Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joachim Löw stepping down as German coach

• 09-03-2021 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

He will step down after the Euros, 1 year before end of his contract. 15 years is a good run, probably over-stayed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Could be a get out of jail free card for klopp and LFC if the rot doesn't stop. He can say he always wanted to manage his home nation, they can say after all he has done for the club they couldn't possibly let him miss the opportunity, everybody saves face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Herr Flick I expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭GBX

As bad as it is currently for Liverpool, I cant see Klopp jumping ship. New deal signed last year. Can see him taking the job once he does leave Liverpool eventually - just not now. He will be given time to sort things out and finish his contract. FSG won't want to lose Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

We'll all miss him scratching himself and sniffing his fingers.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Don’t see Klopp leaving Liverpool, but he’s going to be brought up in the media constantly unless an appointment is made quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Could be a get out of jail free card for klopp and LFC if the rot doesn't stop. He can say he always wanted to manage his home nation, they can say after all he has done for the club they couldn't possibly let him miss the opportunity, everybody saves face.

Its a bit to early for the though, Liverpool made Klopp the 5th highest paid manager in the world last year and contracted him until 2024. Would anyone walk away from that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

That would surely be a step down for Klopp.
    Going from managing a Champions league winning and then Premier league winning side to international management - would feel a bit like a move down in level.

I don't think he will walk away from Anfield right now.
    They're in a bad patch maybe but the 20/21 season has been a very peculiar one and no reason why Liverpool can't be back challenging in the Top 2 or 3 at the very least by next autumn.

Its a bit to early for the though, Liverpool made Klopp the 5th highest paid manager in the world last year and contracted him until 2024. Would anyone walk away from that?

Potentially, he walked away from Dortmund when they were in the toilet, if things don't pick up for LFC then who knows what could happen, as I said, it could be more of a face saving exercise for both parties, LFC don't have to worry about sacking a league and CL winning manager and Klopp can say he couldn't pass the chance up considering it has been filled for the last 15 years, could be a long while again before it comes up again.

Potentially, he walked away from Dortmund when they were in the toilet, if things don't pick up for LFC then who knows what could happen, as I said, it could be more of a face saving exercise for both parties, LFC don't have to worry about sacking a league and CL winning manager and Klopp can say he couldn't pass the chance up considering it has been filled for the last 15 years, could be a long while again before it comes up again.

He wasn't the 5th highest paid manager in the World at Dortmund with 3 years left to go on the contract. He would want to be crazy to walk away from that deal...and FSG ain't going to sack him this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Liverpool aside for a minute would any German coach really see managing the German National team to a potential World Cup win as a step down?

I wouldn't have thought so and in fact thought that would have been the peak achievement for any manager, leading their country to #1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Zeek12 wrote: »
    That would surely be a step down for Klopp.
    Going from managing a Champions league winning and then Premier league winning side to international management - would feel a bit like a move down in level.

I don't think he will walk away from Anfield right now.
    They're in a bad patch maybe but the 20/21 season has been a very peculiar one and no reason why Liverpool can't be back challenging in the Top 2 or 3 at the very least by next autumn.

You’re talking about Germany here. It’s a different ball game but it’s not accurate to describe it as a step down.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Liverpool aside for a minute would any German coach really see managing the German National team to a potential World Cup win as a step down?

I wouldn't have thought so and in fact thought that would have been the peak achievement for any manager, leading their country to #1?

I wouldn't but there is some people that have absolutely no time for international football. Especially fans of some teams in the North of England so they would probably consider a huge step down alright...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He wasn't the 5th highest paid manager in the World at Dortmund with 3 years left to go on the contract. He would want to be crazy to walk away from that deal...and FSG ain't going to sack him this summer.
    I'm not sure how well he was paid, but he was contracted until 2018 when he walked away from Dortmund in 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

It's not a step down really. Germany would have a good chance of winning trophies at International level. It would definitely be a job that Klopp would like but perhaps (hopefully) coming at the wrong time for himself and Liverpool.

I'm not sure how well he was paid, but he was contracted until 2018 when he walked away from Dortmund in 2015.

It wasn't anywhere close to the 12.5m a year he is on now I can tell you.

He doesn't strike me as someone driven by money. Besides, he would hardly be paid peanuts in the Germany job. In his home country, significantly lighter workload and a less stressful job, he is 53 now and hasn't he always said he will retire when he is still relatively young. Perfect opportunity for him to take the Germany job for 4 - 6 years, maybe get a European or world Cup and retire at 60. He's achieved everything that can be achieved at club level so it makes alot of sense.

He probably won't take it of course but it's naive to think he wouldn't consider it just for financial reasons alone.

He doesn't strike me as someone driven by money. Besides, he would hardly be paid peanuts in the Germany job. In his home country, significantly lighter workload and a less stressful job, he is 53 now and hasn't he always said he will retire when he is still relatively young. Perfect opportunity for him to take the Germany job for 4 - 6 years, maybe get a European or world Cup and retire at 60. He's achieved everything that can be achieved at club level so it makes alot of sense.

He probably won't take it of course but it's naive to think he wouldn't consider it just for financial reasons alone.

That's your opinion fair enough and mine is I can't see him walk away from the deal he is currently on.

brevity wrote: »
    It's not a step down really. Germany would have a good chance of winning trophies at International level. It would definitely be a job that Klopp would like but perhaps (hopefully) coming at the wrong time for himself and Liverpool.
    On the contrary could be perfect timing for him and Liverpool. He has achieved all the main goals at Liverpool. They have won playing that high tempo style, they look burnt out and so does he. He has achieved everything possible in club management. He could win a World Cup in year from now with that German team. If he’s looking for a challenge and a fresh start, the timing couldn’t be more perfect.

Liverpool would have a hard time replacing him, but if he’s offered the gig and is interested in it, probably best to let him move on.

That's your opinion fair enough and mine is I can't see him walk away from the deal he is currently on.

Are you an LFC fan?

Reason I ask is that the held opinion that I've seen from many LFC fans, on Boards and elsewhere, is that Klopp is not motivated by money, its a project he looks for and that's why he took the LFC job. Projects don't get much bigger than winning a world Cup with your home country.

If he’s offered the job I reckon he’ll take it. He might make more money if he stays at Liverpool but he won’t be broke managing Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Klopp won't be leaving Liverpool now and practically no Liverpool fan wants him to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

no chance Klopp takes it.
    I reckon his replacement will be announced shortly too, and the speculation over klopp will be very short lived.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Klopp won't be leaving Liverpool now and practically no Liverpool fan wants him to go.

Doesn’t matter what Liverpool fans want. What’s that got to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If managing Germany is something on his agenda he would be mad not to take it imo. He owes Liverpool absolutely nothing.

Are you an LFC fan?

Reason I ask is that the held opinion that I've seen from many LFC fans, on Boards and elsewhere, is that Klopp is not motivated by money, its a project he looks for and that's why he took the LFC job. Projects don't get much bigger than winning a world Cup with your home country.

Yes I am Liverpool fan. I think its almost fairy-tail thinking to believe that Klopp and his representatives are not going to be affected by money. I know there is some fans that believe he is this man of the people and all about the passion and love of the game but he's not a fool either and he knows how fickle this game is. Sure look at people calling for his head less than 9 months after winning a bloody PL title for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

I find it very hard to see klopp as an international manager at this point in his career. The long breaks between games, the limited time he has with his players, the lack of the day to day interactions etc. It's just really doesn't seem to suit someone of his personality.

At this stage he might be glad of all that but once in the role I do wonder how he would find it.

Stefan Kuntz the U21 manager linked with the job as well

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Stefan Kuntz the U21 manager linked with the job as well

Always liked me some Kuntz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Niska

If Klopp wants it, he may see this as his best chance.

After the Euros this year, there's a a year and a bit to the 22 World Cup.

Germany have a favorable qualifying draw (below) - barring a catastrophe you'd expect them to qualify. And given the heat, etc - a quarter final or better should be enough to keep the job.
    Group J
    Germany
    Romania
    Iceland
    North Macedonia
    Armenia
    Liechtenstein

Which leads to Euro 24, in Germany. Following from above, I'd expect, barring a catastrophic 2022 WC run, whomever succeeds Löw to be in charge for this.

So - this may be his only chance to manage Germany to a major tournament on home soil. (Don't think Germany have bid for WC 2030). Plus, this would then lead into the WC 2026.

