Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

So William and Kate want yet another property? Harry and Meghan are getting ‘evicted’ due to the white disgraced Prince needing a home…and the rest of the family don’t want to share their sprawling mansions? This looks bad, will sell badly abroad and is a poor move by the RF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Just read an article (in the daily mail) about H&M going for dinner in LA. Pics of security guards etc... I mean who really cares? Why couldn't they just go for their meal with friends as regular people? I'm sure lots of celebs live their lives like normal people most of the time. Who would really bother with them? They are not exactly the president of the US and her husband!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

This is a PR outing. Paps were called to show all is well in LA. Meghan hasn’t been seen with Harry since his book launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

All this rubbish about an eviction is Sussex PR. Why is the story breaking now when they were informed in January that the lease would not be renewed? Since when is a lease not renewed on someone’s second mansion an ‘eviction’. They documented themselves packing up everything and leaving in 2020. Why the outrage over a house that wasn’t good enough, that they never visit, near family that they hate? I thought they just made 100 million, why can’t they buy their own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

When Charles said they would be building their lives overseas it seems he meant it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I bet it was William and Kate who pushed for the eviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

They haven't been evicted. They moved out 3 years ago. The lease is not being renewed, that's all. Apparently Uncle Sleaze doesn't want it, either.

You'd swear H&M were tennent farmers being put on the side of the road after having their roof tumbled by rack renting, land clearing landlords ( which would be ironic, given Harry's predecessors ). They are multi millionaire royalty who live in a multii- million mansion. I think they'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Its the British Press are calling it an eviction. Statement from Sussex spokesperson:

“We can confirm the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage,” a spokesperson for the couple said in a statement issued late on Wednesday 1 March.

Always a good plan to go look for original statement from the individuals involved.

My take on why it is only been announced now is to distract from the fact that no one wants to perform for the Coronation (people like Lady Gaga, Spice Girls, Elton John, Ed Shearan and Edel have all refused). Jedward have also refused to perform 😂

What I don't understand is the delight that British people are taking in this happening and why Charles is taking away a wedding gift from the QEII to her grandson. Charles must have hated his mother because he seems to be despensing with a lot of her wishes very quickly (i.e., taking the house from Harry (which he was paying for and which he renovated), and of course Camila becoming Queen rather than Queen Consort.

The 'outrage' is that the QEII gifted Harry the house as a wedding present. He spent £2.4m refurbishing it and pays something like £300K a year leasing it from the Crown Estate. As the house was in the grounds of Windsor Castle, it was very secure and that is the main issue as to why finding such a secure house would be difficult. Where are you getting that the house wasn't good enough? Thats a new take and perhaps you haven't noticed, but over the last few years there has been restrictions on travel due to the pandemic. With that, they have been back a couple of times and Harry has plenty of other family (Spencer aunts/uncle) and friends in the UK apart from some of their charities which they still support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

All that’s left is to get a picture of Harry mixing cement and laying blocks in California 😀

It’s delicious seeing Andrew kicked out of Royal lodge and into a residence that was originally built for “wurkers” - he may as well buy another challet in Switzerland and live out his days there- he’d be far happier I’d say.

• Advertisement

The Queen Consort is always addressed as Queen. The Queen Mother was Queen Elizabeth before her husband died. Her Mother-in-law was Queen Mary before she became Dowager Queen (the original title of the Monarch's mother - the Queen Mother didn't like that title so had it changed to Queen Mother. )

I don’t get the taking back of a “gift” from the Queen- it’s one thing if Harry didn’t want to maintain the house anymore but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

While Charles has the right to do as he pleases now that he is King, his popularity looks to be dipping considerably over the last few months- not a good start- I’d say he’ll always do poorly in opinion polls from here on in.

I guess he’s trying to draw a line under both Andrew and H&M but what’s left unfortunately quite bland- William and Kate, dutiful and all as they are, are becoming quite boring - they may as well be European royals for all the impact they have.

The one thing H&M have done is show up the rest of the Royals, maybe aside from Princess Anne, as a bunch of self important nobodies who are just sheeping their way through life because that’s what they were taught.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The house wasn't gifted though.

