Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Thats because at the time I'm sure Harry had a good chuckle and probably replied with 'hopefully not too dark".

He needed the wife to tell him actually Harry thats racist.

Some posters here aren't much better than gossiping biddies who you'll find all throughout the nation, who love to speculate about things that they know nothing about purely to satisfy their boredom.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Some posters here aren't much better than gossiping biddies who you'll find all throughout the nation, who love to speculate about things that they know nothing about purely to satisfy their boredom.

Yep, and it's a little bit of fun let's be honest. Nobody is going to be harmed based on what people post in boards.ie

cnocbui wrote: »
    I don't believe you have ever had a suicidal thought in your life. I think It's a contrived story intended to add credence to the rest.

Are you denying that person their lived experience? Shockingly insensitive to people who have had mental health struggles to be told they are making it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

So the guy who wore a Nazi uniform is calling out a racist. Right

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Inconsistency is what gives liars away ,

Megan in the same interview told the world they where able to get married in secret before the actually wedding just them two and a Vicar but..... She couldn't get to see someone for a chat about her mental health ??????????

Harry gets help himself , Harry also works with multiple health organisations ,They had already decided to leave at this point ,
    Why as her husband wouldn't he just get it sorted no matter what , This a fella who has broken Royal protocol most of his life but wouldn't when his wife is ill and with a new born ?? ,He seems like a awful bloke to be honest,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

There's something slightly grotesque about a pair of multi millionaires fishing for sympathy during the current climate

This is so true, well said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

If discussing mental health then mental illness must also be part of the conversation. A mental illness particularly personality disorders can be destructive and I think this is very much the case here i.e. a personality disordered person married into one of the highest profile families in the world and has managed to fracture that family in what's looking like an irrevocable situation. All in the space of a few years. It happened in my own family too. One person, my younger brother's wife, a serial narcissistic bully, fractured our family. That too was predicated on a personality disordered person who was always seeking praise, who felt entitled to respect, who wanted instant gratification, who caused drama and ructions when it wasn't always forthcoming because of her provocative conduct. She latched onto misunderstandings and deliberately formed multi-year long toxic narratives expressly to play the victim and to seek attention and who abused and bullied my brother, who frustratingly put up with it all, into complying with her victim playing and ultimately even had him engaging in gas lighting to champion her as well. He too was immensely worried about her mental health, what she might do to herself and that she spent some nights crying in their bathroom because we were bullying her. He was too gullible and impressionable to see the wood for the trees. He became too involved to the point where he worried what she might do to herself if he split up with her. She was a manipulative liar who towards the end took it all too far, got in over her head, got exposed for who she was and scrambled to have her own family diverge from ours. Her private behaviour needed formal professional help which we spoke about privately with our brother. Obviously it was never going to happen and so it all eventually split our family (and not her own). Now if you were to personally speak to her today about what happened a few years ago I would imagine the framing of it would be eerily similar to the Oprah interview i.e. it would be one very biased side to the story where victim playing is prevalent and in which the listening audience don't appreciate the specific private machinations and private conduct by everybody involved. You come away thinking she had done nothing wrong, was a victim and we are all the villains. You'd think looking at their social media that they are the perfect picture of a loving marriage and family and you'd be told that myself, my wife, my parents and my older brother are a group of toxic, bullying scumbags who almost drove her to suicide and with whom her husband had no choice but to fall out with. Yet, that's just one side of the story and if she was telling this to an audience of millions then can you imagine the mental toll that would have on us. No one is doubting Meghan experienced mental health issues but this could all have been conducted in private without providing even more fodder for the media. The interview is such a deliberate public humiliation for the Royal family and that is the modus operandi at play now by someone I believe is mentally ill, a personality disordered person with an axe to grind and a relevance retaining agenda. The released statement from the Palace for me was loaded. I can only imagine what they might truly want to say but can't.

In summation, do I believe that it is possible the Royal family was fractured because someone made an innocuous remark about the possible colour of a babies skin and that, instead of them all privately sorting out and clearing up any misunderstandings, that this comment which was warped to become a racist comment triggered a sequence of disruptions, arguments and disputes within that became utterly toxic and split the family? Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

cnocbui wrote: »
    I don't believe you have ever had a suicidal thought in your life. I think It's a contrived story intended to add credence to the rest.

Uh huh, except for the fact that I’m not crying for Oprah, and making millions on the publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Are you denying that person their lived experience? Shockingly insensitive to people who have had mental health struggles to be told they are making it up.

No he’s comparing me to Meghan. Unfortunately my depression has left me penniless, now that’s when it can be a challenge to get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So apparently Meghan said her and Harry would no receive payment for the interview??

Who is profiting from this so? Oprah and her company?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Yep, and it's a little bit of fun let's be honest. Nobody is going to be harmed based on what people post in boards.ie

I think you should ask all the people who have committed suicide over social media. Boards is the exact same as facebook/twitter etc.

