the head of the Church of England
    3. Was their child deprived of birthrights because of racist-attitudes
    4. Did Charles cut off his son
    5. Did Thomas Markel initiate the bad blood

The rest of the interview is not for me to comment on

Their child is not entitled to a title because he is not a grand child of a monarch. This is a law and nothing to do with his 1/8th African American heritage.

This needs to be stopped in its tracks. Meghan cannot be allowed to conjur up these lies. You can’t just take her at face value and ignore what others have to say.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I don't think Charles said anything. Rightfully so, best to say nothing

Apparently it was a senior aide who gave the account

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Their child is not entitled toa title because he is not a grand child of a monarch. This is a law and nothing to do with his 1/8th African American heritage.

This needs to be stopped in its tracks. Meghan cannot be allowed to conjur up these lies.

People will always remember the initial story, even if the evidence points to the contrary after the initial story

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Of course its a possibility. No one knows what goes on inside another's head. You can't proclaim such things as fact as Piers Morgan did yesterday.

I'm not saying it's a fact but rather a possibility that can't be discounted i.e. we're possibly being duped by someone who knows what angle to push to elicit unquestionable sympathy. Emotional manipulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

I forgot to add that 2 billion people watched their wedding.

One of the reasons they stepped back from royal duties is because they wanted their privacy, yet they do a sensational interview by Oprah that is hyped in every country around the world. How many watched it, bet more than 2 billion. Yep, they want their privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I know someone who is dead 15 years because they were suicidal and they were told to snap out of it and stop putting it on. Those were words used by people who knew her. Whats your excuse?

When it comes to things like mental health and talking suicide/suicidal ideation etc... you have to take it at face value, despite what you may think of the person saying it.

There is obviously an argument for questioning Meghan and Harrys sincerity, but nobody knows there motives we can only speculate, nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors, but things like talking suicide have to be taken seriously and as sincere.

fobbing people off as attention seeking, making it up or not being sincere about it is very dangerous territory.

And for the record, if anyone close to me told me that they were suicidal, snap out of it would be the last thing I’d say!

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Rich half-wit meets an attractive female who doesn't want to work anymore.

It might sound like the typical Irish farmer, but it's a prince in this case.

When it comes to things like mental health and talking suicide/suicidal ideation etc... you have to take it at face value, despite what you may think of the person saying it.

There is obviously an argument for questioning Meghan and Harrys sincerity, but nobody knows there motives we can only speculate, nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors, but things like talking suicide have to be taken seriously and as sincere.

fobbing people off as attention seeking, making it up or not being sincere about it is very dangerous territory.

And the same way a supposed advocate for mental health and a supposed beacon of hope and influence throwing around a suicidal claim in a chat show designed to diss her in laws could also be seen as very dangerous territory..

Reckless!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Rich half-wit meets an attractive female who doesn't want to work anymore.

It might sound like the typical Irish farmer, but it's a prince in this case.

That's grossly unfair on the typical Irish farmer. Firstly the typical Irish farmer isn't rich, secondly where is he likely to meet an attractive female especially when he's not rich.

That's grossly unfair on the typical Irish farmer. Firstly the typical Irish farmer isn't rich, secondly where is he likely to meet an attractive female especially when he's not rich.

Plenty of Fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I remember Harry said this during a interview last year
    "If anybody else knew what I knew"
    Now from the interview he made with Oprah all the things he spoke about must be what he meant.
    https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1215692030736646144?s=20

Is it fair of the US to condemn the UK as a completely racist nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Plenty of Fish?

No beef farmer not a fish farmer,

• Advertisement

Fair?

This is world we live in today

Full to the brim with assholes!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

Got to say the Queen's response was perfection!

No beef farmer not a fish farmer,

Those comments make me smile. I am so glad that I use Boards and not Reddit!

Sorry, I wanted to put the grin emoji but clicked the wrong one! I don’t know how to change it

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ande1975 wrote: »
    Got to say the Queen's response was perfection!

It was easy for her. It's clear that there is a mutual love and admiration for her.

It's William, Kate and Charles where the issues are, and they answer to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don’t know if fair is the word I’d use but I’ve found it strange that the US media seem to be calling out the UK for the issues with racism when let’s be honest it’s been clearly shown their own country isn’t doing a good job in addressing their own issues. Glass houses come to mind.

Anyway it’s been a bizarre couple of days in the US and UK media worlds and I’ve no doubt this will all die down but if there’s an occasion for Harry and Meghan to have to return to the UK in the short to medium term, the interactions will be as awkward as a first year disco.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,980 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I think ITV's ratings department may disagree.
    The other presenters do not appeal at all to a large-ish audience but hey, maybe after the umpteenth redeisgn/reshuffle etc, GMB will be lucky! Politicians will be delira and excira if all they've got to face is Susannah, Ben or Alex. LOL

And no, I'm not a fan

I think their ratings department can look to covid lockdowns as a reason for such high ratings.

As for RTE"s ratings for this god awful S****, there's no excuse, lockdown or not, it's just shocking 700k Irish people actually lost 2 hours of their lives, never to be regained watching this vomit enducing and cynical Tripe.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I thought the Royal Correspondence reply was very good. It just wouldn't do to go without alluding to the fact Meghan deliberately let it hang over who made that now infamous remark without giving any context especially. It most certainly was not an inadvertent revelation and they clearly knew in advance exactly what they were going to say and in what level of detail.

I can't help but wonder, if when some time ago they revealed they were giving up Royal duties ,if they were given all they demanded, which they weren't, would they have done this interview at all. It all just looks so spiteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I think their ratings department can look to covid lockdowns as a reason for such high ratings.

As for RTE"s ratings for this god awful S****, there's no excuse, lockdown or not, it's just shocking 700k Irish people actually lost 2 hours of their lives, never to be regained watching this vomit enducing and cynical Tripe.

And I wasn’t one of them. I was getting messages asking me was I/ did I watch it and I said no I hadn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

Faugheen wrote: »
    It was easy for her. It's clear that there is a mutual love and admiration for her.

It's William, Kate and Charles where the issues are, and they answer to her.

Normally a statement comes from BP but its rare things come directly from the Queen. This is just the beginning. Its a very good and deliberate strategy.

Just to add its so true that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

It feels to me like its taken the oxygen out of the drama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,980 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And I wasn’t one of them. I was getting messages asking me was I/ did I watch it and I said no I hadn’t.

There's hope yet :)

Wasn't suggesting you watched it, just astonishing how many in Ireland watched it, this I believe the most disturbing thing to come out if this horrid nonsense

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement