Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

I'm just not a horrible bully or a person who supports horrible bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just do some digging. A good place to start might be a certain interview with a U.S. talk show icon.

So you’ve placed Megan on a pedastal and you’re telling everyone not to criticise her in any way- bullying is not acceptable but neither is what you are doing acceptable. This is a discussion forum- most people want to discuss the topic at hand- you want to close down those discussions - you won’t succeed.

• Advertisement

I "obviously" won't allow even one small piece of criticism? Well that's demonstrably untrue. I have accepted the (albeit vague) reasons for people not liking Meghan (but I don't get why anyone outside of the most indoctrinated, brainwashed idiot royalist would be even slightly bothered).

I don't know what's so difficult to get. There's extraordinary, I mean EXTRAORDINARY, abuse being levelled at her on Twitter. It's shocking. The nastiness - what is wrong with these people? Not only that, there are all these lies being made up about her, based on "body language". Then I look at this thread and see the same vileness? (Thought it would be more reasonable).

It's not ironic that I'm baffled at people being so obsessed with what (they imagine) goes on within the royal family. I am asking them why they're jumping on the bullying bandwagon and feeling so bothered by vague stuff. It reminds me of:

Whip people up enough (in this case if you're the Daily Mail editor in chief) and they'll hate anyone. It's actually disturbing.

Imagine how hard it'll be for their kids when they get older, seeing their mother (and sometimes father) subjected to this. It's heartless and quite evil.

No there aren't necessarily double standards at play in relation to narcissism. It is possible to be a royal and have zero narcissistic traits. It's a hereditary role that comes with huge privilege but that doesn't mean the holder is filled with unpleasantness.

I mean you can have a mega star who is humble and without a sense of entitlement and a z lister who has an enormous ego and is insufferable.

Of course I don't know with any certainty in the inner world's of the royals and Meghan but I don't see any evidence of double standards when it comes to assumptions of narcissistic traits.

The thread is obviously upsetting you but yet you still post- I find that extraordinary. If something upset me, I usually try to avoid it

Anyway, back on topic- Megan the manipulator ….

Stop misrepresenting me - it's obnoxious.

Nowhere whatsoever did I tell people not to criticise her in any way. Don't lie.

It's also a discussion forum in that I can point out instances of vitriol and dishonesty and vacuousness.

The nastiness isn't as bad here apart from that @tara73 one, but people ARE: making sh1t up based on "body language" (lol), saying "this and that must be happening" with literally NO insider knowledge, and saying Meghan (people constantly misspelling her name too) is doing all this vague terrible stuff based on... zilch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A few reasons why I don't like them:

- They wanted out and to be financially independent, but keep their foot in the door as half in/half out royals. That was vetoed and they left, stripped of HRH status in public, Harry lost all his ceremonial titles and Charles agreed to support them financially for a limited period. All of that meant they lost Royal protection and were being bankrolled for a short period of time. On the Oprah interview a very petulant Harry indignantly announced his father had cut him off financially and he had to sign deals with Spotify and Netflix to support his family and pay security. Is that not what financial independence involves - paying your own way?

- Meghan said that there were numerous conversations initiated by one member of the RF expressing concern about their baby's skin colour throughout her first pregnancy. When Harry joined her and was asked about it he answered that there was one comment made before they got married wondering what skin colour a future baby might have. Oprah let the inconsistency slide and Meghan kept quiet. One of them was lying.

- Meghan claimed they were married 3 days before the wedding in an intimate ceremony that was meaningful to them and the public spectacle was for the world. The archbishop who apparently facilitated this had to publicly clarify this was untrue as it would have been illegal for him to sign the legal certificate on the day if they had married 3 days earlier.

- Both were unhappy, treated unfairly by the RF, Meghan was suicidal and the Palace wouldn't help, yet neither Harry who has worked with mental health charities, nor Meghan herself were able to call for help. Instead, she got dressed up and went on an official engagement to a theatre. She claimed she cried throughout when the lights were dimmed, yet not one paparazzi photo of an upset and tear-streaked Meghan appeared at the time, or since.

- Their children weren't given titles because of their mixed race, yet they weren't actually entitled to them until Charles was king.

- They still use their Sussex title and used their royal status to launch themselves, the racist, stifling royal family they just had to leave, yet still use as their USP.

- I can understand Harry being upset at his grandmother's death, but the reality is Meghan would have spent very little time with her. I'd put money on them talking about this to stay relevant.