I wouldn't ever describe it as "a little bit of fun"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

TomTomTim wrote: »

Harry said in one of their joint interviews that Meghan had given him an 'awakening' and a re-education on racism. He said he thought he knew what racism was but now realises after his indoctrination that he 'hadn't a clue' what it really meant.
    That is absolutely extraordinary for someone who served in the armed forces, in many countries in the world torn apart by violent factions and has visited such impoverished communities. Then along comes a wealthy actress with a blog about nice food and destination travel to open his eyes to the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Wondering about the skin colour seems to have been the musing of a family member in the context of a private family discussion. If my brother was married and expecting with a "non-white" person I can easily see us wondering out loud about the interesting skin colour- it doesnt mean we are some sort of KKK clad bigots. I see nothing wrong with it.

We have all sat among our own family and discussed matters and expressed delicate opinions on matters that we would never voice in public.

More faux outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Don't expect this to drag on much more

The RF have a hell of a lot more important work and engagement than being involved in a back and forth with two attention seeking "celebrities."

Meghan set out to get what she wanted, and she got it....and she's still getting it

Z list trash is all this is.

Harry.......just very very strange how he has turned out.....

Meghan: Z lister who wanted to climb the ladder...nothing ore or less..

One of the most contrived and pretentious celebrities we have had in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

How on earth would you know what the woman was going through? What a staggeringly stupid statement to make. Does your being a reader of the Daily Mail make you an expert on Meghan Markle's psyche or something?

Jesus, no matter how much you dislike a random celebrity, or anyone, calling them a liar for saying they felt suicidal, for an hour, or a day, or a week or a year is just off the scale calousness. If you've never walked in someone's shoes, where do you get off second guessing their mental state?

So much of this thread reads like a Daily Mail comments section! How dare they speak up for themselves, when they should thank their lucky stars they're better off than most and just take what the tabloids sh*t out about them without a by your leave. He was born into the institution and she married into it by choice. Being publicly venerated and lied about in the papers is their penance for that.
    Seeing your private letters splashed across the front pages of a **** rag paper, sold to it by your so called parent and then being called a cold bitch for cutting him out of your life, even when he continues to collect money for trashing you in the media every chance he gets. Ah sure, the poor aul crater, he was naive is all. Imagine selling out your own child and then somehow becoming painted as the victim!

Fu*k that, the likes of Piers Morgan and his barrel-scraping acolytes at the sh*t rag he writes for can dish out all the vitriolic bile they like, but God forbid the two people on the end of it actually answer back or try to put their own version across.

I'll say this much, it's not a family I'd have any interest in marrying into, given how the women who married in to it before have been treated. No amount of money, fame or prestige would be worth stripping me of my voice, my freedom, my reputation or my health. They were dead right to get the hell out of dodge and do the best thing for them and their children and I, for one, wish em all the best.

I really take exception to your tone! How absolutely dare you rubbish my point of view and call my statements "staggeringly stupid and callous." You know ABSOLUTELY nothing about me but actuallyI never read the daily mail and happen to know more about depression and being suicidal than I care to say here on a public forum even hidden behind a user name. Which is perhaps why I find public shows of "poor me, "I'm right, everyone else is wrong" distasteful and I exercise my right to disbelieve and be skeptical.

You seem to have a grudge against anybody who dares to criticise them, from Piers Morgan to the posters here you disagree with? They are public figures, not people we know, not our friends or family. They court publicity and attention and choose to air all their baggage on a very public forum. People have every right to sympathise or not, believe them or not, without being attacked for their views by people who quite frankly would want to objectify it all a bit more.

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    Harry said in one of their joint interviews that Meghan had given him an 'awakening' and a re-education on racism. He said he thought he knew what racism was but now realises after his indoctrination that he 'hadn't a clue' what it really meant.
    That is absolutely extraordinary for someone who served in the armed forces, in many countries in the world torn apart by violent factions and has visited such impoverished communities. Then along comes a wealthy actress with a blog about nice food and destination travel to open his eyes to the real world.

Well, think about it. How many "non white" people would Harry have in his (very) closed and carefully selected circle of friends and contacts? Like most of us- very very few and like 99% of his here- none at all.

The British Army is not exactly a bastion of tolerance and openness either. Harry's time in the Army was carefully managed and he was kept very safe.

sebdavis wrote: »
    I think you should ask all the people who have committed suicide over social media. Boards is the exact same as facebook/twitter etc.

I wouldn't ever describe it as "a little bit of fun"

Boards is nothing like Facebook or Twitter,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

BettyS wrote: »
    They essentially called somebody in the direct family (seems binary to me) a racist and they said Charles cut them off. Pretty serious allegations
    But they didn't name anyone so they didn't "tear somebody’s reputation apart"
    I think it tells a lot about Harry that when someone in the family wondered what colour skin the new arrival might have he didn't deal with it there and then but waited a year and 3000 miles away to take offence!

