Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Power Supply Help Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 StemCell

If the laptop is 10 years old sounds like you're throwing good money after bad.
    I'm assuming it's not running Windows 10?

But if you do a search of the model "KSAFK1900474T1M2", then eBay shows a compatible one for less. As one example....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/24006876339
    Which says it's £11.85+ £7.99 postage sterling

The first of your links has less current ( less amps ) so may not charge while you're using it. The 2nd link is far too expensive at €50+ for a 10 year old laptop, it would be better to invest in a more recent 2nd hand laptop which comes which a working charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks for that yeah I know but it's the parents and they're stuck in their ways.

Yeah I see lots of options there, don't know why it didn't think of searching for the model number tbh.

Do you think I can chance going for the lower amps though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Thats a 90W one you have; I imagine your battery is shagged by now, so wont be using much power to charge.
    60W is about the minimum, probably work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I’ve been using the wrong one for years ( my battery is long wrecked) and it gives me the same warning every time I start it. I’m too lazy to bother but if I had to buy a ‘new’ one I’d definately match the power of what I had. New laptop - even a second hand one - would cost hundreds - a power charger will set you back little enough - and you won’t have to move all your programmes, files and apps - or sign up for annual licenses for new one at e100 a go.

Do you have a local chinese ‘repair’ shop? They usually have everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd go for one of the universal ones, just bring your connector in and check it matches the medion one you have. If its just a case of the wires breaking you can alaways do a DIY fix. I fixed mine by snipping out the bad section and rewiring it using these below, and a very healthy wrapping of electrical tape.

If the cable break is before the transformer box then just cut it there and wire a plug on. Don't use the connectors on the full mains supply!

0-599-00-box-of-10-durite-15a-nylon-cable-connector-strips-main.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Inquitus wrote: »
    I'd go for one of the universal ones, just bring your connector in and check it matches the medion one you have. If its just a case of the wires breaking you can alaways do a DIY fix. I fixed mine by snipping out the bad section and rewiring it using these below, and a very healthy wrapping of electrical tape.

If the cable break is before the transformer box then just cut it there and wire a plug on. Don't use the connectors on the full mains supply!

If the cable is broken on the mains side, just replace it. It's a standard C7 connector and most houses have a few lying around - printers, radios etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

New laptop - even a second hand one - would cost hundreds - a power charger will set you back little enough - and you won’t have to move all your programmes, files and apps - or sign up for annual licenses for new one at e100 a go.

Bit sensationalist. I bought my parents a 2nd hand i5-3rd gen laptop with an SSD and 4GB ram for €130 on Ebay a year or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

The one in Cuurys is closer to your needs. Check dc plug is compatible.
    The Amazon one is 60 Watts is significantly below the approx 90 Watts of the existing unit.

Advertisement