Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

walshb wrote: »
    media whores........
    an out and out Floozy!

It's hard to take you seriously when you can't make your point without this kind of name calling.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I never got this poor Diana nonsense

Another one portrayed as a complete victim

A woman who married a man that she KNEW was in love with someone else....

And everything that happened after is all the RFs fault?

Di courted publicity like no other.....

Knocking around with every Tom, Dick and Harry.....an out and out Floozy!

At least Charles stuck to the one he actually loved....

I quite liked Diana, and she did leave a brilliant legacy. But she was a troubled person who thought that she could control the media to her advantage. We all know how that ended up. If Harry is worried about history repeating itself with his wife and children then he'd want to stop agreeing to interviews.

As for Diana, for someone who was devastated that her husband loved another woman she showed scant regard for the wives of Khan and Carling and how they may have felt at there being 'three in their marriage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There is no comparison between Diana and Meghan.
    Diana was coopted into the royals at 19 as a pretty virgin bulimic to essentially bear children and be the respectable beard Charles hid behind while he had an affair with a married woman.

She got married to discover her relationship was a sham and was mother of the future king by 20. She was genuinely trapped until Charles disposed of her. She had zero support and basically was a kid. She was dead before she reached the age Meghan met Harry at. She did a tv interview because she was threatened and believed if she didn't tell her own story someone else would.

Meghan was a worldly woman and has had nothing but adoration from her husband and has been safely cosseted within her marriage. She's gone on tv to whine that her son won't be a prince and that everyone won't unquestioningly adore her.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

sebdavis wrote: »
    What point? I don't see any in your posts. Just a lot of name calling.

Back to the original question, do you understand the difference in types of media? e.g Harry creating a show about mental health and someone hanging off a motor bike to get a photo of Harry's children?

Or going on a chat show to slag off your family?

Yes, I know all about types of media

And Harry and Meghan do as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Her family wanted the prestige of being linked to the royal line. She could have gone to them and moved under their protection. The tell all interview was aired when her sons were in boarding school. Far better ways she could have protected herself rather than airing it all out, a small bit of discretion would have avoided all this. No proof that Charles ever had an affair as he was discreet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Was she though? I’d be very au fait with American celebrity culture, read a lot of online sites and watch American celebrity news because I am a huge loser, but I’d never heard of her. Granted I’d never seen Suits so that might be part of it. I’d say she was moderately famous, not a “huge star”. Not by American standards anyway.

Second highest rated show in the US behind Game of Thrones with a quick google. She was one of the major stars in the Show probably just behind the main actor. Personally I would say that would be her in the "big star" category. Not sure who said "Huge star"

It's hard to take you seriously when you can't make your point without this kind of name calling.

Seriously,

Why are you so bent out of shape over a word here?

Floozy is a word that IMO fits Diana's behaviors......get over yourself

Males have a word for that as well, albeit more "sought" after and revered.....

That's life......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Second highest rated show in the US behind Game of Thrones with a quick google. She was one of the major stars in the Show probably just behind the main actor

I’ve no doubt the show was successful, that much is clear. I’ve also no doubt that she was well known, but I don’t buy that she was a “big star” in America. That’s a title reserved for people who attend the Oscars. She was famous but not a big star.

I’ve no doubt the show was successful, that much is clear. I’ve also no doubt that she was well known, but I don’t buy that she was a “big star” in America. That’s a title reserved for people who attend the Oscars. She was famous but not a big star.

Sorry I update my post

I never said "huge star", I said a "big star" which she was. As I posted it was the second highest rated show after Game of Thrones.

Edit you updated post to change from huge to big :-)
    She worked in TV, not in films so she wouldn't attend the oscars. Second highest rated show in US and is all over platforms across the World. No idea how anyone would say she isnt a big star? what would you call her?

Sorry I update my post

I never said "huge star", I said a "big star" which she was. As I posted it was the second highest rated show after Game of Thrones.

Edit you updated post to change from huge to big :-)
    She worked in TV, not in films so she wouldn't attend the oscars. Second highest rated show in US and is all over platforms across the World. No idea how anyone would say she isnt a big star? what would you call her?

She was neither a huge star or a big star. In the superficial hierarchy of celebrities ranging from huge star to small star she was probably mid centre. She certainly wouldn’t be of the status to be fandangoing with the likes of Oprah. You have a different opinion and that is fine, but I’d wager many would agree that she was not a huge star, regardless of how successful her series happened to be. And TV stars regularly attend the Oscars.

• Advertisement

This is getting absurd now

Are folks really trying to say that Meghan was a big start pre Harry?

Nobody worth a damn had ever heard of her pre Harry...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

That's probably why they got together- neither of them had heard of the other.

She was neither a huge star or a big star. In the superficial hierarchy of celebrities ranging from huge star to small star she was probably mid centre. She certainly wouldn’t be of the status to be fandangoing with the likes of Oprah. You have a different opinion and that is fine, but I’d wager many would agree that she was not a huge star, regardless of how successful her series happened to be.

Nobody apart from you said she is a huge star. I said she was a big star.
    Sorry but a "huge" difference in the two. As you said Oprah is a huge star but nobody made that comparison apart from you.

She was the main actress in a hugely successful US tv show, which was broadcast all over the World with huge success everywhere including Ireland.

I honestly have no idea what point you are trying to make to cover the initial error you made. Talking about oscars when she was in a TV shows, the equivalent in TV Shows is the Emmys which she did attend.

Nobody apart from you said she is a huge star. I said she was a big star.
    Sorry but a "huge" difference in the two. As you said Oprah is a huge star but nobody made that comparison apart from you.

She was the main actress in a hugely successful US tv show, which was broadcast all over the World with huge success everywhere including Ireland.

I honestly have no idea what point you are trying to make to cover the initial error you made. Talking about oscars when she was in a TV shows, the equivalent in TV Shows is the Emmys which she did attend.

And I’m saying she was neither. This is getting boring now.

This is getting absurd now

Are folks really trying to say that Meghan was a big start pre Harry?

Nobody worth a damn had ever heard of her pre Harry...

Apart from all the people who watched Suits....a fanbase which was Worldwide

And I’m saying she was neither. This is getting boring now.

For someone who claimed to be "au fait with American celebrity culture", you don't seem to know much about it the culture do you? talking about the Oscars for a TV actress was a huge faux pas

So strange how Piers Morgan was hounded out of a job for no tangible reason. Because he disagreed with Meghan? He is being tainted with the racist brush as well, not that he said anything racist, but for some reason apparently he is racist?

And Sharon Osbourne defended his right to an opinion, and somehow that makes HER a racist as well? And now she is bullied into apologising for doing nothing wrong.

I honestly start to believe that we are inching closer to a race war in the US/UK. Might be 20 year time, might be 50 years time. Not with this incident, but every year that passes by the sense of logic and common sense is being eroded.

Apart from all the people who watched Suits....a fanbase which was Worldwide

Ok, I would consider myself fairly up on things, and I never ever heard of her

Of course anyone who watches a certain show would know her

And I had heard of the show, Suits, but knew nobody in it.

I am talking about some sort of ubiquity

She was nowhere near well known on the way others would be...

And the first thing I thought when she and Harry got together, was her going from a nobody in relative terms, to above anyone else as regards status and name recognition. Royalty are above everyone in this regard....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

So strange how Piers Morgan was hounded out of a job for no tangible reason. Because he disagreed with Meghan? He is being tainted with the racist brush as well, not that he said anything racist, but for some reason apparently he is racist?

And Sharon Osbourne defended his right to an opinion, and somehow that makes HER a racist as well? And now she is bullied into apologising for doing nothing wrong.

I honestly start to believe that we are inching closer to a race war in the US/UK. Might be 20 year time, might be 50 years time. Not with this incident, but every year that passes by the sense of logic and common sense is being eroded.

Oh come on. Morgan was hardly hounded out- he is a big boy.

He threw a monster tantrum because MM dismissed the notion they were close buddies. His poor ego could not take it and he had a bee in his bonnet ever since.

Regardless of what you might think of MM (personally I have no real opinion one way or another) Morgan has ony shown himself to be petty and vindictive. She rendered him an irrelevance in her world and he can't handle it.

Ok, I would consider myself fairly up on things, and I never ever heard of her

Of course anyone who watches a certain show would know her

And I had heard of the show, Suits, but knew nobody in it.

I am talking about some sort of ubiquity

She was nowhere near well known on the way others would be...

And the first thing I thought when she and Harry got together, was her going from a nobody in relative terms, to above anyone else as regards status and name recognition. Royalty are above everyone in this regard....

Zara Philips is royalty and is married to an ex English rugby player :P according to Wiki she is similar in line to the throne as Harry

Just because you haven't heard of something means nobody else does? bit of a complex with that statement. As I posted, second highest rated show in the US. Yet we shoudl discount her celebrity status because you didn't hear of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That's probably why they got together- neither of them had heard of the other.

