Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbers to cover east facing fence

Options
  • 09-03-2021 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking to plant evergreen climbers to cover a fence in my garden. Fence is east facing and I'm looking to cover 5 panels. I plan on running wires across the fence at 30 / 45 cm intervals to support the climbers. There is a bed at the foot of the fence, open at bottom and 1m deep.

I'm in Cork and garden is fairly sheltered. The fence would get sun until around midday.

So far I've been thinking about evergreen honeysuckle and star jasmine. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wolftown

I'm in a similar situation, but looking to cover a west facing fence.

Will keep an eye on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭skellig_rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks Skellig - honeysuckle was one suggested in a garden centre alright. What kind of spacing would you go for with these (2m high fence, looking to cloak the fence in greenery if possible rather than a sparse look)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭skellig_rocks

I reckon keeping 2 metres between plants (one plant for each standard 2m wide fence)
    Beware honey suckles are fast growing and vigorous, make sure to train young plants against fences or trellis frequently (maybe every 1-2 weeks in during growing seasons)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭blackbox

Honeysuckle is a nice plant, but not an evergreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I think jasmine needs a lot of sun? I’ve tried growing it before it doesn’t seem to like Irish winters but then again I’m in the NW. Not evergreen but a nice climber for shade would be climbing hydrangea...?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Calculator123

I think jasmine needs a lot of sun? I’ve tried growing it before it doesn’t seem to like Irish winters but then again I’m in the NW. Not evergreen but a nice climber for shade would be climbing hydrangea...?

I agree. I couldn't get Jasmine to grow in a partially shaded area at all.

I have two climbing hydrangea. One is deciduous, facing north east on a wall. Doing extremely well. While it's not evergreen is does have a lovely wavey vein like effect across the wall in winter, which is quite attractive.

The other climbing hydrangea is evergreen, which are uncommon. I don't think they're strictly a hydrangea. It's facing south west but it's really struggling. I got it to cover an ugly block wall corner. It was suggested for shade but I think needs more sun. Might do well for you east facing. Flowers are no where near as dramatic as it's deciduous cousins though.

There are plenty of varieties of ivy, which work very well in the Irish climate compared to other climbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Some honeysuckles are evergreen. They can be very strong, I have had them crush and strangle a trellis. I would be more inclined to stretch very sturdy wires across. Even then the shoots of more vigorous varieties are likely to force their way through the fence, even though they prefer a shady aspect. Likewise I would not put climbing hydrangea on a fence unless it is a fairly new and sturdy one on good posts.

Thanks for all the suggestions

My preference would be to use wires rather than trellis. Any suggestions on to to secure them to the concrete posts? I saw a product in the U.K. which clamps to the post and can take vine eyes but I think brexit will make it hard to get.
    I’m loath to drill into the posts in case I weaken them by exposing the rebar/cracking the concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

I had a nightshade on an eastern facing shed and it did great. Has a v long flowering season. It was supposed to be scented but mine had no scent.

I didn't prune it so it got v leggy but still loads of flowers.

I think the proper name is solanum nigrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Passiflora Caerulea (passion flower) is good, grows well on my East facing wall, is evergreen, but needs a bit of trimming now and then, but that's no big deal. Nice flowers and inedible orange fruits in Autumn. Just a suggestion.

I just banged a few small nails in and used the garden wire to train it, and off it romped!

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/grow-guide-passion-flowers/

Just on other posts, I've a climbing hydrangea now on (new sturdy!) fence for 3y and it has still not adhered itself to the fence. I've actually clamped some of it on in the hope it will start to stick. No flowers yet either but apparently they are slow to get going. If it doesn't do good this year I will probably move it as I want something decorative on the fence. It had a clematis montana before that was fab but it just upped and died one year.

Also, we have done the wire thing, but we put the clamps for the wires onto the fence itself rather than the concrete posts. They're only there a year but fine so far. The wires are v discreet compared to a trellis.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

will you do a north facing fence for me please!!!

North facing - pyracantha, honeysuckle, climbing hydrangea, some climbing roses, garrya eliptica, ivy. All of these would be better with strong wires well anchored, rather than trellis.

Thanks for those suggestions
    Hadnt thought of Passion flower. Will definitely consider that
    Never heard of nightshade - will also consider

ellee wrote: »
    Just on other posts, I've a climbing hydrangea now on (new sturdy!) fence for 3y and it has still not adhered itself to the fence. I've actually clamped some of it on in the hope it will start to stick. No flowers yet either but apparently they are slow to get going. If it doesn't do good this year I will probably move it as I want something decorative on the fence. It had a clematis montana before that was fab but it just upped and died one year.

Also, we have done the wire thing, but we put the clamps for the wires onto the fence itself rather than the concrete posts. They're only there a year but fine so far. The wires are v discreet compared to a trellis.

Hi Elee
    I might end up doing that - do you mean you screwed vine eyes into the wooden fence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

okedoke wrote: »
    Hi Elee
    I might end up doing that - do you mean you screwed vine eyes into the wooden fence?

Unless the fence is very good quality, you're much better off putting the vine eyes into the concrete posts. The panels can warp and break, taking your climber with them.

I don't think there's much risk drilling into the posts, did about 20 posts in past without issue.

Unless the fence is very good quality, you're much better off putting the vine eyes into the concrete posts. The panels can warp and break, taking your climber with them.

I don't think there's much risk drilling into the posts, did about 20 posts in past without issue.

I'm probably being unreasonably paranoid about drilling into the fenceposts but have read stories online of cracking the posts or exposing the rebar, causing it to rust - not an issue?

Hi Elee

gXej6ct
    gXej6ct
    https://imgur.com/a/gXej6ct

Yeah, that's right. gXej6ctI've linked a pic from last Summer. You can see we just twisted in some screws into the wood panels for the wires. I had bought much more fancy attachments but this was simplest in the end. It's a timbertrove panel so pretty good quality.

That said hard to see there would be much issue drilling into the posts either. My husband did not want to do that but I've forgotten his reasoning now!

Actually I think he might have felt that it is easier replace a panel than a concrete post should anything go wrong.

• Advertisement

That's a very happy clematis ellee, lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I'm probably being unreasonably paranoid about drilling into the fenceposts but have read stories online of cracking the posts or exposing the rebar, causing it to rust - not an issue?

No issue in my experience anyway. You need to make sure that the Rawlplug hole diameter is much smaller than the concrete width (so it doesn't crack), and obviously the placement needs to be good. I had some minor flaking on the post surface when the vine eye was screwed in, but that's just cosmetic. You could seal the whole thing afterwards for weatherproofing but it seems like overkill.

Advertisement