Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    I think Meghan does believe what she is saying and thats her point of view which she is entitled to.

BUT HARRY - seems like a complete ijiot. Saying I was trapped but I didnt know it until Meghan came along. I mean what a fool. Dude you are a prince you are one of the most privileged people on the entire planet (a planet in which a large portion dont have access to clean water, healthcare etc.) and you want us to feel sorry for you.

Come On Dude. Get out of your bubble. Stop doing lame interviews and do something with your privilege instead of preaching to us all the time and victimising yourself.

oh and your family are trapped too you say. maybe you should let them speak for themselves.

Charles and William are being prepped for being king so there is an element of being trapped. They can't say or do certain things that go against the regal tone. No matter how they're feeling on any given day they have to complete their royal engagements. If you or I don't want to do something we can choose not to do it. I'm sure the royals don't have that privilege. They have to toe the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Keyzer wrote: »
    For a moment, lets accept that as true.

Now lets hypothesise, based on likelihood and probability. You meet a prominent member of the most prominent Monarchy on the planet, you start a relationship, you fall in love and decide to get married.

And you don't do any research on this person? None whatsoever? Even type his name plus "scandal" to see if anything dodge comes up?

This is highly unlikely and highly improbable... but not impossible.

She probably got her agent to do the googling:D

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

KKkitty wrote: »
    Charles and William are being prepped for being king so there is an element of being trapped. They can't say or do certain things that go against the regal tone. No matter how they're feeling on any given day they have to complete their royal engagements. If you or I don't want to do something we can choose not to do it. I'm sure the royals don't have that privilege. They have to toe the line.

so you feel sorry for them LOL I said he should let them speak for themselves

i feel trapped too.. i cant go more than 5km outside my house
    but i dont live in the luxury of a palace or a mansion in santa barbara
    which hey if you got it great
    just stop complaining about your life when you have been born into immense wealth, privilege and opportunity
    thats all i am saying
    got it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

KKkitty wrote: »

Right. And you have all that freedom. So try next time to tell your boss, you don't want to fulfil your duties...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Anyone with a brain can see Meghan is going to divorce Harry take him to the cleaners and take his kids. As soon as the second kid is born. She's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

One thing that I can't quite shake is Harry of late, not that I give a monkeys.

But it wasn't long ago he was parading around at a fancy dress party as a Nazi while his mates were in blackface and KKK outfits. No doubt he was young and foolish but how does one explain this to Meghan, when the subject rears its ugly head?

I find this somewhat... ironic.

It was in 2005.

16 years ago
    "Wasn't long ago"?

Anyone with a brain can see Meghan is going to divorce Harry take him to the cleaners and taje his kids. As soon as the second kid is born. She's gone.

yup waiting for it to happen

he is a fool and he'll be crawling back to the firm, the institution or whatever they call it, crying because meghan got half of the money mummy left him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

For a moment, lets accept that as true.

Now lets hypothesise, based on likelihood and probability. You meet a prominent member of the most prominent Monarchy on the planet, you start a relationship, you fall in love and decide to get married.

And you don't do any research on this person? None whatsoever? Even type his name plus "scandal" to see if anything dodge comes up?

This is highly unlikely and highly improbable... but not impossible.

And that none of your friends or family would either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

sebdavis wrote: »
    It was in 2005.

16 years ago
    "Wasn't long ago"?

But it happened right?

Many a celebrity career have been destroyed for less when incriminating evidence from years ago has been unearthed. Even minor indiscretions have been trawled up from years gone past and used as fodder to destroy a career.

So why is Harry any different?

Oprah pulling out a copy of that Nazi photo in the middle of the interview would have made the interview absolute gold. I can only imagine the look on his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Shelga wrote: »
    I have mixed opinions on the whole thing, but both of them repeatedly saying "riiiight?" after earnestly making a point, was highly highly irritating.

Agreed. Very ‘Valley Girl’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

But it happened right?

Many a celebrity career have been destroyed for less when incriminating evidence from years ago has been unearthed. Even minor indiscretions have been trawled up from years gone past and used as fodder to destroy a career.

Oprah pulling out a copy of that Nazi photo in the middle of the interview would have made the interview absolute gold. I can only imagine the look on his face.

Sure the German blood runs deep within the Windsors.

But it happened right?

It was published at the time, caused a backlash and was explained away as youthful exuberance. I think he might have issued an apology too.

