Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

He really didn’t think this thing through too much ,did he ? Just take the money today and worry about it tomorrow -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Yep it will be that X 100 when it’s eventually released

• Registered Users Posts: 17,046 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Poor Hasbeen won't be remembered for his intellect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The palace are really in panic mode - the amount of hit pieces they have towards Meghan and Harry is ridiculous. I see Maxwell has given an interview from her cell calling Prince Andrew her ‘dear friend’. He’s still walking around palaces living off taxpayers money. The latest series of The Crown seems to have upset the Palace & Government in the U.K. as it makes them and Charles look bad. Charles seems poor from the off as King, gaffes, pengate and more concerned with making Camilla Queen without consort than duty. Quick look over there for another Meghan and Harry are awful piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The Netflix documentary has been put on 'pause'. They really have the worst luck.

The expected content with the Royal Family didn’t materialise. Granny banned cameras from private family gatherings.

I’d say there’s massive negotiations going on behind the scenes with H&M - there’s reports that Harry’s book and the Netflix documentary contradict each other so it’s essentially all a pile of poo.

And if true, if Harry’s book ever sees the light of day, I’ll bet the content of the current version of the H&M Netflix documentary will be leaked just to undermine the book

• Advertisement

At this point Netflix could ring Peter “The Crown” Morgan, give him some money to create a multi-episode drama series about, say, the circumstances surrounding Megxit and it could be written, cast, filmed and released before any Sussex produced Netflix content ever reaches screens. The only reason they got a sniff at a Netflix deal was because they are Royal. It certainly wasn’t borne out of their dynamic history of producing engaging content. The chickens are now coming home to roost for Netflix because it was a speculative investment which just won’t pay off. No doubt missing the boat regarding the Oprah interview was a source of frustration at Netflix i.e. that was peak Sussex and it has been downhill since then with Netflix coming away empty handed. They might have fancy titles but in the arena of competitive streaming pumping and dumping that means nothing i.e. publish or perish.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

From the sounds of it, the Netflix deal was well into the negotiations stage a good year or so before they announced they were leaving. Everyone, right down to the dogs on the street knew that the pitch was more than likely to give cameras the kind of access behind royal doors that had never been granted before - hence the millions flung at the proposed project and the pair bringing it to the table.

I mean if the second son of the future king is telling you that your camera crew can follow them around as they hang out with family, you'd believe them. It was probably envisaged as a kind of Keeping up with the Mountbatten-Windsors and had the idea borne fruit, it would have been explosive in terms of ratings.

But the dogs on the street also knew that the Royals are very protective and sensitive of the little bit of privacy they can carve out for themselves and would never let a camera crew film them with their family dramas playing out on telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

If Netflix ever thought they were going to get that kind of fly on the wall, behind the scenes type footage of the Royal Family they deserve to lose millions for their naivety.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Ah here, the Royal Family are no stranger to reality tv, especially one that was an absolute failure. Maybe some of you are too young to remember The Grand Knockout Tournament. It was a charity tv show created by Edward back in the 80's - himself, Anne, Andrew and Fergie had their own teams with other celebrities. If I remember rightly, Andy had Jimmy Saville on his team.

Edward was the originally Harry, but true to form, Edward dropped out.

That was different. It was a game show. What Netflix is after is fly on the wall access to the senior Royals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

There is a 4 part fly on the wall documentary already on YouTube about the day to day life of the royals… and the Queen herself features quite heavily in it going about her business!