(To counter the above - a poor Euro 2024, on home soil, would probably leave the job vacant - tying in with the end of his current contract - synergy!)

And of course, this assuming he'd want it - international and club management are two very different beasts.

• Advertisement

Yes I am Liverpool fan. I think its almost fairy-tail thinking to believe that Klopp and his representatives are not going to be affected by money. I know there is some fans that believe he is this man of the people and all about the passion and love of the game but he's not a fool either and he knows how fickle this game is. Sure look at people calling for his head less than 9 months after winning a bloody PL title for Liverpool.

While I'd agree to an extent, the Germany job would pay a chunky sum one would imagine. If its even 50 or 60% of his current salary, add in some home country sponsorship incentives, massively reduced stress levels and work load etc, it's not that outlandish. He has worked his bollocks off the last 4 or 5 years so perhaps a lighter schedule while still earning obscene wages will turn his head?

I still think he will be considered by the German FA, I mean they would be foolish to not at least sound him out, but that he will ultimately decide to stay put however salary considerations would be low on the totem poll imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Augme wrote: »
    I find it very hard to see klopp as an international manager at this point in his career. The long breaks between games, the limited time he has with his players, the lack of the day to day interactions etc. It's just really doesn't seem to suit someone of his personality.

At this stage he might be glad of all that but once in the role I do wonder how he would find it.

.... and even when together, a lot of tedious games with little challenge. Qualifiers for the Euros, against Macedonia and Sna Marino, even Ireland and the likes hardly get the juices going.

International football is way below the level of club football at the highest level. Plenty of pressure for a few weeks every 2 years, but not mj9of a challenge generally. Suits younger lads like Southgate or Martinez who haven't made it to the very top at club level and are raising a profile, or an older lad looking for a semi retirement gig.
    Klopp doesn't fit either category.

.... and even when together, a lot of tedious games with little challenge. Qualifiers for the Euros, against Macedonia and Sna Marino, even Ireland and the likes hardly get the juices going.

International football is way below the level of club football at the highest level. Plenty of pressure for a few weeks every 2 years, but not mj9of a challenge generally. Suits younger lads like Southgate or Martinez who haven't made it to the very top at club level and are raising a profile, or an older lad looking for a semi retirement gig.
    Klopp doesn't fit either category.

Hmmmm. More wishful thinking from a Liverpool fan.

It’s suits young guys like Martinez building a profile? Martinez has been in management for years, he’s manager of Belgium because if anything arguably it’s bigger than the club jobs he’s had. He’s not doing it to “build a profile”, he might never get a better job.

We get it you’re a Liverpool fan and everything is about the EPL. There is life in football outside the EPL though you know. I don’t know if Klopp will leave but he’s won everything possible with Liverpool and the Germany job is a great job, it wouldn’t be the biggest shock if he did take it if he was offered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

With 11 years working with the German team as assistant and then sporting director, it would seem like Flick’s to turn down. He’s been groomed for the job for a very long time, and it may be no coincidence that there’s been lots of whispers of him leaving Bayern in the summer.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    With 11 years working with the German team as assistant and then sporting director, it would seem like Flick’s to turn down. He’s been groomed for the job for a very long time, and it may be no coincidence that there’s been lots of whispers of him leaving Bayern in the summer.

He only took the Bayern job last summer. Was assistant manager prior to that. If he takes it then Klopp to Bayern maybe?

Oh yeah of course! Bayern is the last job along with Barca and Real that Klopp would take at the top level. Their machinations at board level would drive him doolally that and the fact they spent most of their time trying to weaken Dortmund when he was in charge.

Amusing that so many are trying to get Klopp out of Liverpool and the Prem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

My sources tell me that Klopp will not join the German national team:

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1369282220876312576?s=20

Bad News Pearce strikes again!

Nice quick end to that potential media saga.

Will be interesting to hear what Flick says when asked the same question before Bayern’s next game. Will he be as unequivocal I wonder?

He only took the Bayern job last summer. Was assistant manager prior to that. If he takes it then Klopp to Bayern maybe?

