Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭AllForIt

SusieBlue wrote: »
    She was suicidal because she was getting torn to absolute shreds with complete lies being told about her in the media, thus turning the public against her.
    And not only did no other member of the family set the record straight to help alleviate some of the negative scrutiny she was receiving, she wasn’t allowed to defend herself either.

Stop talking like you are a personal friend of hers as if you have some personal insight. She was not 'torn to absolute shreds'. Talk about exaggerating.

The public turned against her because... on balance, they find here a bit of a fraud. I do too. Based on what I've seen of her. I don't read tabloids, god forbid. I thought the initial marriage was great, but it turns out they were already married, and the broadcast marriage was all for show. That's really weird.

I genuinely struggle to imagine how even the most mentally strong of people wouldn’t be rattled and distraught at the torrent of negative press that she received at that time. It would make even the most the mentally stable of adults crack.

How about stop reading the gutter press. Simples.
    And when you get to that point, it doesn’t matter that you have a lovely husband and child and no money worries, you don’t see life as worth living and that’s why we are often shocked when we hear of suicides, both locally and of celebrities.

How about if you are that filthy rich taking some private psychiatric therapy. It's all the rage in the US apparently. I'm sure she can afford it.

She isn’t the first famous person to feel suicidal despite all her wealth & privilege, and she won’t be the last either.

Meghan is not just famous, she is virtual Royalty. She is way above Hollywood actor status right now where she was for a while and had experience of being famous. Very odd she's 'crumbling' being more famous than she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

acequion wrote: »
    And she's grand out now she says, didn't she tell us at the end that it's even better than the happy ever after. She wasn't long getting better :rolleyes:

What timeframe do you deem acceptable for recovering from suicidal ideation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I wonder will the new series of 'The Windsors' be delayed to shoehorn this hilarious multi-millionaire he said-she said-they said into it?

Also, what will people think if actual proof of bullying by M emerges...so much soapy opera available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

What timeframe do you deem acceptable for recovering from suicidal ideation?

I don't believe for one minute that she was ever really suicidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Recliner

As someone who has suffered from anxiety and depression for 30+ years and who is now doing my best to recover from a nervous breakdown, I find it so sad and difficult to read people putting a timeline on when people should be better or doubting people who have said they have suffered. Most people who know me know nothing of what I'm going through, not even family members because the comments here reflect exactly what most people think of mental illness. It's because of this attitude that I find it difficult to open up and the isolation that it leads to makes it all the harder to recover from. Anyone who would meet me would never think there was a problem, but inside I'm in bits. I've had suicidal thoughts, I'm undergoing serious treatment to hopefully not cure me but to make me able to cope.
    I applaud anyone who comes out and says what Meghan said. I would never ever say about anyone that they are playing the mental illness card. It's comments like that which have made me hide my Illness for so many years. I'm just grateful that I'm still alive now to be able to get help.
    Please be careful what you say, the most put together person you know might be the person who needs the most help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

You do hear of many celebrity suicides but how many plaster their angst on a huge media platform?? And she's grand out now she says, didn't she tell us at the end that it's even better than the happy ever after. She wasn't long getting better :rolleyes:

And was she really that badly villified by the press? Is that not just more wild exaggeration? I really can't recall anything that bad being said about her and before the wedding and when they were new weds was it not all candy floss?

I'm not saying there isn't truth in that because I genuinely don't know. Wouldn't be bothered reading about her tbh but I think I'd have spotted hate.

So talking about their struggles makes their struggles less valid and believable, is that what you’re saying?

Plenty of celebrities have opened up about their mental health issues over the past few years, I recall Stephen Fry, Katy Perry, and Demi Lovato giving interviews and speaking publicly about how they have felt suicidal. I’m sure there are many more, google is your friend.

She was accused of all sorts, from perpetuating 3rd world human rights abuses and famine because she likes avocados, to intentionally risking Princess Charlotte’s life because the little girl was mildly allergic to the flowers in Meghan wedding bouquet.
    It was crap journalism and hysterical sensationalism but the public fell for it hook, line and sinker and these ridiculous articles attracted all sorts of hateful and disgusting comments which further negatively effected her public image.

