Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding second Nest to two zoned system

• 09-03-2021 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Folks quick one wondering does anyone have a similar set up.

I've the gen 3 Nest thermostat for years which controls my heating and hotwater and i love it. My house has 2 zones (3 if you include the hot water) currently there are two hardwired legacy thermostats installed from when the house was built which if turned up or down override the main nest (downstairs) so they close the relevant value when the temperature is reached.

Everything works as expected but i want to be able to just turn on downstairs heat for example without having to go upstairs and manually turn down the legacy thermostat on the wall down to a level that means the upstairs wont come on.

My question is twofold - as i have a nest gen 3 can i add the cheaper nest e for the upstairs second zone or would it have to be another gen 3?
    If so do i need to install two heatlinks?

My issue is the house is rather big so we fly through oil in the winter and there are times when i just want a quick blast of one zone without firing all cylinders so to speak.

Anyone have a similar set up or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Birka

We've the same setup which needed two Gen 3s and two heatlinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

Birka wrote: »
    We've the same setup which needed two Gen 3s and two heatlinks

Brilliant and everything obviously working perfectly for you. I'm just wondering now if the cheaper nest e will work upstairs and leave the main one as it is. Don't see why not but you can never be sure with these things until they are installed.

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

Same as Birka above - it's works brilliantly - and very efficient. Well worth the investment in the 2nd Nest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

Excellent think i'll pull the trigger so thanks for the info

Advertisement