Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

The reading comprehension on this thread is atrocious.

No wonder people are giving the book a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭valoren

According to Harry this all started when his dad collaborated with Jonathan Dimbleby on a "crypto-biography". That kicked off the whole briefing and planting tit for tat warring. His Pa was the one who got into bed with the media/press. It obviously didn't start with the blockbuster Andrew Morton book two years before which was an international sensation and which fuelled much tabloid coverage of the P & P of Wales for years afterwards. The denials about any involvement by Diana clearly wouldn't cause recrimination, clapback or antagonism. His mother using a friend to act as the middle man to a journalist to get her side of the story into the public domain was totally not an act of collaboration at all since she never spoke to Morton in person. Harry ignores Morton stating his mother was his primary source and not "friends" or "family". Just like Harry and Meghan using Knauf to brief Omid Scobie was not an act of collaboration since they never sat to meet him directly. Since he is waging war against the likes of Murdoch perhaps being blunt and honest about what was going on with his parents in a toxic marriage as opposed to being a biased hypocrite might sway more people to his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there is already a huge amount of people swayed to his side.

in fact, those who will side with him are already doing so and those who won't will not do so no matter what.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

Q whats the story with his book Spare? seems loads have got it in PDF form? me included.. its been doing the rounds via email and whatsap etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Rescue Remedy

I just finished reading Spare. It's divided into 3 parts.

The first 2 didn't strike me as being OTT. Even the account of the 25 Taliban. Probably best left out but he said it in the context of warfare, modern warfare, it's easier total. And why wouldn't he feel indifference, it was war against an enemy. Granted he's really put a target on his back.

Part 3 started off ok, the beginning of his relationship with Meghan. He's clearly totally smitten. Initially all seems reasonably well with the family. Then the sh*t fest begins. It's like any family fall out really. Just complicated with being the most famous family in the world, ancient protocol and tradition and the ever present media.

It's hard to attach blame to anyone in particular. This is one person's side. Like the majority of falling out there's probably wrong on all sides. We have trivial falling out over wedding dresses etc. But it's often the little things that cause the most damage.

Overall I felt sad after reading the last chapter. It's hard to see a happy outcome for Harry and Meghan. I'd expect a divorce. William, Kate have the family backing. I wouldn't say Harry's mental health is stable. The mam dying when they were so young hit hard. Harry tends to use her as an excuse for all his woes and mishaps. Sad story.

Post edited by Rescue Remedy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I can't fathom why anyone would read his book, it's sounds really boring.

Granted I know some people are bookworms and I'm not one of those or even a big reader but I'd rather waste my money in the pub rather than reading about his petty family grips.

And they are petty in the grand schemes of things.

Got it in the local library. I'd consider myself an Irish nationalist. It's actually well written and there's a lot of interesting bits about his time herding and managing livestock in Australia, training to fly an Apache, Eton etc. I thought I'd put it down after 5 pages. I didn't.

I've read a lot of GAA, boxing, soccer, rugby bios and the vast majority would be a lot more boring than this. You get a fuller picture of where he's at. My background is history and there has never been a Royal book like this. It's going to have historical relevance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A fair summing up. From what I've heard, neither side comes out of it particularly badly but not especially well either. Harry is quite clearly damaged by his childhood and is making some questionable decisions. Ironically, despite the absolute hate fest from the English tabloid rags, Meghan is probably by far the more stable and together of the two.

William and Kate sound surprisingly petty, but nonetheless will probably make a decent enough king and queen eventually, as they understand the role and what is required of them. Even Charles doesn't seem to come out of the book particularly badly. Perhaps not a great father to his two sons but doing his best under taxing circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭JoChervil

William and Kate sound surprisingly petty

That's what he wanted to achieve. That Mr and Mrs "Spare" are much better fit for the job than them. But is it true?

And public can't see it because of rags and family protection. So he has to "enlighten" them with his book.

It's a jealousy of a less favourable sibling in a pure form...

But if he wanted to do a hatchet job on the Cambridges, wouldn't he surely have put in stronger stories than Kate and Meghan arguing over the length of Charlotte's dress? This stuff sounds trivial (though petty as well). There's no reason to be believe he made this up either, it sounds very plausible.

It looks so innocent and petty because it is written by him. Other reports were about direct bulling of Charlotte by Meghan in front of other mums and children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,314 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Overall I felt sad after reading the last chapter. It's hard to see a happy outcome for Harry and Meghan. I'd expect a divorce. William, Kate have the family backing.

The RF backing prevents divorce does it? 😂

If even a fraction of the rumours are true, the money is on Kate getting out of dodge, especially with a young daughter and a certain uncle being welcomed back into the bosom of the cult.

Talk of her being a 'bully' seems hard to believe. If she was a bully, the prime target would surely be Harry himself, not Kate's children who she barely had any contact with at all.

I didn't say that. Just in general Kate and William have a far better support system to succeed than H and M who are alienating so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Minister for Hardship

There is no smoke without a fire. There were too many reports of her bulling to believe otherwise.

What a weird assumption, that Harry should be her prime target. Especially that bullies at work are often quiet at home and other way around.

This book is written to dissipate all bad gossips about them. Written in a way to acknowledge that something happened, then spin it around to show how Meghan (and Harry) was without a fault and noble in it. And only quoting smses with those, who can't react to their claims, while omitting a big part of the truth.

Different ones to what his using. Yeah Kate and William will break up before Todger and the wife!

• Advertisement

so what sources would you suggest? could you name a couple?

well it is possible william and kate may break up before meghan and harry, anything can happen.

The greatest source is observation, cop on and comparing each couple's behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Karppi

so no sources then? or if there are, and for some reason that is beyond us all you can't name them, i can assume we can at least rule out the daily mail which batted full on for the nazis during their early years in power, or the sun which deliberately lied about 96 dead football fans and kept that lie going until they could lie no more?

each couple's behaviour wouldn't really tell us which of them will break up either at all or before the other, because as boggles pointed out, there is a compelling reason for kate to get out given the attempts to reintegrate andrew back in to the fold.

I think you're taking this a bit too seriously. I'd imagine the poster feels William and Kate seem a much more stable couple than his brother and his wife.

Of course any marriage can break down. Kate was well liked by the former Queen. By all accounts a steady sort. Anything that Harry is involved in brings volatility.

well we know william has a bit of a liking for the old volitility according to harry given he was violent to harry.

the reason harry's other relationships didn't last was because the ladies involved could not cope with the nonsense surrounding the outdated old abomination of an institution, rather then anything to do with them or harry, strange that there seems to be a thing with women having issues in relation to the rf and they can't all be wrong.

harry and meghan's marriage seems to be going fine, sure maybe it won't last or maybe it will, but at the moment there is no evidence to show that it is likely to break down, the opposite in fact.

The only attempts to reintegrate or even rehabilitate Andrew exist only in his own mind. He’s toast, and cold toast at that.

• Advertisement

And rang his therapist after that dreadful injury with the dog bowl.

Advertisement