Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

sounds concerning...I hope she'll get through it.

Now I'm thinking maybe it's no coincidence H&M are already in the UK, maybe this silly speeches were not the real reason for them to fly over..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That's very true.

I hope that if it is her time, she goes peacefully.

It will be truly the end of a remarkable era.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You wonder if she hung on long enough just to see the back of Boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,046 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

History in the making, it's definitely the end of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Xander10

you give them too much credit.

It has only ever been about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

whatever it is with Harry since he met that woman, I still would like to think (and actually believe) he would like to say his goodbyes to his grandmother if it should be the time now.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

H&M on their way to Balmoral - edit - will be on their way after their engagement in Germany according to their spokesperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

True, but I don't think he went to see Prince Philip when he was ill. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They had no intentions of going to see her originally, despite her age and poor health, which is pretty sad really. I wonder will they extend their stay now?

I'd imagine they would have to stay for the funeral.

If nothing else, the optics of the Oprah interview when they knew Philip was on the way out had a massive backlash for them. If they left the country it reinforces that the aren't welcome in the family or don't care enough about the queen or the family to stay a few days extra. The former would be bad news for their brand and marketability and the latter means that they could no longer bleat about their special closeness to their daughters namesake.

The queen I think was a moderating influence on the family when it came to H&Ms antics and a big part of the reason they weren't ousted. I could see Charles wanting to keep the status quo but I can't see William feeling that charitable. He seems to be a bit of a hothead at times.

H&M would be smart to keep on their good sides if they can. Daddy will shortly be King and will inherit a vast fortune from the Queen. It was after all, the Queen who put her foot down about them being part time royals so if Daddy is a soft touch, that could well get reversed.

Interesting times.

• Advertisement

It really is and I feel almost sad. I'm not a monarchist but the Queen has been present for so much of the worlds happenings. There's something anchoring about that. The British people may feel untethered when she goes.

Or is the word 'royalist' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

harry changed no bit since he met meghan, he simply realised there is more to life then royal nonsense and decided "that's it, i'm leaving"

meghan is not responsible for any choices he has made, he is.

she did not steal him or take him away from you, he decided to go himself.

he is not a puppy or the property of the royal fans as much as it is hard to come to terms with otherwise.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

I think the BBC news team wearing black already is a bit much. I know she is very sick and maybe not going to pull through but think they are jumping the gun a bit. Can they not wait for an announcement before starting the mourning. Also think it's funny that the rest of the family were requested but harry and Meghan have their own spokesperson announcing they are going when they are finished doing their thing. It's a bit ****, if my granny was dying I wouldn't be hanging around doing appearances. Nobody would mind them cancelling under the circumstances.

I'm sure Netflix will have footage of them heading off with very concerned faces.

In fairness they have to be ready to announce it, they can't do a quick suit change on camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I believe the plan has always been for BBC1 to become a 'news channel' if HM passes away, so we're going to get wall to wall royal death coverage (I assume they will have to shove things like Eastenders onto BBC2).

The coverage of the flight landing is unintentionally funny. They were trying to guess who the people coming off the plane. And they commented that there was no sign of harry and Meghan.

They have to, apparently there was a massive backlash when the BBC presenter wore a burgundy tie when announcing the death of Diana - which in fairness, the story broke in Paris first so they had to jump quickly. So this time, especially for the Queen, I'd say they'll take no chances.

Besides, it's almost certain if you read between the lines that she's already gone and they are waiting for the family to arrive at Balmoral before making an official announcement.

If there was any hope of her pulling through, she'd be in a hospital getting the very best treatment. The fact that she's at home in her own bed and family are coming confirms that she's passed or very close to the end.

Hope the family get to see her before it happens. Hope she goes peacefully surrounded by family. She is a strong lady to have lasted this long especially after Philip passing. It really hit her hard.

It's crazy isn't it that people get so wound up over the colour of a tie. Especially when with Diana it was so unexpected.

• Advertisement

Meg stays away. Good idea. Last thing Her Majesty wants to see at her deathbed is that face https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11193639/The-Royal-Family-news-Queen-update.html

"The Duchess of Sussex is not travelling to Balmoral with the Duke of Sussex, with Harry making the trip by himself, sources have said. 

Numerous senior royals have rushed to the Scottish castle as news emerged that doctors are "concerned for Her Majesty's health".

The Duchess of Cambridge is also not travelling to Aberdeenshire, as she is looking after her three children in Windsor.

It is understood Meghan will remain in London, but will not attend the WellChild awards.

The duchess could potentially join Harry in Scotland at a later date, the source said, following the change of plan."

She's been firmly told to stay away by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I was thinking about if she went up there, could they make her sign a non disclosure agreement. Otherwise we’re going to have Omid Scobie releasing intimate details about the Queens death. What a nightmare for them.

I'm not sure they could - maybe.

Would she sign one though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Apparently she has already died but it won't be announced until 6pm, whether there's any truth to that is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Munstersrebel

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Jennie Bond dismissed that idea on RTE this afternoon - she reckons the UK media would reveal the info as soon as they were aware of it.

They do time the announcements all right -well, it used to be for the papers going to press so it sounds likely they'd do that.

And it's no harm to let the family have their short time to grieve before the inevitable circus of emotional incontinence from the public follows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

Immediate family only at her bedside. Wouldnt be appropriate for Meghan to be there. Surprised Sophie travelled. Catherine has stayed behind. There will be plenty of time for them to travel up to support the family after it is announced. No doubt footage of H&Ms reaction on hearing the news will be milked for netflix and Meghans lonely stay in London wringing her hands while Harry is away will be a dramatic moment in the docuseries. The timing has worked in their favour.

Advertisement