Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

paw patrol wrote: »
    this isn't true.
    he wasn't involved . unless you have more proof.

he lost his job at mirror cos he published fake allegations about British soldiers abusing Iraqis.
    Some soldiers sold him some fake pics - they were caught cos the vehicle in the pics wasn't used in Iraq by the British

as editor he was aware criminality was going on, and did nothing about it. he should have been put to the wall for this. i don't know how he got away with it

https://www.discoverleveson.com/levesonarticle/2/Leveson%20Report%200780_ii#page=187

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

I don't think she was talking to either of her half siblings well before the wedding....I'm thinking a decade ....I don't think they went to her first wedding either. ...so I don't see why they would have expected an invite.

She says she was brought up as an only child and I can see how, I've the same age gap between my siblings and they had all moved out by the time I was 10....we have the same parents but we are not overly close, we've very little in common and we don't have shared "growing up" stories. If I was only half a sibling I'd say I'd know them even less, especially if we'd the same dad....mothers tend to stay closer to their children.

Her sister samantha doesn't talk to her own mother or father. Doesn't talk to the brother either ..is estranged from her 3 kids.....I'm not sure it's entirely Meghan's fault that relationship hasn't worked.

I'm not sure how much of a relationship she had with her brother to begin with, he's alot older than her. ...I think his issue with Meghan is she didn't bail the father out when he filed for bankruptcy after blowing a 750k lotto win.

The father won't shut up talking to the press then has a pity me act, no one briefed me on how to act.....keep your mouth shut would be a good starting point....he's now saying he'll give interviews every 30 days until she speaks to him......at this stage I think he sees his daughter as a "cash cow" ( yeah I know lots of you are going to latch onto the cow bit) rather than a daughter....if my father was selling stories about me I'm not sure if be keeping his company either.

She is still very close to her mum.

Is it really any different to what she is doing? She was interviewed by Vanity Fair (I think?) in the early days of their relationship and it's headline was something like Mad about Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

acequion wrote: »
    No I don't believe Meghan. As is my complete right to believe or not believe. Am I calling her a liar? If you want, though it's obvious you're trying to pin me into a narrow corner with faux outrage at the idea of calling someone a liar.

What makes you think have the "right" to call someone you've never met a liar without any evidence to support your claim? Talk about entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Is it really any different to what she is doing? She was interviewed by Vanity Fair (I think?) in the early days of their relationship and it's headline was something like Mad about Harry.

Well yeah, it is different she was talking about her life, she had control of what was said....she was selling her story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

cnocbui wrote: »
    How long have you known him and whats he like in person?

We first met durign his Gap year. We are Facebook buddies. He is grand though he can't hold his beer. Never carried any money. Fecker owes me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I'd imagine most couples are honest with each other too and don't let their partners trust or endure false affection from someone they know has a poor opinion of them.

I have different view. I don't repeat hurtful opinions. What's the point? To hurt them? There are different ways to show, where you stand with others.

Most couples are honest with each other and some even share everything because they have that need for complete merging. I am not against it. It's great, when people are that open with each other. But then it works both ways. "I want to share everything with you to feel this entire trust and openness between us. And I trust you won't share it with anyone else" especially with the whole world, what Meghan did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yeah but it's not like leaving Dunnes with a p45.

He's still the son of the future king, he's the brother of a future king and the uncle of a future king.

He stepped back but the press were still following him just like they followed his mum. The fact that that ended in her death he may have felt he was entitled to some level of protection, or his family would want to provide some level of protection.

I'm not saying his point of view is not entitled....but infairness he's a born prince ,brought up on entitlements that's his whole way of life, that is his reality.

While we may scoff at how "dim" or naive that is, he's been buffered all his life. He has been groomed for life in the royal court. He'll obviously be going through an adjustment period, which will probably be abit of a learning curve.

Also comparing how his mum and aunt were treated after they lost their titles is not really a fair comparison...they married into the family...he's part of the bloodline. You would expect a stronger attachment from his family.

Diana courted the press and used it to promote herself too. There was already a backlash against her and she was referred to as "The Queen of Tarts".

That narrative changed in the aftermath of her death and the bizarre public outpouring of grief.

Yes, she was a naive, uneducated and clueless teenage when she married. But she grew into a shrewd and manipulative woman who knew how to play the game.

She was clearly a good mother, but the victim complex was there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

What makes you think have the "right" to call someone you've never met a liar without any evidence to support your claim? Talk about entitlement.