It was during this time, where every single thing she did and said was scrutinised under the microscope and blown out of proportion with the sole intention of working the British public into a frenzy, that she claims to have felt suicidal.
    It isn’t for me to determine what another person is feeling, but I will say that if I was in her shoes at that time I’d have struggled to mentally cope with all the negativity as well. I can certainly see why she felt that way.

Now for what it’s worth I think they could have handled stepping down a bit better, and there were definitely times where their expectations of financial support etc. were too high after they moved to the USA, but I think the catalyst for this whole thing was the outright disgraceful way the media portrayed her while she was pregnant and after Archies birth, and the family doing nothing to help or stop it lead to this whole sorry mess coming to be in the first place.
    I am firmly on Meghan & Harry’s side on that one, regardless of all the stuff that happened after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

This is a couple in their late thirties, the poor us act is ridiculous. If she was suicidal who is the main person who needs to help her? Her husband - he’s not short of info, he’s not short of money or connections. Helping her was his responsibility.
    And all that whinging about her son not getting a title, when he was never in line for one anyway!
    They could get away with it if they were a couple of teenagers, but they’re a rich pair of brats who thought they could quit the job and keep all the perks. Who hated the media, but run to them with sensationalism now. Pair of hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

So talking about their struggles makes their struggles less valid and believable, is that what you’re saying?

Plenty of celebrities have opened up about their mental health issues over the past few years, I recall Stephen Fry, Katy Perry, and Demi Lovato giving interviews and speaking publicly about how they have felt suicidal. I’m sure there are many more, google is your friend.

She was accused of all sorts, from perpetuating 3rd world human rights abuses and famine because she likes avocados, to intentionally risking Princess Charlotte’s life because the little girl was mildly allergic to the flowers in Meghan wedding bouquet.
    It was crap journalism and hysterical sensationalism but the public fell for it hook, line and sinker and these ridiculous articles attracted all sorts of hateful and disgusting comments which further negatively effected her public image.

It was during this time, where every single thing she did and said was scrutinised under the microscope and blown out of proportion with the sole intention of working the British public into a frenzy, that she claims to have felt suicidal.
    It isn’t for me to determine what another person is feeling, but I will say that if I was in her shoes at that time I’d have struggled to mentally cope with all the negativity as well. I can certainly see why she felt that way.

Now for what it’s worth I think they could have handled stepping down a bit better, and there were definitely times where their expectations of financial support etc. were too high after they moved to the USA, but I think the catalyst for this whole thing was the outright disgraceful way the media portrayed her while she was pregnant and after Archies birth, and the family doing nothing to help or stop it lead to this whole sorry mess coming to be in the first place.
    I am firmly on Meghan & Harry’s side on that one, regardless of all the stuff that happened after that.

The comparisons were scary.

https://www.boredpanda.com/uk-media-double-standarts-royal-meghan-markle-kate-middleton/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Even today, the mail have a hatchet job on Meghan and Harry saying everyone is against then etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Recliner wrote: »
    As someone who has suffered from anxiety and depression for 30+ years and who is now doing my best to recover from a nervous breakdown, I find it so sad and difficult to read people putting a timeline on when people should be better or doubting people who have said they have suffered. Most people who know me know nothing of what I'm going through, not even family members because the comments here reflect exactly what most people think of mental illness. It's because of this attitude that I find it difficult to open up and the isolation that it leads to makes it all the harder to recover from. Anyone who would meet me would never think there was a problem, but inside I'm in bits. I've had suicidal thoughts, I'm undergoing serious treatment to hopefully not cure me but to make me able to cope.
    I applaud anyone who comes out and says what Meghan said. I would never ever say about anyone that they are playing the mental illness card. It's comments like that which have made me hide my Illness for so many years. I'm just grateful that I'm still alive now to be able to get help.
    Please be careful what you say, the most put together person you know might be the person who needs the most help.

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I don't think the comments here reflect what most people think though and I speak from experience. We have progressed a lot but there's always going to be a tiny minority that remain ignorant and unaware of the damage their attitude and words can do. Don't let them affect you, follow the kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Recliner

Multipass wrote: »
    This is a couple in their late thirties, the poor us act is ridiculous. If she was suicidal who is the main person who needs to help her? Her husband - he’s not short of info, he’s not short of money or connections. Helping her was his responsibility

There is do much wrong with your post. Please read my post above.

