Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

To be honest I think it was the security detail that really put him over the edge.

Imagine for your whole life always being told you couldn't go anywhere without security detail because of xyz risk.

Then being told actually no more security detail for you, xyz risk still exist , best of luck. ....to me that's a throw you to the wolves move, we no longer care about your welfare.

Knowing full well the mirror/mail were following them in Canada.

The tabloids were shredding his wife , just as they shredded his mother.

The risk of history repeating itself is pretty real, especially to him...if it can happen to my mother...it can happen to my wife. Etc.

Harry has over the years been pretty outspoken about his disdain for the tabloids, I can't help but think they've hounded Meghan as some sort of retribution as they know better than attack Harry.

I think Harry naively thought he could do some duties in the queens name in canada, probably have canadian security detail and move on with life away from the british press.

That didn't work out, so he has left his world for hers.

The security is tax payer funded, if you don't fulfil the role you can't expect the perks and ons.

I can just imaging emailing HR and stating I no longer have any interest in my work but to keep the salary payments coming please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Look, it is all a big conspiracy to get Covid off the headlines.

or Prince Andrew

If Harry really felt upset by losing his security detail, it just proves how completely out of touch he is!

The Royal family have no input into the details of their security, it is provided by British Police, risk assessments done by police and protection details compiled by police.
    If he really thought that British Police were just going to supply and pay for his security while he lived in Canada, that's extraordinarily naive.
    To believe that Canadian police would supply security for him and his family forever also shows complete detachment from reality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

To be honest I think it was the security detail that really put him over the edge.

Imagine for your whole life always being told you couldn't go anywhere without security detail because of xyz risk.

Then being told actually no more security detail for you, xyz risk still exist , best of luck. ....to me that's a throw you to the wolves move, we no longer care about your welfare.

The risk of history repeating itself is pretty real, especially to him...if it can happen to my mother...it can happen to my wife. Etc.

Harry has over the years been pretty outspoken about his disdain for the tabloids, I can't help but think they've hounded Meghan as some sort of retribution as they know better than attack Harry.

I think Harry naively thought he could do some duties in the queens name in canada, probably have canadian security detail and move on with life away from the british press.

She's a millionaire.
    He's a millionaire.
    Why can't they be expected to pay for their own security?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think it’s a true indictment of their sense of entitlement that they expected or assumed they could keep these things when no longer working royals. If they were stuck for cash and couldn’t afford their own security then I guess buying a $36m mansion beside the likes of Oprah wasn’t such a smart move.

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    or Prince Andrew

Randy Andy kept quiet and let it blow over. That's the interview that should have brought down the merry house of Windsor.

Meghan and Harry just look like entitled brats crying because granny won't sunsidise their lifestyle when they claimed to want independence and freedom.

I think it’s a true indictment of their sense of entitlement that they expected or assumed they could keep these things when no longer working royals. If they were stuck for cash and couldn’t afford their own security then I guess buying a $36m mansion beside the likes of Oprah wasn’t such a smart move.

And he did know because both his mother and aunt lost their security along with their HRH titles.

He can't seriously be that dim surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

They are wealthy people and independent of the Royal family so I don't see why his dad should support them financially and have their security paid for by the taxpayer. They are both nearly forty. Time to grow up, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I also get the impression they have been itching for an excuse to sever ties. So they resorted to all sorts of preceived grievances to justify their move to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

acequion wrote: »
    Sigh 100 times. No point talking to some people it seems :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thank heaven for the ignore list.

Aah, if only there was an ignore list in real life, alas, people in the public eye don't get that luxury!

Work away anyway, wishing you have a happy, healthy life.

• Advertisement

I also get the impression they have been itching for an excuse to sever ties. So they resorted to all sorts of preceived grievances to justify their move to the US.

Funny thing is, I doubt anyone would think twice if they actually just wanted to step back, live independently.
    They probably would have a lot of support.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

And he did know because both his mother and aunt lost their security along with their HRH titles.

Sadly I think he might be.