Do you know that he did nothing? Or said nothing? Lots of speculation in this thread

I believe in time Harry will regret all of this noise.

There was no need for it and I am not entriely sure what he will hopes to ultimately acheive. He seems to be just acting out and venting and reaching for any sort of branch for maximum effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

walshb wrote: »
    Don't expect this to drag on much more

The RF have a hell of a lot more important work and engagement than being involved in a back and forth with two attention seeking "celebrities."

Meghan set out to get what she wanted, and she got it....and she's still getting it

Z list trash is all this is.

Harry.......just very very strange how he has turned out.....

Meghan: Z lister who wanted to climb the ladder...nothing ore or less..

One of the most contrived and pretentious celebrities we have had in recent years.

So wicked Meghan has corrupted poor Harry?

You were quite vocal here yesterday in backing Piers Morgan and calling Meghan a liar.

Now that ended well for PM with his embsrassing childish flounce off.

And as for calling people liars, you dont know the first thing about her mental health and it says more about your own prejudice that you deem yourself fit to comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Whoever advised them on that interview did a poor job. Why did it start with just Megan when the interview only covered her time with Harry. Would Harry have stopped her saying things. It gave an impression of this is the Megan show and that Harry is an afterthought.

If it was my wife being interviewed about a very stressful time in her life where she was suicidal after we got married she would want me sitting next to her for support even if she was doing better. It didn't come across well as this being a couple supporting each other through a difficult time.

A lot of the rest of it was dredging up dirty linen that's in any family and airing it in public. Even stuff that was in the papers. Why remind people about it? People mostly forgot about the time she made Kate cry. Now some people believe kate made her cry instead and more are reminded of the time she made Kate cry.

The race thing came across as jumping on the BLM bandwagon especially when it was mainly linked to the child not being a prince. The security stuff really was after they left the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

MoonUnit75 wrote: »

Harry went to Eton and spent his life hanging around rich people with titles. His role in the armed forces is a PR exercise. Flying over some village in afghanistan in a €30m helicopter isn't really going to prepare you for how racism works in the western world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

So apparently Meghan said her and Harry would no receive payment for the interview??

Who is profiting from this so? Oprah and her company?

Harpo get the money but I would think it would be a "Hollywood Accounting" type pre-agreed arrangement where they receive no appearance "fee" but will be entitled to say a percentage of the advertising revenue from it. They can then legitimately say they received no payment but they still make, pardon the pun, royalties. Like an A list star who usually get’s $20 million salary for a film but who doesn’t take a salary and thus doesn’t get paid but they get a significant portion of the box office gross which can make them tens of millions.

Boards is nothing like Facebook or Twitter,

Yes it is. Whats the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

anewme wrote: »
    So wicked Meghan has corrupted poor Harry?

You were quite vocal here yesterday in backing Piers Morgan and calling Meghan a liar.

Now that ended well for PM with his embsrassing childish flounce off.

And as for calling people liars, you dont know the first thing about her mental health and it says more about your own prejudice that you deem yourself fit to comment.

I don’t believe her suicidal claim..

Big deal..

Get over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Well, think about it. How many "non white" people would Harry have in his (very) closed and carefully selected circle of friends and contacts? Like most of us- very very few and like 99% of his here- none at all.

The British Army is not exactly a bastion of tolerance and openness either. Harry's time in the Army was carefully managed and he was kept very safe.

Well he had a few "little Paki friends" and "ragheads" (his own terms) as army pals

acequion wrote: »
    I really take exception to your tone! How absolutely dare you rubbish my point of view and call my statements "staggeringly stupid and callous." You know ABSOLUTELY nothing about me but actuallyI never read the daily mail and happen to know more about depression and being suicidal than I care to say here on a public forum

Cant speak for the other poster, but for most people the cut off is calling people liars when the speak out about mental health.
    So someone says, I'm concerned for my mental health, the response should never be, you are a liar or I dont believe you. The risk is just to high.

I know they are celebrities, but that does not make it any more appropriate. When you look back now, the media shots of Brittany Spears having a public breakdown should never have been printed.

Unfortunately, there are not too many of us who have not had some kind of depression/mental health at our door. So we should be conscious that it can manifest itself very differently. I know someone who did not take a persons behaviour seriously (attention seeking) and it ended very badly.

walshb wrote: »
    I don’t believe her suicidal claim..

Big deal..

Get over it...

You seem to have a vendetta against her, similar to the one Piers did.

So you dont know why Harry s gone strange, but you've no abuse for him, only her.?

Says a lot.

Very telling.

sebdavis wrote: »
    Yes it is. Whats the difference?

Do I really need to explain it to you surely you can work it out ?

• Advertisement

Do I really need to explain it to you surely you can work it out ?

You said it was different, so please explain why it is different. As I said twitter/facebook and boards are all the same. No difference in my opinion at all.

Advertisement