The fact that you say "IF" she was suicidal is so wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

AllForIt wrote: »
    Stop talking like you are a personal friend of hers as if you have some personal insight. She was not 'torn to absolute shreds'. Talk about exaggerating.

The public turned against her because... on balance, they find here a bit of a fraud. I do too. Based on what I've seen of her. I don't read tabloids, god forbid. I thought the initial marriage was great, but it turns out they were already married, and the broadcast marriage was all for show. That's really weird.

How about stop reading the gutter press. Simples.

How about if you are that filthy rich taking some private psychiatric therapy. It's all the rage in the US apparently. I'm sure she can afford it.

Meghan is not just famous, she is virtual Royalty. She is way above Hollywood actor status right now where she was for a while and had experience of being famous. Very odd she's 'crumbling' being more famous than she was.

‘Stop talking about her like I’m a personal friend’? Did you even read that back before you pressed post?
    It’s gas that you’re accusing me of exaggeration when you are like a dog to a bone, jumping on anyone who says anything remotely not negative or in her defence.
    Are only critical opinions allowed around here or something?

In my opinion she was torn to shreds, very unfairly, by the media, shortly after her wedding and while she was pregnant on Archie.
    I have yet to see anything convincing that will change my mind on what I have seen.
    So unless you can show me some compelling evidence to suggest otherwise, I suggest you stop trying to moderate my posts and replying in such a hostile manner. It really isn’t that deep and there is no need to be so abrupt in your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Some of you guys would want to calm down. Ye're taking it all too seriously and too personally. None of us know the couple. We only know what we see through media. Some sympathise with them while others don't. Personally, I couldn't give a toss about them, royalty doesn't much interest me beyond admiring the glamour and style in glossy magazines in the good old days at the hairdressers.

But I don't like the assumption that because a person doesn't automatically swallow every sob story they're somehow unempathetic or ignorant of issues related to mental ill health. That's actually quite insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

A couple of bluffers.

I suggest you stop trying to moderate my posts and replying in such a hostile manner. It really isn’t that deep and there is no need to be so abrupt in your replies.

SusieBlue, I didn't mean to come across hostile to you personally and if I did I apologize. You are as much entitled to your sympathetic opinion towards Mehgan as much as I am entitled to hold the opposite view. Good evening : )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Seeing the disparaging portrayal of Meghan in the media for the first time ( avocados and bouquets) I have no problem with her and her OH giving the two fingers to the establishment , especially when as revealed they were offered no support throughout it. It smacks of aristocratic aloofness; don't demean onself with the murmuring commoners ( i.e. press and public ) ; just suck it up and be above it.
    IMO it's an insight into the inner workings of one of the most secretive families.  They seem 'trapped' by expectation and elitism and pageantry at odds with the pace of popular culture; at all times one must protect the institution i.e. the apex of high soceity.
    Maybe 'trapped ' and maintain are the wrong words to use.  This is just the historical life they were born to and deviations are wont to undermine the strength of the monarchy in the eyes of all else.

Though I hazard the terms The Firm and the Institution are not interchangeable terms.

auspicious wrote: »
    Seeing the disparaging portrayal of Meghan in the media for the first time ( avocados and bouquets) I have no problem with her and her OH giving the two fingers to the establishment , especially when as revealed they were offered no support throughout it. It smacks of aristocratic aloofness; don't demean onself with the murmuring commoners ( i.e. press and public ) ; just suck it up and be above it.
    IMO it's an insight into the inner workings of one of the most secretive families.  They seem 'trapped' by expectation and elitism and pageantry at odds with the pace of popular culture; at all times one must protect the institution i.e. the apex of high soceity.
    Maybe 'trapped ' and maintain are the wrong words to use.  This is just the historical life they were born to and deviations are wont to undermine the strength of the monarchy in the eyes of all else.

Though I hazard the terms The Firm and the Institution are not interchangeable terms.

The 'establishment' are their family. Especially Harry's family.