Here we go again. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Calling her a liar is wrong especially as he has no contact with her whatsoever.

He has grave reservations. Fine. He doesn't believe her. Fine. But calling someone a downright liar without any proof or factual basis is bang out of order. He crossed a line. What proof or evidence has he adduced to refute her claims? Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

515edf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Does anyone think Piers might have the persona of a pantomime villain to keep himself in the news?

That maybe, just maybe, he was planning on moving on from his show and went for a dramatic exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

ITV had no choice but to fire Piers and good riddance to him, let's just hope it doesn't open the door to launching him on a bigger platform elsewhere but I suspect that's what he has in mind. ITV launched a mental health campaign last year off the back of a spate of Love Island suicides including Caroline Flack and two other contestants, Piers launching a toxic tirade about how Meghan was "lying" about her suicidal thoughts was basically him handing in his P45, his options were either apologise or quit. A man with an ego his size will never roll back on his point of view.

What's the net result of publicly supporting this idea that someone is "lying" about their mental health issues in an online forum? People at their lowest ebb read it and find another reason not to seek out help, not to tell anyone. Forget about Meghan, she's inconsequential to this bigger point. For a country that has had its fair share of problems with that and with devastating consequences, I'm gonna say keep that thought to yourself if it's a belief you can't get passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You're right, they did. I'm of an age that I remember all that stuff. I was probably more interested in royalty back then then I would be today.

But I think the big difference is that both Diana and Sarah had split from the husbands when they gave those interviews. Harry and Meghan are very much together and I would see his going public like that as a huge betrayal of his blood family. How would any of us feel if our brothers, sons etc went and blabbed our issues to all and sundry?? Surely family problems and what family doesn't have them, should be left in the family!

Also, while I might criticise Meghan, I'm not for one second doubting that marrying into that lot is no picnic. Everyone knows that they're rigid, snobbish, hierarchial, institutional etc surrounded by a team of no nonsense minders that you don't mess with. Even watching The Crown gives a sense of how inflexible an institution they are. BUT, and here's the but, nobody forced Meghan into that role. Nobody made her marry Harry. That it totally didn't work out for her as a royal is indeed sad and unfortunate, but she should lick her wounds with a bit of dignity as we all have to when so many things in life that we go into trustingly don't work out for us. And a bit of counting her many blessings wouldn't go amiss. Practising gratitude is actually a therapy technique to help those depressed, to lift spirits. Someone might suggest it to Meghan!

Exactly

Another thing that is quite clear

Di and Fergie lived the Royal life for years

Markle is all of a wet day in the family and she's on Oprah slagging the in laws...

Unbelievable fakeness for attention....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I'm intrigued at how appalled I actually am. A pair of monumental whingers parading the family's dirty linen in public. Utterly pathetic. You'd be mortified to be related to them!

If I disliked her before I dislike her even more now. I think the woman trivialises being suicidal. Telling Harry she didn't want to be alive anymore and now broadcasting it to the world. She had so much to be grateful for, loving husband, healthy child, comfort and privilege. If she really was suicidal it's a problem of her own psychological make up and lack of fortitude and that's no body else's fault. Shyt happens in everyone's life, you deal with it, you don't go off whingeing to the world. And I just can't believe that anyone would have stopped doctors/therapists to come treat her discreetly at her "cottage" if she really was that depressed.

They're a pair of drama junkies! But I guess they've given us all a bit of much needed escapism. :pac:

Are you actually serious with this shit? Christ on a bike.

I can’t believe people still express sentiments among the lines of “Shure, what have YOU to be depressed about?”. And suggesting that those who suffer from depression are weak-willed. No wonder so many men kill themselves with attitudes like yours still around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

paw patrol wrote: »
    this isn't true.
    he wasn't involved . unless you have more proof.

he lost his job at mirror cos he published fake allegations about British soldiers abusing Iraqis.
    Some soldiers sold him some fake pics - they were caught cos the vehicle in the pics wasn't used in Iraq by the British

Google it, he even warned Charlotte Church to what was going on when he was still running the Mirror.

One thing that I can't quite shake is Harry of late, not that I give a monkeys.

But it wasn't long ago he was parading around at a fancy dress party as a Nazi while his mates were in blackface and KKK outfits. No doubt he was young and foolish but how does one explain this to Meghan, when the subject rears its ugly head?

I find this somewhat... ironic.

