Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Mikey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Pretty balanced view of Mikey's videos here. Ashley himself can be a bit pompous but in fairness he's very level headed and does give good advice.

Yeah Ashley can be a bit preachy at times but generally has decent content on his channel. The one he mentions he had to reupload due to a privacy complaint is well worth a look 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Hmm this is interesting alright.

I generally agree with a lot of what Ashley says. Pro education and safety. And I've repeatedly said that I do believe arguments/engagement with drivers doesn't do much to change behaviour (not opening that can of worms again...) but I do think Ashley contradicts himself a little. I believe he does have a little bit of a chip on his shoulder with regards to cyclists (but works hard to hide it..). It's a little disingenuous to say Mikey doesn't call out fellow cyclists (he does actually do this). Wee bit sneaky to complain about people creating us Vs them situation, while piling in to do the same..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The clip from Mikey at 5:30 shows him in a bad light. He does this while moving, tries to distract and infuriate (failing miserably), follows up while the driver is moving off, cuts across to turn left. This I disagree with. Once it had been pointed out, she immediately stopped and moved off. The event was over, following her down the road while she is driving (different if she was stationary) and shouting is not safe or smart. No issue with CM in general but that type of behaviour doesn't strike me as safe or particularly useful. I also don't particularly like Ashley, promoting ditch to ditch driving to reduce car wear and tear is as stupid as those people who won't run their dims during the day as the bulb won't last as long. It's a false economy and actually just muppetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have unsubscribed from Ashley - one of his recent videos targeting cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

i just saw this thread and watched a couple of videos of him jumping out of a bush, i can't believe someone hasn't lumped him out of it, one day he'll do it to the wrong person

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fairly biased video from Ashley, Mikey regularely calls out other cyclist for going wrong way on that junction and also salmon when he encounters them. To claim he doesn't is 100% wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

But he doesn't threaten to report them to police like he does with the drivers

He's calling him out for what he is. Pompous self aggrandising lady part. He could and should quietly report people if he wants to. All this confrontational grand standing is purely for thumbs up - I mean you can not even make a disagreement to him on his channel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How do you propose the police charge them if he did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ah here, don't let logic get in the way of the (motorists) comments above.

"Pompous self aggrandising lady part"

What are you, 13? 🙄

Why should he quietly report people? There's much more of a benefit of idiots being aware that cyclists can and will record and report their dangerous behaviour. Doing it quietly means less idiots will be aware of this so they won't change their behaviour.

If making these idiots public even makes 2 out of 2000 people change their behaviour then its very worth it as it'll be 2 less dangerous people on the roads.

The Gardai have a facebook page and they post about charges they take against people. Should they just quietly charge people?

😂

I don't think gardi make a public spectacle on the street for attention. Let him report and video if he wants but there is nothing mature about roaring at people and tantrums in the street. Definite the other video man is correct.

Or is it like his youtube that only support can be posting?

I've watched plenty of mikey's videos, I've never heard him roaring at people or having any tantrum. He's talked in a clam manner and only loud part I can remember off hand is the time he did chicken noises after a guy, but then he had just been assaulted. (police paid that chicken a visit)

All I've seen is grown adults acting like children throwing toys out of prams, name call, threaten him and yet be 100% in the wrong due to their dangerous behavior.

You need to try harder, maybe try digging up next time 🤣

Laws pertaining to cycling? I'm sure they exist in the UK. Not being from there I don't know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Lol he often does the chicken noises, not just that one time!

That's when he'd at his best/worst..

So you want him to report cyclists but you dont know if any laws exist to do so 🤣

For all we know he does report cyclists but he follows LorenzoB's advise and doesn't make any of it public, but he finds the police aren't interested and would rather go after the bigger and more dangerous fish 😀

(the idiot people who can't drive safely)

They of course exist. I said I don't know them as I don't cycle/live in the UK. Do you know the laws related to motorised vehicles in the UK?

So you're saying if he reports said cyclists ( there doesn't appear to by any evidence to support that) they don't deserve to be publicly called out as he does with car drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

One thing that is clear from his videos which you appear to miss is he always focuses on what is the bigger danger and what kills the most people. That would be cars.

Priorities are important with your time especially when you want to create a meaningful impact, wouldn't you agree?

• Advertisement

Yes cars are a bigger danger. While they are less of a danger, there still have been people killed by cyclists. Case in point, the cyclists going the wrong side of the road on that gandalf corner who could potentially knock down a pedestrian crossing the road looking the opposite way

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

But even at that, he's seems to sometimes ignore one bigger danger for another if it looks like he'll get a rise out of the driver.

That's quite clearly not a case in point - it's hypothesis.

So as an example how many people have been killed by a) cars breaking red lights and b) cyclists breaking red lifhts in the UK over say a 10 year period.

I await your stats. I can only assume you are trying to big up the danger caused by a cyclist based on actual figures?

Or are you just imagining dangers?

LoL trying your best to just be argumentive now just because I questioned cyclists. I already said cars are a bigger danger. There have been pedstrians killed/injured by cyclists. Yes it's a small figure but isn't even one death/injury worth avoiding?

So a car doing same at the junction is just hypothesis too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I'm a cyclist and to be fair to him he's right about the law in the clips i've seen, granted only a few, but the way he go's about it i find very weird, honestly i don't think the guy is all there mentally and fully expect to read someday he's been attacked. I'm happy not to be a cyclist like him, or others with their cameras looking for trouble.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure where you're going with this? You said cyclists kill people too, referenced a case in point, but simply gave a hypothetical scenario. All I'm saying is that this is not a case in point. A case in point would link to an article, or a report/ statistics or something. Meanwhile we're smashing through last year's statistics for people killed in car accidents this year. Case in point - ‘Appalling start to the year’ – road deaths in 2022 almost double last year - Independent.ie

It's pure logic and statistics - something that seems to go out the window with in the whole 'whaddabout cyclists breaking lights' argument any time road safety is brought up. There's a reason why people who get around other than solely in cars get up in arms about drivers breaking the law - it's because statistically someone speeding, breaking red lights or reading their phone is more likely to cause an accident, and that logically and statistically someone hit by a car is more likely to suffer serious injury than someone hit by a cyclist.

So, people whose response to criticism of driving behaviour and culture is to say "yeah well cyclists" is simply engaging in whataboutery and not actually concerned with the carnage caused on our roads as a direct result of the type of actions I mentioned above.

Yes, cyclists can be d!cks. But even if there were as many d!cks cycling as there are driving, my chances of being killed or injured by the driving d!ck are much higher.

Advertisement