- Meghan's own family have called out her lies. She claimed she up was an only child and, when challenged, dismissed the inaccuracy as "her truth". She also claimed she had to work so she could afford a cheap dinner, yet her father paid for her to be privately educated.

- The only family or friends she invited to her own wedding was her mother and a few of her Suits co-stars. She did however invite the likes of the Clooneys. Call me cynical, but that was purely to build connections into the A-list world they wanted to join. They are now shunned by the Obamas, the Clooenys et al because they publicly threw both their families under the bus. Anyone who values their private will not want to be anywhere near them.

- Their regularly talk about climate change and environmental concerns, yet they bought a huge mansion and take private jets like they're buses. They preach about compassion yet publicly slate their own families.

So Harry, a reportedly quite dumb and now junior status royal, and Meghan, an actress with only one role of note to her name, are reduced to peddling gossip to keep themselves relevant. That's the couple who wanted privacy remember, yet they give high profile interviews to bemoan their lot.

• Advertisement

Gas-lighting in order to make yourself feel better about the bullying. Class act all the way. Not very nice are you?

Anyway, back on topic: how's she a manipulator dude? 🙂

There is a bizarre level of vitriol and hatred aimed at Meghan. I don't use Twitter but I'm aware of the madness. One theory of mine is that she is a vessel for others frustrations and anger to be pored in to.

As for this thread? I'll only speak for myself as I started it. I'm fascinated by the royals and gobble up any articles and photos. At first I thought Meghan was speaking out and fair play to her although her methods left a bit to be desired. I wasn't sure if she was lying or not.

Now I feel differently. I dislike her and as is my natural way I like to wonder and speculate about what sort of person she really is and how she was within the royal family. I think most of us on this thread are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I just find it tiring how many experts there are nowadays who all feel fit to throw around diagnoses left, right and centre. Maybe the woman is just an annoying asshole, but no..she gets labelled with a variety of disorders.

It often reads as if stringent roles were assigned to every person in this soap opera and they cannot be questioned.

Yep- that’s essentially why this thread exists; the public don’t like to be lied to or manipulated and can spot a social climber who uses her royal position for financial gain whilst still yearning for the trappings and respect and adulation that’s reserved for serious working royals .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

The lady I quoted is a journalist who might have heard inside information that you or I are not privy to. And I see nothing 'deranged' in her tweet.

You don’t need a great empirical evidence or to have intimate knowledge of that person to identify someone whom you’ve never met before who you feel is just not a nice individual. Megan is one of those people- her treatment of her father is incompressible especially when she spouts on about love and forgiveness; her sniping at the royal family is essentially the well known scientific term of “washing your dirty laundry in public”.

I don’t need to have ever met her to know she’s not a person I want to know

The whole concept of a monarchy is absurd, we can see that with all the outdated pageantry that's playing out in the UK now. However, if you're going to marry in to it you need to accept it, it won't change for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Go to Celebitchy and read threads about Kate Middleton. The poison works each way. Remember the recent rumors of William enjoying pegging? Lots of mileage and mirth derived from that (an anonymous comment from 2005). It isn't unique to Meghan or Harry and that's acknowledgement that it does happen. You can't control balmpots on the internet tapping abuse but don't make the mistake of lumping reasonable criticism in with the kooks. I think the Daily Mail should rebrand as MarkleMail. The Sussexes are their golden goose for clicks and comments. They even post the odd positive article as well. It is media trolling of not only the Sussexes but the readers as well. They'll milk it for all it is worth sadly.

Hence Williams very wise advice to Harry not to rush in to marriage- which Harry essentially threw back in his face.

They were the fab 4 in the early days and I really thought they were a powerhouse that would transform the royal family - Megan and Harry actually out-shone Will and Kate at public events-

But, Newspapers have their palace insiders- they always have- and you could see with all the resignations of Harry and Megan’s staff that all was not well - that was the start of their downfall and IMHO, it was self-made.

