Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Mikey

Options

Comments

Just to be clear, the junction was blocked for five minutes by the two drivers driving on the wrong side of the road.

As I said all he had to do was make his point and report them and go around, but he was never going around was he ? Back to the bush with him.

I'd have full support for someone who'd encountered the car while using the road but this guy is just out for clicks. He doesn't need to put himself in the road to film them and report them.

This is not the behaviour of some white knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You really think motorists only respond to the letter in the post weeks or months later?

The confrontation at least crystallises the action there and then. You're left in no doubt that you've transgressed - where, when, how, and why it was a transgression.

Points are remote and somewhat distant from the transgression.

If anyone has a problem with being called out for being a cock, then don't be a cock.

1) Most cyclists ARE motorists.
    2) Most keyboard warriors ARE motorists.

You're right to say that most of them probably don't drive in that location, but do you think it is reasonable to say that maybe 1% of viewers drive in that location occasionally?

When I was a child we had a toy called stretched armstrong. You could stretch it into all kinds of tortured shapes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I get the crystalline point but it's crystallising it in one person's mind. Most drivers, like cyclists are creatures of habit. If he just sat there and filmed, day in and day out, he'd have most of them off the road or fined enough they would start behaving. All that crowd might do is start behaving at that one junction. They will still misbehave elsewhere. I think it's great he is doing it but anyone who thinks he is doing it as some beacon of justice is misguided at best, it's YouTube hits and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Cycling micky is getting 500k to 1million plus views on his more popular videos that us a nice little earner probably pulling in 3k a month after tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When I was a child we had a toy called stretched armstrong. You could stretch it into all kinds of tortured shapes
    Nice story, but should we get back to talking about Mikey?
    CramCycle wrote: »
    I get the crystalline point but it's crystallising it in one person's mind. Most drivers, like cyclists are creatures of habit. If he just sat there and filmed, day in and day out, he'd have most of them off the road or fined enough they would start behaving. All that crowd might do is start behaving at that one junction. They will still misbehave elsewhere. I think it's great he is doing it but anyone who thinks he is doing it as some beacon of justice is misguided at best, it's YouTube hits and nothing else.

It seems to take 1-2 years for the police/courts to process a case, based on the timing of release of videos. So he has the choice of a 1-2 year time lag for the driver to get the message, or immediate delivery of that message. I know which one is more effective.

The YouTube hits are almost certain to have some degree of deterrent effect too.

It seems to take 1-2 years for the police/courts to process a case, based on the timing of release of videos. So he has the choice of a 1-2 year time lag for the driver to get the message, or immediate delivery of that message. I know which one is more effective.

The YouTube hits are almost certain to have some degree of deterrent effect too.
    I admire your optimism but a lot of people with that attitude that the drivers in the video have will not learn from this, the video or anything else and a lot of people will look at this and just think he is a tosser and what's the harm in what they are doing. I don't agree with them but the truth of the matter is if youtube videos had any noticeable affect on driver behaviour, things would have improved along time ago.
    If he hit them hard with multiple fines and DQs, that would have an affect, this achieves very little in the context of his city as a whole and the behaviour of these drivers once they are away from this area.
    I don't begrudge him making a buck out of it, its entertaining in the way Alan Partridge or David Brent is entertaining, but don't dress is up as anything else other than him making a buck, like CSR, I'd sooner this than nothing at all.
    If the gardai had a similar system I'd happily upload my commutes every day, I'd be making them a mint and I don't mind Cycling mickey, its certainly entertaining in a way he doesn't intend, but I won't buy that he is on some noble mission.

Has he campaigned the relevant authority to do something to prevent cars going down the right on that stretch? Seems like a no brainer with the amount of video he has there. I'd be more supportive of him if he won the battle here like that and move the war on somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Has he campaigned the relevant authority to do something to prevent cars going down the right on that stretch? Seems like a no brainer with the amount of video he has there. I'd be more supportive of him if he won the battle here like that and move the war on somewhere else.

Why is it up to him to fix the problem? There's no pleasing some people! :D Surely the police or LA should notice the amount of fines being issued at that junction and take action?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

buffalo wrote: »
    Why is it up to him to fix the problem? There's no pleasing some people! :D Surely the police or LA should notice the amount of fines being issued at that junction and take action?

