Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Breaking News:

Incident has been upgraded to 'nearly cataclysmic'

Nobody was hurt or killed, or even put out, there were no physical altercations and no material or property damage, to anyone anywhere.

But still and all, it was a close call for the whole planet there for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

“I don’t think I would call it a chase,” Singh said of his period driving the couple. “I never felt like I was in danger. It wasn’t like a car chase in a movie. They were quiet and seemed scared but it’s New York — it’s safe.”

In a six-hour Netflix documentary they produced, Harry and Meghan were shown being chauffeured in New York City and fearing that they were being followed by photographers

The evidence seems to suggest harry and meghan have some kind of complex, and are especially triggered by paparazzi in particular.

Harry wrote that he thought seeing the tunnel would bring closure, but instead it brought him more pain. He wonders aloud if his mother’s driver was “blinded” while being chased by paparazzi. “Why were those paps not more roundly blamed? Why were they not in jail? Who sent them? And why were they not in jail?,” he asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

So you’re saying you don’t want Harry and Meghan to engage or live their lives in the US, attend galas, have a PR team…and you and other people have the right to demand this because? Even if they wanted privacy and don’t now, how does that make it ok that the British media continue to dehumanise Meghan and Harry with hate articles all day every day, all to create interest and generate clicks that the Royal family cannot alone. You’re justification of Prince Andrew like he’s a good little boy who doesn’t court media attention is pathetic if you ask me.

See previous answer to valoren and apply to yourself.

• Advertisement

Sigh, I see this thread uses Rupert Murdoch’s New York Post and probably GB news as ‘sources’ to prove the chase was ‘fake’. The same Rupert who was name checked at Prince Harry’s court case in which it was revealed he received a hefty sum of money from Prince William. I wonder how much it was & what the terms of that deal were? I wonder why he’d want tp discredit Harry & Meghan?

Here’s an actual account of what happened:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So they drove around for 2 hours and switched cars because they didn't want paparazzi to know where they were staying. Hardly a "near fatal chase" and totally of their own making. They could have stopped anywhere in that time and switched vehicles if they wanted. Talk about being dramatic

Also, I noticed the sidewalk in the short clip in the article posted up thread is practically empty despite barriers being erected to keep the riff raff away. What a shock to see the street isn't full of their adoring fans lol, and there's only 2 or 3 photographers. No one gives a **** so they come up with this to get some attention. Also distracts from the embarrassing photos of them arriving at the event into a Hertz car rental office in the parking garage

What do you think about the actual taxi drivers version as per the Washington Post?

An account of what happened from their paid security.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Advertisement

An actual account from their long time bodyguard on retainer.

I for one cited neither the NYP or GBN, I cited The Washington Post. The evidence sure suggests that Harry and Meghan (probably more so Harry) have some kind of aversion/traumatic complex with paparazzi in particular, particularly cars+paprazzi, because of how Princess Diana died.

Another actual account from their Taxi driver, paid only to transport them for the night, said they were never in any danger and the drive was perfectly safe.

This is New York city. It's constantly full of traffic and people. Do they really expect people to believe they were in a high speed chase involving 6 cars "driving on the pavement, carrying out blocking moves, and reversing down a one-way street" and no one saw or filmed anything? Sounds like a scene from a Jason Bourne movie. There must be footage somewhere, maybe they're saving it for Netflix

So Harry = bad because he has a bad a past traumatic experience with press chasing cars?

Or Harry & Meghan = bad because their security guard gave an account of what happened which could be traumatic for both of them, near death experience or not. The ‘near fatal’ seems to refer to pedestrian and other motorists risk. A few quick second videos isn’t going to give an accurate picture as many people well know.

Yeah I don't see where the catastrophe was at there but maybe they meant at some other point.

I could see Harry not allowing the Taxi to move with the flash photography going on, like he's got some kind of fear in him that flashing lights = the car is gonna crash. Even though you'd never get up to any great speed in NYC, if you slammed into the wall from suddenly going blind your airbags probably wouldn't even deploy. NYPD has rammed into George Floyd protestors harder than that, and nobody died there either frankly. So I'm very curious what they mean with insinuating anything about the drive was near-fatal etc.