Jasus you move quick, he would be stupid not to take the German job 5 minutes ago and now he's off to Bayern!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't think Klopp would be able for the job. I could see managers like himself and Pep with their dogmatic philosophies being unable to adapt to a team with no access to a transfer market

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Also quoted by Pearce.
    https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1369283256114417665

I don't expect him to take the German job, but he's lying there. He left Dortmund with 3 years left on his contract.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

With the greatest of respect, what answer do you think Klopp would give if he actually was interested in leaving for the national team job? "Yeah, this season has been a disaster, so I can't wait to jetison Liverpool and take the job. Screw the rest of the campaign, my focus is now on the new job, see ya latter!"

He's given the only response there that an utter professional would. Anything else would have caused damage to whats left of Liverpool's season. Maybe he's being honest, of course. But until the new coach is announced, that's really nothing but a soundbyte to keep everyone happy.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect, what answer do you think Klopp would give if he actually was interested in leaving for the national team job? "Yeah, this season has been a disaster, so I can't wait to jetison Liverpool and take the job. Screw the rest of the campaign, my focus is now on the new job, see ya latter!"

He's given the only response there that an utter professional would. Anything else would have caused damage to whats left of Liverpool's season. Maybe he's being honest, of course. But until the new coach is announced, that's really nothing but a soundbyte to keep everyone happy.

I said it already but the reality is there is no chance Klopp is walking away from the contract he is on. Its worth nearly 38m to him over the next 3 years...

Some people like to claim that Klopp is different and its all about pride and passion to him and money doesn't matter but that is very fanciful thinking if you ask me. That statement might not kill speculation as you say but Klopp will be in the Liverpool dugout in September of that I have no doubt.

That statement might not kill speculation as you say but Klopp will be in the Liverpool dugout in September of that I have no doubt.

Are England and Germany playing a friendly at Anfield?

:pac::pac:

This place really is quite childish these days.

Lord TSC wrote: »

The usual response from people interested in the job is more about being flattered by the link, it’s a great job, but I’m focused on what I’m doing right now. It’s never ‘I will not be taking that job’, before taking the job.

This place really is quite childish these days.

You started it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Hmmmm. More wishful thinking from a Liverpool fan.

It’s suits young guys like Martinez building a profile? Martinez has been in management for years, he’s manager of Belgium because if anything arguably it’s bigger than the club jobs he’s had. He’s not doing it to “build a profile”, he might never get a better job.

We get it you’re a Liverpool fan and everything is about the EPL. There is life in football outside the EPL though you know. I don’t know if Klopp will leave but he’s won everything possible with Liverpool and the Germany job is a great job, it wouldn’t be the biggest shock if he did take it if he was offered it.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but do you really think that international football is as intense or as high a standard as European club football is at the top level? Really? Could you see the likes of Southgate, Martinez, Stephen Kenny, Steve Clark getting a big job in the EPL, let alone with a champions league side. Even Löwe himself came through the system in Germany, hasn't a big track record at club level and won't walk into a top team after the German gig either.

International football has its place in the system, and the latter stages of tournaments can be good, but it's not where it's at anymore - money in clubs dictate, whether for better or worse.

BTW, I'm flattered you took the time to trawl my posting history, and that you seem it's SO important that I'm a Liverpool fan! Thanks!

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but do you really think that international football is as intense or as high a standard as European club football is at the top level? Really? Could you see the likes of Southgate, Martinez, Stephen Kenny, Steve Clark getting a big job in the EPL, let alone with a champions league side. Even Löwe himself came through the system in Germany, hasn't a big track record at club level and won't walk into a top team after the German gig either.

International football has its place in the system, and the latter stages of tournaments can be good, but it's not where it's at anymore - money in clubs dictate, whether for better or worse.

BTW, I'm flattered you took the time to trawl my posting history, and that you seem it's SO important that I'm a Liverpool fan! Thanks!

I think I like International Football management most as a sort of semi retirement gig for the greats. Still keeping them in the game, but with significantly less of a time commitment. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Klopp manage Germany one day, though perhaps not for another fair few years.

And you're right about the level of it I think... it's interesting how the demographic changes. it used to be more older fellas, but it's shifted a bit over the past while to become a good high profile gig for lads at a good but not world class level, getting that bit of extra exposure, like Martinez, Lopetegui, Koemann, Southgate, De Boer, Scaloni etc. Guys who likely intend to get back into club management again after (as Koemann and Lopetegui have).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The absolute desperation to get Klopp to leave Liverpool in this thread is amusing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement