Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

Meghan is still part of the family though. Officially "much loved members of the family/ building their lives overseas" anyway. Feeling undefended it was H&M who decided to clap back against the media. I'm sure their family and advisors could see this was them going on a hiding to nothing but ultimately, despite statement requests for media to back off, they made the decision to defend themselves. I can understand them doing that. Meghan largely existed in a white world and it must have been shocking to see media coverage focusing on her race when she was linked to Harry. It was new. American, Actress. Mixed race.

It was guaranteed to get covered extensively. Throw in the drama and press coverage with her own family and mentally this would have been utterly chaotic and draining. You need advice in such circumstances. To strike back is instinctive particularly when such a level of interest and scrutiny hasn't been personally experienced before. Harry had gone through it himself.

My guess is that any talking of them down in regards to fighting the media or tempering them with the idea that the right strategy, one which was difficult to adopt but ultimately worked, was that traditional press will always be a bollox to navigate, that they'd be relentless, that never complain/explain worked but this just proved fruitless. Chuck in Harrys long held vendetta against the media and how they contributed to his mothers death then H&M would take that leap regardless. An unmarried Harry was dating white, blonde women and him falling for Meghan blindsided the royal press. Any new girlfriend was big news regardless but with Meghan it was amplified.

Meghans introduction happened in parallel with social media/smart phones/anonymous accounts being ubiquitous. This marked it out as unique and the ease for bigots, racists, balmpots, attention seekers etc. to exploit her introduction was undeniable. I think the Royal press office simply weren't ready for handling it but it was part of the wider problem of general online abuse/cyber bullying. The never explain/complain strategy worked well for a royal rota/traditional media (keeping friends close but enemies closer) but it needed to be upgraded for the digital age. How, for example, do you deal with online hate of any royal family member?

By the time a tangible strategy could be decided to navigate it H&M, feeling unprotected/thrown/fed to the wolves, were gone feeling they were best served fighting it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Do you refer to other white families as "exclusively white institutions", as if it's somehow wrong? 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I know it’s just a filler article with no substance but a good point raised- the fact the Meaghan has published stories about others for monetary gain, she’s more like her father than she’d be willing to admit . It’s also a huge elephant in the room in terms of her so called brand

https://www.skynews.com.au/lifestyle/celebrity-life/a-breakthrough-in-their-relationship-why-meghan-markle-could-reconcile-with-estranged-father-thomas-markle/news-story/8e44e807f4bc47bb63147cf59da91951?amp&nk=d2c207d6fbd24f343eb86aa8ac27e3f0-1701944408

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They're a pair of massive hypocrites. Harry's family and friends can't have anything to do with them because every conversation they have ends up leaked or in a book. Yet they are the ones who are hard done by and never get privacy?

The latest is that they are the ones who turned down going to that wedding, so as not to make it all about them 🙄 A bit like all these rejected invitations from the king that he never seems to know about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Fascinating article from ten years ago, but everso relevant in view of Bellendgame and the antics of the terrible threesome (H, M and puppet Omid)

The Queen was a very wise woman back in the day.

She realised very quickly that opening her door to a TV crew back in the late 60s or early 70s in the spirit of openness and making the family appear more human was not a great move and she never did it again in quite the same way- the strategy of never complain never explain along with keeping a certain level of distance between the RF and the “people” was there for a reason.

Harry has gone 180 degrees on that and has tried to explain everything (on his terms of course) which we can see has left them both tied up in knots. The RF are like no other high profile class of people when it comes to the media and communications- you just don’t have the same rules of engagement as you would with say an A list Hollywood star - it’s just different.

Harry’s lessons will be well noted by the rest of the family as I’m sure are Andrews, in terms of media engagement- the simple rule is, keep your mouth shut. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Commoner genes

Would you call that "Classist"? Can I leak Saggar's name in my "tell-f-all" autobiography ghost written by Meghan?

I fail to see the relevance.

Or can you point to the part in the article where anyone was concerned of how black a mixed race baby would be?

This was interesting though.

Marriage within a relatively small gene pool, like the royals, means a bad gene has a pretty good chance of rearing its ugly head. The blood clotting disorder hemophilia, for example, has run in the British royal family

• Advertisement

I'm quite happy to keep pointing out that Meghan was the only person who used the word concern and by using concern then the media picked up on a royal race row which caused reputational damage. Job done. F*ck you for not giving us what we want etc.

Meghan does after all have a challenged relationship with the truth. It is quite a normal conversation to talk about what any baby might look like and, in the context of a mixed race couple, it is also possible to talk about race without being racist. As Chris Rock pointed out, even black couples and families talk about how black their baby might be. Harry himself discussed early on what any children they have might look like i.e. would his ginger gene be dominant over Meghans genes and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,031 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

@Be right back beat me to it but I love this:

Catherine’s commoner genes might lead to a somewhat darker-skinned baby, Saggar said.

Skin colour and class - is that concern or unconscious bias? Well, no, it's just normal speculation about who a baby might look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

So the baby wasn’t predicted to be royal white, more commoner white 🤪

I'm quite happy to keep pointing out that Meghan was the only person who used the word concern

What's your point?

