Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Mikey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Where does he get all the time? Fair enough if you spot these things on your regular commute, but this is a professional curtain twitcher. A very sad individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

crazy 88 wrote: »
    Where does he get all the time? Fair enough if you spot these things on your regular commute, but this is a professional curtain twitcher. A very sad individual.

Retired? He clearly isn't working with all that free time. At least righttobikeit is posting from his commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

Nine less dangerous drivers than would be on the road if Mikey wasn't doing his thing.

Ok, putting aside everything else I've said, let's go with nine less dangerous drivers (sorry, km)

Apart from those nine people not being able to drive, what has been the outcome, or result, of them not being on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

But I would have to agree with earlier posters. It must be about the YouTube clicks at this stage given his style.

He's a skate training teacher I have seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

But I would have to agree with earlier posters. It must be about the YouTube clicks at this stage given his style.

Pop psychology hat on here but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he is motivated by the tragic death of his father at the hands of a drunk driver and that may (entirely understandably) be influencing his style somewhat. Unlike some other YouTubers I don't believe he is purely doing it for YouTube money (although probably doing not bad from it at this stage) but genuinely believes his little chats are 'helping'.

That's my take, pure speculation, not going to be pulling peer reviewed research papers or stats.

Christ I need lockdown to end soon lol I've nearly as much time on my hands as Mikey.. irony aside, I've always wondered how he got the info on points/fines etc as I was pretty sure they wouldn't give that info to the reporter.. I actually think he's putting in a freedom of information request for each one (one of the videos was numbered FOIXXXX).

I wonder if that's automated or just more work (for him and the authorities). I'm gonna guess it still pays off - but he must spend a lot of time in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,018 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Says the lad twitching the curtain to look at the Mikey discussion thread...

Where do people get the time to be posting on Boards about him?

km991148 wrote: »
    Christ I need lockdown to end soon lol I've nearly as much time on my hands as Mikey.. irony aside, I've always wondered how he got the info on points/fines etc as I was pretty sure they wouldn't give that info to the reporter.. I actually think he's putting in a freedom of information request for each one (one of the videos was numbered FOIXXXX).

I wonder if that's automated or just more work (for him and the authorities). I'm gonna guess it still pays off - but he must spend a lot of time in this!

I think he gets a formal response from the police on the outcome of his complaint - another aspect where the UK's system is superior to here.

cletus wrote: »
    Ok, putting aside everything else I've said, let's go with nine less dangerous drivers (sorry, km)

Apart from those nine people not being able to drive, what has been the outcome, or result, of them not being on the road

The outcome is that the roads are safer for all road users than they would be if those nine drivers were still driving.

• Advertisement

The outcome is that the roads are safer for all road users than they would be if those nine drivers were still driving.

And have you some method of quantifying this? Is there some metric you can apply that shows greater safety

Retired? He clearly isn't working with all that free time. At least righttobikeit is posting from his commute.

He has mentioned working in what sounds like a personal care role for a person with a disability.

And have you some method of quantifying this? Is ther come metric you can apply that shows greater safety

The metric is the absence of nine dangerous drivers.

Why do you think we have a penalty points system that disqualifies dangerous drivers?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why do you think we have a penalty points system that disqualifies dangerous drivers?

Disqualified doesn't mean they're not driving.

Also, you've come very close to personally insulting 2 posters now in this thread, and I note that 1 has come close to personally insulting you. However stop with the posting things as an absolute proof when they are not, all the while insisting on the proof of others.

Everyone else. We think we get it and we're eveyone stands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Says the lad twitching the curtain to look at the Mikey discussion thread...

Is that you Mikey

Weepsie wrote: »
    Disqualified doesn't mean they're not driving.

If they are still driving, do you reckon that they are all driving in the same reckless manner that brought them to police attention in the past? And do you reckon that the drivers who got the 800+ penalty points issued as a result of his report, do you reckon they're all driving in the same reckless manner as before?

If they are still driving, do you reckon that they are all driving in the same reckless manner that brought them to police attention in the past? And do you reckon that the drivers who got the 800+ penalty points issued as a result of his report, do you reckon they're all driving in the same reckless manner as before?

No one knows as it's all speculation at the end of the day (and that's kinda the point).

It's probably reasonable to assume dishing out points and fines does change driver behaviour for the better, otherwise we would have changed the system at some point.

It's also reasonable for some people to assume that winding people up doesn't help.

Both if these are ultimately assumptions.. which neither of us have evidence or studies to back up or test these assumptions.

If I'm not mistaken you've asked for evidence on the second point about the passive aggression or wind ups hence why people are probably asking you for evidence to prove the first point.

Experience tells me (and stats too disqualified driver nos are up 33% in the uk as of last year according to the dvla) that yeah, many of them are.

We have quarter of a million people in ireland with penalty points for some offence or other. I can't remember how many of them exactly, but it was a high percentage have more than 1 offence. Repeat offenders are just that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Usually while I'm driving. It's why some of my posts might come across as distracted.

