Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I find it amusing so many people here seem to know more about the inner workings of the royal family 'firm' than the two people who were actually in it!

It's gas.

It's even more gas that a guy who was born into it and lived within it all his life is suddenly up in arms and blind sided about how it operates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

I also get the impression they have been itching for an excuse to sever ties. So they resorted to all sorts of preceived grievances to justify their move to the US.

I think it was very manipulative to make the racism accusation and not give any details on what exactly was said, considering they weren't even naming the person.

For all we know Harry and Meghan could have said 'imagine how amazing it will be when we have the first child of colour born into the royal family. It will be hugely significant for people in the commonwealth to see someone like them in the royal household' and the person may have replied that Harry is very pale and Meghan is not exactly dark toned so it might not be obvious unless they constantly bring it up themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

acequion wrote: »
    Sorry now but you need to either a] get a grip, b] get over it, c]take a step back and realise you're taking it all too seriously and too personally, or preferably a combination of all three.

At no point did I call the woman a "barefaced liar." Your words. At no point did I make "wild and unfounded allegations." Again your words. To say you're not siding with Meghan and Harry has actually nearly made me choke on my morning coffee, such is my astonishment.

Your extreme over reaction to my reaction to a hugely famous celebrity couple who chose to whinge and whine in public, accuse their family of racism, show disloyalty [on Harry's part] to your blood family without much thought, it appears, to how hurtful that is, is all more an indictment of your mentality than mine.

I also don't agree that there has been an "obvious orchestrated vendetta" against Meghan. I've noticed little of strong hatred or hostility towards the woman and I wait with interest for all you Meghan defenders to post really clear examples from the media of this unprovoked hate campaign.

In the meantime I suggest you calm down, maybe get yourself a morning coffee. I'm off to pour myself another cup and then get back to matters of real life and I won't be engaging with you again.

I believe my post was very civil and calm to you and your reaction is like Piers Morgan yesterday :pac:

You complained at another poster and when I tried to explain why it could be viewed that way, you went off at me :pac:

You said you did not believe what Meghan said that she was suicidal. That's calling the woman a barefaced liar.

No one gets to have 'an opinion' on another persons mental health. Saying someone who has said they considered suicide is a liar is a very serious. That kind of attitude is why there is still a stigma on mental health in 2021 and so many people do not not come forward.

The morning coffee comments are very odd, maybe check your cup. It's too early for Irish coffee :D

I find it amusing so many people here seem to know more about the inner workings of the royal family 'firm' than the two people who were actually in it!

It's gas.

You could put it another way, do we take for granted the words of two people on a vendetta looking to get payback on prime time TV at an institution they have publicly scorned and disassociated with? I'm sure some of what they were saying is true but presented in a menacing context when it was actually designed to be beneficial for them?

JoChervil wrote: »
    I think he is realising now that he is the biggest victim of this interview.

He is an adult man.

Why he didn't call help for her mental issues?

Why he repeated private conversation without checking, that maybe, what he heard, was not what had been said? Especially, if it was hurtful to her?

I took it this way as well, particularly in respect of telling her back the nasty comments.

There was no need to do that, only hurt her. He should have taken on the person who made the comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's even more gas that a guy who was born into it and lived within it all his life is suddenly up in arms and blind sided about how it operates.

And for a couple who stated financial independence as one of their aims to complain about being financially cut off and forced to sign deals worth millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

anewme wrote: »

That kind of attitude is why there is still a stigma on mental health in 2021 and so many people do not not come forward.

I can't really take you serious here. Have you been living under a rock the past few years

Mental Health is absolutely raging in "popularity" the past few years...so much so, that it has been completely diluted

You have gone from people rarely talking about it to people not being able to shut up talking about it.,.,...no middle ground or common senses with it any more

The whole area has been done a disservice with the OTT clamoring of people to tell people of their struggles....

So much now is down to pure attention seeking and looking for likes and past on the back and all that.....

People are making careers and livings out of telling others about their mental health......

Of course, there are genuine cases. I'd like to think people can spot a lot of the nonsense and attention seeking.

walshb wrote: »
    I can't really take you serious here. Have you been living under a rock the past few years

Mental Health is absolutely raging in "popularity" the past few years...so much so, that it has been completely diluted

You have gone from people rarely talking about it to people not being able to shut up talking about it.,.,...no middle ground or common senses with it any more

The whole area has been done a disservice with the OTT clamoring of people to tell people of their struggles....

So much now is down to pure attention seeking and looking for likes and past on the back and all that.....

People are making careers and livings out of telling others about their mental health......

Of course, there are genuine cases. I'd like to think people can spot a lot of the nonsense and attention seeking.

To say mental health is raging in popularity shows its your views that should not be taken seriously on the topic.