Agreed. Very ‘Valley Girl’.

LOL - RIGHTTTTTT :D

quote from Meghan in the interview "Life is about storytelling..right"

UM NO Life is about reality

kind of sums up the whole thing doesnt it

And that none of your friends or family would either.

Exactly.
    It was published at the time, caused a backlash and was explained away as youthful exuberance. I think he might have issued an apology too.

So, lets say she did see the photo - hypothetically. She still married him, married into his family and bore him two children.

If I were a black woman and I seen a photo of my prospective husband dressed like a Nazi with mates in KKK outfits. I would be horrified, disgusted, appalled, sickened.

It would take a lot of explaining to get out of that one. In fact, I think it would be a game changer for me. Can it be explained away by saying it was a very dark period in my life? I was not in a good place? I was young and foolish? That image would tarnish my opinion of the person irreversibly.

But that's just me. I'm not a woman and I'm not black and I'm not married to one of the most prominent members of the British Royal Family.

Youthful exuberance you say? What does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

But it happened right?

I can't believe that they were so shortsighted, not to predict, that all this Nazi thing will be brought back to bite him, when they touched racism. That's why I think, he is the real victim here. And probably was taken by surprise.

It depends on what narrative suits at the time I suppose.

It depends on what narrative suits at the time I suppose.

Suits who though?

Suits who though?

Meghan. She had to have known and Harry had to have explained the reality of living that life.

He could have walked before they got married and their wedding and life could have been private from that point on.

ETA: The palace released a statement saying the that while the uniform was a mistake, it was because Harry was young and didn't fully understand the significance. Words to that effect anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

bubblypop wrote: »
    If Harry really felt upset by losing his security detail, it just proves how completely out of touch he is!

The Royal family have no input into the details of their security, it is provided by British Police, risk assessments done by police and protection details compiled by police.
    If he really thought that British Police were just going to supply and pay for his security while he lived in Canada, that's extraordinarily naive.
    To believe that Canadian police would supply security for him and his family forever also shows complete detachment from reality!

Not the first time Harry has displayed his obliviousness. I’m paraphrasing here but he and Meghan did an interview last year in which he said he didn’t fully realise how racially diverse London was until Meghan entered his life. Like, huh? One thing I notice (and really like) about London when I go there is its ethnic diversity compared to Ireland. I guess you could that Harry doesn’t have that point of comparison, not being Irish. But I think it’s just as likely that he rarely strayed outside very moneyed parts of the city and a certain social set that would be predominantly white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Are you actually serious with this shit? Christ on a bike.

I can’t believe people still express sentiments among the lines of “Shure, what have YOU to be depressed about?”. And suggesting that those who suffer from depression are weak-willed. No wonder so many men kill themselves with attitudes like yours still around.

Is that the same poster that took umbrage at being called callous? It's hard to keep up with all the ignorant comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Of all the weird stuff she came out with in the interview I thought the weirdest was about her father. She sat there and told Oprah she’s “lost so much” and “I lost a baby and I lost my dad” I know her dad has done things she has not agreed with and has caused her embarrassment but he is still alive and well and living fairly near her. She hasn’t lost him she just chooses not to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Of all the weird stuff she came out with in the interview I thought the weirdest was about her father. She sat there and told Oprah she’s “lost so much” and “I lost a baby and I lost my dad” I know her dad has done things she has not agreed with and has caused her embarrassment but he is still alive and well and living fairly near her. She hasn’t lost him she just chooses not to see him.

The man is a parasite who basically sold off his relationship with her to the highest bidder, not just with the first event of the staged photos before her wedding, but doing constant TV interviews about her, predominantly with Piers Morgan who is one of her most fervent critics, thereby just fuelling and compounding that criticism.

I think regardless of people's opinions of Meghan Markle, it's pretty clear to see that he betrayed her, and continues to do so. It goes beyond embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Penn wrote: »
    The man is a parasite who basically sold off his relationship with her to the highest bidder, not just with the first event of the staged photos before her wedding, but doing constant TV interviews about her, predominantly with Piers Morgan who is one of her most fervent critics, thereby just fuelling and compounding that criticism.

I think regardless of people's opinions of Meghan Markle, it's pretty clear to see that he betrayed her, and continues to do so. It goes beyond embarrassment.

