Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barley Mow Francis Street

Options
  • 09-03-2021 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

Looks like its (finally) being demolished, just curious as to what the history of the pub is and if anyone knows what the plans for the site are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pub closed 1999 but was actually licenced until 2018 or so. There's coverage of it in its operating days and an interview with descendents of the old operators in the Francis Street Photographer documentary that is probably still on RTÉ Player.

It was meant to be redeveloped in 1999 I believe but nothing happened until 2004 when they applied for apartments which never happened due to the crash.

There was a deliberately destructive art project done it after closure - plenty of pics of the interior when it closed there, with a lot of bitumen in it!

There's an aparthotel going in on the site; the conservation architecture report said that the remains were completely unsaveable even though they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

L1011 wrote: »
    Pub closed 1999 but was actually licenced until 2018 or so. There's coverage of it in its operating days and an interview with descendents of the old operators in the Francis Street Photographer documentary that is probably still on RTÉ Player.

It was meant to be redeveloped in 1999 I believe but nothing happened until 2004 when they applied for apartments which never happened due to the crash.

There was a deliberately destructive art project done it after closure - plenty of pics of the interior when it closed there, with a lot of bitumen in it!

There's an aparthotel going in on the site; the conservation architecture report said that the remains were completely unsaveable even though they wanted to.

I have a recollection of it reopening briefly maybe 8-10 years ago? Maybe even 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

The bitumen art project is extraordinary! Interesting to see the inside of the bar too.

We drove past it today and seeing the builders immediately wondered aparthotel or student accommodation...you'd have to think the character of the area is being ripped by the quantity of these being thrown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have a recollection of it reopening briefly maybe 8-10 years ago? Maybe even 15 years ago.

Its derelict as hell in 2009 Streetview.

Are you thinking of the Bayno down the road which was open and closed on and off for years? Now Anti Social.

Barley Mow could still have reopened after 99 of course, someone kept the licence alive the entire time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Its derelict as hell in 2009 Streetview.

Are you thinking of the Bayno down the road which was open and closed on and off for years? Now Anti Social.

Barley Mow could still have reopened after 99 of course, someone kept the licence alive the entire time.

Given the dimming of the brain by the gargle over the years I could well be confusing the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

Just what the area needs, another appart-hotel

Advertisement