Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Native Irish Wildflower seeds

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm only posting so I can find this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Cheers @Suckit and @Day Lewin will fire ahead with that so. If I miss the boat this growing season, I will aim for the autumn. Interesting about not going for the showy plants, and the patience and watchful eye - sounds perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭nokiatom

This is my first year trying seed bombs. I did read up about them. What I read was that half the time at least they are unsuccessful because the weeds are too high for them when they start to germinate and get no light. I bought 120 bombs, I then cut the grass down to the bone! I then dug a small hole and took out the sod, the bombs had been soaking in water for a few hours. I then put some old seed compost in the hole with the seed bombs and watered well. The bombs are about 18 inches apart. I planted them at different times in April and May. Every day I would pull away any weeds that were going to grow over the holes. So far every hole has something growing out of it. Once the compost started to dry out I would water each hole. It is a lot of effort but I think in the long run it will be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well i've planted about a dozen seed bombs around my garden back in march and not one of them has shown any sign of growth 😕

i have however propagated two in my greenhouse and they've come up, so maybe that's the best way to do it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

seed bombs were invented so you could get seeds into hard to reach place; people trying to get plants to grow on derelict ground which they didn't have access to made seed bombs so they could throw them in. they're pointless in your own garden, just get normal wildflower seed and scatter it.

• Advertisement

^^^^

well if there not going to grow in your garden what's the point in throwing them into derelict ground?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Derelict ground is not usually as nice and rich as your garden and could also do with the chance of wild flowers. Also, if landowners don't use it, may as well try make it nicer by lobbing in a few seed bombs (you can get recipes to make your own from local seeds, instead of dropping money on them)

but my point is - if there not going to grow in a well cultivated garden as others have alluded to then surely they have no chance on derelict ground

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Well cultivated gardens have rich soil and competition, derelict ground doesn't have those sorts of things. You'll be surprised how poor soil some of the wildflowers insist on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And if they grow they provide a source of food for pollinators in areas that would otherwise be barren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a patch of barren ground that is awaiting attention. It is very poor subsoil and sandy gravel, and was completely bare since last autumn. It has, quite unaided, produced a fine crop of field poppies - there are not particularly any in the garden otherwise, a ladies mantle and quite a lot of fumitory. The growth is sparse, the rest of the garden is doing lush, but not this bit. It isn't exactly pretty overall, but its interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

look up Grow It Bio, irish native wildflowers and plant native tree for every order

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

Advertisement