Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

In relation to her claims re Procter & Gamble:

From Tom Bower's book.

'She was equally furious that her childhood battle with Procter & Gamble was omitted. Kashner (interviewer) resisted revealing that Vanity Fair’s fact-checkers had adamantly decided that her story was possibly false. After consulting Procter & Gamble and advertising historians, the fact-checkers concluded there was no proof that the incident had ever happened.'

'Unknown to Kashner, Thomas Markle knew that Procter & Gamble had ignored Meghan’s letters. Her ‘campaign’ was fictitious, invented by an adoring father.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Did she ever claim that her letter solely caused them to change the advert or was so just blowing her trumpet that she was a kid writing complaint letters?

I can't remember.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

That picture of her in CUT isn't the best. She looks much prettier in other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

Their shelf life is coming to an end. The RF are playing a blinder letting everyone see and hear them as they are without retaliating or contradicting them. Recollections may vary said all that needs to be said. Their one trick pony message of victimhood has worn thin, even the US media is asking - is that it? is that all you got? The reality show with netflix will place them firmly in tabloid territory, like the Kardashians or Real Housewives. They will not get renewals from Spotify or netdlix or from the book publishers. In 2 years they will have exhausted all their material and will be back to square one.

They have more money that most people will ever have in their entire life. The queen will leave Harry millions and trust funds for the kids. They are absolutely rich beyond most peoples wildest dreams. I think it is enough for Harry to be a father and have invictus to work on. Meghan doesnt strike me as someone who will be content with that. She has no "thing" to keep her in the headlines or global cause for her to work away on other than appropriating other people's causes and trying to insert herself like at the Texas tragedy. Idle hands.....she will continue to stir the pot to keep herself in any sort of spotlight.

• Advertisement

And this was all predicted by this thread and most commentators -I’d say Netflix et Al knew this too- they went along for the ride in the hope they’d spill the royal beans - they were easy pickings and sitting ducks. What company, loaded with money as they were back then, would not dangle financial security in front of a significant royal at the time, in the hope they’d play ball.

Megan will become problematic for Harry and it’s started now- the me me me act has run its course- she was something like a 75 day working royal before she quit- there’s only so many stories you can dine out on with that level of experience.

Her copying of the Diana photo with the black polar neck was in incredible bad taste, especially as it was released on the 25th anniversary of Diana’s death and she’s lost a lot of good will (that’s if she ever had it), especially with Americans.

She’s no Diana, she’s no Nelson Mandela- she’s nobody

• Registered Users Posts: 55,695 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Two words- Molly Martens

I think there are a lot of similarities in documented behaviour ( leaving aside murder obviously) between the two.

Heres some brief examples in case people think I’m going over the top here:

“The young woman fabricated stories and achievements, waged psychological warfare against people she disliked or considered to be rivals, and obsessed for years about securing sole control of her husband’s two children.”

“Within weeks of the family setting up home in North Carolina, following relocation from Mr Corbett’s native Limerick, Martens was telling neighbours that Sarah was her biological daughter.”

“Neighbours later admitted shock at the realisation Martens was not the girl’s natural mother – having listened to her lengthy description of how difficult her labour had been.”

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/molly-martens-spent-5500-on-industrial-clean-of-blood-stains-preventing-forensic-tests-36923471.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Her first Archetype podcast and she immediately harks back to the P&G letter writing when she was 11. That was thirty years ago, it's veracity was questioned in Bowers book (i.e. she participated in a national class campaign to write protest letters then, after the ad was changed her dad, likely to give her a confidence boost, convinced her that it was all her doing). I don't think the sniping at the big bad Royals will ever stop with that in mind. It's notoriety via a cemented and permanent victim status from here on.

The Cut article was fantastic in a cringe way. The Mandela story, the need to have a multi-million dollar mansion which inspires peace and calm while, in parallel, a Prince of the realm is exasperated at having to fix pipes while his wife does a ten hour photoshoot, the yogic breathing, the beat boxing bonding, the guttural noises, the silent help lighting expensive candles, the performative donations by security detail proxy delivering granola bars to the homeless in order to teach Archie that some people have big, small and no houses.

