Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Dempo1 wrote: »
    There's hope yet :)

Wasn't suggesting you watched it, just astonishing how many in Ireland watched it, this I believe the most disturbing thing to come out if this horrid nonsense

I know you weren’t but was that the number who watched it ? Lucky the RTÉ player doesn’t work or there’d have been more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

BettyS wrote: »
    Is it fair of the US to condemn the UK as a completely racist nation?

No, it’s wrong. And highly hypocritical.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I don’t know if fair is the word I’d use but I’ve found it strange that the US media seem to be calling out the UK for the issues with racism when let’s be honest it’s been clearly shown their own country isn’t doing a good job in addressing their own issues. Glass houses come to mind.

Anyway it’s been a bizarre couple of days in the US and UK media worlds and I’ve no doubt this will all die down but if there’s an occasion for Harry and Meghan to have to return to the UK in the short to medium term, the interactions will be as awkward as a first year disco.

She will never set foot in this country again.

Ande1975 wrote: »
    Normally a statement comes from BP but its rare things come directly from the Queen. This is just the beginning. Its a very good and deliberate strategy.

Just to add its so true that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

It feels to me like its taken the oxygen out of the drama.

Maybe here but I could see the Americans interpreting it as “they’re not denying it, so it must be true!”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Plenty of Fish?

Not if she washes properly!

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    There's hope yet :)

Wasn't suggesting you watched it, just astonishing how many in Ireland watched it, this I believe the most disturbing thing to come out if this horrid nonsense

I wonder if Covid had a part to play in the amount of us who watched it. I would have anyway because I love the whole carryon but it certainly seems to have plenty gripped. It's an ideal escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I just watched a CNN clip from a couple of hours and they read the statement and all that but then the issue of Archie having a title taken away from him. Again how can something be taken away that isn’t there to be given ? I can’t understand how the narrative that something was taken away from him is still being used when it’s the easiest part of the thing to clarity. As far as I know none of the other great grandchildren of the queen bar Williams children who are in the direct line of succession have a tile of Prince and princess.

Edit: and because I’m weird I went and found the relevant words that clear this up.
    The Letters Patent, dated November 30, 1917, stated that “the children of any Sovereign of these Realms and the children of the sons of any such Sovereign (as per the Letters Patent of 1864) and the eldest living son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales (a modification of the Letters Patent of 1898) shall have and at all times hold and enjoy the style, title or attribute of Royal Highness with their titular dignity of Prince or Princess prefixed to their respective Christian names or with their other titles of honour”.

And then in 2012 the current queen made the following amendment
    On December 31, 2012 Queen Elizabeth II made an amendment to the 1917 Letters Patent by issuing a Letters Patent which gave the title and style His/Her Royal Highness and Prince/Princess of the United Kingdom to all the children of the Prince of Wales’s eldest son.

That’s why it’s the way it is and when Charles becomes king then because Archie will a grandchild of the sovereign as it’s put then yes he’ll be entitled to a title as it stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Lets face it - when did RTE’s ‘facts’ and ‘statistics’ ever mean much?

Does anyone else remember the ariel drone photos of the water protest marches stretching twenty deep from liberty hall down o’connell st that were pre-photo originally fobbed off as a few thousand protesters?

RTE and actual facts have been long proven not to go hand in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I wonder if Covid had a part to play in the amount of us who watched it. I would have anyway because I love the whole carryon but it certainly seems to have plenty gripped. It's an ideal escape.

Maybe on the night it was broadcast itself, but these days of course it can be watched any time.

I remember the Diana interview as a teen, this was bigger than. The Diana thing was trivial in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

They seem to suggest that the racist comment was from Charles or William?

It is so hard to judge it without the correct context

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I just watched a CNN clip from a couple of hours and they read the statement and all that but then the issue of Archie having a title taken away from him. Again how can something be taken away that isn’t there to be given ? I can’t understand how the narrative that something was taken away from him is still being used when it’s the easiest part of the thing to clarity. As far as I know none of the other great grandchildren of the queen bar Williams children who are in the direct line of succession have a tile of Prince and princess.

The American media doesn’t seem to do facts. They seem to be obsessed with pushing out an anti British rhetoric come hell or high water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ande1975 wrote: »
    Got to say the Queen's response was perfection!

There are no flies on her. ;)

There are no flies on her. ;)

But surely there will be more of a response to come? Ie they will refute the claims? Or would that be a tit for tat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭AllForIt

They seem to suggest that the racist comment was from Charles or William?

It is so hard to judge it without the correct context

Well yes. And if it was then that's catastrophic for the Royal Family.

If it was Charles then he may have to give up being King and pass it onto William.

So, is that what Meghan and Harry want? They cannot not have considered the consequences of their revelations.

I don't get how they can expect to have a working relationship as a couple with the RF ever again.

I do think this now this is going to get worse before it gets better. More drama to come for sure.

But surely there will be more of a response to come? Ie they will refute the claims? Or would that be a tit for tat?

If they respond it gives Meghan an excuse for another interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭anewme

walshb wrote: »
    He’s dead right!!!

A complete nonsense that. Shameless mental health card thrown in, that goes completely unchallenged!

A disservice to people with actual mental health difficulties!

He was not dead right apparently.

He accused someone speaking about mental health a liar.

He had a personal vendetta against someone for his own personal reasons.

He was called out on it today and ran, like the coward he was.

Funny when you look back 24 hours later.?

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    If they respond it gives Meghan an excuse for another interview.

Maybe that could take a break from Oprah and go for Piers for the next interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Flicking through the channels earlier and there was an Australian reporter on the BBC. He said after the Queen dies there will be a conversation about leaving the commonwealth in Australia. He described Australians as more Elizabeathan than Royalists and hinted that would be the end of them in the commonwealth.

He said the allegation of being concerned about how dark Archie will be has gone down terribly in the non white Commonwealth nations. What's the chances there's a mass exodus over this.

walshb wrote: »
    Absolutely!!

That was actually the most insincere and fake of it all

But seems people fell from it

She got maximum exposure for that one..

You are calling someone you don't know a liar.

What gives you the right to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I doubt we’ll hear much more because then a back and forth will ensue.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    You are calling someone you don't know a liar.

What gives you the right to do that?

Just to play Devil’s advocate, what gives Meghan and Harry the right to tear somebody’s reputation apart in public, and not allow them to defend themselves?

With respect to the allegations against other people (I could never possibly adjudicate on somebody’s inner-world, I will take those claims at face value), several of them have been refuted. Who do we believe in this case? And why did you reach that conclusion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Flicking through the channels earlier and there was an Australian reporter on the BBC. He said after the Queen dies there will be a conversation about leaving the commonwealth in Australia. He described Australians as more Elizabeathan than Royalists and hinted that would be the end of them in the commonwealth.

He said the allegation of being concerned about how dark Archie will be has gone down terribly in the non white Commonwealth nations. What's the chances there's a mass exodus over this.

To think peole are shocked that a bunch of inbred royals are a bit racists is fcuking hilarious. These people marry their cousins to avoid diluting their bloodlines. They're a bunch of nazis and always have been.

Not to border into conspiracies, but what was the reasoning behind the obsession with keeping the bloodline pure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,044 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Blizzard wrote: »
    I forgot to add that 2 billion people watched their wedding.

One of the reasons they stepped back from royal duties is because they wanted their privacy, yet they do a sensational interview by Oprah that is hyped in every country around the world. How many watched it, bet more than 2 billion. Yep, they want their privacy.

They didnt want their privacy.
    They wanted fame and they wanted to use their fame to push their Archewell foundation and its leftish woke agenda.
    They are involved with alot of nefarious lobby groups.
    Meghan and Harry wanted to use the monarchy to push their woke agenda, and obviously they were told to tow the line and that didnt go down well.

Playing the race card and playing the mental health card is quite deplorable, nobody should fall for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Just to play Devil’s advocate, what gives Meghan and Harry the right to tear somebody’s reputation apart in public, and not allow them to defend themselves?
    Yes,c orrect.
    The 'racism' claim was a dirty, dirty thing to do.
    Step up or shut up is what I say.
    The useless interviewer failed to probe them on that just a gormless face on her
    Too delayed for the impact she wanted it to have, I think her terribly performed reaction is a meme now, not the way she hoped I guess :)
    The title thing as well. That doesn't bode well for a lot of people believing them.
    I haven't seen a clip that shows Winfrey asking Meghan and Harry how did she get professional help or did she? I mean, Harry was in therapy for 9 years or so.

They are talking about personal experiences. They did not name names. You can believe them or not.

If someone steps up and they have mental health challenges, that is personal information and should be respected as that. It is not your place to refute it, as you simply dont know.

Calling that person a liar, as was done by Piers Morgan and this poster here is tantamount to bullying.

We saw what happened when someone stood up and faced Piers, he ran and had a tantrum. He knew he was out of order, but was not man enough to face up to it when served up to him, so he legged it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

They are talking about personal experiences. They did not name names. You can believe them or not.

If someone steps up and they have mental health challenges, that is personal information and should be respected as that. It is not your place to refute it, as you simply dont know.

Calling that person a liar, as was done by Piers Morgan and this poster here is tantamount to bullying.

So question them and it's bullying?

To think peole are shocked that a bunch of inbred royals are a bit racists is fcuking hilarious. These people marry their cousins to avoid diluting their bloodlines. They're a bunch of nazis and always have been.

You are making several unsubstantiated allegations in that post. (I feel the need to defend them, even as an anti-monarchist).

Specific to this forum, it has been alleged that somebody made a racist remark. We have no context. We cannot jump to the conclusion that the family is racist

We saw what happened when someone stood up and faced Piers, he ran and had a tantrum. He knew he was out of order, but was not man enough to face up to it when served up to him, so he legged it.

You quote me as having questioned the validity of their mental health claims. I would ask you to revert to my comments before making nasty insinuations about my posts. This is wholly untrue, and you must substantiate this claim before accusing me of this

You are making a derogatory claim about my character, in spite of the contrary evidence. Is that not a more textbook example of bullying your way to win the argument?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

A weird bunch alright. Harry's comment about them being scared of the media was interesting. That the R.F and the media have an agreement because they're scared of public opinion, the rf give them access. That honours list for knighthoods etc is another joke. Its just a ploy for all the celebrities, high fliers to suck up to the Royal family in hopes of making it further up the status food chain and thus the Royal family is respected by high society therefore cementing their future existence . Take David Beckham for example, absolute gimp for a knighthood so he sucks up relentlessly.

Advertisement