So he can finally move on with his life and into move into proper accommodation instead of living behind a bush

• Advertisement

Can't make money if people start behaving. Buffalo is right that it is up to the police but on the same note, they obviously haven't noted a pattern of accidents there or they presumably would have done something. He could easily have made a reasonable petition to the council or met if safety was his primary concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

CramCycle wrote: »
    "Have you not seen the viral videos" LOL, no, its a few thousand views in a city of millions a good chunk of those views are probably from Ireland at the minute.

This said, it is funny how many of them persist in engaging with him, they are morons. You see the smart ones immediately pull back in, but the ones who persist, you have to wonder the mentality. They would have been through the junction. I still say if his only interest was safety though he would simply sit there and film and report. That said, luckily for him he isn't in Ireland or he would have to go to court each time of the gardai even bothered and a judge or garda would blame him for some of the incidents.

He makes a good point, none of the morons will call the police and if they do, they are even bigger morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Looks like all the predictions that someone was going to physically respond to Mikey were correct.

Amazing how people that were in so much of a rush that they had to drive on the wrong side of the road seemingly have loads of time to hang around and debate the point.

I seen that yesterday - but too busy for here..

Unfortunately correct on both points.

Mc Love wrote: »
    He makes a good point, none of the morons will call the police and if they do, they are even bigger morons.

Don't underestimate stupidity, we have a drug dealer in Dublin turn up at the station to report his gear taken. It was the Gardai who cleared it in a raid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Now that, is a special kind of stupid. I hope he was arrested on the spot

Could it be possible that having words with a driver actually helps to improve driving quality?

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1378021257820700675?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good result. Cough duly softened for the good of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I see a driver waiting for an opportunity to pass on a tight road in one clip.

In the other clip on a much wider road I see a driver taking his opportunity to pass, but cut it a bit tight in doing so.

Bloody amateur, how the hell does he expect to get the clicks and thumbs ups if he doesn't hide in a bush like Mikey :D

Seve OB wrote: »
    I see a driver waiting for an opportunity to pass on a tight road in one clip.

In the other clip on a much wider road I see a driver taking his opportunity to pass, but cut it a bit tight in doing so.

Please hand over your driving licence until you learn to overtake properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Please hand over your driving licence until you learn to overtake properly.

Did I say that I overtake cyclists like that?

Seve OB wrote: »
    Did I say that I overtake cyclists like that?

If you think that driver was 'taking his opportunity' you really do need to learn to driver.

Could it be possible that having words with a driver actually helps to improve driving quality?

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1378021257820700675?s=19
    I'll admit I could be wrong, just a devils advocate bit below though and bare with me, I'm very cynical.
    This driver is now well behaved around one cyclist or it just happens that some drivers are good sometimes and bad others. Not saying either is the case here. Loads of drivers drive slowly on certain stretches as they are used to cameras there, they don't lift their phones on certain stretches of road as they are common for checkpoints and so on. While I would love to be wrong, those drivers Mickey catches might become better at that junction, I am doubtful they improve in general. Id put money on that if they were in traffic and someone went for it and Mickey didn't step out, they would go for it again, I hope I'm wrong. Like I said, he is doing nothing wrong but if he was in it purely for good (and there is nothing wrong with not being in it solely for the benefit of others), he'd do alot more if he just took info and reported. He would catch alot more and many people would learn to behave on the basis they either will or are close to losing their licence.

Fair play to him for knowing what grynder looks like from a distance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The ethical dilemmas of driver shaming
    the fact that he had to ask to realise right from wrong here doesn't speak well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Another example of righttobikeit being a law onto himself. This is a shared pedestrian path in Cork:

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1380600880618147842?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just watched a few of his clips there he really needs to take the lane. It's ridiculous that you have to do it but you really need to force people to budge over the line. For whatever reason motorists will do everything they can to keep their wheel from crossing the lane marker.

When I pass a cyclist my car is fully in the next lane and almost always the cars behind barely move over even though there's no oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Another example of righttobikeit being a law onto himself. This is a shared pedestrian path in Cork:

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1380600880618147842?s=20

"Bike lane". It's not a bike lane through the crossing. There's no clear deliniation for bike/pedestrians there, nor does there need to be. A bit of basic cop on tells you when you're going across a crossing you'll be mixing more closely with people on foot so you just need to slow down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Wow, thus thread is still going and this Mikey guy has not stopped :O i thought it was just a scorned phase from him

Advertisement