Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place to sell a Canon L 800mm f/5.6 FD Lens?

• 09-03-2021 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Canon L 800mm f/5.6 FD Lens, mint in it's case, with a conversion to fit a modern Canon 7D. Where is the best place to sell it in Ireland? I imported it from Japan a few years ago. Shoulkd i try eBay/DoneDeal/elsewhere? Don't say trade-in cos I am on a break from buying gear :D

I know it's a niche item and I imagine the potential pool of potential purchasers is not huge!

Thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Photography section on Adverts.
    Price it over what you want and be prepared for the low ballers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You could try https://www.mpb.com/en-eu/ - they're in Berlin.

Just sold 5 Sony A-mount lenses to them, which at this stage are niche items with a small market, particularly in Ireland. I should have sold then years ago when A Mount was still a thing, but now that I've made the move to E Mount, I needed them gone. Couldn't face dealing with Adverts/DoneDeal.

You enter the name and condition of the lens, and they give you a quote (automatically, if they have it on file; in a couple of days if they have to look it up). If you're happy, they then email you a pre-paid DHL label and you select a pickup date. You package it up, DHL arrive, once MPB get it, they check the items and if all is good, they ask for your bank details and pay you the agreed amount. If any items are in better or worse condition than you said, they give you a revised price, and you get to accept or decline. If you decline, they send you your stuff back.

My transaction went perfectly anyway. I did have a 6th lens (an Opteka fish-eye) that they had no interest in. I rated all my lenses as "Excellent" condition, and they agreed.

Of course, you'll get less than what you might get if you find the right buyer yourself, but given that the whole process was hassle free, to me it was worth it. My concern was finding a buyer at all.

Just an option if selling yourself doesn't work out, and you can always get a quote from them just out of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Thank you Gregor. That sounds like an excellent option, as well as a reality check on the likely value of it. You can imagine with the size of this thing in its trunk I also want gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tele2020

MBP pay undervalu , so they can make some kind of profit later on the resale. Adverts/Donedeal probably best.

Advertisement