Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recurrent pink eye

Options
  • 09-03-2021 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I am plagued with pink eye over the last four months. Discovered seven ewes with it this morning. Had outbreaks in November, December and late January. First outbreak 37 ewes and each time treated them successfully and had them in quarantine for two weeks before joining the main flock. The ewes today are dry and outside feeding on silage with a little nuts as I intended selling them now when prices are good. I had a few with it about 15 years ago and it cleared up without any problems. Had vet out as well. Treatment works but why are they becoming reinfected????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

I am plagued with pink eye over the last four months. Discovered seven ewes with it this morning. Had outbreaks in November, December and late January. First outbreak 37 ewes and each time treated them successfully and had them in quarantine for two weeks before joining the main flock. The ewes today are dry and outside feeding on silage with a little nuts as I intended selling them now when prices are good. I had a few with it about 15 years ago and it cleared up without any problems. Had vet out as well. Treatment works but why are they becoming reinfected????

Had done this year too for first time in 20 years. Most will clear up by themselves but obviously u want to treat where possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Had a good number with this issue late last year.Treated some and left others alone.Both lots cleared up although the untreated ones took a little longer .
    Had a couple after housing but they cleared up pretty quickly without spreading throughout the rest of them.
    All ewes eyes have cleared up at this stage and no blind ones.Some were totally blind with 2 fully clouded eyes .

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mayoireland

I had that last back end .I put up what I found out about. Look up sheep blindness 2020

Advertisement