I get the feeling that as the second son and favoured grandson, he got away with an awful lot of entitled behaviour. That's ok because he was a working royal, bringing in good PR with his tours as a soldier, the Invictus initiatives and the other things where he did a good job of making his family look good. In return they hushed up that thing in Vegas, and other similar shenanigans he got up to in his younger years.
    It's only when he thought he could cherry pick parts of the royal status, and ignore the duties that comes with it did he find out otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It is incredibly dangerous rhetoric to dismiss someone else's experience as merely "attention seeking". She might not read it here, but someone else will. You can dislike her all you like based on one interview, or whatever you've read in the tabloids, but to call her a liar in regards to her mental health is not only stupid, but incredibly callous. Now bring on the faux outrage!

Incredibly dangerous, all the time?

This is nonsense

If this was the case, then no person could air any view ever here.

We all just have to always believe these claims...?

In this instance I am not ready to believe Meghan. I believe that she has hammed this up for maximum effect..

And I have actual reasons: It's not just flat out I don't believe her...

She went straight to suicide/death........that didn't sit with me at all.

No mention of sadness, upset, hurt, feeling let down

No journey here whatsoever.....

Straight to the sensational angle that she knew would generate news..

I think she would have garnered a lot more sympathy-understanding had she been subtle, less in your face here, and more reserved. In other words, normal.

Neyite wrote: »
    Sadly I think he might be.

I get the feeling that as the second son and favoured grandson, he got away with an awful lot of entitled behaviour. That's ok because he was a working royal, bringing in good PR with his tours as a soldier, the Invictus initiatives and the other things where he did a good job of making his family look good. In return they hushed up that thing in Vegas, and other similar shenanigans he got up to in his younger years.
    It's only when he thought he could cherry pick parts of the royal status, and ignore the duties that comes with it did he find out otherwise.

He's gotten a rude awakening then, if they split up he's going to be out on his own in America or hidden away from public view in a royal residence like Andrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

It was UK government, who withdrew security paid by taxpayers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Multipass wrote: »
    She didn’t want to be out though, don’t you remember what they wanted when they got to Canada - their titles, a few gigs back in the uk when they chose, the Sussex royals brand name! People have short memories.

Yes they were willing to still do some of the work but needed to get away from the nasty press and the lack of support for them.
    I will say one thing I will never buy a tabloid paper or even look at them ever again after this. I very rarely buy them now anyway but this is the last straw.
    And the money and security. Everything really except the "work"
    I would say they had no problem with the work if you would even call it that if they had been probably protected and respected too. She was stuck in a house for 4 months before Covid by the way and only allowed out twice. As she said She was everywhere yet she was nowhere. So can you blame then really. I say fair play to them. They are better out of that horrible stuck up, backwards, maybe even racist institution anyway.
    I think they are a lovely very sincere and open couple and it would be a pleasure to meet them someday.

Diana lost the HRH at her own request (supposedly) Sarah Ferguson is still HRH.

If they stayed working they would have kept their security.
    Also, no-one actually stopped her leaving, she was not a prisoner.

Diana lost the HRH at her own request (supposedly) Sarah Ferguson is still HRH.

Nope, wrong on both counts.

AMKC wrote: »
    I know for one I certainly would not like that life either where you have no freedom or say in your day to day life and where you do not even hold your own passport or driving license and where there is no help for anyone with mental health problems.

That is were I find this interview completely twisted. It sounded like she was a victim of trafficking or else...

Rich people hand their passport to PA, who deal with booking flights etc, the same is with driving licence. Why would she need it, if she probably had a designated driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

bubblypop wrote: »
    Funny thing is, I doubt anyone would think twice if they actually just wanted to step back, live independently.
    They probably would have a lot of support.

...which makes the relevance of this entire interview all the more peculiar. Why...what have they achieved?

They moan and complain about the press but then they just toss out an unlimited supply of red meat. The irony seems to be completely lost on the both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Can't wait for the big interview/tell all scoop after the inevitable divorce between these two.

To quote Bachmann turner overdrive.."Baby you ain't seen nothing yet"

He's gotten a rude awakening then, if they split up he's going to be out on his own in America or hidden away from public view in a royal residence like Andrew.

I think he is realising now that he is the biggest victim of this interview.

He is an adult man.

Why he didn't call help for her mental issues?

Why he repeated private conversation without checking, that maybe, what he heard, was not what had been said? Especially, if it was hurtful to her?

