Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

JoChervil wrote: »

Canadian police were doing it on behalf of British police and the British were paying them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Oprah must have missed that too. Deary me, it's almost like no research went into it, or it was purely a pro-Meggers and Hostage publicity stunt.

The latter surely couldn't be true? Could it ...? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Another part that make me roll my eyes was when Harry said his brother and father are trapped in their roles. God help them being multimillionaires all because they have 'royal blood'. Try being trapped in a nine to five paycheck to paycheck job.

The real world hit the lad pretty hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

bubblypop wrote: »
    Canadian police were doing it on behalf of British police and the British were paying them to do it.

So why Canadians signed a petition about it then?

So why Canadians signed a petition about it then?

How should i know? Perhaps it was nothing to do with money?

• Advertisement

The whole family have been ridiculed for years and years. Diana, Fergie, Charles, Kate, Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie. Diana’s phone was tapped, Charles and Camilla had a mortifying intimate conversation splashed across all of the papers, Kate had topless photos printed of her, really really intrusive stuff, her weight scrutinised, Beatrice and Eugenie had extremely derogatory stuff written about their looks. The whole family was mocked on Spitting Image. But Meghan dismisses all of that and reckons the treatment she got was worse because of stupid headlines about avocados and making Kate cry

And probably no one would mention avocado, if she didn't claim, she is environmentally conscious while flying private jets. Such people are naturally harshly judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They're just not remotely credible, sympathetic or relatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Another part that make me roll my eyes was when Harry said his brother and father are trapped in their roles. God help them being multimillionaires all because they have 'royal blood'. Try being trapped in a nine to five paycheck to paycheck job.

The real world hit the lad pretty hard.

They’re lucky they have their millions to provide a life of luxury for themselves. Imagine if they left and hadn’t a bean and had to go working in the likes of Tesco or do an actual days work. They wouldn’t be long running back to being “trapped”

How should i know? Perhaps it was nothing to do with money?

"In January, thousands of Canadians signed a petition demanding that the couple pay their own security costs after estimates placed their protection at a cost of $10m to $30m a year."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

10-30million a year? For security? You could hire the French foreign legion for cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"In January, thousands of Canadians signed a petition demanding that the couple pay their own security costs after estimates placed their protection at a cost of $10m to $30m a year."

Probably because it's unlikely they had a load of personnel hidden in a cupboard in one of their police stations that could be easily brought out to cover the security.

So they were being paid to protect 2 now minor royals at the expense of proper policing.

Ok, so maybe Canada had to pay for some of the security. There does seem to be a bit of confusion over the whole thing.
    Obviously no police force wanted to pay for it!
    Can't see why they should

• Site Banned Posts: 21 U2erthy

All this scandel will kill the queen and prince philip

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Only working senior royals get security, so once they left and stopped "working" they lost all the perks. They had explicitly stated they wanted to be financially independent after a short transition period. That's what happened. Oprah read a portion of the Queen's letter, but conveniently that part was cropped.

The palace rarely comments on press coverage, so they weren't treated any differently to other members of the family.

Charles was ridiculed and vilified for years and he wasn't publicly supported, nor was a statement released.

Harry knows how it works, he really should have prepared Meghan for what she was getting in to.

Yep...

Shame we can’t expect the likes of Harry, Meghan, and most importantly, Oprah to know this!!!

Ok, so maybe Canada had to pay for some of the security. There does seem to be a bit of confusion over the whole thing.
    Obviously no police force wanted to pay for it!
    Can't see why they should

Probably obligation as a Commonwealth country where the queen is the official head of state.

The obligation ended though when they lost senior royal status.

No work = no money. Who knew?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

That's the point. According to them. Harry said that talks with Queen happened during two years, So they must have started in January 2018, long before their marriage. While marrying Harry she was so to be dedicated to the service. So at which point they lied? Then or now? Because one of this sayings must have been a lie.

Two years ago is 2019. They didnt give an absolute time frame. My take away from it was that they were trying to point out that it wasn't the surprise departure it was portrayed as.
    Again according to them. Do you know for sure, which version was right or wrong?

Do you? Of course, you don't. Of course I don't.
    When Harry and Meghan decided they wanted to step down as working royals and live in the US, it was Scotland Yard who pulled paid protection not the queen, as they have no legal basis to operate in a foreign country and cannot access intelligence over there, so it actually would be very harmful to their safety. H&M would actually be better protected by their own private security. But that’s not how Harry and Meghan want the narrative to be framed.

They went to great lengths to say nothing was the Queen's fault - that it was the institution/firm that was behind it. Which would tie in with the people they have fallen out with? They don't seem to have expected security to have been removed so immediately. And say there were safety concerns. So they may well have been better served by their private security, but the immediacy with which it happened seems to have come to a surprise to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

walshb wrote: »
    Yep...

Shame we can’t expect the likes of Harry, Meghan, and most importantly, Oprah to know this!!!
    Oprah knows how it works.
    Oprah has said time and time again how much she values her privacy. She keeps everything private. Her company is even private and she values that privacy above everything else.
    I mean, why wouldn't she when she knows what damage she has done by being a gossip queen (literally).
    That interview was nothing more than a big fat cheque to her. She does not give one tiny crap about Meghan or Harry, why would she?
    Meghan is at best a mediocre actress, without Harry she would probably be chasing work, probably unsuccessfully at this stage in her career.
    Will anyone give a crap about them this time next year? Probably not. And unless their marriage lasts, Meghan would likely be selling scraps of gossip to keep food on the table, unless the marriage they had 3 days before the wedding was in the USofA.. Clever girl :rolleyes:.

The Queen is the head of the institution, the firm, the RF...

Their trying to slate the institution whilst at the same time trying to say, we’ve no beef with Lizzy, sure she’s sound.....is just another example of how pathetic and devious and substance-less this tirade was..

Two years ago is 2019. They didnt give an absolute time frame. My take away from it was that they were trying to point out that it wasn't the surprise departure it was portrayed as.

They went to great lengths to say nothing was the Queen's fault - that it was the institution/firm that was behind it. Which would tie in with the people they have fallen out with? They don't seem to have expected security to have been removed so immediately. And say there were safety concerns. So they may well have been better served by their private security, but the immediacy with which it happened seems to have come to a surprise to them.

In fairness, a lot of things seem to have come as a surprise to them!

Maybe because Meghan didn't Google the royal family and Harry is oblivious despite having grown up in it?

• Advertisement

And who do you think is head of The Firm?
    Well they only have theirselves to blame for leaving before ironing out and issues and making sure they knew exactly what they were letting themselves for. The Queen, Harry, William and Charles all conducted “Megsit” talks for days on end, you’d think these kinds of issues would have cropped up..
    The fact they expected the UK to still pay for their security after they had stepped down from their roles and left the country is a damming indictment of their entitlement more than anything else. When I leave my job in the future I fully expect to be able to keep the company car and if my boss doesn’t continue to pay me well then I’m going on Joe Duffy and telling on him

Suckit wrote: »
    Oprah knows how it works. .

Absolutely she does...

Oprah nothing more than someone asking arranged and staged questions, with nothing off them, and nothing coming back

A staged attack that she managed..

And her staged and fake shock and concern..

Only working senior royals get security, so once they left and stopped "working" they lost all the perks. They had explicitly stated they wanted to be financially independent after a short transition period. That's what happened. Oprah read a portion of the Queen's letter, but conveniently that part was cropped.

The palace rarely comments on press coverage, so they weren't treated any differently to other members of the family.

Charles was ridiculed and vilified for years and he wasn't publicly supported, nor was a statement released.

Harry knows how it works, he really should have prepared Meghan for what she was getting in to.

The point they made was - grand if we don't get security say something to address what the media are saying. Somehow the crying story got out. If Meghan didn't leak it, who did?

Harry knows only too well how damaging media intrusion can be. I guess they didn't predict/anticipate how badly it would turn. It wasnt always so bad against her. I don't agree that she should just have put up with it, or deny herself medical treatment because of how it might look. In the end they couldn't change it, so they left and tried to tell their version.

"It's terrible, Joe, I hated the job and had to leave for my mental health, but they took my car and stopped paying me! I shocked they would do this to me so suddenly."

Who asked that they tell their version? Nobody...

Why not leave, as they did and just stfu and get on with their lives..

Was what they did (whatever it actually was) really worth it over some skin color comment that nobody has a damn clue about, and a little bit of an alleged cry from a grown woman over a pair of child’s shoes?

This absolute nonsense twisted by using two very emotive topics race and mental health..

Trying to cause as much damage to her in laws and his blood because of what?

In fairness, a lot of things seem to have come as a surprise to them!

Maybe because Meghan didn't Google the royal family and Harry is oblivious despite having grown up in it?

Maybe a lot did come as a surprise to them. Diana found it impossible as well, going by her interview.
    And who do you think is head of The Firm?
    Well they only have theirselves to blame for leaving before ironing out and issues and making sure they knew exactly what they were letting themselves for. The Queen, Harry, William and Charles all conducted “Megsit” talks for days on end, you’d think these kinds of issues would have cropped up..
    The fact they expected the UK to still pay for their security after they had stepped down from their roles and left the country is a damming indictment of their entitlement more than anything else. When I leave my job in the future I fully expect to be able to keep the company car and if my boss doesn’t continue to pay me well then I’m going on Joe Duffy and telling on him

They could always give Joe a call I suppose :D. I got the impression they thought they did have it all jroned out, hence the calls to Prince Charles when it didn't pan out like they expected.

They say they felt vulnerable with no security but threats were still incoming and the location of their home was out there.

The point they made was - grand if we don't get security say something to address what the media are saying. Somehow the crying story got out. If Meghan didn't leak it, who did?

Harry knows only too well how damaging media intrusion can be. I guess they didn't predict/anticipate how badly it would turn. It wasnt always so bad against her. I don't agree that she should just have put up with it, or deny herself medical treatment because of how it might look. In the end they couldn't change it, so they left and tried to tell their version.
    The royal family don't engage with the press, that's been said numerous times. They can hardly expect a precedent to be set for them when they're leave.

We only have their word that their security was pulled suddenly, even if it was they wanted financial independence so they should have welcomed not being funded by taxpayers. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Did she actually expect the palace to release an official statement saying “actually you guys Kate made Meghan cry”. It’s so petulant! Also maybe Kate’s version of events differ? Maybe there is two sides to the story so why would The Queen involve herself in such immature nonsense? She has seen out some of the most significant crisis in her position as Queen and as to keep schtum on issues like Brexit, Blair, Wars and Trump, why would she lower herself to even comment on this twaddle?

Two years before their departure in Janury 2020. Harry said two years.

But I don't claim definitely, which side is right or wrong. As I said earlier both might have cried. So press not definitely was wrong about Kate. At least she had a decency to apologise for her part in it.

Security was removed with the end of March. In January Canadians protested, in February Canadian government gave a statement about withdrawal of forces. So hardly immediately.

As you see too many things don't add up for me to believe in what has been said.

• Advertisement

It's true Diana didn’t know what she was getting into, although she did know about Camilla.

I think that was acknowledged though, but Diana played the media too.

Advertisement