That's all before the predictable victim narrative of working on forgiveness, the whining about it not having to be that way, the threats...etc. It's worth remembering that the Spotify and Netflix contracts were signed when their stock was still high, before they jumped off a proverbial cliff via Oprah in terms of trust and credibility. A listers have side-eyed them since and any willing to embrace them (Serena Williams) get talked over and one-upped or Mariah Carey who triggered Meghan for saying she is a diva on a podcast with "Diva" in the title is likely wondering why she gave her the time of day.

The Bower book, which goes beyond reasonable doubt about the lies and hypocrisies has emboldened the media beyond the UK in calling out their BS. The power of being able to have someone like Piers Morgan sacked is long, long gone. The podcasts are now trotted out likely to fulfil a contract. After dud "tours" and a memoir which will be dissected and lampooned obscurity beckons. In the end, Meghan was right. It didn't have to be that way.

Post edited by valoren on

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I suspect that if Meghan anything salacious to leak to the press, it would either have been done by now. He could have been deliberately kept out of conversations that did involve scandal because he's a bit thick and could blab and she wasn't in the family long enough to hear about all the skeletons.

There's a lot that will come out after the Queen dies, particularly about Philips affairs. I think it's Murdoch who's a staunch republican who'd love to see the demise of the monarchy but oddly has a huge regard for the Queen and it's assumed he's sat on a heap of stories over the years out of respect for her, and when she dies it'll all come out.

• Advertisement

That would be a book worth buying. I do wonder how the Brits will take to Charles and Camila - I think they’ll be somewhat embarrassed considering such high regard the Queen has in the UK and the world stage.

Charles would be better off handing it over to William and Kate- I mean who in their right mind would take on being a king in their 70s for the first time, especially when their popularity is in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

I listened to the Serena Williams episode because I think she has had a fantastic career and is genuinly someone to be looked up to. I disagree with those who said she barely got a word in and Meghan spent most of the time talking about herself. There was a lot of Serena in that episode. However M never dug deeper with her, there was so much she could have asked her or followed up on. The comparison with McEnroe shouting and been really rude on court vs Serena getting penalised for doing the same was a really good talking point but Meghan moved on without exploring it any further. I find Meghan's voice very affected and difficult to listen to. Her intonations sound like she is constantly out of breath at the end of sentences and its makes for uncomfortable listening. She is not suited to podcasts. Also she doesnt know what Archtypes means which is annoying because she keeps referring back to it, when she means sterotypes. Whatever your perspective on Meghan, this is not good interviewing. She seemed to be teeing up points that she could interject on and add her two cents instead of just letting it be about Serena who could have filled hours of interesting content because she actually had interesting things to talk about from her life. I probably wont listen to the next one, I dont think many people will as the series goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I think that dual monarchy with two equal kings would be the best solution. It would let monarchy lasts longer. I don't think it will survive after Charles on his own.

When I observed the all four together in the cathedral they presented themselves very well, really strong team. I think such solution could be a good smooth transition to William.

Dunno,if this right place

But massive rumours going around online,the queen is dying and unlikely to make xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean who in their right mind would take on being a king in their 70s for the first time, especially when their popularity is in question.

Someone who’s been waiting half a century for it would. Charles isn’t given it up and whether it’s a long reign or not he’s going to be king.

the British royals family are a bit out of step when it comes to the other royal families of Europe in that because the queen has been there so long they’re a generation behind. The Scandinavian royal heirs are two men and a women in their mid forties and early fifties and the Dutch, Spanish, Belgian heirs are all young women in their early 20s. William and Kate if England had followed suit would be next in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,046 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've only seen BBC online saying she won't be attending the highland games and that the new PM will have to travel to her. She was due to return to London for that, no doubt it will be announced Charles will step in.