It’s about 15 years old now but well worth the watch if anyone is interested!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I remember that sh!t-show! It was for charity, which I think made it a bit more of a palatable idea to the masses, but it also was probably part of a drive to make the RF seem more accessible and ordinary as well. But yes it was awful and was probably the first thing everyone in the family thought of when they found out about the Netflix deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,142 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Perhaps part of the pitch to Netflix was akin to Harry invoking the modern version of Prince Philips championing of "The Royal Family" back in 1969. Giving an insight to the public in the style of a documentary. That documentary was watched by millions and was sold abroad. There was (and is) an audience for anything Royal. Netflix giving a deal where exclusivity of any such content incorporating the broader family would make blockbuster sums such as the touted $100 million make sense. It'll cost ya kind of thing while an agreed portion of any money made would be sunk into Royal foundations via quid pro quo. A crucial condition to such a deal may have been that relations between them all, despite Megxit, were still civil and co-operative but as we saw the execs at Netflix must have been livid with the optics of the Oprah interview i.e. not only were they denied rights to such a broadcast but, in parallel, the broader family would now surely be uncooperative considering they were being thrown under the bus at the same time. In fairness to Harry and Meghan I think the Oprah/CBS deal pre-dated negotiations with Netflix and they were not only contractually (legally) obliged to give her the exclusive but had to come up with the goods as well so to speak i.e. attempting to convince the wordly wise audience that the tabloids are toxic and mean just isn't enough. As such the megabucks Netflix deal now hinges on a documentary, a (now cancelled) animated show and a "docuseries"? I'm not buying that there was so much money given to them as releasing any such money had cast iron conditions attached. The irony now is that the fumbling and attention stoking hypocrisy of Harry and Meghan in itself has a value, a value which hired editors may get their hands on to create the uber-woke-celeb version of This is Spinal Tap (e.g. walking a red carpet with tens of people clapping). It would be a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Top headline on the Mail page, above all that 'boring' political nonsense!

• Advertisement

Archived version.

"We’re trusting our story to someone else, and that means it will go through their lens." i.e. Netflix are not open to edits being made. We know the content contradicts content in Harrys book and, since his publishers also aren't backing down either then docuseries director Liz Garbus will be thrown under a bus because she authored the show and some attempt at containing our lies must be made. Meghan was also too trusting (and thus misrepresented) for The Cut article as well. Damage control.

The Queen a great leader but what she lead was toxic and racist? The gift that keeps on giving.

Post edited by valoren on

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Indeed it was. But, the Royals had control. Netflix thought THEY would have control over Harry and Meghan’s content.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

I thought this comment was even more telling about The Cut article for NY Magazine :

"......with New York Magazine, which some found to be snarky. What has it been like to open up about your life now?The [New York] story was intended to support “Archetypes” and focus on our projects. I’ve had some time to reflect on it. Part of me is just really trusting, really open — that’s how I move in the world. I have to remember that I don’t ever want to become so jaded that that piece of me goes away. So despite any of those things? Onward. I can survive it."

So she is basically rolling back on her comments on that article, blaming the journalist for mis representing her. She is unbelievable, most people would stop shooting their mouth off to publications but here she is back with another one. Its everyone else's fault she is portrayed incorrectly, even when they are quoting her.

I dont think the netflix docuseries will portray them badly, the director is a staunch supporter of women, she will likely deliver on what Meghan wants, they are producing it. Of course it wont stop her blaming the director and netflix if it is badly received. Lets see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

She has already made comments distancing herself from the Netflix documentary. I guess Netflix didn't give in to their demands to change it and they know they look bad. Someone else's fault once again 🙄

Garbus has locked her Twitter account. Throwing the director under the bus at this stage, before the series has even been released is beyond thick. Garbus will be overseeing the editing and, as director, setting the tone of the series. She can, through the art that is editing/post production, alter that tone at any time. Now she knows Meghan will stab her in the back at the first opportunity if the documentary gets slated/results in repercussions for the Sussexes and the idiot sugars will inevitably blame Garbus for any failure since it hasn't even come out and she (co-incidentally) locks her Twitter.

The palace & Charles are clearly holding off on any potential titles for the kids until they see what dirt has been dished, or what also might be likely is that that decision was already made by the Queen before her death, so being critical of the decision means slagging off dead granny.

And I'd imagine that rattled Harry and Meghan quite a bit along with the promotion of William and Catherine to Prince & Princess of Wales, and the duchy worth billions with it's hefty annual income that used to have to support their 3 households and now only has to support Williams household. That must sting even if Granny did leave them a few quid in the will. Dad might have been happy to slip them a few million every once in a while but I don't think William is that daft or soft.

Their cash cow is basically flogged to death now. Anything juicy has been said, and any further criticisms of how they were treated by the palace back then will be translated into them criticising the management decisions of a dead icon, and that's not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

absolute incineration

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement