Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI Multi trip cover during COVID, premium refund?

• 09-03-2021 8:52pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure where is the best place to to put this, could be here, travel, or the COVID forum.

Bought an annual policy last January, obviously didn't get to go away due to the pandemic. Asked last summer if there would be a part refund given we couldn't travel so could not claim (similar to VHI Healthcare) got ignored.

Raised a formal complaint, got told they wrote to me (never got the letter). They sent me a pdf copy, basically saying no refund as we could still travel to places on the green list. Responded saying the government always advised against any non essential travel and the list didn't come out straight away anyway.

No reply.

I feel VHI are just dodging this and not even responding to complaints in the agreed timeframe. We have paid a premium for multi trip cover that was useless.

To top it off they are pushing out our renewal date by 6 months with free 6 months cover....that we can't use as we are not allowed to travel?!?!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It's down to policy conditions. If it doesn't state you are entitled to a refund in the event of a global pandemic, then you're at nothing, other than whatever gesture they care to make

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

It's down to policy conditions. If it doesn't state you are entitled to a refund in the event of a global pandemic, then you're at nothing, other than whatever gesture they care to make

Thanks, i doubt their T&Cs mention a pandemic, they're not that common.

Its the ignoring a question or complaint that is pissing me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

VHI are giving 75 euro per person against approx 1000 euro.
    How much was your travel insurance?

Bojill wrote: »
    VHI are giving 75 euro per person against approx 1000 euro.
    How much was your travel insurance?

Yeah I know that and the travel premium was nowhere near that. I'd take a free new travel policy when restrictions are lifted and travel allowed but it ain''t going to happen.

The fact is your health policy still covered GPs etc during the pandemic and your car insurance covered theft from outside your house during the same pandemic.

Travel insurance covered absolutely nothing as we went supposed to leave the country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Thanks, i doubt their T&Cs mention a pandemic, they're not that common.

Its the ignoring a question or complaint that is pissing me off.

You got an answer to your original question, now if that answer is not in line with the terms of the contract, you have reason to complain further. But if you don’t take the time to read the contract you signed, you’ll never know.

Insurance companies put a lot of time, effort and money into drafting these contracts and pretty much every eventuality is covered in one form or another. So knowing what exactly they are relying on would be central to any successful claim.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You got an answer to your original question, now if that answer is not in line with the terms of the contract, you have reason to complain further. But if you don’t take the time to read the contract you signed, you’ll never know.

Insurance companies put a lot of time, effort and money into drafting these contracts and pretty much every eventuality is covered in one form or another. So knowing what exactly they are relying on would be central to any successful claim.

Thanks for that.

Advertisement