Mental health charities have spoken out about Piers Morgan for his stance yesterday,

I know a case where a person was dismissed as being attention seeking when they had mental health issues. Concerns raised by others were dismissed. The person labelled attention seeker is no longer with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Well, think about it. How many "non white" people would Harry have in his (very) closed and carefully selected circle of friends and contacts? Like most of us- very very few and like 99% of his here- none at all.

The British Army is not exactly a bastion of tolerance and openness either. Harry's time in the Army was carefully managed and he was kept very safe.
    Well he had a few "little Paki friends" and "ragheads" (his own terms) as army pals
    And they were his friends so clearly didn't take as much offence as you seem to. I love white people feeling offended on behalf of non-whites. Could there be anything more condescending and inadvertently racist?

Sorry , forgot the little sarcasm smily thing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Augeo wrote: »
    Do you often feel that way about celebs on the TV?
    I've never seen a less sincere person on the TV to be honest, I'm referring to Meghan btw. Looked like an act to me. A fairly poor one but she's not of Oscar nomination standard in her previous profession iirc.
    No not at all. In fact I do not care much for actors of celebrities these days. There was a time when I followed a lot of them maybe not them all but not any more. There is just far to many now that's it's impossible. In fact it has gone very like horse racing. I have never understood how someone could follow a horse or trainer in horse racing there is just far to many and they are constantly changing. You would think they would be out of names by now for them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

She didn’t need her passport anymore. I doubt she was going to be queuing up at customs any time soon. As for her licence, you regularly see Royals out driving so I’ve no idea what that’s about. Kate is the future Queen and is often seen out driving so no idea what Meghan is on about. Again, all framed to present a victim narrative but I’m sure there are logical reasons behind it all

I'd imagine it's a security thing.
    Probably in case her wallet was stolen or lost.
    Probably standard for all the royal family.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mental health charities have spoken out about Piers Morgan for his stance yesterday,

Of course they have. That is their job

And Meghan knew well that the mental health card would be one that if anyone dared disbelieve or question her on, they would be vilified. Very clever!

Morgan simply said that he doesn't believe her claim

That doesn't mean he, or anyone else disbelieves all claims...

Has it gone to the point where me must believe all claims, and not be wary of any, in fear of being labeled heartless or insensitive?

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    I think it was very manipulative to make the racism accusation and not give any details on what exactly was said, considering they weren't even naming the person.

For all we know Harry and Meghan could have said 'imagine how amazing it will be when we have the first child of colour born into the royal family. It will be hugely significant for people in the commonwealth to see someone like them in the royal household' and the person may have replied that Harry is very pale and Meghan is not exactly dark toned so it might not be obvious unless they constantly bring it up themselves.

IMO it sounds just like casual comment within a family discussion but by mentioning it at all it is completely taking it out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

I took it this way as well, particularly in respect of telling her back the nasty comments.

There was no need to do that, only hurt her. He should have taken on the person who made the comments.

I believe that the early fallout between Harry and William were caused by said racist remarks and is why there is such a huge breakdown in their communication. It was publicly stated that William did not agree with marriage. Naturally Harry would have explained fallout to Meghan. I do think Harry would have preferred this to have remained private but so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bewareofthedog

This whole ordeal was caused by the royals tendency to be too honorable, and also something to do with the inability to sweat.

I'd imagine it's a security thing.
    Probably in case her wallet was stolen or lost.
    Probably standard for all the royal family.

It's because they have staff I'd imagine, you'd never get close enough to them to steal their personal belongings.

You don't see them lugging their bags into the airport or queueing to board a flight either.

juno10353 wrote: »
    I believe that the early fallout between Harry and William were caused by said racist remarks and is why there is such a huge breakdown in their communication. It was publicly stated that William did not agree with marriage. Naturally Harry would have explained fallout to Meghan. I do think Harry would have preferred this to have remained private but so be it

I thought William had cautioned about him rushing into marriage. I can't help but feel that Harry was a bit desparate to rush into a marriage with the first strong woman who came along.

I hate to say this about someone who lost their morther so publically at such a young age but I have always felt that Harry IMO has mummy issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

...which makes the relevance of this entire interview all the more peculiar. Why...what have they achieved?

They moan and complain about the press but then they just toss out an unlimited supply of red meat. The irony seems to be completely lost on the both of them.

To put their side.of the story across? Aside from the British tabloids, fervent royalists and weirdly, this Irish forum, they seem to have illicited a lot of support, especially across the pond.

I think a lot of people are empathetic to the hell they went through with the scummy press and the likes of the rabid Piers Morgan. Before this interview, I don't think they've ever publicly spoken about how it's affected them, so as a once off interview, I don't see a problem with it. They didn't, as far as I could make out, diss the Queen or anyone really, besides the institution (run largely it seems by high up admin staff). Diana said many of the same things, but it appears these two are being accused of fabricating much if it for some reason.

