Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Mikey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Seve OB wrote: »
    Can’t see any critical comments on that

Its the very top comment and its pinned too. Have a read through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

here's today's recommendation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qklan0aVvE

I fear for the guy at this stage - its only a matter of time before someone does him serious damage.

(I don't want to get into the tugging the forelock nonsense again, I am just leaving it there as a statement)

Hiding in bushes, I suppose some muppet will say the police should be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

km991148 wrote: »

I fear for the guy at this stage - its only a matter of time before someone does him serious damage.

(I don't want to get into the tugging the forelock nonsense again, I am just leaving it there as a statement)

Nowt wrong with that. It's a junction well known for folks trying it on.

Cock in the Freelander was quick enough to get back in lane as he knew he was being a cock.

Also plenty of traffic coming up from the right of the picture that you couldn't possibly see when shaving that right turn, not just bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

MojoMaker wrote: »

Cock in the Range Rover was quick enough to get back in lane as he knew he was being a cock.

Also plenty of traffic coming up from the right of the picture that you couldn't possibly see when shaving that right turn, not just bikes.

F.Y.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

He is so full of sh1t. You could hear him already riled up as he ran out. He goes on about the guy being so aggressive which I didn’t see at all. Mikey was the only aggressive person in this clip. Guy hit the brakes, then reversed and got back into his lane and showed absolutely no signs of aggression. I don’t think he drove into mikey, to me it looks like he just lifted off the brake and the car moved forward which is what happens with automatic cars and if you are thick enough to remain standing in front of one then an accident can and will happen someday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He is so full of sh1t. You could hear him already riled up as he ran out. He goes on about the guy being so aggressive which I didn’t see at all. Mikey was the only aggressive person in this clip. Guy hit the brakes, then reversed and got back into his lane and showed absolutely no signs of aggression. I don’t think he drove into mikey, to me it looks like he just lifted off the brake and the car moved forward which is what happens with automatic cars and if you are thick enough to remain standing in front of one then an accident can and will happen someday.

He certainly wasn't aggressive, a bad driver in that he panicked and lifted the foot off the brake, but not aggressive. He lifts his hand, reverses, doesn't open his mouth in anger. The driver was 100% in the wrong but Mickey is going to be accused by some of looking for a claim which is what I would have thought if someone done that to me. Like I said before, if he sat the camera there and just recorded them, most of them would be off the road by the end of the week as undoubtedly most of them would have been repeat offenders. What does he want, bad drivers off the road or youtube hits, he could have both is he stopped running out in front of people.

MojoMaker wrote: »

Cock in the Freelander was quick enough to get back in lane as he knew he was being a cock.

Once again, I am not disputing that the drivers are absolute c***s for doing the things Mikey catches them doing. He is right to report them.

I am saying Mikey will end up coming a cropper one day and end up seriously injured or worse. He is trying to stop cars with hands and body. Absolute lunacy.

yeah - the whole 'dan' business. The chip is really showing when it comes to private plates.
    If I knew him I would be having a word. I don't think a friend would let someone carry on like that. The guy has issues, has suffered a road side tragedy in the family and if he is not careful his family will see more grief. I am genuinely worried for him.

if he is not careful his family will see more grief.

You make a very valid point here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe it's just me, but I'd have thought that, if you're driving an automatic car, you should have some idea of what happens when you lift your foot off the brake, and be capable of planning accordingly, like putting the car into neutral or reverse before lifting your foot? Honestly, if you're not capable of managing the vehicle in such circumstances, you shouldn't be behind the wheel. It's not really a great excuse for driving 2 or 3 tonnes of metal at a person, a human, someone's father, someone's brother.

But it is interesting to note the rush to excuse violence towards Mikey even in advance of it actually happening.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    He certainly wasn't aggressive, a bad driver in that he panicked and lifted the foot off the brake, but not aggressive. He lifts his hand, reverses, doesn't open his mouth in anger. The driver was 100% in the wrong but Mickey is going to be accused by some of looking for a claim which is what I would have thought if someone done that to me. Like I said before, if he sat the camera there and just recorded them, most of them would be off the road by the end of the week as undoubtedly most of them would have been repeat offenders. What does he want, bad drivers off the road or youtube hits, he could have both is he stopped running out in front of people.

Again, the YouTube hits are very likely to have a significant deterrent effect. It would never be possible to measure or prove this, but if 20k people see this video, there's a good chance that a few of them will decide not to drive on the wrong side of the road at this or any junction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Again, the YouTube hits are very likely to have a significant deterrent effect. It would never be possible to measure or prove this, but if 20k people see this video, there's a good chance that a few of them will decide not to drive on the wrong side of the road at this or any junction.

You need to stop making these assumptions. You've already been warned. Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but you are repeatedly asking for proof from other posters and relying on nothing more than conjecture yourself.

There are millions upon millions of videos of bad and illegal behaviour, yet we still have it. You're at the "if it saves one life, please think of the children" end of the wedge now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

half the poxy youtube hits are probably stemming from this thread at this stage anyway.

Weepsie wrote: »
    You need to stop making these assumptions. You've already been warned. Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but you are repeatedly asking for proof from other posters and relying on nothing more than conjecture yourself.

There are millions upon millions of videos of bad and illegal behaviour, yet we still have it. You're at the "if it saves one life, please think of the children" end of the wedge now.

Yes, it absolutely is conjecture - a fairly reasonable conjecture.

Are you actually suggesting that, with a wide audience like 20k views, there isn't one viewer in there who is going to decide, on their next spin through Gandalf corner - "hang on - maybe yer man is behind the bushes again - I'll wait in the queue".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Those motorists have some neck,

"My journey is more important than yours" types. For that they deserve to be called out. If this guy wants to make it his crusade, I can't judge him for it. It is risky though.

The Met Police seem more open to accepting video than AGS, who seem to think video is only relevant for solving major crime or them entertaining the nation with gigs, steps and reels.

At least the Met tell the complainant the sanction issued to adriver. Whereas, here you rarely hear anything after the initial report. Maybe if they did not tell the outcome, he would loose interest?

Anyway, clearly they don't have an issue with what he is doing or they would advise or caution him to desist (which AGS would most likey do lest he provoke a person with violent tenancies.

It's a wonder the Met don't put a camera on that junction (Gandalfs corner). That would stop it, and possibly an assault or vehicular homicide.

With chaoitic driving very prevalent here, do we have our own Gandalfs corner anywhere? Phoenix Park can have a lot of cutting corners and general speeding, but to my knowledge, nothing like on Mikey clips.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd have thought that, if you're driving an automatic car, you should have some idea of what happens when you lift your foot off the brake, and be capable of planning accordingly, like putting the car into neutral or reverse before lifting your foot? Honestly, if you're not capable of managing the vehicle in such circumstances, you shouldn't be behind the wheel. It's not really a great excuse for driving 2 or 3 tonnes of metal at a person, a human, someone's father, someone's brother.

Yep you called it, it’s just you.
    Of course a driver knows what happens when he takes his foot off the brake.

But it is interesting to note the rush to excuse violence towards Mikey even in advance of it actually happening.

I think you mistakenly quoted me there? I don't think I excuse or justified arsehole behaviour from motorists at all?

The videos are showing (predictably) more aggression. Even more predictably Mikey is getting cockier.
    Excuse the pun but it's a car crash waiting to happen. I hope I am wrong. I don't want to see any harm to the guy as I believe his intentions started off well.

Looks like all the predictions that someone was going to physically respond to Mikey were correct.

https://twitter.com/MikeyCycling/status/1376878951553974275?s=19

Amazing how people that were in so much of a rush that they had to drive on the wrong side of the road seemingly have loads of time to hang around and debate the point.

Yes, it absolutely is conjecture - a fairly reasonable conjecture.