I know what you mean it’s a very complicated and hard situation but at the same time she still hasn’t “lost” her father. She still has options to try and sort things out which is a lot more than some people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I thought that was quite insightful of her character. I’m not dismissing all that she has lost, I would never trivialise her miscarriage and she has lost a lot. But to be speaking about all “I” have lost when you chose to distance yourself from your father and other family members, while you sit opposite you husband whose mother died so tragically and you continue to berate his family, ensuring he loses them too. Again, it’s not a competition on who has lost more than who but I found that quite remarkable.

It’s the lack of humility that ultimately ruined it for me. If she had owned her part in some things, acknowledged that in hindsight she regrets all that happened with her father, that she wishes it could have been dealt with differently. That she maybe made some things difficult for herself and that incident with Kate was a moment where two tired and emotional people collided over something trivial but they’ve gotten over it and moved on, I think it would have warmed people to her more. I don’t doubt she went through a hard time, I mean the stuff alone with her father would have been hard enough to deal with in private, never mind having the world’s media salivating for tattle. But she seems so focused on creating a narrative that always has her as the victim of everyone else’s doing, and life just doesn’t work like that. I’m sure there are certain things that she could have handled better, that possibly would have led to more favourable coverage and it would have been okay for her to admit that. But she didn’t. And I have an inherent suspicion of people who just cannot ever admit some fault or take responsibility when needed. Ultimately the whole thing was just a masterclass in subterfuge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Not the first time Harry has displayed his obliviousness. I’m paraphrasing here but he and Meghan did an interview last year in which he said he didn’t fully realise how racially diverse London was until Meghan entered his life. Like, huh? One thing I notice (and really like) about London when I go there is its ethnic diversity compared to Ireland. I guess you could that Harry doesn’t have that point of comparison, not being Irish. But I think it’s just as likely that he rarely strayed outside very moneyed parts of the city and a certain social set that would be predominantly white.

Like, huh? do you think he is walking around London checking the hot spots?

A huge part of the interview was about living in the royal "bubble". They don't go out and see people, they are even unaware they are in a bubble as everyone else they know is in it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

sebdavis wrote: »
    Like, huh? do you think he is walking around London checking the hot spots?

A huge part of the interview was about living in the royal "bubble". They don't go out and see people, they are even unaware they are in a bubble as everyone else they know is in it with them.

You actually believe him, so?

Big deal he’s not out and about like normal folks..he has been out and about all over London enough to know damn well of its diversity.

London has been for years a city with a lot of diversity. Well well known to anyone with half a brain, or with access to books, access to tv, access to the internet.

Unless you’re also trying to say he has no access to anything outside of royalty..

FFS, Britain conquered the world, and a lot of people from this world went to Britain..

His claim is absolute bull****

And anyone buying this bull**** claim, well, wtf!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

One thing I thought was disingenuous.
    They made a big deal about not accepting payment for the interview. They should have and donated it all to the charities they work with.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

One thing I thought was disingenuous.
    They made a big deal about not accepting payment for the interview. They should have and donated it all to the charities they work with.

Fair point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Are you actually serious with this shit? Christ on a bike.

I can’t believe people still express sentiments among the lines of “Shure, what have YOU to be depressed about?”. And suggesting that those who suffer from depression are weak-willed. No wonder so many men kill themselves with attitudes like yours still around.

You clearly know NOTHING about mental health if your only reaction is this utterly tiresome faux outrage. :rolleyes: Jeez but it's so depressing how easily outraged people are nowadays and how little use this constant outrage is to real mental health sufferers.

1. I know a lot about mental health and I know a lot about various therapies. Practising gratitude is one. You have an absolute nerve twisting the meaning of my words or maybe you just didn't understand. Meghan has a lot to be grateful for. While practising gratitude is no magic bullet, it helps. And when you consider how many depressed people are very alone and unloved a woman who has such love and support from a devoted partner could start by counting her blessings and maybe she did just that as she seems fine now.

2. Again perhaps your comprehension skills aren't great because no where did I imply that a depressed person is weak willed. I said that if Meghan really was suicidal and I don't believe she was, don't fall off the chair now with a heart attack!:eek: the reasons for her depression, like the reasons for everybody's depression are rooted in her own psyche and not as simple as blaming the big, bad in laws. It's never as simple as if only every one else would change I'd be fine. Very flawed thinking and one which therapists try to deconstruct.

So find someone else to vent your outrage at as I'm not justifying myself further to you. I'll talk to those who respect differing points of view and don't immediately hop on the attack!

Advertisement