Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

Probably as she is recovering from what appears to be fairly major surgery?! Nothing strange there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

Or The Mail, aware of the letters existence via Peoples article, offered Markle a lot of money for exclusive rights and he accepted their offer.

Post edited by valoren on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I've read somewhere that US tabloids are not allowed to pay for stories. Even if I'm right, it's very clear that they get paid to print fluff pieces that are submitted by various PR spinners.

In some ways, it's irrelevant whether Thomas Markle was/was not paid by the DM. The simple fact remains that Harry very recently said, in Whistler, “Throughout all of these families, I see it on a day-to-day basis, again, the strength of the family unit coming together. So, yeah, I think any illness, any sickness, brings families together. I see it time and time again, and that makes me very happy.” However, Thomas Markle, aged 79 and the survivor of two heart attacks and a stroke, has never met Prince Harry, and Meghan didn't visit him after any of the health problems.

So much for the strength of the family unit.

My problems with H&M are around the double standards, the disconnect between words and deeds, practice and preach, and their breathtaking à la carte approach to their conduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

What a Dad! And you wonder why Meghan doesn't make contact with him and introduce him to her children.

Interesting that the US press don't publish anything from the Markles. I wonder is that because they won't pay for interviews?

Sometimes, for your own good, you have to cut off toxic family members.

Why would Meghan trust her father (that sold her private letters, gave interviews knocking her to the Daily Mail) to not sell photos of her children to the British media for them to criticise them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

That’s nothing to do with Harry.

It’s Megan’s choice, her family and her history with her father selling news stories and printing personal letters. Absolutely no business of Harry’s.. always annoys me when people think a wife has no say in her own destiny and must follow her husband’s words or deeds. Dark ages and some.

If I had him as a father, he would continue to get short shrift, totally untrustworthy. That printed letter was an utter betrayal. And if they do have a relationship with him now, I’m guessing, it'll be in the strictest of confidence and totally contained.

Absolute hypocrisy to infer the RF should not have anything to do with M&H for what they did, rightly or wrongly.. then to use that same stick to beat Harry up about Megan's father.

Again, this is cherry-picking to the extreme and double standards.

No. Nothing strange about that. No one has seen her for 6 weeks and told she will be taking 3 months off.

It sounds like rehab to me.

He sold his story to the media. It is a mystery indeed why H&M don't make contact. Peas in a Pod and all that. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 23,604 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Or it sounds like she wants privacy?

As has been explained to you many times, once you avoid Oprah, writing/promoting autobiographies, getting into invisible high speed car chases, and as many photoshoots as possible, its really not that hard to remain private.

He had the letter for six months. No one knew about the letter until the People magazine article which amounted to throwing him under the bus for the breakdown in their relationship. The question then becomes if that article wasn't published would he have sold his story? Considering he didn't immediately go to the press upon receipt of that letter then it can be inferred that he had no plans to make it public. Until he got trashed in an article which made public the existence of that letter and, provoked, gave his side of the story.

Even if someone is unlikeable and untrustworthy they still have a right of reply to defend themselves and their reputation. We never got know who those five friends were in the end. Interestingly they remained anonymous in an article where they were supposedly being truthful and supportive.

Post edited by valoren on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Or recuperating from serious surgery, perhaps? Is everything a conspiracy theory with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

And none of what you’ve written makes the slightest difference.. facts are facts. What happened, happened. It’s her family, her right and her choice, not her husband’s

One could easily, tit for tat, go through why the other side did what they did to minimise it with ad-nauseam reasoning.

You either take it as right or wrong, that’s everyone’s prerogative.

However, I’m calling out the double standards and the extreme cherry-picking. You can’t on one hand call out Harry for hypocrisy not to forgive & forget while giving the RF a pass on their choices.

An argument based on hate and subjective media fed “feelings” is no argument at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

My problems with H&M are around the double standards, the disconnect between words and deeds, practice and preach, and their breathtaking à la carte approach to their conduct.

Yep - spot on. I think that’s the feeling with a lot of posters in this thread. While I do partake in mocking, I’ve also expressed genuine concern as a human being and someone with life experience, that Meaghan is going to experience extreme regret in years to come as to how she treated her father- once you’re gone you’re gone- too late for regrets after he passes.

Now is the time for reconciliation - it doesn’t have to be all happy families but it certainly needs to at least become civil. Meaghan is desperately looking for an “angle” on which to hang her branding hat on- the answer is much closer to home than she thinks. She won’t be a credible person lecturing others about positivity and whatever other psychobabble she chooses, if she can’t get her own house in order.

If her father, unprovoked, had gone to the Mail off his own back with that letter then he would be roundly and rightly condemned for cashing in. I would understand Meghan cutting someone untrustworthy like that off. Just like I can understand why Harrys family would give him short shrift. He had a right to reply. Having five friends speaking anonymously on her behalf and her father clapping back is understandable. Was that so surprising? Or expected and wanted? Who knows. In essence, that side started it. And in the end it was all a phyrric victory with £1 awarded and a burnished reputation. Engage in manipulation of public opinion and it can backfire. Recent example being Harry and his spin about his security case.

What choices have the royal family made? I'm happy to criticise any examples. Again this idea of hate crops up. And being incapable of forming an individual opinion stemming from public people engaging in their publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

Catherine couldn't possibly have a need for surgery that keep her out of the limelight. So it must be rehab.

“Sometimes, for your own good, you have to cut off toxic family members.”

Exactly. And that’s why William seems to have zero interest in any contact with Harry

As is often the case with H&M, you’re cherry picking the bits that suit your “argument”. It’s a Janus faced approach.

That is a logical fallacy; actually I think it is a "Burden of Truth Fallacy", to be specific. As you are asserting/suggesting/insinuating (please delete as appropriate - it's still wild and unsubstantiated speculation, to say the least) that Catherine is in rehab, it is beholden on you to prove it. It is not enough to claim that it is true until someone else can prove that it is not true. Similarly, it is also ridiculous to say that it is true because it's not possible to prove that it is false.

Whatever procedure Catherine has had, it is entirely a private matter. You wouldn't want your personal medical condition to be discussed, debated, speculated upon, garrulously posted about online. Or would you? Another case of double standards on your part, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

So it’s private for Catherine but if it was Harry or Meghan, that’s fair game and the leaks, speculation, royal experts that would inevitably be paraded out is all ok? We must all accept these blatant double standards unquestionably as the uncritical thinkers we are because the media told us so🙄.

Why don’t we have a picture of Kate recovering? Leaving hospital? Even a grainy one?

Where are her family? Why no photos? Turns out photos of Pippa Middleton on holiday recently shown in tabloid papers are old - that’s strange.

The British public pay and fund the Monarchy, don’t they have a right to some more information? Some papers mooted a 9 month recovery period - are you suggesting no one should mention, ask or wonder what happened to Kate at all during that time? Why isn’t anyone in the British media asking these questions? Why the radio silence? They can’t seem to keep quiet about Harry and Meghan for just walking down the street, or driving in a car. William cuts a lonely figure going to the BAFTAS today alone.

If this is how easily led some posters are re Harry and Meghan, wonder how easily led they are about other more serious topics.

And your point is? Read my post again. Catherine's medical records etc are private. Perhaps if you want to disclose all your medical records, you can claim the moral high ground. Even then, Catherine's will still be private.

Hands up anyone who knew that Meghan was suicidal until she said she was suicidal? Anyone?

It's as if confidential and private personal/medical issues in the Royal family were/are successfully kept private and confidential.

Now considering that Kate required surgery which requires weeks of recuperation time and an absence wouldn't go unnoticed then a general update to explain what was happening was given out. As to what the actually details of what was involved are then it is private and confidential.

• Advertisement

Ah, where did I say that William and Harry should reconcile? From what I can see, William is a bully and Harry should keep well out of his way. His father though is a different kettle of fish. While I think Charles is a very selfish spoilt brat, its probably not his fault that he is and he is probably been bullied by William.

Its just my opinion that it must be rehab bearing in mind the lack of workers in the firm with KCIII's health issues as well.

Harry didn't like his medical issues discussed either - i.e., frost bitten penis were he ended up having to visit the doctor by going in the boot of a friend's car (all that nonsense about him trying to treat it himself by being told to use Elizabeth Arden cream by a friend being turned into something weird) was just a cover up as to how little privacy he was given by the press or the time he hurt/broke his hand playing rugby and was all over the tabloids. And he was a child then.

You & others on this thread have mocked H&M for wanting privacy and pretend to be unable to distinguish the difference between having a public life attending events and being able to blow your nose without it making front page headlines.

I'm glad you have come to realise what their request for privacy is about. Now explain why you can understand Kate's desire for privacy that she is given even though she is fully funded by the taxpayer, but H&M are to be mocked for looking for the same kind of privacy.

This is really Alice in Wonderland stuff. I'm suggesting that you cherry pick your "arguments" - one approach for Harry, the opposite for the RF.

Harry told the story of his frostbitten "todger", including the use of his mother's favourite Elizabeth Arden Cream. He also wrote about William's circumcision. Does Harry have a "todger fascination"? If yes, why? Did it start when the sausages were unequally distributed? Little boys discuss their "todgers", not - in my experience - middle aged men. Harry popped his "todger" into the book. Maybe he should have left that little vignette out of the narrative.

As usual, you portray Harry as the perpetual victim. "Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me!" Harry brings it upon himself. Carry on, Harry!

(With apologies to the "Carry On" films).

I'm glad you have come to realise what their request for privacy is about

I think that, in a previous post, you denied that H&M had ever asked for Privacy. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,604 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Katherine is doing what Meggy never could and is NOT attention seeking. Hence privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I’m finding it extraordinary that something so private and personal is being “demanded” to become public. Whilst I can think of one or two serious medical procedures that could necessitate this prolonged spell of rest and recuperation, I mean who cares what it is, as long as Kate makes a full recovery - that’s all that matters here.

This is the article that appeared in People. What upset him so much that he had to publish her letter in the Mail?

Can you explain why her father didn't answer her phone calls or phone him herself. He had her number.

Who is demanding anything? The UK public are meant to lap up every ribbon cutting ceremony etc. but then she can disappear off the job for 3 or 4 months and its all private. After giving birth, the women have to parade themselves a day after to the ''public''. And Meghan was criticised for not doing the same. What about her privacy. Do you think it was ok for her to do that.

Post edited by jm08 on

• Advertisement

Well, there’s a few posters on here demanding photographic evidence, proof of life, access to Catherine’s private medical records, radiographic and echo soundings. I exaggerate, but you get my drift. And there are a few others plucking random thoughts and spectacular insinuations from the same place used so effectively by Anglo.

Advertisement