DePhOVrW0AA-nGm?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I think I would find having my freedom restricted pretty depressing, being told when I could leave my home and where I was allowed go. No thank you, they have alot of privilege there is no doubt but it comes a huge personal sacrifice and imo not worth it.

bitofabind wrote: »
    ITV had no choice but to fire Piers and good riddance to him, let's just hope it doesn't open the door to launching him on a bigger platform elsewhere but I suspect that's what he has in mind. ITV launched a mental health campaign last year off the back of a spate of Love Island suicides including Caroline Flack and two other contestants, Piers launching a toxic tirade about how Meghan was "lying" about her suicidal thoughts was basically him handing in his P45, his options were either apologise or quit. A man with an ego his size will never roll back on his point of view.

What's the net result of publicly supporting this idea that someone is "lying" about their mental health issues in an online forum? People at their lowest ebb read it and find another reason not to seek out help, not to tell anyone. Forget about Meghan, she's inconsequential to this bigger point. For a country that has had its fair share of problems with that and with devastating consequences, I'm gonna say keep that thought to yourself if it's a belief you can't get passed.

Let’s hope that he’s replaced by someone depending on their ability rather than gender or ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

So this is my final point.In you're that obsessed by me, go back and read all my comments on this matter.

You called another poster who disagreed with you as bearing a grudge, now I am obsessed with you.

Eh, :confused::confused: just no! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

To quote Phil the greek "One does not marry an actress,one step's out with one".and the fact they call him mad ,shows us how dysfunctional this family and their supports are.Harry should have worn his listening ears that day.

• Advertisement

Calling her a liar is wrong especially as he has no contact with her whatsoever.

He has grave reservations. Fine. He doesn't believe her. Fine. But calling someone a downright liar without any proof or factual basis is bang out of order. He crossed a line. What proof or evidence has he adduced to refute her claims? Nothing.

The same evidence that I suppose the people here making the same judgements have I presume!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

I think Meghan does believe what she is saying and thats her point of view which she is entitled to. although saying you are oppressed and silenced and then in one call you can basically force someone to resign confuses me. That is power not powerlessness.

BUT HARRY - seems like a complete ijiot. Saying I was trapped but I didnt know it until Meghan came along. I mean what a fool. Dude you are a prince you are one of the most privileged people on the entire planet (a planet in which a large portion dont have access to clean water, healthcare etc.) and you want us to feel sorry for you.

Come On Dude. Get out of your bubble. Stop doing lame interviews and do something with your privilege instead of preaching to us all the time and victimising yourself.

oh and your family are trapped too you say. maybe you should let them speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Keyzer wrote: »

But it wasn't long ago he was parading around at a fancy dress party as a Nazi while his mates were in blackface and KKK outfits. No doubt he was young and foolish but how does one explain this to Meghan, when the subject rears its ugly head?

She says she never googled him, so probably doesn't know .........

Are you actually serious with this shit? Christ on a bike.

I can’t believe people still express sentiments among the lines of “Shure, what have YOU to be depressed about?”. And suggesting that those who suffer from depression are weak-willed. No wonder so many men kill themselves with attitudes like yours still around.

Terrible that there is still that attitude and stigma towards mental health in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

That's what was the funniest in that interview. And right from the very beginning to make the whole rest believable. You bet...

anewme wrote: »
    The same evidence that I suppose the people here making the same judgements have I presume!

Well, when you are a reasonably well known media personality and with a primetime morning presenting slot on ITV it does make it a bit different from lowly old us.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

JoChervil wrote: »
    That's what was the funniest in that interview. And right from the very beginning to make the whole rest believable. You bet...

but she watched princess movies she let that slip...... and also sees herself in the little mermaid as the little mermaid married a prince... projection.... which means I think ... someone was obsessed with being a princess- but the version of a princess thats on TV - not the real version.

Well, when you are a reasonably well known media personality and with a primetime morning presenting slot on ITV it does make it a bit different from lowly old us.

Same morals and integrity apply though, no matter who it is.

Not his business to call someone a liar, not anyone's here either. And having a mickey fit when challenged on it, just like he did yesterday!

For a moment, lets accept that as true.

Now lets hypothesise, based on likelihood and probability. You meet a prominent member of the most prominent Monarchy on the planet, you start a relationship, you fall in love and decide to get married.

And you don't do any research on this person? None whatsoever? Even type his name plus "scandal" to see if anything dodge comes up?

This is highly unlikely and highly improbable... but not impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Keyzer wrote: »

Bit this not near as bad as this one time, one of them heard some comment made about Archie’s skin color...

Advertisement