Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to do with 50" Panasonic Plasma?

Options
  • 09-03-2021 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting a new TV. I currently have a TH-50PZ81B Panasonic plasma. Still works perfectly but the black levels are no longer what they were. It can't decode Saorview terrestrial video channels but the inbuilt satellite receiver that gets Freesat works. It's a great gaming display as there is no trailing and imperceptible input lag.

Anyone know if there is market for selling such a thing? I'm inclined to have it collected and recycled as per the WEEE directive, but if there is a market for it I might reconsider.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

You could check Adverts.ie “sold” ads for plasma TVs for an idea of market value - someone might fancy it as a second screen. I’ve seen plasma TVs advertised for up to about €200, not sure what the market would be like at the moment with restrictions etc. Having the option of getting it collected and recycled has the benefit of a clean break as it were.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I'm on a similar position myself. My 2011 Panasonic V20 is getting a little washed out. I originally had it calibrated by Gordon Fraser a few months after I bought it. Unfortunately while trying to look up hours of usage in the settings I inadvertently did a factory reset and lost professional 1 and 2 settings. It is still pretty good but I'm itching to move to an oled. My heart says a 65" Panasonic hz tv but my head says a Sony a8. However, prices remain stubbornly high among all retailers. I'm going to put the v20 in a house I'm going to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm on a similar position myself. My 2011 Panasonic V20 is getting a little washed out. I originally had it calibrated by Gordon Fraser a few months after I bought it. Unfortunately while trying to look up hours of usage in the settings I inadvertently did a factory reset and lost professional 1 and 2 settings. It is still pretty good but I'm itching to move to an oled. My heart says a 65" Panasonic hz tv but my head says a Sony a8. However, prices remain stubbornly high among all retailers. I'm going to put the v20 in a house I'm going to rent.

The LG OLED65CX5LA can be had on special at a number of retailers at 10% off until midnight, like DID electrical, elctrocity if you are quick.

cnocbui wrote: »
    The LG OLED65CX5LA can be had on special at a number of retailers at 10% off until midnight, like DID electrical, elctrocity if you are quick.

Was looking at the lg but I've had Panasonic and Sony all along. The web os is superior I believe but I think the Panasonic or Sony shade it slightly

I ended up putting the Panny on Adverts and sold it for €100 within two days.

Better than just having it picked up for WEEE recycling for nothing when my LG 65 OLED was delivered., which was supposed to have been yesterday, but unfortunately Richersounds courier/dropshipper decided to f%$K me over and not deliver it after I had waited 7 days for it, so I cancelled the order then placed another with a different retailer.

Now I have to wait another 7 days I suppose, but hopefully I wont get jerked around this time.

• Advertisement

I instituted a personal lifetime ban on buying anything from Sony, so they are out. I am perplexed at the idea that other manufacturers would be buying panels from LG and ending up with a visually better result.

I wouldn't buy another Panny after they refused to do an firmware update that would have made Saorview usable on mine. Those in the know claim they instituted a non standard implimentation of the specs and all they had to was change a single bit in the firmware to make it standards compliant and Saorview channels would have been viewable.

I guess it saved me from watching any Irish TV brooadcasts for the past 12 or so years, so maybe I should thank them.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I instituted a personal lifetime ban on buying anything from Sony, so they are out. I am perplexed at the idea that other manufacturers would be buying panels from LG and ending up with a visually better result.

I wouldn't buy another Panny after they refused to do an firmware update that would have made Saorview usable on mine. Those in the know claim they instituted a non standard implimentation of the specs and all they had to was change a single bit in the firmware to make it standards compliant and Saorview channels would have been viewable.

I guess it saved me from watching any Irish TV brooadcasts for the past 12 or so years, so maybe I should thank them.

I would be interested in hearing how you get on with the lg picture wise. I think that the processor in the Japanese TVs are superior to most of them her TV manufacturers. I'm hearing good early reports about the new 2021 panels and their overall better peak brightness.

I would be interested in hearing how you get on with the lg picture wise. I think that the processor in the Japanese TVs are superior to most of them her TV manufacturers. I'm hearing good early reports about the new 2021 panels and their overall better peak brightness.

I'm probably not the best person to be providing feedback as I am easily pleased and wouldn't go setting up complicated profiles and such.

My son got a 55" LG OLED recently as a gaming 'monitor' and I viewed some photos I have taken on it and that was enough for me. I'm fussy about processing my own photos, but not so much movies.

I had a quick look and thought only the very top LG OLED range would be getting the new panels, while those in my price bracket would be the same as current ones.

Advertisement