Are you actually suggesting that, with a wide audience like 20k views, there isn't one viewer in there who is going to decide, on their next spin through Gandalf corner - "hang on - maybe yer man is behind the bushes again - I'll wait in the queue".

I doubt many of 20k are motorists who drive that place. I bet most are cyclists and or keyboard heros

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

"Have you not seen the viral videos" LOL, no, its a few thousand views in a city of millions a good chunk of those views are probably from Ireland at the minute.

This said, it is funny how many of them persist in engaging with him, they are morons. You see the smart ones immediately pull back in, but the ones who persist, you have to wonder the mentality. They would have been through the junction. I still say if his only interest was safety though he would simply sit there and film and report. That said, luckily for him he isn't in Ireland or he would have to go to court each time of the gardai even bothered and a judge or garda would blame him for some of the incidents.

• Advertisement

I doubt many of 20k are motorists who drive that place. I bet most are cyclists and or keyboard heros

1) Most cyclists ARE motorists.
    2) Most keyboard warriors ARE motorists.

You're right to say that most of them probably don't drive in that location, but do you think it is reasonable to say that maybe 1% of viewers drive in that location occasionally?

2) Most keyboard warriors ARE motorists.

You're right to say that most of them probably don't drive in that location, but do you think it is reasonable to say that maybe 1% of viewers drive in that location occasionally?

have you got evidential stats to back up your assumptions there?

have you got evidential stats to back up your assumptions there?

Sure

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/blog/2010/aug/10/cycling-boom-survey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

CramCycle wrote: »
    "Have you not seen the viral videos" LOL, no, its a few thousand views in a city of millions a good chunk of those views are probably from Ireland at the minute.

This said, it is funny how many of them persist in engaging with him, they are morons. You see the smart ones immediately pull back in, but the ones who persist, you have to wonder the mentality. They would have been through the junction. I still say if his only interest was safety though he would simply sit there and film and report. That said, luckily for him he isn't in Ireland or he would have to go to court each time of the gardai even bothered and a judge or garda would blame him for some of the incidents.

I can just imagine trying to progress an assault charge with the gardai in that situation. It would be that scene in Goodfellas....
    No, no, you insulted him a little bit, you got a little bit out of order yourself...

nothing about keyboard warriors or your guess about 1% of Mikeys viewers driving his stomping ground?

Duckjob wrote: »
    I can just imagine trying to progress an assault charge with the gardai in that situation. It would be that scene in Goodfellas....

If the Gardai found out that you were a cyclist, they would charge you with damaging the other guy's knuckles.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

The opposite cannot be said for motorists

"However, just 12% of adults questioned by Mintel said they cycled regularly, while 65% said they never rode a bike. One in seven (15%) said they were "lapsed cyclists" who had a bicycle which they no longer rode."

nothing about keyboard warriors or your guess about 1% of Mikeys viewers driving his stomping ground?

You're welcome.

Define "keyboard warriors"?

And yes, the 1% is a pure guess. What % do you reckon?

Life really is too short for that ****e. 5 minutes having back and forth when all he had to do was make his point and report them. What happens then is the junction is blocked for those legally using it for a full 5 minutes.

He's no intention of preceding through that junction himself he was heading back to his bush, so why throw himself into the middle of the road when he can just as easily film every one of them from the footpath and report them and avoid any confrontation? Wouldn't do the clicks on youtube is why.

• Advertisement

Life really is too short for that ****e. 5 minutes having back and forth when all he had to do was make his point and report them. What happens then is the junction is blocked for those legally using it for a full 5 minutes.

He's no intention of preceding through that junction himself he was heading back to his bush, so why throw himself into the middle of the road when he can just as easily film every one of them from the footpath and report them and avoid any confrontation? Wouldn't do the clicks on youtube is why.

Just to be clear, the junction was blocked for five minutes by the two drivers driving on the wrong side of the road.

Advertisement