Two naive innocents thrown into the media spotlight ..

Oh come on. Morgan was hardly hounded out- he is a big boy.

He threw a monster tantrum because MM dismissed the notion they were close buddies. His poor ego could not take it and he had a bee in his bonnet ever since.

Regardless of what you might think of MM (personally I have no real opinion one way or another) Morgan has ony shown himself to be petty and vindictive. She rendered him an irrelevance in her world and he can't handle it.

He lost his job after more than 40,000 complaints including from Meghan herself. That's counts as "hounded out of a job" in my books.

Yes he was loud and annoying but that's not something that should cause someone to lose their job. But I don't think he did or said anything that he should be forced to apologise for. There is this ridiculous notion that he was behaving in a racist way just for daring to question Meghan. And Sharon Osbourne defending his right to an opinion is considered "racist" as well apparently. It's insanity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Seriously,

Why are you so bent out of shape over a word here?

Floozy is a word that IMO fits Diana's behaviors......get over yourself

Dial it back a bit walshb, there's no need for the aggressive tone

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

He wasn't hounded out. He walked out in embarrassment because his co-host called him on his sour grapes, and the fact he is bitter because she snubbed him. He moaned in several interviews how Meghan ghosted him because she met Harry the next day after meeting him for a drink.

So he was bitter because he had some bonkers notion that she was basically going to marry him because she conformed to Californian notions of politeness when he met her, and not British ones. Caifornians are really friendly and engaged with everyone, without necessarily meaning anything by it - it's just how to be polite in California.

Doubt he is racist; just infantile and delusional.

She rendered him an irrelevance in her world and he can't handle it.

He was "relevant" when she was a nobody and it suited her. Just like many other people in her life, he was ghosted and dropped like a ton of bricks when he was no longer useful. It's just a strange way to behave, even in the celeb world.

He was "relevant" when she was a nobody and it suited her. Just like many other people in her life, he was ghosted and dropped like a ton of bricks when he was no longer useful. It's just a strange way to behave, even in the celeb world.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/03/history-piers-morgan-comments-on-meghan-markle
    Good view of the "disagreement" which was all on his side.

This is the best bit, what a clown

“My take on her was she’s very beautiful, she’s very intelligent, she’s 35, she’s been divorced, her dad’s Black, her mum’s white, and she had some problems with that growing up,” he said on GMB, perhaps confusing Meghan with her Suits character, Rachel Zane, whose father was played by Wendell Pierce. (Meghan’s mother is Black and her father is white.)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/03/history-piers-morgan-comments-on-meghan-markle
    Good view of the "disagreement" which was all on his side.

This is the best bit, what a clown

“My take on her was she’s very beautiful, she’s very intelligent, she’s 35, she’s been divorced, her dad’s Black, her mum’s white, and she had some problems with that growing up,” he said on GMB, perhaps confusing Meghan with her Suits character, Rachel Zane, whose father was played by Wendell Pierce. (Meghan’s mother is Black and her father is white.)

Straight from the horse's mouth
    https://twitter.com/meghamohan/status/1370113350621872128?s=20

Zara Philips is royalty and is married to an ex English rugby player :P according to Wiki she is similar in line to the throne as Harry

Just because you haven't heard of something means nobody else does? bit of a complex with that statement. As I posted, second highest rated show in the US. Yet we shoudl discount her celebrity status because you didn't hear of it.

Not sure if you are being deliberately obtuse here

Nobody said that nobody knew Meghan

But in any type global sense, she was a complete unknown pre Harry

Nobody knew her....this is about context

Stop taking things so literally....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

if you disagree with a female work colleague and go on about it all day every day you'd be fired for bullying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

grassylawn wrote: »
    He wasn't hounded out. He walked out in embarrassment because his co-host called him on his sour grapes, and the fact he is bitter because she snubbed him. He moaned in several interviews how Meghan ghosted him because she met Harry the next day after meeting him for a drink.

So he was bitter because he had some bonkers notion that she was basically going to marry him because she conformed to Californian notions of politeness when he met her, and not British ones. Caifornians are really friendly and engaged with everyone, without necessarily meaning anything by it - it's just how to be polite in California.

Doubt he is racist; just infantile and delusional.

He stormed off his own show. Did he quit or was he pushed? All he had to do was say I don’t believe her and leave it at that. Seemed to take it all too personally.

It is a bit strange that she ghosted him though. A simple kiss off message would have done the trick.

Advertisement