Why he didn't take her anywhere for 4 months? Or why he didn't facilitate her meeting with her friends (if she has such).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

JoChervil wrote: »
    That is were I find this interview completely twisted. It sounded like she was a victim of trafficking or else...

Rich people hand their passport to PA, who deal with booking flights etc, the same is with driving licence. Why would she need it, if she probably had a designated driver?

She didn’t need her passport anymore. I doubt she was going to be queuing up at customs any time soon. As for her licence, you regularly see Royals out driving so I’ve no idea what that’s about. Kate is the future Queen and is often seen out driving so no idea what Meghan is on about. Again, all framed to present a victim narrative but I’m sure there are logical reasons behind it all

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think he is realising now that he is the biggest victim of this interview.

He is an adult man.

Why he didn't call help for her mental issues?

Why he repeated private conversation without checking, that maybe, what he heard, was not what had been said? Especially, if it was hurtful to her?

Why he didn't take her anywhere for 4 months? Or why he didn't facilitate her meeting with her friends (if she has such).

The answers to all that could be very simple......it's all made up contrived bull?

Hammed up and blown way out of proportion...

Nope, wrong on both counts.

Correction. Sarah lost hers 3 months after her divorce, due to a legal change. Diana lost hers on her divorce.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Royals don't queue up at passport control like us plebs. There's a car that meets them at the foot of the plane steps and they get whisked away. Or that a staff member goes to the passport control with all the passports, does what needs to be done and gets them safely returned while the royals are busy shaking hands with the waiting dignitaries, I dunno.

It makes sense that those who are making the travel arrangements have all passports securely held in a quickly accessible location to help with the processing of paperwork. It's probably to avoid a situation where a staff member arranging a trip, needs the passport asap but Meghan is in Balmoral and the passport is in Kensington in her knicker drawer, and Harry hasn't the foggiest where he put his.

Anyway, she had no passport issue flying back and forth to see her mother, or for her baby shower, nor on any of the overseas royal engagements she had, so it sounds like she was able to access it whenever she needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I kind of see both sides in regards to the security. Like yes, they should have expected to cover their own expenses when they stepped down as senior members of the family but the circumstances in which they stepped down should also be factored in.

There was deafening silence when it came to any sort of defence or public support from the Royal family for Meghan and Harry after their wedding and while she was pregnant.
    If the palace had spoken up on their behalf, and showed some solidarity, it may never have gotten to the point where they felt they had no choice but to leave.

Cause I actually think she loved the duchess lifestyle and all that came with it, she loved the fuss of the commonwealth tours and public appearances and so on. She loved the title & the privilege of being in the family.
    I believe her when she said she would have been quite happy to plod along and do that forever.
    I don’t think she had some grand scheme from day one to pull Harry away from his family at all.
    I think she completely bought into the whole thing.

So the lack of public support from the Palace when it came to defending them to the media meant that the Sussex’s felt unsafe and in danger, even after they had stepped down.
    By that logic, considering the huge amount of negative attention they were receiving that was going completely unchallenged by the Palace, I can see why they thought the family might at least help protect them with security.
    And I can see why Harry was hurt and offended when that was denied.
    Because whether he’s a senior member of the family or not, he is still the Prince and the son of a future King, one of the most famous and well known Royals in the world, and if he is being threatened he should be entitled to security and protection.

It doesn’t sit right with me that the family could clearly see the abuse they were getting, I’m talking about the hateful & abhorrent comments particularly about Archie under articles here. And yet they still didn’t offer any help or public support.
    Cause lord knows they can find taxpayers money to indulge in however many other frivolous endeavours, so protecting the safety of the future Kings grandson shouldn’t have been a big deal.

AMKC wrote: »
    I think they are a lovely very sincere and open couple and it would be a pleasure to meet them someday.

Do you often feel that way about celebs on the TV?
    I've never seen a less sincere person on the TV to be honest, I'm referring to Meghan btw. Looked like an act to me. A fairly poor one but she's not of Oscar nomination standard in her previous profession iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I find it amusing so many people here seem to know more about the inner workings of the royal family 'firm' than the two people who were actually in it!

It's gas.

Advertisement