It's a 'grace and favour' arrangement. That means that they were allowed to reside there at the queen's permission. It was never their house. It belongs to the Crown and nobody, not even the Queen can give away a property that is owned essentially by the state. That's why it also qualified for the extensive refurbishment by the tax payer (but also when it became clear that H&M wouldn't be using it as a residence, it was fair to return to the tax payer what they chose to spend on it). Grace and Favour arrangements end with the death of the monarch unless as in the case of the Queen's dresser, provision is specifically made for the person until death.

It's actually an ingenious move by Charles I think. People are well pissed off that Andrew is rattling around in a 30 bed gaff on the tax payer dime -and there are reports that he's never kept up with necessary refurbishment that was part of the deal. It needs a lot of money spent on it and well... the public would rightly go nuts if the crown funded Andrew's house refurb. By moving him to a 2-bed house that was recently renovated to an exceptional standard under the guise of slimming down the monarchy, giving a bigger gaff to the Prince and Princess of Wales with their family will be far more palatable for the public. And naturally the story will go out that it's not been done up since '75 or something or that the reason it costs so much to refurb is all those solar panels and Eco friendly improvements yada yada. And that Andrew is resisting the move when none of that is true, and it shows the RF seemingly getting tough with H&M on a property which was already no loss to them, and probably even a relief to get out of the lease since they are so broke, right? When they do come to visit the UK Charles has a vast array of properties that they can stay at. It's not like they will have to stop at Travelodge.

Wins all around really.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

@Sammy2012 But.. but if they don't get out of an armoured car dripping in designer clothes with an armed security guard holding the brolly, how will people even know how Very Important they are??

😁

I mean, yeah they could just drive down to their local and park like ordinary celebrities but that might mean nobody even spots them. And we can't have that!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,137 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

By moving him to a 2-bed house that was recently renovated to an exceptional standard

10 bed house, he is hardly been moved into squalor.

Wins all around really

Not really for the British tax payer though, is it?

Harry is paying commercial rent on it and paid millions for the extensive renovation.

He will be more than entitled to have that recouped and of course no more 300k a year rent going forward.

Andy on the other hand is just a cost and them some.

Oh I agree with most of what you say - and actually we were both wrong - pre-refurbishment it was 10 bedrooms but now it's a mere 4 bedrooms. Probably massive rooms all the same, and slumming it for actual royals but still a damn fancy gaff for the likes of us.

The british public /taxpayer though... I agree they aren't getting a great deal but they are awfully gullible and easily placated with a bit of spin. A fool and their money are soon parted right? Harry will get his renovation costs repaid, or Charles will step in and repay it out of their own vast private funds to settle the matter. 2.4 million is just spare change for this lot.

I've suggested earlier in the thread that keeping Andrew close might be a strategy they have little choice in. It protects him, yes, but I think that if he wasn't bankrolled and protected like that, he'd cause a lot more embarrassment and problems for the RF. Anyone looking through their fingers at the Emily Matliss interview disaster that he actually thought was a success can see he's a bloody liability for the lot of them if let loose to fend for himself.

Addressed as queen, but still formally queen consort. Queen Mary was a Princess (grand daughter of King George) and she was still Queen Consort and later became Queen Mother.

Of course the royals can make the rules up as they go along, as they do (for instance, apart from being an American, Wallis Simpson was divorced. That was the reason given that she could not be Queen. The new Queen is a divorced woman, whose husband is still alive who is married to the head of the Church of England.

So, what will Camilla be called if and when Charles pops his clogs. The Queen Step-Mother 😂

Oi you- what’s wrong with Travellodge eh? 😀

Now there’s an opportunity for H&M- travellodge, the official providers of accommodation to Royalty when in Engerland😀- should be with a few million endorsement at least

Everything I read suggests it's a 10 bed house post refurbishment.

The british public /taxpayer though... I agree they aren't getting a great deal but they are awfully gullible and easily placated with a bit of spin

Bit harder to spin when millions of families in England are reporting they have to skip meals.

That's even before they have to foot the 100m bill for the gross display of opulence that is forthcoming.

Interesting perspective on Andrew and I’d find it hard to disagree- it would certainly be a disaster if he was cut free completely- “carefully managed” is probably not far off the truth in terms of what’s happening- glad to see him gone from Royal Lodge - that was a complete waste having him there- it will certainly appeal to the masses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

So very true. They are actually so pathetic. I wonder if I got someone to drive me around and hold an umbrella over me would I get the same treatment. Two useless humans, who are constantly trying to justify their existence and show us mere mortals how important they are.

OMG- your sammy2012- can I’ve your autograph? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Camilla will officially be queen consort, a woman can only be queen if she is the monarch.

Camilla will be "Queen Camilla" until Charles dies. If she survives him we'll find out what title they use for her then. She won't be the monarch because it is a hereditary title.

William will then be king and Catherine queen consort.

So, what will Camilla be called if and when Charles pops his clogs. The Queen Step-Mother 😂

@jm08 Or go full Disney Villan and give her the Evil Queen Moniker? Ah no seriously, assuming that she outlives the king, then the norm is that she would be referred to as the Dowager Queen Camilla.

Bit harder to spin when millions of families in England are reporting they have to skip meals.

That's even before they have to foot the 100m bill for the gross display of opulence that is forthcoming.

Again, I agree with what you say, but where is the outrage from the public? Why aren't they taking to the streets for this when working families rely on food banks, when homes are freezing, when the country is in bits? No, they'll be spun the story that what's really important here is that Camilla didn't wear an egg sized diamond of dubious origin at the coronation, and not that the 100m that could be far better spent on the NHS or feeding children in schools when it's likely their only meal of the day. And it'll work too. There will be a bit of grumbling but not much.

Again, I agree with what you say, but where is the outrage from the public? Why aren't they taking to the streets for this when working families rely on food banks, when homes are freezing, when the country is in bits? No, they'll be spun the story that what's really important here is that Camilla didn't wear an egg sized diamond of dubious origin at the coronation, and not that the 100m that could be far better spent on the NHS or feeding children in schools when it's likely their only meal of the day. And it'll work too. There will be a bit of grumbling but not much.

I never suggested anyone would take to the streets. Although Charles has become decent at egg dodging.

The Royal Family exist largely on perception, that perception filters into politics. It's these politicians who ultimately set the royal pot.

And we know who is up next.

Yes, addressed as Queen. That was my point. All wives of monarch's are Queen Consorts and addressed as Queen. Camilla will be Queen Consort and addressed as Queen. She won't be a Queen in the sense she will be a Monarch. Perhaps she will be known as Dowager Queen after Charlie shuffles off? Queen Mary was always addressed as Queen Mary after her husband died, so maybe just Queen Camilla in address?The issue with Queen Elizabeth ii and her mother being known as Queen Mother was because they were both Queen Elizabeth, to avoid confusion and to copoerfasten Elizabeth as Monarch they differentiated. As I stated above, the Queen Mother did not want to be known as Dowager Queen Elizabeth so they changed it to Queen Mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

You hit an important point there - the house is in the grounds of Windsor castle. Which is why the family can’t allow their greatest security threat access any longer. The one who has already given away the floor plans of private royal residences, has taken clandestine photos inside them, who has referred to the future King as his nemesis, and who has idiotically drawn the attention of the Taliban. He doesn’t need to be anywhere near the Wales family, and they have every right to keep him away. Let him build his life overseas like he wanted.

You don’t understand the delight? I do. People like to see liars, abusers, narcissists face consequences. No-one wants them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Whatever the exact details, they are not happy. Don't get me wrong, I have no sympathy for them, they are very fortunate people. I am just saying that although this decision is being attributed to Charles, I would say that William and his manically grinning wife had a huge hand in it. I would say they were absulutely raging over what was written about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

So this notice was given almost two months ago but we're only hearing about it now. No statement at the time from the palace and considering they still made no comment about it then it obviously stems from the Sussexes. Odd timing eh? Wasn't it St David's Day yesterday? His brother and his wifes first one since becoming the Prince and Princess of Wales. Then by pure coincidence they get "papped" while going out for Din Din whereas since his book came out and after South Park they've been practically sight unseen. It's all so predictable and quite boring now.

• Advertisement

Since when has the Sussex's started briefing Camilla pals in the Daily Mail and the Express. The Sussexs said nothing until yesterday. The Palace leaked it and the Dail Mail/Express/Sun spun it to be an 'Eviction'. This cheers up the British people no end going on comments on various tabloid newspapers in the UK.

Advertisement