That Charles is a somewhat distant father shouldn't come as some major surprise to anybody, he himself was brought up by nannies and was a cold husband and it was already widely reported that William and himself had drifted apart, so again, no big exclusive there.

I admit, I don't get the mostly negative reaction to the interview on here. I don't think they've said or done anything wrong and I genuinely wish them health and happiness going forward.
    I guess I've never gotten over the sight of little Harry trudging for miles along behind his mum's hearse in full public view. It was such a heartbreaking sight, so if he's found happiness in his life, I have no problem with him grabbing it with both hands. The posts on here gleefully looking forward to their divorce says more about those posters than it does about this couple imo.

juno10353 wrote: »
    I'd imagine most couples are honest with each other too and don't let their partners trust or endure false affection from someone they know has a poor opinion of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I just saw a clip of an interview Sarah Ferguson gave to Oprah about the royal family back in the 90’s. So it wasn’t just Meghan and Diana that spoke out, it seems.

I mean they can’t all be lying, scheming, attention seekers.

• Advertisement

The last time a senior royal bailed out of the family, it was a king abdicating. That was in 1936. Perhaps they were rusty on how the process worked, seeing as it's not a common practice. Perhaps both parties could have been clearer in what was involved and expected.

Or maybe they could have always asked someone on here, seems to be experts all over the shop! 😉

To put their side.of the story across? Aside from the British tabloids, fervent royalists and weirdly, this Irish forum, they seem to have illicited a lot of support, especially across the pond.

...by trashing their own family in front of the world? Not cool.

I see nothing to be gained by that plus I was not aware or familiar with any negative briefings coming directly from Harry's family. It's their choice to get precious about tabloid gossip. They can just ignore it.

The vast majority of people take anything that comes out in the media (esp tabloids) with a large pinch of salt. They are picking a battle that they will never win.

It's nothing more than entertainment and idle gossip for the hair salons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

No one gets to have 'an opinion' on another persons mental health. Saying someone who has said they considered suicide is a liar is a very serious. That kind of attitude is why there is still a stigma on mental health in 2021 and so many people do not not come forward.

:D

Rubbish. Absolute hysterical rubbish! Especially when so very much taken out of context and when the posts you don't like have been very much twisted..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Do you often feel that way about celebs on the TV?
    I've never seen a less sincere person on the TV to be honest, I'm referring to Meghan btw. Looked like an act to me. A fairly poor one but she's not of Oscar nomination standard in her previous profession iirc.
    I totally disagree like it looking.like an act.

It was very sincere and real. She went through these things. How could you not see that? Why would she lie about it?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I just saw a clip of an interview Sarah Ferguson gave to Oprah about the royal family back in the 90’s. So it wasn’t just Meghan and Diana that spoke out, it seems.

Iirc correctly Sarah Ferguson still lives in some RF set up, with her ex ( :pac: ) .
    So despite whatever she was speaking out about she didn't leave the set up even after divorce.

I'd not be quick to say she's not a bit of a schemer really.

SusieBlue wrote: »

I'd say it's only a certain section of society who want to marry into the royal family to begin with and its not for their stunning looks or personalities. Do you think listening to just one party of failed marriages and relationships is a good, unbiased research design?

AMKC wrote: »
    I totally disagree like it looking.like an act.

It was very sincere and real. She went through these things. How could you not see that? Why would she lie about it?

'If I don't get uniformly positive coverage and headlines from now on, my blood is on your hands'.

...by trashing their own family in front of the world? Not cool.

I see nothing to be gained by that plus I was not aware or familiar with any negative briefings coming directly from Harry's family. It's their choice to get precious about tabloid gossip. They can just ignore it.

The vast majority of people take anything that comes out in the media (esp tabloids) with a large pinch of salt. They are picking a battle that they will never win.

It's nothing more than entertainment and idle gossip for the hair salons.

Trashing their family? How? I don't get this point of view at all. Most families have some issues, so what? Like I said, it's no secret how Charles can be somewhat distant and it was already widely reported that he and his brother had drifted apart, as many siblings do when their lives diverge.

It's very easy to say ignore tabloid gossip when you're not a target of it yourself. I can imagine it could take a great toll on someone after a while, but maybe some people are tougher than others.

acequion wrote: »
    Rubbish. Absolute hysterical rubbish! Especially when so very much taken out of context and when the posts you don't like have been very much twisted..

Did you not say did not believe Meghan what she said about her mental health? If you did not, that's calling her a liar.

No further contact needed on that one.

Nothing hysterical from me either.

• Advertisement

Iirc correctly Sarah Ferguson still lives in some RF set up, with her ex ( :pac: ) .
    So despite whatever she was speaking out about she didn't leave the set up even after divorce.

I'd not be quick to say she's not a bit of a schemer really.

And got caught selling access to her ex husband.

Advertisement