I don’t condone calling Megan “names” and wishing her cancer or whatever some Twitter twats are doing, but it’s obvious to anyone with 1/2 a brain she was largely responsible for how she is perceived by the public

Thank you LER for being the one person who actually articulates the issues with this woman and her husband. Most people can't or won't, and it does seem like many just join in out of enjoyment in hating. Then there's the stuff that gets made up based on the way a hand is in a video or some sh1t. There's also excessive, disproportionate dislike (not aiming this at you) which Andrew has not received a fraction of. And then there's the grotesque press which publishes a photo of Kate cradling her baby bump and it being beautiful, and then Meghan cradling hers and it being something something (can't remember the horse-sh1t reason - it was bad anyway). And they keep repeating that pattern in order to twist the minds of stupid and gullible people. As a result, the hatred was set in stone before Oprah.

I think the racism allegations are lacking substance (although no doubt there ARE loathsome jingoistic British types who do have a problem with this). Misogyny - hmmm, I can't help thinking a man wouldn't be treated as badly. Famous/infamous women tend to be either put on a pedestal or hated with an incandescent rage. And then remember Andrew. I'm not saying men don't get abuse, but not this level, frankly. However I can happily acknowledge also that much (probably most) of the abuse is from women.

LER, you're an intelligent, balanced, reasonable person capable of critical thinking, but others just hate because they're told to (George Soros another example). Not that you hate them.

And bad as she may be, people still resort to making up lies about her. Surely they have enough to go on without lies. And for really affected regular folk, especially outside of Britain, do they ask themselves why they get so BOTHERED by the inner workings of this royal family?

I don't see all the press appearances H&M do though. Someone said it's unavoidable - well I'm avoiding it easily yet I'm on all the social media and have Sky TV? It's the press itself who are shoving them in our faces, and stirring up division. They're evil.

• Advertisement

Nobody bar the very naive would disagree that there's vitriol against them all. I'm not disputing that. I'm talking proportion.

I've never even heard of Celebitchy (how vile - a site for morons) but I'm unfortunately aware of the Mail group, and it absolutely goes to town on Meghan and Harry in a way that it does not otherwise.

People just enjoy bitching about them for the sake of it here too. Like @tara73 - amazing how UPSET they were about people questioning the attacks on Meghan. Says a lot.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I'm not on social media so I have no idea what's said outside of this thread.

The Oprah interview was full of startling inaccuracies, and the pair have taken numerous legal cases against the press. One was Meghan suing over the publication of a letter she wrote to her father. She had to apologise to the court when it became clear it was orchestrated by her publicist and she knew it would be published. I may have that mixed up with another case, but the gist is there.

A lot of her own family drama is played out in the press too, and she has been proven to lie about her past.

Meghan was due to give an interview in the US next Friday as an example. They turned up to an event for the invictus games with concealed mics and cameras etc.

Now, I'm not saying the rest of the RF are any more likeable, but their public appearances and speeches are controlled so they appear neutral and non-offensive. Harry appeared more likeable when he was in the fold too.

Andrew is a vile person, I have posted about him in the AH thread which has been brought back to life today, and in this thread. There was also a lot of negative comments about him in the queen thread, but they were all deleted and any further discussion of him will result in a thread ban ...

I will also add that a woman who marries in to the family is often seen as a brood mare, her main function is to have the heir and the spare, then look well polished in public.

As recently as Diana's time they were expected to tolerate the mistress and be a part of their own marriage in public appearances only.

Agreed. Although I'm a hypocrite because I believe the REALLY vitriolic people making up bull about her, and who say stuff like "I HATE her so much", have untreated mental health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Fergie, Sophie, Kate all from good stock with royal connections . Meagan on the other hand was "second hand" goods and probably a "quadroon" in the eyes of some of the more excitable royals .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Maybe. I think the die hard haters are just bored and disgruntled. Some are probably nuts alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What Royal connections did Kate Middleton have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

Twice Harry has taken legal actiom against the The Mail news group. If he ignored them, they wouldnt run constant stories about him and Megan. They are making a point now of painting them.in a negative light as a type of pay back for taking them to court.

I'm not sure where you're getting all of this from?

Questioning why others dislike Meghan isn't placing Meghan on a pedestal, being offended by the criticism or attempting to close down the thread. Fugue has simply asked the basis for our opinions and whether they're based on tabloid sensationalism. It would help if you engaged and answered the questions rather than hysterically claiming they must be related to Meghan.

There is only one poster on the thread who is furiously defending Meghan with nonsensical posts saying the same thing regardless of the context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Her grandaddy and his grandaddy flew all over SA in the '60's . Had quite a bit of fun by all accounts, sampled the local "fruits". Ironically the same trip he made connections with the Davey family in rodhesia.

Advertisement