I'd love to be able to give my two fingers to my family in public, but I don't think Oprah would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

She was suicidal because she was getting torn to absolute shreds with complete lies being told about her in the media, thus turning the public against her.
    And not only did no other member of the family set the record straight to help alleviate some of the negative scrutiny she was receiving, she wasn’t allowed to defend herself either.

I genuinely struggle to imagine how even the most mentally strong of people wouldn’t be rattled and distraught at the torrent of negative press that she received at that time. It would make even the most the mentally stable of adults crack.

And when you get to that point, it doesn’t matter that you have a lovely husband and child and no money worries, you don’t see life as worth living and that’s why we are often shocked when we hear of suicides, both locally and of celebrities.

She isn’t the first famous person to feel suicidal despite all her wealth & privilege, and she won’t be the last either.

She's a professional actress apparently playing the greatest role of her life.

It does not excuse the behaviour of the press- but more or less the entire RF have been torn to shreds at various points in time. Its an occupational hazard- long before yer one turned up with the poor me attitude - batting the eyelids and telling the world that everyone else was wrong and were horrible except herself

I don't doubt she got depressed- very possibly after the birth of her son. That Harry, her GP or her gynecologist etc could not have got her professional help is just bs.

That said she has already been shown to be a fantasist in somecregards - by claiming her son was not given the title of Prince becsuse of the 'colour of his skin - when it was made clear clear that such titles are not handed out - to grandchildren of parents not in direct line for the throne or the bizarre claim she was actually legally married three days before her wedding.

She had previous form with her own family and whats for certain she knows exactly what's she's doing imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ah come on!! That she had it tough, that she was depressed, I get that but announcing to the world that she didn't want to be alive anymore smacks of melodrama and attention seeking and let's face it to do an hour long whinge about how you were hard done by on Oprah, you'd want to be a bit of an attention seeker.

Also, as I said earlier and others have also said, it really is impossible to believe that they couldn't have had the best doctors /therapists treat her privately and discreetly.

It really is hard to have sympathy for such a public whinger, especially at a time when so much many people the world over are quietly going through a lot worse.

I dunno. I’ve had one time in my life when I felt suicidal and when she said “This is not me”, that resonated with me because it’s such a shocking thought to even think never mind act out. Very different circumstances - for me it was in the lead up to my cancer diagnosis when not only was my physical health deteriorating by the day but I was coming apart mentally because doctor after doctor after doctor was shrugging their shoulders. I felt like I was losing it. And one evening, I looked out at my balcony and thought “You know, you could just step off there and this will all be over”. I quickly mentally talked myself in off the ledge but it’s hard to get across how shocking it is to even be having that thought. I know what she meant when she said “This isn’t me.”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I don't believe for one minute that she was ever really suicidal.

How on earth would you know what the woman was going through? What a staggeringly stupid statement to make. Does your being a reader of the Daily Mail make you an expert on Meghan Markle's psyche or something?

Jesus, no matter how much you dislike a random celebrity, or anyone, calling them a liar for saying they felt suicidal, for an hour, or a day, or a week or a year is just off the scale calousness. If you've never walked in someone's shoes, where do you get off second guessing their mental state?

So much of this thread reads like a Daily Mail comments section! How dare they speak up for themselves, when they should thank their lucky stars they're better off than most and just take what the tabloids sh*t out about them without a by your leave. He was born into the institution and she married into it by choice. Being publicly venerated and lied about in the papers is their penance for that.
    Seeing your private letters splashed across the front pages of a **** rag paper, sold to it by your so called parent and then being called a cold bitch for cutting him out of your life, even when he continues to collect money for trashing you in the media every chance he gets. Ah sure, the poor aul crater, he was naive is all. Imagine selling out your own child and then somehow becoming painted as the victim!

Fu*k that, the likes of Piers Morgan and his barrel-scraping acolytes at the sh*t rag he writes for can dish out all the vitriolic bile they like, but God forbid the two people on the end of it actually answer back or try to put their own version across.

I'll say this much, it's not a family I'd have any interest in marrying into, given how the women who married in to it before have been treated. No amount of money, fame or prestige would be worth stripping me of my voice, my freedom, my reputation or my health. They were dead right to get the hell out of dodge and do the best thing for them and their children and I, for one, wish em all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Recliner wrote: »
    There is do much wrong with your post. Please read my post above.