She is central to it.

What she says from my perspective would have far more credence then some anonymous lad on the internet who has never met her.

I thought that would be a given.

Believe whatever truth you like. She wasn't even central to it. She wasn't even directly involved in the conversations. What's my point? Once again from the top.

The point is that the only person who has ever said there was concern has, let's just say, a credibility problem and despite having media deals to broadcast, to podcast, to write and despite never signing anything preventing her from speaking her mind we have never been provided any context whatsoever about what she meant by concern. None.

This is some lad on the internet telling you that even Harry and Meghans version of what happened differed. His family reacted by saying recollections may vary. Recollections even varied between Harry and Meghan. It was multiple conversations while she was pregnant then it was one conversation while they were dating. First it was one individual then it was two. Then there were receipts and then there were none. I know I'm talking to someone with a mental rigidity and inflexibility here about the British monarchy but do you not have even the remotest or slightest suspicion that Meghan isn't being exactly honest here? Do you not feel cheated by a lack of context, context which would nail RF racist credentials to the mast?

Post edited by valoren on

Believe whatever truth you like

It's not a case of belief, it's a case of whose opinion I add more weight to.

A lad on the internet or a person central to the allegations.

You can label anyone you want a pathological liar, it might make you felt better but it won't change facts or my perspective on what happened.

That level of discourse is pointless.

I think it's quite a swerve to try to say that "concerns" about Meghan's baby ("What??") are somehow entirely different than wondering whether W&K's first child would be "darker-skinned".

In fact, it's the sort of swerve you would have to make to avoid a "near-catastrophic car chase" in Manhattan. Or to make the manoeuvre into the queue when you are busy getting milkshakes and doing the school drop-off.

It’s obvious and indeed admitted by both Meaghan and indeed Harry that they were out to make money from the off of leaving the RF.

Making money to them meant spilling beans and developing salacious stories about the RF.

Anyone who gives these stories credence or pushes these stories in any communication forum is a complete idiot or a troll or both .

• Advertisement

I think it's quite a swerve to try to say that "concerns" about Meghan's baby ("What??") are somehow entirely different than wondering whether W&K's first child would be "darker-skinned".

One is clearly racist, the other isn't.

Wondering what a baby looks like is not the same as being concerned at what a baby looks like.

This shouldn't be difficult to understand.

So anyone who disagrees with your opinion is either an idiot or a troll?

Why do even bother with a discussion forum?

Reflecting on the choice of the word, "concern" by Meghan, let's not forget that she wasn't present at the conversation that allegedly took place. It's what's called hearsay. And poor acting

Anyway, turning to the accusation that the alleged conversation was "racist", proponents of the racism accusation shouldn't forget that Harry (finally) asserted that it wasn't H&M that accused anybody of racism, it was the British press (!). Damn that unconscious bias.

Yes, allegations i.e. to accuse of wrong doing but not provide evidence. This lad on the internet heard that there were receipts (emails, texts) which would prove the allegations. This lad on the internet is wondering - where are they? I suppose one must never give the milk away for free and I guess we might glean some more details in a money spinning memoir.

I didn't call anyone a "pathological" liar. This isn't a case of she said/I said but dismissively call me a lad on the internet instead of seeing the pretty obvious if it makes you feel better. I agree, this discourse is indeed pointless 👍

Well then why can't we get clarification as to which it is? I mean the PR was very quick to say, nuh uh, they were invited to that wedding but won't be going to avoid an awkward family situation. The same PR that had earlier said they'd be happy to accept an invite to Sandringham for Christmas family din dins where family situations typically tend to arise (🤷‍♂️😀)

So then, two people are named. Can the PR people tell us more on that? Hello?? Crickets. Are pre-orders being taken yet?

Yes, allegations i.e. to accuse of wrong doing but not provide evidence.

Her account is evidence.

Some lad on the internet asking for receipts isn't.

There’s no prizes for guessing where you stand anyway on my post- you’ve made that very clear in your wording. Thanks 😍

Her account is her (second hand) version of events. There are no other cited allegations of racism from Meghan. Helpfully we were told by Janina Gavankar on ITV that there were emails and texts to prove the allegation. Gayle King from CBS also said there were receipts for the allegation. You know, something like an email or text/whatsapp exchanges to confirm the concerns. As we know, we've seen Whatsapp exchanges published by them so reasonable to ask for some more to....prove the allegations. In fairness to them both I'll give them Gavankar and King the benefit of the doubt and say perhaps they were told these were actually available and then that maybe turned out not to be the case.

Sincerley,

The lad off the Internet.

• Advertisement

The inane, manifesting PR. The relentless, now contradictory PR. They'd be happy to go to Sandringham (but weren't asked). They actually were invited to a family wedding (but weren't)

It would be very helpful if Harry and Meghan actually spoke for themselves to remove any ambiguity i.e. stop the agency creating stories from insiders, sources close to etc. It keeps them in the headlines I suppose.

Advertisement