Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking an American Football Team to Support

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

So I started watching American Football on Channel 4 in 1984. First game I saw was the Los Angeles Raiders v Houston Oilers and I was hooked.....on the Raiders. So over the years I've ate mountains of humble pie and seen season after season become a false dawn but there's no other team I'd rather support. Once you pick your team, thats it. My son has supported Minnesota for the last 8 years and would never consider switching either. Each season, we always put a small bet on the Vikings. I started it when he was 9 or 10 and we've just kept doing it. Once you invest time in a team, you just would not change. I read earlier about the Broncos fan that would rather drink piss than follow the Raiders! I'm not that emotionally charged about my fellow divisional teams (For the record, my all time fav non-raider QB is John Elway) but if Pittsburgh or New England were playing the Devil, I'd find a reason to support ol Beelzebub!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

FTR!

Ha seriously though, it's really hard to get worked up as some do Stateside about our two divisional rivals in the Chiefs and the Raiders. But that's purely down to the friction of distance.

I mean, I was on the Chiefs-train the last two SBs.

That being said, unlike some of our American brethren we do seem to get a team for life regardless of our initial tenuous reasons for getting them. And this is coming from a man who criticises the shít out of Irish followers of premier league teams! The amount of times I've read on Reddit about people changing teams for one reason or another. I find that bizarre. But sure it's the culture of the States to go after the winner.

Like you though, I would drink Beelzebub's piss before shouting for the Patriots. Except this October 4th of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭L.S.F

Like a lot said, let the team come to you.

I watched NFL for a few years and said i would never follow a "franchise" in it. After a while a few pieces came into place and ended up following the JEts.

Mates who were watching it for years are Steelers and Dolphins fans so were always a few games where they were very anti-Jets so I would be up for them just to annoy them when they played. I liked Eric Decker and he signed for the Jets had me a bit more interest, and then my missus was a fan of the Dennis Byrd story which was another connection. Then was in New York and think that was the final piece. By the time the London game v the Dolphins came I was a proper fan.

Have seen them twice at MetLife now and hope to get tickets for the London game in October now.

Green Bay were the other team I was leaning towards as Aaron Rodgers was my favourite QB and they are fan owned too.

Advertisement