The fact that you say "IF" she was suicidal is so wrong.

I have a similar history to you. I have been suicidal more than once, so no need to lecture me on that. I used ‘if’ in the sense of ‘if you feel this way then you would do this’. If she felt suicidal she would expect help from the person she was sharing her life with. Why would her in-laws be her focus? I found her interview to be unbelievable and insincere.

And the other thing is, if she was treated so badly why when they moved to Canada did they try so hard to keep their fingers in the pie? You could respect them if they left and said ‘F you all, we’re doing our own thing’, but that’s not what they did. They wanted to keep the titles, they wanted to go back and forth, doing official engagements when they felt like it. And they thought they could take their taxpayer funded police protection abroad with them. Things only turned nasty when they were realised they couldn’t have their cake and eat it.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    One thing that everyone can agree with is that Piers Morgan is a horrible human being.
    The fact that he constantly gets prime time TV and the daily mail and the sun are the top 2 newspapers in the UK tells you a lot about that country

He is entertaining though. A pantomime villain. I can't think of anyone similar on the BBC who I would tune in to love to hate. An awful lot of beige, safe, boring people on there.

I think MM probably did need help, to wean her off her tabloid addiction!
    Stop reading all the rubbish in the papers and crappy websites about herself.

There was a lot of paranoia in her interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Fancied herself as the new "England's Rose".
    But ended up looking more like a Venus flytrap.

He is entertaining though. A pantomime villain. I can't think of anyone similar on the BBC who I would tune in to love to hate. An awful lot of beige, safe, boring people on there.

Given his role in phone hacking, I'd say he's more than a pantomime villain tbh. The fact he ever got a job after that is part of the problem with the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

nonsheep7 wrote: »
    The Mrs got me to watch this last night and even though I had heard of the name Meghan Merkle I didn't know who she was ? Herself was salivating at the whole played out saga , me ? I was mildly entertained . Having played a lot of live poker and being in situations where I had to judge peoples character fairly quickly purely by intuition I would have to say that the Meghan wan came across as being quite devious and untrustworthy ....but I may be wrong of course ....

I usually find poker players who think they're the big I am and can judge someones character over a game of cards are the easiest to take to the cleaners!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This whole shallow contrived affair is probably about as ironic as ironic can be

Prince and his wife need to get out of the family because they need space and privacy

Now, they are pretty much more public and in your face than they have ever been.

Two absolute spoofers!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Multipass wrote: »
    I have a similar history to you. I have been suicidal more than once, so no need to lecture me on that. I used ‘if’ in the sense of ‘if you feel this way then you would do this’. If she felt suicidal she would expect help from the person she was sharing her life with. Why would her in-laws be her focus? I found her interview to be unbelievable and insincere.

And the other thing is, if she was treated so badly why when they moved to Canada did they try so hard to keep their fingers in the pie? You could respect them if they left and said ‘F you all, we’re doing our own thing’, but that’s not what they did. They wanted to keep the titles, they wanted to go back and forth, doing official engagements when they felt like it. And they thought they could take their taxpayer funded police protection abroad with them. Things only turned nasty when they were realised they couldn’t have their cake and eat it.

I don't believe you have ever had a suicidal thought in your life. I think It's a contrived story intended to add credence to the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

cnocbui wrote: »
    I don't believe you have ever had a suicidal thought in your life. I think It's a contrived story intended to add credence to the rest.

For someone who said its okay for Harry to wear a swastika you are picking some wierd hills to die on.

I dont think you are Meghans type. Dont need to defend her honor constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think it tells a lot about Harry that when someone in the family wondered what colour skin the new arrival might have he didn't deal with it there and then but waited a year and 3000 miles away to take offence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think it tells a lot about Harry that when someone in the family wondered what colour skin the new arrival might have he didn't deal with it there and then but waited a year and 3000 miles away to take offence!

Thats because at the time I'm sure Harry had a good chuckle and probably replied with 'hopefully not too dark".

He needed the wife to tell him actually Harry thats racist.

Advertisement