Damnit people, I was doing my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The Mayor of NY says that there was no “catastrophic” incident involving the paparazzi last night that he is aware of.

I have no reason to disbelieve him. I don’t think he’d get away with it if he was lying.

When Harry’s mother died so tragically in a genuine catastrophic incident involving the paparazzi then why on earth would he compare a little bit of inconvenience he had last night with that? Me me me me me me me. Look at me. It’s cringe making.

Did you read any of the articles? They said there were motorcycles and scooters involved which could easily mount footpaths. Posters so quick to fall over themselves helping out their pal Murdoch and Co to try and prove this didn’t actually happen.

If any of you have a logical thought process in your heads at the moment, think about this. Harry and Meghan had their moment at the awards, they looked great and had Doria in tow. They’ve no reason to make this up, it’s makes no sense for them to do so, brings further press scrutiny which is relentless at this stage with daily hateful Meghan articles in the British media.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Even the 2 squad cars turned right whilst their cab went straight on. There is a level of impossibility in the claim of a 2hr chase that anyone who's spent anything more than a weekend in NY will know of. The Cab driver, the Mayor and the NYPD all have a very different version of events from H&M's

We could call it recollections varying? But I'm sure given the propensity of CCTV, personal cameras and phones, that any misinterpretation will be quickly cleared up😉

According to the BBC article which has nothing to do with Murdoch:

"There are claims the chase involved half a dozen cars, with reckless driving including going through red lights, driving on the pavement, carrying out blocking moves, and reversing down a one-way street - as well as taking photographs while driving."

I've been in NYC recently and given the amount of construction going on which shields the sidewalk from the road and also barriers etc, it's not that easy for a motorbike or scooter to get on the footpath. Not to mention pedestrians who surely would have noticed this going on and maybe took out their phones. Also reversing down a one way street really isn't possible either and the idea that all this would go unnoticed is, as the mayor himself said, "hard to believe".

Reductio ad absurdum. Nobody here said "Harry = bad because he has a bad traumatic experience."

What clearly has been discussed is that spokespersons for Harry and Meghan claimed a 'near catastrophic' 'near fatal' incident occured in New York City, blamed it all on the paparazzi, and the driver they hired said they were all safe the NYPD's public statements were incoherent with theirs.

Where we seemingly agree is that Harry probably has a complex to do with the paparazzi, and that this experience was not "near death" for anyone involved.

The driver of the vehicle, in that video, who drove them around in that vehicle the entire length of time they were in the vehicle, says they were safe, in his own words:

“I don’t think I would call it a chase,” Singh said of his period driving the couple. “I never felt like I was in danger. It wasn’t like a car chase in a movie. They were quiet and seemed scared but it’s New York — it’s safe.”

If they instructed their bodyguard/PR team to razzle up what happened then yes, they're bad. That's as easy to cast aspersions about as you have cast aspersions about "Rupert Murdoch"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Carol…stop digging when you’re in a hole is the best advice you’d take right now. The Mayor of New York. The taxi driver. Their own security detail. All of these say that there was never any danger.

As for them being triggered or traumatised or whatever, I’d imagine that for both of them that had more to do with the fact that there appeared to be very little public interest in them in New York, at least.

There was not catastrophic life threatening incident. They blow too much hot air. I actually find it very disrespectful of his mother who died in a genuine catastrophe. Harry needs to grow up.

• Advertisement

Did you read any of the articles? They said there were motorcycles and scooters involved which could easily mount footpaths. Posters so quick to fall over themselves helping out their pal Murdoch and Co to try and prove this didn’t actually happen.

There is only 1 poster here falling over themselves to prove a narrative.

Don't look now.

I read the Washington post article along with CNN and others. It’s clearly alluding to the fact that passers by in general could have been in danger due to the nature of the chase from the paparazzi, not just Harry and Meghan.

From the Washington post:

“In an email to The Post, the spokeswoman said, “This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD officers.”

” The driver said they were pursued by two vehicles: a black Honda Accord and an older gray Honda CR-V.

“They kept following us and were coming next to the car,” Singh said. “They took pictures as we stopped and were filming us.”

Singh, 37, who moved to the U.S. from India as a child, said he got the impression from the group that they had been already pursued by paparazzi before entering his car. After a few minutes, Singh said, the security guard grew concerned about the photographers and asked him to return to the police station. The guard thought they were too exposed and didn’t want their location shared more widely, Singh said.”

Clearly the pursuit and harassment of them post ceremony had them spooked, also concerned they’d learn where they were staying in New York and promote further harassment.

If no one has an interest in them as so many on this thread claim, why would the paps behave like that? Why is this thread always so busy?

No reason to bring this up? Really? He has a case in court at the moment about security where the MET have basically told him to get stuffed. There was the "stalker" at their house and now a two hour car "chase" with paparrazi. Coincidence I am sure.

They're all falling over themselves to help out Rupert Murdoch by pouring cold water on the Sussex version of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,570 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In addition with 90% of people carrying a broadcast quality mobile television studio in their pocket but the lack of any video of the incident makes it up there with the moving statues and UFO's. How RTE quality controls stories coming in before blindly broadcasting them is highly questionable.

Are you now seriously trying to pretend this is somehow to help his court case? The delusion towards Harry and Meghan is beyond comprehension. How many click bait articles to you read a day to feed the hate train? Let’s just walk in your shoes for a second. You’re suggesting Harry, who has had a past traumatic experience as a child of losing his mother to a paparazzi chase, decides to ‘fake’ a similar chase with both his wife Meghan and mother in law Doria in the car with him, post an awards show in which Meghan won an award, all to help himself with a U.K. court case re security. You truly believe they’re some sort of what, ‘evil psychos’ . This sounds believable…not.

I read the Washington post article along with CNN and others. It’s clearly alluding to the fact that passers by in general could have been in danger due to the nature of the chase from the paparazzi, not just Harry and Meghan.

From the Washington post:

“In an email to The Post, the spokeswoman said, “This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD officers.”

” The driver said they were pursued by two vehicles: a black Honda Accord and an older gray Honda CR-V.

“They kept following us and were coming next to the car,” Singh said. “They took pictures as we stopped and were filming us.”

Singh, 37, who moved to the U.S. from India as a child, said he got the impression from the group that they had been already pursued by paparazzi before entering his car. After a few minutes, Singh said, the security guard grew concerned about the photographers and asked him to return to the police station. The guard thought they were too exposed and didn’t want their location shared more widely, Singh said.

“I don’t think I would call it a chase,” Singh said of his period driving the couple. “I never felt like I was in danger. It wasn’t like a car chase in a movie. They were quiet and seemed scared but it’s New York — it’s safe.

Yes I see, interesting. Singh doesn't say anyone seemed spooked (your insertion) or unsafe, just that they were trying to avoid more media attention. They weren't being sniped at, this wasn't Fallujah.

Nobody has argued as far as I can tell, on this thread, that the paparazzi doesn't have an interest in following the royals?

Why this thread is so busy, previously has nothing interesting to do with the particulars of the incident described as "relentless," "catastrophic," etc. - what narrative are you trying to JAQ off about here, just say it. I for one almost completely ignore the pair, as 'the thread' shows receipts for. But them alleging they were in a 'near catastrophe' has made them the talk of most channels of media today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The taxi driver is known to be a buddy of Andrew and has a neck tattoo of Queen Elizabeth. Hes also a racist.

Meg could say the world is flat and her fans would immediately claim it a fact.

Utterly embarassing.

The taxi driver is known to be a buddy of Andrew and has a neck tattoo of Queen Elizabeth. Hes also a racist.

That would be an Austin Powers level twist.

• Advertisement

It's a coincidence. Why would his spokespeople (i.e. people conveying his message) put out a version of events that is utterly exaggerated in comparison to other versions? Do you think the idea that him giving the ok a story where he almost experienced something CATASTROPHIC might just might help his case about security? A case fully expected to be thrown out? Cry hate all you like. Cynicism would be more accurate.

They were photographed arriving. Photographed officially. Photographed giving the speech. Photographed leaving. Photographed in a taxi. And then they were aggressively chased for two hours by paps and people could have died. What kind of unique photos do you think they were trying to get?

Advertisement