Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission for tiny home

Options
  • 09-03-2021 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,hope you can help. I’m curious to know would it be possible to build a tiny home under 25 Square metres on my land without planning permission? Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

No you need planning for any size residence

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dwire13 wrote: »
    Hi all,hope you can help. I’m curious to know would it be possible to build a tiny home under 25 Square metres on my land without planning permission? Any help would be great

Yes you need planning permission for every new home in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

The 25 square metre exemption applies specifically to supplemental buildings. [They use a specific term that I don't remember right now.]

For example a garage, greenhouse or shed all serve functions that are extra, not essential to a residence, and may be built without planning under the exemption. On the other hand your kitchen and bedroom are essential parts of your home that cannot be exempted from planning.

The other thing is that the 25 square metre exemption refers to the total area of such buildings. So if you have a shed and a greenhouse and want to build a garage, its max size would be the 25 sq m minus the size of the shed and greenhouse.

Not relevant to your question, but this is where those big Keter store it out containers come in useful, as they wouldn't contribute to the exemption, but let you free up space in a shed or garage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

grassylawn wrote: »
    They use a specific term that I don't remember right now.

....incidental to the enjoyment of the existing house....

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

grassylawn wrote: »
    For example a garage, greenhouse or shed all serve functions that are extra, not essential to a residence, and may be built without planning under the exemption.
    Correct. And of course there has to be an existing house there in order to avail of those exemptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Also remember irrespective of planning permission you will need to build in accordance with the building regulations inc min room areas etc. dont go down the rabbit hole of the tiny house without ensuring you can meet regs

Advertisement