Experience tells me (and stats too disqualified driver nos are up 33% in the uk as of last year according to the dvla) that yeah, many of them are.

We have quarter of a million people in ireland with penalty points for some offence or other. I can't remember how many of them exactly, but it was a high percentage have more than 1 offence. Repeat offenders are just that.

An increase in the number of disqualified drivers tells you nothing about whether those drivers are still driving.

What's your best guess - do you reckon some of the nine dangerous drivers, including the recognisable Guy Ritchie have stopped driving for the period of disqualification?

• Advertisement

That's a fine example of circular logic.

Everyone here acknowledges that the reporting that this man does is a good thing. I acknowledged it myself in the second post of the thread. The manner in which he goes about it, however, is frankly odd.

He would appear to spend inordinate amounts of time standing in bushes to catch, what are most of the time, fairly minor offences. Your comparison of that behaviour with people posting on boards about it is a red herring.

You have either developed, or bought into, a narrative whereby this man is singlehandedly making the streets of London safer. You continue to talk about "dangerous drivers" as if they were a separate class of driver, removed from all other class of drivers, which vastly oversimplifies the interactions that happen daily on all streets between road users

The problem is, there's no way for you, or anyone else, to measure the impact of what he does. The removal of those nine people from the road is not going to show up in fatality or collision statistics, which is why you don't refer to them.

The only thing that can be factually stated is that he has contributed to nine drivers being removed from streets of London due to breaking the law

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

You are delusional if you think all fines/disqualifications change attitudes.

I saw a stat that 98% of motorists in Ireland break the speed limit in Ireland, probably most people in this forum who drive are in that 98%. I've had speed tickets and fines, i'm now back down to 0 points but I only found myself over the speed limit this morning, the fines didn't change my attitude.

I've a friend who drives for a living and has 10 driving points and was caught speeding again, her husband took the points so she could stay driving on the road.

I grew up in very rural Ireland where drink driving is rife, I know disqualified drivers who were caught drink driving who still drive in the locality.

All above are different arguments but again, you are delusional if you think all fines/disqualifications change attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I saw a stat that 98% of motorists in Ireland break the speed limit in Ireland, probably most people in this forum who drive are in that 98%. I've had speed tickets and fines, i'm now back down to 0 points but I only found myself over the speed limit this morning, the fines didn't change my attitude.

:pac: That's a weird journey of self-discovery.

The only thing that can be factually stated is that he has contributed to nine drivers being removed from streets of London due to breaking the law

Not even. 9 drivers have received a driving ban. A lot of people are downright (unts and will drive anyway.

But I would like to think most people cop on s bit when the points are handed out.

Some people can't help but rack em up and an even smaller subset just don't care.

An increase in the number of disqualified drivers tells you nothing about whether those drivers are still driving.

What's your best guess - do you reckon some of the nine dangerous drivers, including the recognisable Guy Ritchie have stopped driving for the period of disqualification?

You're really clutching at straws here. I'll ring his agent and ask him.

I noted also, that "Mikey" is requested by the Met to remove the videos form all social media. Presumably as they are potentially then prejudicial. Yet he doesn't.

So he is ignoring a direct request from the Met because it suits him. He's a bit of a weird fantasist in my opinion and nearly seems like he gets off on the attention judging by the sheer number of media pieces he did about the incident.

No problem with him reporting drivers (nobody seems to). He could just report it and be done though which is what most rational people would do, except maybe in some exceptional circumstances.

I noted also, that "Mikey" is requested by the Met to remove the videos form all social media. Presumably as they are potentially then prejudicial. Yet he doesn't.

I think I'm right in saying he does wait until fines are issued etc. Did you see something where he doesn't?
    I don't know the full process tho and how long he is supposed to wait etc.

Potentially as well tho, could he inadvertently screw up the cases with having the chats. I'm sure a good lawyer would argue some kind of harassment etc make out there was stuff going on before some of the cases.

I've a friend who drives for a living and has 10 driving points and was caught speeding again, her husband took the points so she could stay driving on the road.

I grew up in very rural Ireland where drink driving is rife, I know disqualified drivers who were caught drink driving who still drive in the locality.

All above are different arguments but again, you are delusional if you think all fines/disqualifications change attitudes.
    Where exactly did I say that all fines and disqualifications change attitudes?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

If they are still driving, do you reckon that they are all driving in the same reckless manner

Right, not attitude but manner.

Example:
    a person's outward bearing or way of behaving towards others.
    "his arrogance and pompous manner"
    Similar:
    demeanour
    air
    aspect
    attitude
    appearance
    look
    bearing

You didn't say actually - only that fines and disqualifications remove dangerous drivers.

Instead you said that YouTube acts as a deterrent (Acting as a deterrent presumably can be read as changing attitudes)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

All that proves is there is a lack of enforcement.

Advertisement