Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

sebdavis wrote: »
    For someone who claimed to be "au fait with American celebrity culture", you don't seem to know much about it the culture do you? talking about the Oscars for a TV actress was a huge faux pas

Do you think that TV stars don’t attend Oscars? They do. Especially the red carpet. Some also present awards. Obviously they’re not nominated but that’s not what I meant. By virtue of even being invited makes them big stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Penn wrote: »

Sounds like a desperate old man

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Penn wrote: »

Funny that she was his "kind of girl" until she didn't want to have any kind of relationship with him. Hell hath no fury like a Piers scorned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Do you think that TV stars don’t attend Oscars? They do. Especially the red carpet. Some also present awards. Obviously they’re not nominated but that’s not what I meant. By virtue of even being invited makes them big stars.

Keep digging. It's funny now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

He was "relevant" when she was a nobody and it suited her. Just like many other people in her life, he was ghosted and dropped like a ton of bricks when he was no longer useful. It's just a strange way to behave, even in the celeb world.

From what I gather they met a few times out socially. Big deal. Clearly it meant far more to Morgan than to MM. I would have thought 'celeb' circles are shallow places with all sorts of superficial fleeting "relationships".

I think Morgan believed that he would have direct access to MM and thought he was on to a winner. All the inside goss and his retirement fund sorted.

Anyway that is Morgan's not very ohbjective version. She has never said anything about him as far as I am aware- that is probably worse. She refuses to take the bait.

Morgan seems to have it in his head that she owes him a close friendship because a few social interactions. That's weird.

Morgan: "Hey everyone MM is my close personal buddy. How great is that!"
    MM: "Who?"
    (Morgan: *explodes* with indignation)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Was that not widely known? She met him once for a drink, and didn't stay in touch. That's all. That's what fueled his entire campaign. Whatever you think about Harry and Meghan, what Morgan did to her is basically a media mogul level stalking campaign.

if you disagree with a female work colleague and go on about it all day every day you'd be fired for bullying

If any work colleague is constantly being a dishonest hypocrite, bullying others but then claiming victim status at every opportunity, then it's not bullying to disagree with that and call it out.

Apart from all the people who watched Suits....a fanbase which was Worldwide

I watched Suits and I honestly couldn't tell you the name of most of the actors. They are not like the cast of Friends

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

200k signatures to have Morgan re-instated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Keep digging. It's funny now

You’re taking this quite personally. To those who watched Suits, she was known. To everyone else, she was unknown. That’s not how “big stars”’work. Nobody wrote about her before she met Harry because nobody had any interest. And that’s the truth of it.

• Advertisement

Morgan has done one thing though and this may actually be his tactic..stealing MM's thunder. There is almost as much chat about him than her at this stage.

Good man Morgan, make it all about you and steal the ******'s thunder. Well played.

https://twitter.com/nadinebh_/status/1370040630232150017?s=19

I'm sure they'll be as complimentary about Meghan's next outfit...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If any work colleague is constantly being a dishonest hypocrite, bullying others but then claiming victim status at every opportunity, then it's not bullying to disagree with that and call it out.

It is actually , it’s not illegal to be lying hypocrite but it is bullying for a man to hound a woman if she feels bullied

valoren wrote: »
    200k signatures to have Morgan re-instated.

I'd say the 41,000 complaints to Ofcom carries more weight than some online petition.

It is actually , it’s not illegal to be lying hypocrite but it is bullying for a man to hound a woman if she feels bullied

Why do you keep bringing gender into it? Bullying is bullying regardless of people's identity.

If someone is bullying in the workplace, they should be disciplined, obviously.

When someone points out the hypocrisy, dis-ingenuousness and bullying of another person, that is not in itself bullying, despite how the bully might "feel" about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Id say She was a star of a successful show, she wasnt a mega star, she wasnt a break out star, but she was part of a scucessful show.

She was arguably a struggling actress until her break with Suits. She wasnt the star of the show, nor was she a breakout star who became big from the role.

I wouldnt call her a big star, a star of the show. Similar to Dave Fautino of Married With Children (a very successful show worldwide) or James Ford of Lost (also very succesful). She did nothing of note outside of the successful show. She had some fame, yes.

Her relationship with Harry is what made her a household name.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    He stormed off his own show. Did he quit or was he pushed? All he had to do was say I don’t believe her and leave it at that. Seemed to take it all too personally.

It is a bit strange that she ghosted him though. A simple kiss off message would have done the trick.

Exactly. I don't know why she didn't get one of her assistants to just drop him a text saying that she needed to keep a low profile blah blah blah. He is a very prominent media figure, I don't understand why you would burn a bridge like that. If it was me I would want to be on good terms with most people I meet. I just don't understand that mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

You’re taking this quite personally. To those who watched Suits, she was known. To everyone else, she was unknown. That’s not how “big stars”’work. Nobody wrote about her before she met Harry because nobody had any interest. And that’s the truth of it.

Just out of curiosity, have any of the people she used to work with come out since to say what she was like to work with or to be around?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

I'd say the 41,000 complaints to Ofcom carries more weight than some online petition.

Noted it simply for balance and obviously no comparison in terms of formal/informal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

valoren wrote: »
    Noted it simply for balance and obviously no comparison.

Its far too easy for people to complain these days.

They complained because they didn't like his opinion. Just change the channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, have any of the people she used to work with come out since to say what she was like to work with or to be around?

It is unlikely anyone will unless they are aiming to solicit attention from the left and the right, these days you can't have an opinion and say it publicly without someone getting offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's some amount of fake outrage alright

All because he said he didn't believe her suicide claim....

200000 is way more than 41000, not matter what platform it is...

41,000 complaints is mental. I often wonder do people seriously spend their time looking up the phone number for the regulator and then dialing the number and spending their time and money to complain to someone in a call centre? It's off-topic I know but I just can't picture anyone actually doing it. I'm not criticising people who it, of course they are within their rights to voice their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Tazium wrote: »
    It is unlikely anyone will unless they are aiming to solicit attention from the left and the right, these days you can't have an opinion and say it publicly without someone getting offended.

It would be interesting though, surely if she was such a diva when she joined the royal family there would have been hints of it in past jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Exactly. I don't know why she didn't get one of her assistants to just drop him a text saying that she needed to keep a low profile blah blah blah. He is a very prominent media figure, I don't understand why you would burn a bridge like that. If it was me I would want to be on good terms with most people I meet. I just don't understand that mindset.

It's Piers Morgan, why would we assume that he was nice to her? Perhaps she cut off contact simply because he was unpleasant, patronising, pervy etc the way he is to other women even while on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

https://twitter.com/halfadams/status/1367882070098288642?s=20

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/markle-adams-oprah-cowan-gavankar-b1813728.html
    Suits writer Jon Cowan also took to Twitter to support Meghan, and said she was a pleasure to work with on the TV show.

“It’s also possible the Duchess of Sussex is a good person thrust into an unimaginable world,” he tweeted.

“Having spent 3 years working with her in her pre-Duchess days, I saw a warm, kind, caring person. I know nothing of her current situation but she gets the benefit of the doubt in my book.”

Director Silver Tree explained on Instagram that Meghan had been a good friend, who was there for her family during difficult times.

“When my son was going through a scary, complicated diagnosis she is the friend who stopped everything and helped map out, step by step, how we would navigate things,”she wrote.

“She called all the people, all the places when I was too paralyzed to form a plan. That’s another one of her gifts - making you feel like you can get through anything.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMDrYQzn1QE/?utm_source=ig_embed
    "After our greeting, she got right to business: getting to know my friends. She was so curious about each of them, relishing the time... with them. Disarming them with her charm and genuine curiosity. I was so touched. By this point I had known and worked with Meg for years. She's what I'd call 'an on-call friend.' At the ready. She's modeled nothing but generous professionalism on sets and an even more generous friendship in private. And on that night, she took my friends as her own. I've learned so much from Meg. The power of a handwritten note. The loveliness of surprise flowers. That she has a perpetual rolodex in her brain of recommendations for the heart, soul, & body. When I'm headed to a new town, there’s a hotel or dinner reservation at the ready, as well as a connection with one of her friends to show me around so I feel less alone. She's been there for me - and physically held me - in my darkest hours: After my dad died. After a gut wrenching break up she brought me into her home & nursed me back to health. Soup & salad waiting in the kitchen, just, if I needed it. She's taken my son in as her own. I can’t tell you the value of having another working mother I can lean on when with the pressures of visibility & child-rearing woes become overwhelming. She's always been a safe harbor for me, someone I can fall apart in front of... and with. And I have."

She continued with a story about watching Meghan interact with a young girl at a Sentabale Charity polo match where Harry was playing:

"Meg went over to the girl, who couldn't have been more than 10. Thirty seconds in, the two were conversing back and forth in Spanish. Laughing," Abigail said. "I could tell that that little girl saw herself in Meghan. M could communicate with her in her native language, and in the deeper language of the heart. I saw that little girl's life change before my eyes. Meghan told her she could be anything she wanted to be and do anything she wanted with her life."

The least positive thing I saw from the first few pages on Google were Wendell Pierce who played her father, complaining about the insignificance of the interview itself. But the next day he posted tweets clarifying his comments
    https://twitter.com/WendellPierce/status/1369457266177490945?s=20

So yeah, she seems like a real b*tch.

41,000 complaints is mental. I often wonder do people seriously spend their time looking up the phone number for the regulator and then dialing the number and spending their time and money to complain to someone in a call centre? It's off-topic I know but I just can't picture anyone actually doing it. I'm not criticising people who it, of course they are within their rights to voice their opinions.

It's alot alright, third highest since Ofcom's inception I believe. Such a sensitive subject was always likely to provoke a backlash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Yes, many have come out to say nothing but good things about her.

This guy came out swinging-

https://twitter.com/halfadams/status/1367882078558121988

Yeah if you are about to marry into the Royal Family...Piers Morgan is the last guy you want hanging around like a bad smell waiting to hoover up any little piece of gossip.

I mean, he is nothing more than a tabloid hack that feeds off other people like a parasite.

In fact she may very well have been gently advised to drop him asap. He was shunted out of her circle of trust and he hates it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Whatever she did or didn't do to placate the ego of Piers Morgan doesn't justify the obsession he had with her in tearing her apart. She certainly wasn't on bad terms with him, and owed him nothing, but clearly he (and you?) thought she did based off one meeting.

Advertisement