Where are you reading this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Shelga

This is my first time checking in on this thread since the infamous Oprah interview. Even then, I was in two minds about them. I did feel anyone would have found the level of harsh press Meghan got difficult to deal with, and I thought then and still think now, that Piers Morgan is a massive creepy ar*ehole.

And then I got bored of hearing about them. They’re not talented, or skilled, or particularly interesting. But I just read the interview in The Cut, and my god. Let’s just say I am no longer on the fence. The two of them really do seem completely, utterly unbearable. Meghan completely oblivious and/or unacknowledging of her status as the uber, mega wealthy. The 1% of the 1%. I remember thinking at the time, why do they have to live in a $14m mansion with something ridiculous like 16 bedrooms? If they wanted a quiet life, would a $2-3m house somewhere away from the hobnobbing of Montecito not have been better?

I also agree that the sheen and novelty of them seems to be wearing off rapidly. She has nothing to offer other than grubby tales of how the royal family “wronged” her. Get a bloody grip. Get over it already. You are obscenely wealthy for doing nothing, you have two healthy children. Even Harry, who has obviously suffered more with how he lost his mother- he also seems completely out of touch with the fact that he’s also massively, stupidly privileged.

I’m just sick of the pair of them. The cost of living crisis will hasten their demise, I imagine. Same for people like the Kardashians. It’s crass and disgusting how much money these people have, while the rest of us lose sleep at night over energy bills, and then she is comparing herself to Nelson Mandela and how she’s so saintly in her ability to forgive? Oh do eff off.

She seems to think of herself as some sort of saviour figure, or wants to portray herself as that. But what do they both actually do? It’s getting pathetic. I’m just sick of hearing about them but it’s impossible to avoid completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Will any be surprised/care about Philip’s affairs? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Indeed. The last one must have been at least 40 years ago by now. The only person they concern is his wife, and how she chose to deal with it is her business alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

I think Harry had no street savvy or brains , to be so fooled into the debaucle that is this marriage to this " bag of frogs mental" markle. I honestly think the fool believed her bullshit and was sucked in like a deep breath. A day will come when he will be so filled with remorse he will do the honorable thing and then she will be nothing but a widow with 2 kids from frozen eggs, and still a media whore. Royal family will just close ranks on her it will be a nice horror story. The kids may get money in water tight trust funds but they will choke her.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Regarding Philips affairs he lived in a time when having affairs was a perk, and the women willingly lay down for his good looks and to be favoured at court. Different times and hes dead so what can the woke do NOTHING. The queen was busy being queen and Philip was told to amuse himself and he did with horses & girls what a life he had.

Today he would have to be a good beta man and crawl behind the queen squirming and making himself look small. A bit like Harry does.......give me Philip any day of the week !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I think her ultimate weapon will be inside knowledge on Andrew. She’ll sit on that until her marriage ends though, because Harry is so close to Andrews daughters.

The hypocrisy of her in that article saying that what she’s done is all part of being a good parent, to be able to pick them up from school. There’s another big part of being a good parent which is putting aside all of your hurt feelings, rising above it to support the kids relationships with their relatives. They have the right to know their cousins, and if the drama carries on it’s going to come back to bite them both big time when their kids reach the teen years.

I think he was living with a woman right up to his death, Penny Knatchbull. She was at his funeral. Also perhaps a reason why his will must remain hidden for 100 years.

That was commented on at the time in a "We're not saying she was his mistress, but she was his mistress" kind of way. I think she spent a lot of time with him when he stepped down from royal engagements. It was normal for royalty once the heir and spare were provided. If that's the ace up Meghan's sleeve she's going to be disappointed with the reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

She was given a seat at the top for the funeral. Whatever their relationship, it was evidently acknowledged and respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

He was 100 when he died, she was 68 according to that article.

Hardly??

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

He was probably a lot younger when it started. He was very handsome and, by all accounts, very charismatic.

Advertisement